Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Options

Comments

Have you done any work on strengthening the ligaments at the ankle, especially on the lateral side? They're probably weak if you keep rolling it.

nope, none at all. Not even sure I know of any exercise for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

nope, none at all. Not even sure I know of any exercise for it!

The most basic one involves using a wobble board. Not sure what age you are but if you're 30ish, you'll remember those sound plastic discs with what always looked like a ball squished through the hole in the middle. Girls toy really but it's not dissimilar from a wobble board. You stand on it and try to balance yourself without letting the sides hit the ground. Try moving side to side and this will really help strengthen the ankle ligaments. A very basic version would be like a see-saw,with a half cylinder on the underside of a rectangular piece. The old man used something like that when he ripped the bejesus out of all his ankle ligaments years back and it helped big style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Not to be confused with:

884406-3x2-940x627.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Trying to pick a programme for new year. At this stage 4x times a week but short enough training sessions would probably suit me best. WS4SB seems to the fit the bill. Any other thoughts?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Sangre wrote: »
    Trying to pick a programme for new year. At this stage 4x times a week but short enough training sessions would probably suit me best. WS4SB seems to the fit the bill. Any other thoughts?

On WS4SB 3 a few weeks now and loving it. workouts typically take 50-65 minutes. the dynamic lower day is the quickest and the repetition upper day is the longest

• Advertisement

What exercises are you using for main lifts? Are you rotating every 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

I did WS4SB 3 a few years back , i recommend it, I might even go back to it my self at some stage, did it for i think 8 - 10 weeks, at a stage when i was getting back into training, i though i got great strength gains from it added some decent muscle while staying lean as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

What exercises are you using for main lifts? Are you rotating every 3 weeks?

You don't need to rotate every three weeks, only when you fail to increase. No point stopping a lift if its still going up.

I can follow that logic but won't that mean potentially going without squatting or deadlifting for several weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

I cant fully remember but i think with the lower body day i stuck with deadlifts the whole time, i was doing it because that was the main lift i wanted to get my numbers up on at the time, so ya i was doing little to no squatting during WS4SB

• Advertisement

I can follow that logic but won't that mean potentially going without squatting or deadlifting for several weeks?

Correct selection of the accessory exercises will help build your squat or dead in the meantime. For instance I might front squat for the main ME exercise then I'll romanian dead for the hip extension exercise. I know I've got a good carryover from romanians to my deadlift and the quad strength from the fronts will cover the off the floor section of the dead lift.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Re: neglecting the other lift.

What Emmet said really. It's amazing whe you do a squat cycle and switch to DL and hit PR after PR without having trained DL in weeks.

I think I switched every 6 weeks.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Favourite fitness related hashtag?

#GAINZ4LYFE but a close tie is #mywakeupisyourwarmup

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

When changing programs would you normally take time off in between?

My initial log was set out to do a cycle of phase 1 GVT, a cycle of phase 2 and then 1 more cycle of phase 1. Totalling 14 weeks.

I've been thinking it's best if I go back to 5x5 after completing phase 2.

Just wondering would people take time off, deload or what? I had to take 1 week off just now between phase 1 and 2 so not sure I'd need one but good to know for the future.

My initial log was set out to do a cycle of phase 1 GVT, a cycle of phase 2 and then 1 more cycle of phase 1. Totalling 14 weeks.

Just wondering would people take time off, deload or what? I had to take 1 week off just now between phase 1 and 2 so not sure I'd need one but good to know for the future.

Are you switching to SL/SS 5x5 type program?
    if so youll be starting at lower weights.
    So if you feel up to it then begin now.

Are you switching to SL/SS 5x5 type program?
    Plan on doing a SL 5x5 when I'm finished phase 2.
    if so youll be starting at lower weights.

Lower weights than what exactly? I'm doing 60% of my 1RM at the moment with GVT. I don't mind dialling it back a little more if it means a good increase in strength over 12 weeks.
    So if you feel up to it then begin now.

Why do you suggest that? I at least want to finish one complete cycle of GVT. I've only 3 weeks left.

Plan on doing a SL 5x5 when I'm finished phase 2.

Lower weights than what exactly? I'm doing 60% of my 1RM at the moment with GVT. I don't mind dialling it back a little more if it means a good increase in strength over 12 weeks.

If you start too high then you'll plateau quicker as you you wont recover as well.

I think SS recommends hitting your current maximums at 5 weeks or so. SL will be similar.

Why do you suggest that? I at least want to finish one complete cycle of GVT. I've only 3 weeks left.

Thought you were done now.

Start your 5x5 after your current program. but take into account youll be taking time for christmas and new years. Id start after the hangover leaves

As long as you take a day or so you can move between the 2 programs, no bother.

edit
    SS wiki says you aim to get your current 5 rep max in week 4-6, anythign from the SS wiki can apply to SL as it's the same thing pretty much.
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#I.27m_an_experienced_lifter_and_I_already_know_my_5RM.27s_in_the_five_lifts._Can_I_use_that.3F

Start your 5x5 after your current program. but take into account youll be taking time for christmas and new years. Id start after the hangover leaves

As long as you take a day or so you can move between the 2 programs, no bother.

There won't be anything like that this year for me unfortunately. Can't get home for Christmas. Only have 1 day off and that's Christmas day which will be spent at Crossfit with the other foreigners :D

There won't be anything like that this year for me unfortunately. Can't get home for Christmas. Only have 1 day off and that's Christmas day which will be spent at Crossfit with the other foreigners :D

no slacking then. get on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Where are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JJayoo wrote: »
    Where are you?

Think he said Malta previously. It'd make sense...it's common knowledge the Maltesers hate Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I take time off depending on how I feel. Just completed GVT and have only been doing mobility work for a few days. If you're feeling good then I would say go ahead and train but it's a good idea to recover properly after a programme like GVT which is fairly demanding.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Where are you?

Think he said Malta previously. It'd make sense...it's common knowledge the Maltesers hate Christmas.

Yup, stuck out on this little rock over Christmas. Won't be home till October :/

Guess the consensus is to crack on with SL 5x5 afterwards. Need to reassess my diet though as I'm kinda eating like a horse at the minute.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Need to reassess my diet though as I'm kinda eating like a horse at the minute.

lc7vi.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Santa's Elves celebrating Liftmas...NSFW!

Yup, stuck out on this little rock over Christmas. Won't be home till October :/

Guess the consensus is to crack on with SL 5x5 afterwards. Need to reassess my diet though as I'm kinda eating like a horse at the minute.

youll still be eating like a horse on SL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Is the diet on a strength program the same as a mass gaining program? Ie: eat $hit loads of stuff

Essien wrote: »
    Is the diet on a strength program the same as a mass gaining program? Ie: eat $hit loads of stuff

pretty much, you still get bigger on a strength, just not as much as a hypertrophy program.

although you can cut it's just easier to eat and bust through plateaus like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

why so - they're mostly a catholic nation?
    been at a few religious festivals there myself , it seemed more catholic that ireland.

• Advertisement

God dammit. It's tough eating so much :p But I'm going to loosen up on what I eat to get more into me.
    why so - they're mostly a catholic nation?
    been at a few religious festivals there myself , it seemed more catholic that ireland.

Yea they're super religious and so they're more geared towards the holy/jesus/god side of Christmas instead of gifts, santa and reindeers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement