Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

why so - they're mostly a catholic nation?
    been at a few religious festivals there myself , it seemed more catholic that ireland.

Ezekiel 25:18 - "I wasn't being entirely serious, Ted".

Yea they're super religious and so they're more geared towards the holy/jesus/god side of Christmas instead of gifts, santa and reindeers.

Buzzkill!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Buzzkill!

I'm not complaining. They've traded all that stuff for some sun.

Last Christmas I was at the beach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

God dammit. It's tough eating so much :p But I'm going to loosen up on what I eat to get more into me.

milk is a good option. most skinny fellas can drink enough milk to swell up.

But tbh I wouldn't be too fussed about it.

Just make sure you get your protein daily.
    lift with the program.
    when you fail at a weight increase your diet and get your rest in.

I'm not complaining. They've traded all that stuff for some sun.

Last Christmas I was at the beach :D

Then back to work the next day?

• Advertisement

like opposite santa

Last year I was off a few days around Xmas. This year though I used all my annual leave before May! So yea, 1 day off, Wednesday :(

On the milk suggestion, I only drink half a litre a day. I mix 500ml with about 60g of porridge - it's really runny but it's a god way to get both into me.

Last year I was off a few days around Xmas. This year though I used all my annual leave before May! So yea, 1 day off, Wednesday :(

On the milk suggestion, I only drink half a litre a day. I mix 500ml with about 60g of porridge - it's really runny but it's a god way to get both into me.

google GOMAD, gallon of milk a day.
    the idea being is that it has a decent amount of protein, is easy to consume in large amounts and contains a growth hormone.

so if youre struggling to eat, neck a pint of milk at every meal and youll pile weight on. Its not the cleanest diet, but probably the easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I've had problems with my overhead press for a long time and I've haven't trained it for at least 18months (probably more). My problem was that whenever my muscles fatigued my left shoulder would come forward and create an imbalanced lifting platform. I always thought this was due to scapular imbalance and poor scap control. However, try as I might I couldn't address the issue so just left the overhead pressing completely.

Lately I've been working to loosen my overhead shoulder mobility with band work before my work outs. Seems to make a big difference in overhead pressing movements so my problem might have been impaired mobility all along which would become exacerbated as muscles fatigues.

Just an fyi if anyone else is having similiar issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Ezekiel 25:18 - "I wasn't being entirely serious, Ted".

but i was.
    and now I am enlightened.

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote: »
    I've had problems with my overhead press for a long time and I've haven't trained it for at least 18months (probably more). My problem was that whenever my muscles fatigued my left shoulder would come forward and create an imbalanced lifting platform. I always thought this was due to scapular imbalance and poor scap control. However, try as I might I couldn't address the issue so just left the overhead pressing completely.

Lately I've been working to loosen my overhead shoulder mobility with band work before my work outs. Seems to make a big difference in overhead pressing movements so my problem might have been impaired mobility all along which would become exacerbated as muscles fatigues.

Some Bradford Pressing with the bar (to start with) helps as well, I find. Strengthens the rotator cuff, which is key for the shoulder's mobility and stability, and helps with shoulder flexibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Depending on what sort of band work you're doing, you may just be firing up your scapular stabilisers. Which is why you probably have better control later in the movement...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hanley wrote: »
    Depending on what sort of band work you're doing, you may just be firing up your scapular stabilisers. Which is why you probably have better control later in the movement...?
    Band Dislocates
    Behind the neck (band starts over heard and lowered behind head until around shoulder blades - don't know movement)
    Band pull apart variations (parallel to ground; slightly angled downwards)

Also do scap work: pull-ups, push-ups, OHP on chest days.

I don't think I have better control later in movement? When issue presents, it causes my left shoulder to completely come forward as I'm trying to press.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

One thing I have noticed with BB OH press is that as I progress through the reps I have to widen my grip on the bar about an inch each side. I use a narrow grip on the bar but as my shoulders work and as shoulders get a "pump" I can't expect to use the exact same hand position. The front delt on my left side (which is much bigger than the right) starts squashing into my trap so I have to widen my grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

but i was.
    and now I am enlightened.

There's 3 Public holidays here in December, 8th, 13th and 25th to go with around 17 for the year so guess they felt yet more days off for 26th or whatever would be overkill.

bohsman wrote: »
    There's 3 Public holidays here in December, 8th, 13th and 25th to go with around 17 for the year so guess they felt yet more days off for 26th or whatever would be overkill.

A big GFY to St Stephen! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Band Dislocates
    Behind the neck (band starts over heard and lowered behind head until around shoulder blades - don't know movement)
    Band pull apart variations (parallel to ground; slightly angled downwards)

Also do scap work: pull-ups, push-ups, OHP on chest days.

