Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Great servers are essential to online FPS.
    You have obviously never played COD before. Their peer to peer approach can be horrible, with terrible lag depending on who is hosting and host migration mid game and yet it is still the most successful FPS out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

sarumite wrote: »
    You have obviously never played COD before. Their peer to peer approach can be horrible, with terrible lag depending on who is hosting and host migration mid game and yet it is still the most successful FPS out there at the moment.

As Failsafe already pointed out, with dedicated servers you have a host of benefits.

You can get even more CPU on your dedicated servers to do new things like dozens of AI and giant autopilot titans.
    Suddenly you have no more host advantage.
    Bandwidth for the servers is guaranteed from the hosting provider.
    You can use all of the available CPU and memory on the player machines for awesome visuals and audio.
    Hacked-host cheating isn’t an issue.
    Matchmaking can be lightning fast since it’s guaranteed that everyone can connect to your servers.
    And since the servers aren’t going to go disconnect to watch Netflix, you don’t need to migrate hosts anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

VivGrise wrote: »
    As Failsafe already pointed out, with dedicated servers you have a host of benefits.

You can get even more CPU on your dedicated servers to do new things like dozens of AI and giant autopilot titans.
    Suddenly you have no more host advantage.
    Bandwidth for the servers is guaranteed from the hosting provider.
    You can use all of the available CPU and memory on the player machines for awesome visuals and audio.
    Hacked-host cheating isn’t an issue.
    Matchmaking can be lightning fast since it’s guaranteed that everyone can connect to your servers.
    And since the servers aren’t going to go disconnect to watch Netflix, you don’t need to migrate hosts anymore.

I feel you're missing Sarumite's point :) Even though CoD has rubbish servers, it's still an incredibly successful FPS. Therefore, amazing servers are not essential to a successful FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I feel you're missing Sarumite's point :) Even though CoD has rubbish servers, it's still an incredibly successful FPS. Therefore, amazing servers are not essential to a successful FPS.

Indeed, but werent oil lamps brilliant for lighting before we got that new fangled electricity? Just because something works ok doesn't mean there's no better solution. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Does help though,

See the backlash against BF4.

• Advertisement

Indeed, but werent oil lamps brilliant for lighting before we got that new fangled electricity? Just because something works ok doesn't mean there's no better solution. :D
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Does help though,

See the backlash against BF4.

Undoubtedly true.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I hope this is decent on the 360. I've a 3 month Gold Membership voucher sitting there unused, and I'd say I'll have a decent amount of people on my list playing it. One last hurrah for 360, for me, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

While Peer to peer FPS are fine, I am looking forward to not screaming at the TV when I get lagged out cos the host is changing in the middle of a rampage. One of the most frustrating things ever was Halo 3 host booting and lag.

Safe to say I'm def looking forward to the servers with Titanfall no more lag BS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

returnNull wrote: »
    originally the 17th but I think they are gonna extend it by a day due to server downtime.

Still not showing up for PC owners to download.Hurry the fuk up Respawn!!

PC master race here.... :p

I just downloaded it and playing it now. As a previous COD player, I have a massive smile ear to ear. Must look like a goof...

March 13th cannot come quick enough. At least I'll have BF4 DLC tonight at midnight to get me through the next few weeks.

For PC players....when you sign into Origin, a pop-up will show saying "Download Titanfall Now"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

returnNull wrote: »
    originally the 17th but I think they are gonna extend it by a day due to server downtime.

Still not showing up for PC owners to download.Hurry the fuk up Respawn!!
    Major Nelson just retweeted Respawn saying that it will run until 19 Feb.

Then, less than four weeks until the full game :-)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

You have obviously never played COD before.

IIRC i think he might of played a tiny bit of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

4Dlolz wrote: »

For PC players....when you sign into Origin, a pop-up will show saying "Download Titanfall Now"

Doesnt do that for me! Ah curse you Gaming gods :D:P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Great servers are essential to online FPS.

You're highlighting my point about why great servers are essential to online FPS.

I think you missed my point. I never mentioned anything about servers being essential to game sales or COD's success. I said great server are essential to online FPS. The better the servers are the better the gameplay/Experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Sweet, was beginning to think they were not gonna open up the beta on PC! Glad ill have a chance to get a few hours of the beta in:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

EoinHef wrote: »
    Sweet, was beginning to think they were not gonna open up the beta on PC! Glad ill have a chance to get a few hours of the beta in:)

You'll have 2 whole days. They're not locking up until the 19th. XD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Only if you've signed for the beta before or on the 15th of this month unfortunetly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Only if you've signed for the beta before or on the 15th of this month unfortunetly

Ah bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

miju wrote: »
    IIRC i think he might of played a tiny bit of it

Really miju??

You're highlighting my point about why great servers are essential to online FPS.

The fact that the most succesful FPS series doesn't have great servers highlights why great servers are absolutely necessary (or to use your preferred synonym; essential) for successful FPS's :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The fact that the most succesful FPS series doesn't have great servers highlights why great servers are absolutely necessary (or to use your preferred synonym; essential) for successful FPS's :confused:

See, the mistake you've made there is adding in the word "successful" when it was never there. He simply said great servers were necessary for online FPS - you've added in the successful bit for some reason and thrown up a point that's pretty irrelevant to the point the chap was making

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Its a lot of fun, still getting used to it but I'll probably pick it up.

COYVB wrote: »
    See, the mistake you've made there is adding in the word "successful" when it was never there. He simply said great servers were necessary for online FPS - you've added in the successful bit for some reason and thrown up a point that's pretty irrelevant to the point the chap was making

By successful, I mean a FPS that is technically successful.

But I am happy to completely remove that word as it is not necessary for my argument. Great servers are not essential for an online FPS, as COD has shown. It is an FPS that operates successfully without having great servers. If they were essential, COD wouldn't be able to operate. If you want to say that online FPS's are better with great servers, fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Great servers are not essential for an online FPS, as COD has shown.

Shown to who and under what criteria?

COYVB wrote: »
    Shown to who and under what criteria?

Do you think COD has great servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Do you think COD has great servers?

cod has excellent servers if you have an excellent connection
    also take into account Hosts.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

I have been connected to hosts that provided a **** laggy services that required the game to migrate hosts only to bounce back the lobby because a suitable host couldn't be found. If that is your definition of a great server, then I guess we have a very divergent point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I tried going for the beta to try it on PC, so I decided to give it a whirl. Had some fun with it. Course, I suck at it, as I expected. Did enough to get up to level 3. When I was doing the training though, I was getting reconnecting to server a lot. My internet is crappy, and I saw the ping go to the mid 70s. I had a few games that were fine, but that last one was pretty bad for lag. Just called it quits. I tried Attrition and Last Titan Standing. On one Last Titan Standing, I was the only one on my team. It seems like a game I'd put on for an hour here or there. I wouldn't go mad on it like I expect many here will. Prefer single player games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

You mean CoD had excellent servers

Because since the introduce lag compensation if you have an excellent connection you are pretty much doomed.... this is the reason why I dont play CoD anymore.. well apart from other issues of course

{...}

I think you missed my point. I never mentioned anything about servers being essential to game sales or COD's success. I said great server are essential to online FPS. The better the servers are the better the gameplay/Experience.

So now what you're trying to tell me is that either CoD had great servers, was not a FPS or was not played online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Hi if it's possible & someone has a spare PC code I'd love to try it on my lowish spec PC to see if it is playable.

plz pm

Advertisement