Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

My flipboard app is set up to collate a load of different health and fitness articles and pieces and I came across a doozy this morning.

It was a mens health article proclaiming the "ten food tricks you dont know" or some other such summarised misunderstanding of science bull**** they spout.

Anyway!

One of the points was about "Scared Vegetables".

The logic was that tearing and ripping your veg before you eat it makes the "still alive" vegetable release more antioxidants as "it thinks it is being attacked and releases these to fight off predators".

Despite all the glaring suspicions Id have with such a snippet, the main thing I gleaned from this article was that obviously Mens Health has never heard of teeth.

I just had a great idea for the next Predator movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I just had a thought there while doing a few abs & core bits this morning. I know it's standard to breath out on exertion but I tried doing the opposite i.e breathing in on exertion. Could all be in my head but things like ab wheel roll outs and hanging leg raises felt more difficult/beneficial.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I just had a thought there while doing a few abs & core bits this morning. I know it's standard to breath out on exertion but I tried doing the opposite i.e breathing in on exertion. Could all be in my head but things like ab wheel roll outs and hanging leg raises felt more difficult/beneficial.

Any thoughts?

go home Ridley...your drunk...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

5/3/1... whats the verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a variation of the valsava manoeuvre. It stabilises your core by exerting internal pressure via a blocked airway. Its like when you hold your nose and breath out though it popping your ears except imagine its in your core and your throat is the pressure value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

jugger0 wrote: »
    5/3/1... whats the verdict?

The 1rm calculations based on rep totals at a given weight are bollocks, but you will get stronger and make progress over the long haul.

Sounds like a variation of the valsava manoeuvre. It stabilises your core by exerting internal pressure via a blocked airway. Its like when you hold your nose and breath out though it popping your ears except imagine its in your core and your throat is the pressure value.

Yeah I knew that...:pac:

Does it have any positive effect?

Yeah I knew that...:pac:

Does it have any positive effect?

Pressure in the thoracic cavity helps tighten your abdominal muscles and stabilise your spine. It provides a balance to the pressure that is exerted on the outside of your spine. It is similar to the benefits of wearing a belt.

Pressure in the thoracic cavity helps tighten your abdominal muscles and stabilise your spine. It provides a balance to the pressure that is exerted on the outside of your spine. It is similar to the benefits of wearing a belt.

I was thinking it would be much the same as using a belt with intra ab pressure but then that makes me think that it's a bad idea because I'm not looking for an aid when doing them?

I was thinking it would be much the same as using a belt with intra ab pressure but then that makes me think that it's a bad idea because I'm not looking for an aid when doing them?

I wouldn't think like that myself, its more technique than aid. Its not like its a piece of equipment you might forget to bring with you and therefore not count in the real world.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think like that myself, its more technique than aid. Its not like its a piece of equipment you might forget to bring with you and therefore not count in the real world.

True, thanks for that!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The 1rm calculations based on rep totals at a given weight are bollocks, but you will get stronger and make progress over the long haul.

Too light or heavy? Might give it a whirl

Its more because lifting X*5 is not the same as lifting Y*1, the way the program is set up you do a heavy single every 4 weeks which personally i think is grand. The program is set up for slow and steady progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

My understanding is that there is little point taking it on unless you're in it for the long haul. Download the 531 spreadsheet from AllThingsGym and plug in the numbers and take a look sure. It's a way of getting somewhere a year down the line. If you pick things up and throw them down regularly it may not suit.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    My understanding is that there is little point taking it on unless you're in it for the long haul. Download the 531 spreadsheet from AllThingsGym and plug in the numbers and take a look sure. It's a way of getting somewhere a year down the line. If you pick things up and throw them down regularly it may not suit.

On the final sets you can do more than the 5/3/1 and it'll rework your maxes for the next months sessions. I agree that the progress is slower, but thats because it really is more aimed at people that aren't making gains every session any more.

Interesting. Trying to look at a program for the new year and considering all options. I still consider myself as a beginner...I think this forum puts it into perspective, which I like. Not sure if SS or SL are suited. But the 'program' a mate showed me pairing muscle groups interests me. Have had a run at a few sessions on it and still feeling out what weights I should work at to get 3-4 sets at 8/10/15 reps but it's keeping me interested at least

Interesting. Trying to look at a program for the new year and considering all options. I still consider myself as a beginner...I think this forum puts it into perspective, which I like. Not sure if SS or SL are suited. But the 'program' a mate showed me pairing muscle groups interests me. Have had a run at a few sessions on it and still feeling out what weights I should work at to get 3-4 sets at 8/10/15 reps but it's keeping me interested at least

ss/sl > madcow > 5/3/1 in terms of gain progression. Of course, that doesn't mean you cant pop onto smolov or GVT etc, they just seem to flow nicely.

edit: i went back to madcow myself after a while on 5/3/1 for a change.

I did consider madcow. I'm not sure how much gym time I'll have after christmas but i'll definitely consider it. I took a bit of time off recently and realised how much I enjoy being in the gym! So that'll complicate things...

ss/sl > madcow > 5/3/1 in terms of gain progression. Of course, that doesn't mean you cant pop onto smolov or GVT etc, they just seem to flow nicely.

edit: i went back to madcow myself after a while on 5/3/1 for a change.

Yes. Have you done it yourself? gains?

Yes. Have you done it yourself? gains?

Smolov? Nope - just 5x5:madcow/:5/3/1. I have to cut down my days spent lifting soon due to personal commitments.

• Advertisement

Smolov Junior gets gains so I can only imagine the full whack would get you gains. Hanley would appear to be the only one here that's gone through the full Smolov programme, if you want to check out his log.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

725g of meat today :pac:

grow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Yeah I'm the same and my numbers are actually pretty decent. At the intermediate stage but always feeling like I should get stronger before hitting programs like GVT. I'm not even sure why it's like I have to have a 5 plate deadlift before working on size.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Smolov Junior gets gains so I can only imagine the full whack would get you gains. Hanley would appear to be the only one here that's gone through the full Smolov programme, if you want to check out his log.

Kev has too. What's the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

YFW this dog is more jacked then 99% of members here, screw that 100%

oqfUkS3.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Dogs on celltech

Can't stop rolling my ankle playing football.

Squatting Heavy & DLing without any discomfort, but kick a ball with the outside of my boot and ankle goes, spring too hard turning and ankle goes, heck, make a tackle and ankle goes.

Have done rest and recoup every time, but it's inevitable that it happens every single time.

Ideas? How to prevent? How to treat it better than RICE? How to activate ankle before playing etc?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Squatting Heavy & DLing without any discomfort, but kick a ball with the outside of my boot and ankle goes, spring too hard turning and ankle goes, heck, make a tackle and ankle goes.

Have done rest and recoup every time, but it's inevitable that it happens every single time.

Ideas? How to prevent? How to treat it better than RICE? How to activate ankle before playing etc?

Cheers

It definitely doesnt help that you are utterly **** at football. :-)

Its an ankle mobility issue for sure. Work on that and it should stop happening. Ankle, Calf and Hammer drills.

I used to have the same problems but some drills for mobility seems to have sorted it.

Thats my 2c.

Hanley wrote: »
    Kev has too. What's the question?

Ive only done the mesocycle, starting the intense phase for the first time soon... what should i expect? it cant be tougher than the mesocycle surely..

• Advertisement

Cheers

Have you done any work on strengthening the ligaments at the ankle, especially on the lateral side? They're probably weak if you keep rolling it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement