Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Blazer wrote: »
    Remember Respawn are Infinity Ward's head guys who Activision fired.38 of the 46 IW staff all resigned and followed these guys to Respawn with a few weeks/months
    You can bet your ass they have their eyes firmly on Titanfall as a COD killer and after the Ghosts crap it could very well be.
    However it needs to be a multiplatform release and it looks like this could be coming to PS4 mid year or so.

Would be interesting, but its all dependent on the XB1 console exclusivity deal that MS might have in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think it'll not so much be a cod or battlefield killer, as a game that exists alongside of them. Its fast paced, with short rounds and very little downtime between action. Personally, i really like it and find it a breath of fresh air - and I'm not typically a fan of sci fi settings. theres a depth of play thats yet to be properly explored in my opinion, i was watching youtube videos last night and was floored by some of the routes guys were taking as pilots, Its going to be great to discover how different equipment / loadouts can be used effectively as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Blazer wrote: »
    However it needs to be a multiplatform release and it looks like this could be coming to PS4 mid year or so.

It's never going to PS4

Well, the first game anyway.

Am I right in saying that the Titanfall beta is the first game to properly use microsofts azure cloud servers? If so, what has peoples ping been like? in the players I've been on with, everyone seemed to be getting less than 40ms - an astoundingly low number.

i wonder Is this is an indication of what we can look forward to in the future from games that use these servers? I certainly hope so!

maximoose wrote: »
    It's never going to PS4

Well, the first game anyway.

It'd be sweet to see microsoft bust out that chequebook and make it a guaranteed console exclusive. Its probably too expensive a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It'd be sweet to see microsoft bust out that chequebook and make it a guaranteed console exclusive. Its probably too expensive a price.

Yeah I highly doubt EA would do that especially when the ps4 is outselling the xbox one by a considerable margin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It depends though if Ms are willing to fund development. They did it with Gears of War.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Shiminay wrote: »
    Is this confirmed? :eek:

Yeah they mentioned it a few months ago. It's based off the source engine so it should be easy enough to mod.

I really like what the game has to offer so far. Definite pre-order for me now. March looks to be a busy month :)

I've also tested the game on several PC machines.

Runs well at high res and low settings on an i5/GT540M

Runs exceptional on Intel Dual Core/7750 high res and medium settings

Runs exceptional on i7/R9 280x on max settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

How would that benefit an Xbox One gamer, though? Surely it'd be better if they bust out the chequebook at the stage, to get someone started on another XBox One game.

Yeah I highly doubt EA would do that especially when the ps4 is outselling the xbox one by a considerable margin.

Its all down to the return on your investment at the end of the day, I cant pretend to know how these deals are done, but I'd imagine its done by forecasting projected sales on multiplatform, and the publisher is then paid somewhere in that amount, and allowances made for merchandising etc. now, everyone who buys an xbox one, isnt going to just buy one game, so they have to look at what the rate of return is on all these things.

I reckon its unlikely, but possible.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    How would that benefit an Xbox One gamer, though? Surely it'd be better if they bust out the chequebook at the stage, to get someone started on another XBox One game.

of course it benefits the Xbox one gamer. more consoles (even if its people buying for that one game that cant be played anywhere else) sold means more developers interested in bringing games to the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

When is the beta ending?

Got code on Sat morning and downloaded but haven't had a chance to play yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Its all down to the return on your investment at the end of the day, I cant pretend to know how these deals are done, but I'd imagine its done by forecasting projected sales on multiplatform, and the publisher is then paid somewhere in that amount, and allowances made for merchandising etc. now, everyone who buys an xbox one, isnt going to just buy one game, so they have to look at what the rate of return is on all these things.

I reckon its unlikely, but possible.

We've seen these timed exclusives before and they always end up going to playstation eventually.

It's such a waste of money. They should forget about timed DLC and games and make new IPs completely owned by them for the X1. If I'd an xbox I'd be a lot happier with the latter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Grayditch wrote: »

I would 100% agree with you on this.

I know peoples opinions on this are divided but it would be great to see this on multi platforms including PS4 so XB1 has more cash to inject into other games.

However, I would say that MS are looking at this game to generate console sales so it wont be moving to the PS4 soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It depends though if Ms are willing to fund development. They did it with Gears of War.

Already they get free servers from Microsoft and resources. I'd expect to see Titanfall 2 on PS4 in 2 years although I'd highly doubt Sony could compete with Microsoft's servers. Great servers are essential to online FPS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Am I right in saying that the Titanfall beta is the first game to properly use microsofts azure cloud servers?

Yep it's the first to use them fully hence the major stress testing element to the Titanfall beta.

Love for once actually having a 33ms ping which punishes the americans for joining out of region servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Already they get free servers from Microsoft and resources. I'd expect to see Titanfall 2 on PS4 in 2 years although I'd highly doubt Sony could compete with Microsoft's servers. Great servers are essential to online FPS.
    Ps4 severs are pretty good better than ps3 I don't know if Microsoft servers are miles better time will tell.

miju wrote: »
    Yep it's the first to use them fully hence the major stress testing element to the Titanfall beta.

Love for once actually having a 33ms ping which punishes the americans for joining out of region servers.

Its great alright, point, aim, the guy dies. as opposed to point, aim, empty clip, guy turns and 1 shot kills you.

miju wrote: »
    I would 100% agree with you on this.

I know peoples opinions on this are divided but it would be great to see this on multi platforms including PS4 so XB1 has more cash to inject into other games.

However, I would say that MS are looking at this game to generate console sales so it wont be moving to the PS4 soon

Ah yeah, I'm just throwing it out there, either way you shake it, titanfall 2 is a minimum of 2 years away. We'll probably end up with 1 month DLC exclusivity the same way COD is at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Am I right in saying that the Titanfall beta is the first game to properly use microsofts azure cloud servers? If so, what has peoples ping been like? in the players I've been on with, everyone seemed to be getting less than 40ms - an astoundingly low number.

i wonder Is this is an indication of what we can look forward to in the future from games that use these servers? I certainly hope so!

There is nothing different or special or magical about the physical servers themselves , well they are hosted in Ireland which gives us lovely low pings but it's more about how they are managed.

Games that use non-cloud servers have a fixed number lets 100 that everyone online connects to, whether it be 10 or 10,000 players, this can lead to two things, feck all people playing means severs are going unused too many and it's the opposite, with the azure servers they scale the number of servers and resources on them dynamically based on demand. In the business world this works out well for companies as they only pay for what they use and don't have to invest in expensive infrastructure that will go 10% utilised 90% of the time. In this case in theory everyone should win, cost MS/Dev's less to host multiplayer servers and players should get a better service too.

Edit: Actually thats were all these cloud servers originated, companies like MS, Google and Amazon had these massive data centres that were being under utilised and started selling off cloud computing solutions to put them to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Its great alright, point, aim, the guy dies. as opposed to point, aim, empty clip, guy turns and 1 shot kills you.

We'll that happen me in titianfall so much for that happen I got it when I got the lag spike.It only happen once so not to bad.

calex71 wrote: »
    There is nothing different or special or magical about the physical servers themselves , well they are hosted in Ireland which gives us lovely low pings but it's more about how they are managed.

Games that use non-cloud servers have a fixed number lets 100 that everyone online connects to, whether it be 10 or 10,000 players, this can lead to two things, feck all people playing means severs are going unused too many and it's the opposite, with the azure servers they scale the number of servers and resources on them dynamically based on demand. In the business world this works out well for companies as they only pay for what they use and don't have to invest in expensive infrastructure that will go 10% utilised 90% of the time. In this case in theory everyone should win, cost MS/Dev's less to host multiplayer servers and players should get a better service too.

Edit: Actually thats were all these cloud servers originated, companies like MS, Google and Amazon had these massive data centres that were being under utilised and started selling off cloud computing solutions to put them to work.

Im just happy that we're moving away from peer to peer, it was grand in that you could always get a game as long as someone was playing, but the connection quality could be atrocious. At least now, we're not so much at the mercy of publishers shutting down servers when player counts get too low. (or in the case of sony and Gran turismo 5 - when they want to move people onto the newest title in the series)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

More like: empty clip into guy, guy kicks you, you die :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Ah yeah, I'm just throwing it out there, either way you shake it, titanfall 2 is a minimum of 2 years away. We'll probably end up with 1 month DLC exclusivity the same way COD is at the moment.

Respawn said it's going to be a yearly release franchise so I wouldn't be surprised to see another Titanfall next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Respawn said it's going to be a yearly release franchise so I wouldn't be surprised to see another Titanfall next year.

While that wouldn't surprise me.. I don't think Respawn have said anything like that..

Do you have the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Titanfall engineer Jon Shiring explained...
    When Respawn couldn't afford the cash or manpower to acquire the "hundreds of thousands of servers" necessary to put players in dedicated servers, "The Xbox group came back to us with a way for us to run all of these Titanfall dedicated servers" in the form of the cloud

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/titanfall-dev-explains-xbox-ones-azure-cloud-benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Yeah. Had a 16ms ping on Saturday, it was great.
    Although it did remove the excuse I had about always being killed because of lag not registering my hits... Turns out I'm just crap at FPS games online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

Yeah. Had a 16ms ping on Saturday, it was great.
    Although it did remove the excuse I had about always being killed because of lag not registering my hits... Turns out I'm just crap at FPS games online :)

I had 100ms last night. Anyone else get the add 'trying to connect to server' mid game?

Really annoying!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

What time does the beta end?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

4Dlolz wrote: »
    What time does the beta end?!

originally the 17th but I think they are gonna extend it by a day due to server downtime.

Still not showing up for PC owners to download.Hurry the fuk up Respawn!!

Advertisement