I don't think I have better control later in movement? When issue presents, it causes my left shoulder to completely come forward as I'm trying to press.

Unless I'm misinterpreting your original post you said...

-When fatigued during OH pressing your shoulder drifts forwards (scapular protraction)
    -You left pressing alone for a while because you couldn't correct it
    -You came back to press now and do scapular stability work prior to pressing
    -There's no issue anymore with shoulder drift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

jugger0 wrote: »
    5/3/1... whats the verdict?

Easy to follow program that builds steady progress. I use the BBB program and finish with a METCON. Suits me cause I like the lifts and I'm not into wasting time with isolation stuff. Throw in a few pull and chin ups and all bases are covered.

Reckon its good for most sports people as it focuses on the lifts that count and can be follow in season to complement club training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Last leg day of GVT phase one done and dusted.

That'll do pig, that'll do.

Essien wrote: »
    Last leg day of GVT phase one done and dusted.

That'll do pig, that'll do.

Any progress pics? I finished phase 1 a few days ago but never took photos of my legs. Regretted that one.

• Advertisement

Any progress pics? I finished phase 1 a few days ago but never took photos of my legs. Regretted that one.

No, and I'm sorry now that I didn't. Though having said that, I'd be shy enough about posting them online until I shed a few more pounds of the bad stuff.

My weight has gone from around 79/80kg to 88kg, fairly steadily, since mid October. At that time I started a creatine cycle, which adds some weight and I've definitely gained a few lbs of fat. But in terms of muscle mass, I feel like I've gained a good bit, pretty much everywhere, I'm getting stronger too.

Most importantly, the girlfriend has described me as being "Less cuddly than I was before" and "Hard all over". I'll take it :pac:

No, and I'm sorry now that I didn't. Though having said that, I'd be shy enough about posting them online until I shed a few more pounds of the bad stuff.

My weight has gone from around 79/80kg to 88kg, fairly steadily, since mid October. At that time I started a creatine cycle, which adds some weight and I've definitely gained a few lbs of fat. But in terms of muscle mass, I feel like I've gained a good bit, pretty much everywhere, I'm getting stronger too.

Most importantly, the girlfriend has described me as being "Less cuddly than I was before" and "Hard all over". I'll take it :pac:

Fuck man, that's a big gain.

I bought creatine myself but kept leaving it at the office and haven't got into a routine with it. Going to split the tub though and leave half at home so no matter where, I can take it.

Fair play anyways. I just started phase 2 and am enjoying the change of scenery (specifically no squats).

Fuck man, that's a big gain.

I thought that myself. I constantly reassure myself that the last time I was 88kg (around late July, on the way down from 93kg), I did not look/feel half as good as I do now.
    I bought creatine myself but kept leaving it at the office and haven't got into a routine with it. Going to split the tub though and leave half at home so no matter where, I can take it.

I'm fairly good this way, I'm very anal about taking it every day, whether I'm training or not.

I had to settle for a leg press in place of squats as my gym only has a smith machine and I hate the ****ing thing, still though, I'm not sorry to see the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Sorry if I sound like a c*nt but I LOL'd hard at "creatine cycle".

Take it everyday lads with your protein and you need serious amounts to make a difference. For my size I need at least 50g a day!

Da Za wrote: »
    Sorry if I sound like a c*nt but I LOL'd hard at "creatine cycle".

Take it everyday lads with your protein and you need serious amounts to make a difference. For my size I need at least 50g a day!

I actually read back over it just after I posted it and thought, wtf, I don't even do it in a cycle, I just take it every day. Never mind, you know what I mean :pac:.

50g though, fuck that must get expensive. My tub recommends 5g a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I actually read back over it just after I posted it and thought, wtf, I don't even do it in a cycle, I just take it every day. Never mind, you know what I mean :pac:.

50g though, fuck that must get expensive. My tub recommends 5g a day.

Most of them recommend 3-5 grams a day, but its such an arbitrary number - its not even linked to bodyweight.

according to
    http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/creatine-how-much-should-you-be-taking

bodyweight in lbs x .15 = daily dose of creatine mono

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Dump tub of creo into tub of whey.
    Ingest
    ??????
    Profit.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I need to more than double my intake so..

Most supp companies seem to have a generic version and the creapure variant. The creapure stuff tends to be 2-3 times the price..

Any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

conzy wrote: »
    I need to more than double my intake so..

Most supp companies seem to have a generic version and the creapure variant. The creapure stuff tends to be 2-3 times the price..

Any difference?

Well there are different forms of Creatine

As it says there Creapure seems to be the TM of Monohydrate. So if it says Creapure its the good pure stuff , otherwise it could be any of the other forms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement