Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It'll be an online only affair. That alone kills interest in it for me, tbh.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

More info on its development.

Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn't run it
    Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
    They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don't specify if it would this project or another.
    Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
    Spring 2014 Release Date
    To my eyes it looks visually very nice.
    First person shooter
    "Mech" and ground combat
    "Mech's" are called Titans.
    They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
    If you don't want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
    Player characters are called Pilots
    They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.
    They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the "brain".
    - You need to be cunning as a pilot. "Hit and fade" tactics is the term the game director uses.
    Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
    There are AI enemies on the maps.
    You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
    Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
    Source gives them 60 fps
    Rewrote aspects of it for next gen
    Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.
    Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.
    Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.
    Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Funny to see that they cant get a modified source engine to run on current gen consoles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Big mechs called Titans? Games Workshop may have a comment about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Games Workshop can shove it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Azza wrote: »
    More info on its development.

[...]
    Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
    [...]
    Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
    Source gives them 60 fps
    Rewrote aspects of it for next gen
    [...]

This has me confused - how can it be a Next-Gen game when it's going to use the Source engine? Sure, they say they've modified the source code to pretty it up a little for modern tastes, but it's still a near-10 year old engine. Passing strange.

Also, the cloud-computing comments instantly made me think of Sim City & that particular debacle; claiming the physics and AI will be handled remotely sounds nice, but of course with SC we know how true that all turned out to be - I remain skeptical. Also, has anyone done any research into exactly how efficient this concept is, whether it actually has any performance gains for the end-user? It's still a stream of data that has to be handled by the engine.

I'm also curious what kind of stresses would that put on someone's broadband connection? I imagine an idea like this could limit people with quotas if there's a near-constant stream of calculations being shot down, along with the rest of the standard game data sent back & forth on a multiplayer server.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

pixelburp wrote: »
    This has me confused - how can it be a Next-Gen game when it's going to use the Source engine? Sure, they say they've modified the source code to pretty it up a little for modern tastes, but it's still a near-10 year old engine. Passing strange.

Also, the cloud-computing comments instantly made me think of Sim City & that particular debacle; claiming the physics and AI will be handled remotely sounds nice, but of course with SC we know how true that all turned out to be - I remain skeptical. Also, has anyone done any research into exactly how efficient this concept is, whether it actually has any performance gains for the end-user? It's still a stream of data that has to be handled by the engine.

I'm also curious what kind of stresses would that put on someone's broadband connection? I imagine an idea like this could limit people with quotas if there's a near-constant stream of calculations being shot down, along with the rest of the standard game data sent back & forth on a multiplayer server.

They're just using the term cloud computing as a buzz word. All they're doing is spawning new virtual server instances on-demand.

The bandwidth requirements will still be minimal, it won't impact that.

For comparison there's World of Tanks. All calculations that matter, physics, weapons fire hits/results etc are done server side and fed back to the client. The throwaway stuff can still be done client side with Havok or the like, the same for the Source engine and for the BigWorld engine from World of Tanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

1.5mbps apparently for 'optimal performance'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

This suppose to be the cod killer people have been raving about ?? Honestly can't see that happening if its an Xbox/PC only title anyway. Still.. be interesting to see what they've been up too all this time, hopefully its at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The fact it is being released on the 360 and the One isn't really all that great. It'll split the player base. Guess they're hoping people who buy the 360 one will eventually double dip and get the One version if/when they get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,879 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Was hoping it would be a cod killer, man I got that wrong badly

What else did you expect? A Modern Warfare ripoff? I'm still moderately interested in it. Could be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,879 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I expected a similar game type to the likes of cod bf3 etc.Not mech scfi stuff.

Headshot wrote: »
    I expected a similar game type to the likes of cod bf3 etc.Not mech scfi stuff.

That's what BF2142 was....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This actually looks brilliant

It also looks seriously skillful. Where a highly skilled player could really get around well.

Headshot wrote: »
    Was hoping it would be a cod killer, man I got that wrong badly

I have to disagree :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's looking even better!

I was just saying in another thread, I'm really hoping this'll be the game to bring me back to online FPS after a length enough period of being bored with the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I must have played the game four or five times over the course of my three days at the Eurogamer Expo. Even with six or seven months left to tweak and optimise the game, they are onto a winner.

The only game I can compare it to in terms of how you feel playing it is Batman Arkham Asylum. You feel powerful and in control. Gameplay inside and outside the titans is compelling. I actually preferred to stay outside the mech and simply have it draw attention away from me as I got behind enemies. The scope for strategies seems endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Really looking forward to this one tbh. Looks amazing. I am a big fan on online play. Despise COD but LOVE BF. Cant wait for November to get my hands on BF4, 64 players, warzone!!

Titanfall will be along the line of BF4 i think, which for me is all good!

I wonder what's the story with Titanfall on 360 versus One and PC. Different developer and engine for the 360, but almost zero information out there as to what the differences will be. Could end up being a very different game on the different platforms..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I wonder what's the story with Titanfall on 360 versus One and PC. Different developer and engine for the 360, but almost zero information out there as to what the differences will be. Could end up being a very different game on the different platforms..

My bet is on 2d platformer as 360 version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

250px-etvideogamecover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

all the 360's walking into the desert to bury themselves in a landfill

Titanfall 'pushing 360 to its furthest most limits', says Respawn in reassuring current gen owners that they won't be left behind.....

mechwarrior-2-03.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It looks exhilarating - the pace and bouncing all over the map reminds me of Crysis but not dying 47 times a match would make it far less frustrating to play.

I'm curious as to how the story fits into it.

I've never played Battlefield or COD so I'm not sure how it compares to them.

By and large I prefer my FPS to be a single player experience but I'm certainly interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Have to admit Im really looking forward to this.Spring is too far away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Its out 13th March 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Collector's Edition

titanfall-groupshot22p1o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

There is a rumour going around this morning that Titanfall is only going to run at 720p on the Xbox One. I'm surprised by that if it turns out to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

PCGMR reporting for duty sir! ;)

pc_master_race.jpg

Advertisement