Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Hey lads whats the easiest emulator setup to use with the pi. I mean the one that needs the least messing around with code to get controllers etc to work. Im a complete idiot in relation to linux or programming. Any help appriciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hey lads whats the easiest emulator setup to use with the pi. I mean the one that needs the least messing around with code to get controllers etc to work. Im a complete idiot in relation to linux or programming. Any help appriciated.

Thanks

This handsome lad's tutorial series may be able to assist you:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/SWYCo8oX3jw-M

;-)

MrVestek wrote: »
    This handsome lad's tutorial series may be able to assist you:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/SWYCo8oX3jw-M

;-)

Only tutorial that I could follow that got me as far as having everything installed and running but ran into trouble getting screen sizes to fit and the controllers to work. I'm not great with code and getting that far took me a weekend. But welldone on the vids very easy to follow even for a thick like me. Was hoping I could download a finished image some were with controls and screen set looks like ill stick to PC for now.

Only tutorial that I could follow that got me as far as having everything installed and running but ran into trouble getting screen sizes to fit and the controllers to work. I'm not great with code and getting that far took me a weekend. But welldone on the vids very easy to follow even for a thick like me. Was hoping I could download a finished image some were with controls and screen set looks like ill stick to PC for now.

Unfortunately that's not really possible to do considering that different people have different controllers with different drivers and different driver mappings etc.

Which bit are you stuck on? Feel free to PM me if you need a hand. Messing with cfg files is awkward alright I will give you that.

What resolution are you running everything in? 720p? 1080p? I think Emulation Station from the bat is designed to run rather well with composite resolutions so some emulators are set to 480p (or 480i) on purpose in order to make it look pretty on older CRT TVs.

Should be easy enough to change though.

If you need a full desktop to work with quit back to the command like and type in 'startx'. This will start the regular Raspbian desktop which should be easier for you to work with in regards to editing cfg files etc.

It'll certainly make it easier to navigate instead of using bash (the command line).

MrVestek wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's not really possible to do considering that different people have different controllers with different drivers and different driver mappings etc.

Which bit are you stuck on? Feel free to PM me if you need a hand. Messing with cfg files is awkward alright I will give you that.

What resolution are you running everything in? 720p? 1080p? I think Emulation Station from the bat is designed to run rather well with composite resolutions so some emulators are set to 480p (or 480i) on purpose in order to make it look pretty on older CRT TVs.

Should be easy enough to change though.

If you need a full desktop to work with quit back to the command like and type in 'startx'. This will start the regular Raspbian desktop which should be easier for you to work with in regards to editing cfg files etc.

It'll certainly make it easier to navigate instead of using bash (the command line).

Cheers for the help didn't know you could go out to raspbian. I have it hooked to a HD TV through Hdmi so I guess 720/1080p I'm using a ps3 controller through USB. I'll give it another bash this weekend I may pm you if I get stuck thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

[url]Http://elinux.org/RPiconfig[/url]

Everything explained about the config file here.

So, after some dodgy soldering I got the lcd installed on the Pi. Heres a couple of pics and a quick vid. If you're wondering why its a bit slow, I hadn't run any overclock on it yet so its stock 700Mhz(and no GPU or RAM overclock) instead of 1Ghz with overclocks and overvolts. I also hadn't calibrated the touch screen properly so its a bit rough looking, its much better now after a proper calibration.

JhcY1h.jpgdmgI7U.jpg

config.txt overclock settings:
    Standard default Pi:
    arm_freq=700
    core_freq=250
    sdram_freq=400
    over_voltage=0

Stable Overclock on my B+:
    arm_freq=1000
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=600
    over_voltage=6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Very nice Steve. Any particular project you have in mind for this?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Very nice Steve. Any particular project you have in mind for this?

Thanks, it’s the first time I’ve used this new soldering iron and it’s a bit too big for this kind of job I think.
    This B+ is for testing and playing around with this type of screen and some other stuff I want to try out on it. I’ve 3 other B+ boards and one is going into a very small mini arcade machine(hopefully I can use something as the shell for the mini cab as I don’t fancy building one up from MDF etc) and another will replace another older type Raspberry Pi that’s currently in a little boat drone project I’m working on and finally the third is going into an old Kodak camera body from the 1930’s/40’s that I’ve installed the RPi camera module in.

All very nerdy stuff I’m afraid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Steve SI wrote: »

I'm struggling to think of a non-nerdy use for the Pi.... :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What's the most recent stuff that'll run on Raspberry Pi via mame?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What's the most recent stuff that'll run on Raspberry Pi via mame?

