Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hilarious as usual.

Thanks.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Was never really a fan of George's, but lately he's just become such a mutant that I have to watch his vids. However he needs to shave that thing off his ****ing face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Lads best programme for size and strength for lifters with a few years experience behind them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Drained_Empty

starting strength

Depends on goals and actual exeperience. I like westside for skinny b@stards 3 as a general template

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Anybody have any tips for grip training? Trying to improve it generally, and for BJJ. If it helps the likes of my DL thats fine too ;)

I've started to add in plate pinch holds at the end of one of my sessions. Consists of holding 2x5kg plates per hand. Going to try work up the time, increase the load. The plates in my gy, are plastic coated, so are prob a bit thinker than iron plates.
    Has anybody her used plate pinches before? Any issue with using two different weight plates to bridge the jump from size to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

A tip of Andy boltons is to wrap a t shirt around a dumbbell handle and hold for time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Today was day 1 of a 14 week shot at GVT. I started a log over in the fitness log spot but I've a question.

When starting out I read to start really light on everything. So I did. My first exercise was a flat db bench press (semi-supinated grip) I started with 2 10kg weights thinking I'd be fairly fatigued at the end but I wasn't.

If I can finish the 10x10 (or in the case of sub sets where it's 10x3) with a certain weight am I to move up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Today was day 1 of a 14 week shot at GVT. I started a log over in the fitness log spot but I've a question.

When starting out I read to start really light on everything. So I did. My first exercise was a flat db bench press (semi-supinated grip) I started with 2 10kg weights thinking I'd be fairly fatigued at the end but I wasn't.

If I can finish the 10x10 (or in the case of sub sets where it's 10x3) with a certain weight am I to move up?

60% of 1rm to start. Not arbitrarily light.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Have you read any of the GVT program articles? It's all very clear on what you should be doing there.

Hanley wrote: »
    Have you read any of the GVT program articles? It's all very clear on what you should be doing there.

I had read something on T-Nation (which now that I look back says 70%) but if I'm honest, I'd forgotten. The other thing is, I'd also read on one of the BB.com programs that you should rest 90s between sets (along with using 60% instead of 70%) and another on T-Nation says to only rest 60s.

Presume then by that that there is no perfect strategy or else one of them is wrong..?

Overload Mechanism: Once you’re able to do 10 sets of 10 with constant rest intervals, increase the weight on the bar by 4 to 5 percent

This is what I was looking for :)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Would it be cruel to post this in the terrified of treadmills thread?

J4Wn8L7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Would it be cruel to post this in the terrified of treadmills thread?

J4Wn8L7.gif

Man I'm only wondering why I'm the only one posting that stuff. What the hell are you waiting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Discount supps have 15% off all orders for the next 3 days.

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/

• Advertisement

Found this on Reddit, obviously doesn't apply here where our mods are hench and refrain from power trippin'

4HVA1.jpg

Slightly disturbing question coming up..

In the morning I have a protein shake and some porridge. The thing is, the stuff flies through me :o

Does anyone else have this? How do you prevent it or at least keep it at bay for a while...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Sounds like an intolerance?

Discount supplements just emailed saying 23% vat on Protein powders from the 1st of November?
    If that's the case I'm not using them anymore. I can't afford that.

Slightly disturbing question coming up..

In the morning I have a protein shake and some porridge. The thing is, the stuff flies through me :o

Does anyone else have this? How do you prevent it or at least keep it at bay for a while...?

Do you drink coffee as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Discount supplements just emailed saying 23% vat on Protein powders from the 1st of November?
    If they do over €35,000 worth of trade to here they have to pay Irish VAT, at least it goes to our government.

Victim of their own success, if the sales drop off dramatically I guess they drop below €35,000 and do not have to charge VAT anymore.

If I was a UK company I would consider limiting my business to €34,999 per year to here, you would have to work it out of course.

Or set up a side company selling it as a food stuff, so you get zero VAT. You could just overlabel the fella on the packet to have a whisk in his hand instead of a dumbbell, and a chefs hat -instant zero rate VAT. And some stupid disclaimer on the pack, not for ingestion for sporting reasons.

This is just that company? I thought it was something to do with the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

I think the put vat on supplements in the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

VAT was on them before. There was a big discussion about it a year or 2 ago as myprotein.co.uk started charging VAT here, they made a new .ie website.

Chainreactioncycles, up north, were also adding vat to stuff like glucose tablets.

Some things used as supplements could be exempted depending on how they are sold. e.g. if bags of shamrock glucose were sold in a supplement shop here it might argued they should be 23%, in a bakery section or baby food section 0%. Same with whey.

• Advertisement

So what you're saying is there's a big market brewing for "Chefs own brand, pure food whey" ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement