Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Star Lord wrote: »
    They're based in Rialto, offer collection on some things, but doesn't seem to be available on the Pi 2 B at least.

What are you looking to run on it?

Anything they have on hand, you can order at the sales desk...just take an age for them to pick it from their stores and drop it to the sales desk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Anyone thinking of using the B+ for retro gaming purposes though should watch the comparison videos of games running on the B+ and the 2 B. And SNES games that used the Super FX chips for example run incredibly slowly on the B+, and run well on the 2 B. Haven't gotten to try most of the MAME games yet, but the (80s/early 90s) ones I've got going on the 2 B so far ran great, but the B+ would probably have no problem with them either.

I agree, i originally thought there would be no or very little difference between the B+ vs the Pi2 B (latest Pi)

But after a quick search of youtube a while back this video perfectly shows the differences...

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Is this the cheapest price for everything for the pi in one kit? I've no computer display so i need the keyboard etc.
    http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-2-starter-kit

Just need to buy a SNES USB also. Any ideas where I can grab one cheap?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Access wrote: »
    I agree, i originally thought there would be no or very little difference between the B+ vs the Pi2 B (latest Pi)

But after a quick search of youtube a while back this video perfectly shows the differences...

The B+ had next to no performance change from the regular B, biggest difference was changing to MicroSD + and better USB management.

I've both Pi's............well, just the Pi 2 now since the other one decided to die.............and can say there's easily a massive jump in performance.

PS1 games that were iffy or unplayable now run solidly. Runs any game I've thrown at it at full speed with no slowdown, Road Rash runs butter smooth.

N64 isn't great but better emulation down the line should help, at the moment Mario Kart is the most popular playable game on it. The emulators are pretty messy at the moment for it.

SuperFX runs no problem now, before they was a stuttering mess.

Mame will cover a few games but it's struggled with more games I've thrown at it than not. Will handle 80's / early 90's like Snow Bros / Street Fighter stuff well while some games like Sunset Riders will make it splutter, Mortal Kombat will is a no-go. Haven't delved much into it yet out of all the other emulators so can't say much more about that.

Neo Geo is perfect, no problems while I was having stuttering issues before because of changing refresh rate depending on output (had the PI B set up to be used on both HDMI + composite)

Running EmulationStation with Kodi added to the list. I put it up in the spare room (The GF's woman cave) where she can boot it up and watch whatever through Kodi and I just play whatever tickles me fancy when I use it. Played a full episode in Quake one Saturday, felt wrong playing it with the Xbox controller but was playable.

Had it set up like that since February when it was released and haven't had one problem with it, unlike the regular Pi which brought some interesting problems every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Running EmulationStation with Kodi added to the list. I put it up in the spare room (The GF's woman cave) where she can boot it up and watch whatever through Kodi and I just play whatever tickles me fancy when I use it. Played a full episode in Quake one Saturday, felt wrong playing it with the Xbox controller but was playable.

So you're booting to emulationstation on the pi 2, but are you saying that in emulationstation you can choose to select/run kodi like you would select nes or snes etc. on the main menu? If so pretty cool, havent setup my pi 2 with anything other then kodi at the moment... must get on this, this weekend.

• Advertisement

Access wrote: »
    So you're booting to emulationstation on the pi 2, but are you saying that in emulationstation you can choose to select/run kodi like you would select nes or snes etc. on the main menu? If so pretty cool, havent setup my pi 2 with anything other then kodi at the moment... must get on this, this weekend.

Yea, boots to ES and Kodi is the first item on the list.

Select it and that boots it up. The Xbox controller stops working as it sees it but refuses to acknowledge buttons (Gamestop controller, sooooo many problems setting this fúcker up in general on a Pi)

Workaround is a USB keyboard that's always plugged in that the GF uses whereas I just use Yatse.

WiFi had to be externally set up in a script as Kodi wouldn't "see" a wifi dongle. Basically it connects to the network before it loads Kodi.

When you quit Kodi it should then exit back to ES though 1 out of every 5 times or so it'll fail and you're looking at a wall of text, a known bug when I did it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ive got OSMC now instead of Kodi.
    Might be worth a try.
    Didnt have the wireless issue you have on Kodi either.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Ive got OSMC now instead of Kodi.
    Might be worth a try.
    Didnt have the wireless issue you have on Kodi either.

Everything is all working perfectly fine now so not gonna touch anything if ain't broke in case something screws up again :pac:

Only small problem is that the Xbox controller's LED flashes if using xpad, if I use xboxdrv I can fix that but then both the controller AND keyboard cease to function completely (have to remote connect to type functions) leaving it in a worse off state. It's a problem moreso with having a different controller to the genuine one.

So....
    whos the expert on python programming?
    I have an idea thats simple enough but need some direction !

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So....
    whos the expert on python programming?
    I have an idea thats simple enough but need some direction !

Thanks

I know a guy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Thought I'd reboot an old thread rather than starting a new one.

I finally bought one of these yesterday after putting it off for a rather long time.

I was thinking about picking up a wired 360 controller for it, but I don't like the d-pad. Would one of the cheapo generic USB SNES controllers work well with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Thought I'd reboot an old thread rather than starting a new one.

I finally bought one of these yesterday after putting it off for a rather long time.

I was thinking about picking up a wired 360 controller for it, but I don't like the d-pad. Would one of the cheapo generic USB SNES controllers work well with it?

Depends on the build you use, RetroPie has generic HID drivers which these usually use.

You may need to use a keyboard or a 360 pad to get to the reconfig screen in the first place though, switch controllers then reconfigure.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Never managed to get mine running properly, must give it another go!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Never managed to get mine running properly, must give it another go!

Ha, I'll probably be in the same boat. I'm going to set OpenElec up on a separate MicroSD card too though, so at least I'll get some use out of it in the meantime!

Advertisement