Well if you overclock it then NeoGeo stuff runs fine. Depends on the game really.
    You should just grab one and test :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So,
    Metal Slug = Yes
    Ibara = No

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So,
    Metal Slug = Yes
    Ibara = No

I'd say ibara would struggle on a stock raspberry pi. Maybe if it was over clocked with the settings I posted above it would run.

Hmm......

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

Steve SI wrote: »
    Thanks, it’s the first time I’ve used this new soldering iron and it’s a bit too big for this kind of job I think.
    This B+ is for testing and playing around with this type of screen and some other stuff I want to try out on it. I’ve 3 other B+ boards and one is going into a very small mini arcade machine(hopefully I can use something as the shell for the mini cab as I don’t fancy building one up from MDF etc) and another will replace another older type Raspberry Pi that’s currently in a little boat drone project I’m working on and finally the third is going into an old Kodak camera body from the 1930’s/40’s that I’ve installed the RPi camera module in.

I have a similar setup except with the B. I think you need to use advance Mame as it will output to FRAMEBUFFER /dev/fb1. /dev/fb0 is the hdmi.
    I could get cupcade working but its just a NES emulator. One way to get the SNES emulator ( and others I assume ) is to use https://github.com/tasanakorn/rpi-fbcp to copy /dev/fb0 to /dev/fb1. This works but I dont think the touchscreen works.

kkontour wrote: »
    I have a similar setup except with the B. I think you need to use advance Mame as it will output to FRAMEBUFFER /dev/fb1. /dev/fb0 is the hdmi.
    I could get cupcade working but its just a NES emulator. One way to get the SNES emulator ( and others I assume ) is to use https://github.com/tasanakorn/rpi-fbcp to copy /dev/fb0 to /dev/fb1. This works but I dont think the touchscreen works.

Yeah I used the framebuffer switch last night to change to HDMI and setup the wifi and a few other things on the Pi as it’s a nightmare to do it on the low res screen :)
    I won’t be using this screen for the mini arcade as it’s too small and has other drawbacks, I’ll be using either 4.3 or 7” LCD for that (via composite or HDMI if I can find a suitable display at a reasonable price).
    I’ll be using a customised version of Raspicade as the front end for the mini arcade machine and a keyboard encoder to hook up to real arcade controls.

Started playing around with Raspicade on the Pi. But the details are best suited to the Arcade thread than here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056427376&page=260

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I am running ZSNES and am wondering is there any way to exit the application when using a controller? Think I need to map a button, but have no idea how. Help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

What would be the cut off point on CPS1/2/3 on a Pi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I am running ZSNES and am wondering is there any way to exit the application when using a controller? Think I need to map a button, but have no idea how. Help?

If you're running Retro pi

To config the controllers
    cd RetroPie-Setup sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

you could try mapping start+select to the ESC key, haven't tried it myself.

The following guide should help:
    https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Does-anybody-know-if-there%27s-a-way-to-edit-the-retroarch.cfg-to-give-me-the-ability-to-exit-an-emulator-by-using-the-controller%3F

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭brianorourke

I use mine as a media hub, both usb hard drive videos and live tv (saorview). Have a satellite usb box but it kind of struggles with it. Tried retro arch but I found the setting up of controllers a bit messy

Soarview is there a "legal" option? Mods if not allowed just delete I'm not sure if soar view is available on pi or not just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭brianorourke

Soarview is there a "legal" option? Mods if not allowed just delete I'm not sure if soar view is available on pi or not just wondering.

I just got a Playstation 3 Play TV tuner, it's usb and is supported by the pi. Took a bit of tinkering but yeah it works great, never tried recording though. Saorview is free, all you need is a saorview device

Ah I know it's free and that I thought someone had it working like the filmon app or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I just got a Playstation 3 Play TV tuner, it's usb and is supported by the pi. Took a bit of tinkering but yeah it works great, never tried recording though. Saorview is free, all you need is a saorview device

What kind of aerial do you have plugged into that then ?

Ste- wrote: »
    What kind of aerial do you have plugged into that then ?

A standard antenna I would have thought, something similar to this: (external)

Paragon%20Log%20periodic.JPG

Or this:

Rabbit-ears-Antenna-Dimensions.jpg (internal)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

or this
    31819d1300672435-what-do-you-use-antenna-hanger-jpg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Didnt think those last two worked with Saorview.

Advertisement