Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

**** the smart pistol!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,256 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If anyone has a PC beta key I will love you forever. PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Overheal wrote: »
    If anyone has a PC beta key I will love you forever. PM me

Did you sign up before the 15th for beta? If not you try this:
    Not sure if the PC version is in open beta yet but all you have to do to get access right now is contact EA at http://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/new/ asking them for a beta access (be logged in with your origin account). They will add it to your account in about an hour.

Steps:
    Select Titanfall from product list
    Select the platform – PC obviously
    Select topic – Demo\Beta
    Explain Issue – May I please have access to the Titanfall Beta on PC.
    Click the "Email Me" option.

After about 40 minutes the beta was in my Origin game library.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Learn to understand context in discussions. We were talking about quality of servers in our posts. :rolleyes:

Regarding first person shooters I deem it extremely important to have dedicated hosting.

Do you now finally understand?

Fair enough. I assume reading this you would be okay with the statement 'Destructible environments are essential to online FPS's' or '1080p resolution is essential to online FPS's' etc depending on who is making the statement and what they deem 'extremely important'. As I have played and enjoyed online FPS's that don't have great servers, destructible environments and that weren't rendered in 1080p; my experience has been that none of the aforementioned attributes are essential for online FPS's.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kirby wrote: »
    Not a chance of 32 player maps let alone 64 player maps. Leaving aside the resource issue and just talking about gameplay for a moment......You have any idea how large a map would have to be to accommodate 32 titans at once? It would have to be massive....prohibitively big and thus people would spawn and have to run for ages to get into the fight.
    If there was a limit to the amount of titans at any given time, like how there isn't 64 tanks in Battlefield, it could work. It would also force people to support the titans. Add in a proper engineer class, and they could repair the titans, as opposed to rush in, die, respawn, wait two minutes, rush in...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

the_syco wrote: »
    Add in a proper engineer class, and they could repair the titans, as opposed to rush in, die, respawn, wait two minutes, rush in...

Yeah but thats Battlefield not Titanfall. The fact you cant repair your Titan makes it use alot more tactical and does bring a very good tactical element to the game.

Playing last night with a full party, when we called in Titans we either called them all in together or in groups of 2-3 which allowed flanking of Titans which meant the enemy pilots were on the backfoot pretty much always.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm continually baffled at how the player count issue keeps coming up. If 6x6 is the size Respawn decided would work best for this game's pace and balance, surely we should trust and respect their judgement (at least until we can critique the finished game)? Saying it needs 32 or 64 player maps seems like such an arbitrary demand to me, and each developer should settle on the ideal size for their game, not what Battlefield is doing. Bigger ain't necessarily better... (I should note I haven't played the game yet, but I'm genuinely flabbergasted it keeps coming up time and time again as a dealbreaker)

Also, the FPS needs a bit of accessibility and even playing field in this days of ultra competitive players. Hopefully Respawn have found the right balance to ensure it's welcoming to newcomers and veterans alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

6v6 is perfectly fine for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Indeed. It works well. I could see 8v8 on Fracture as it's pretty large but it wouldn't work on Angel City. City is too small for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

SeantheMan wrote: »

On topic : Is there any way I can get access to this beta or is it full/finished with signup ?
    A poster said that you wouldnt get a beta key unless you had registered before the 15th....

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    If not you try this:

Just tried that there..fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Going back off topic again ?

Can you stick to the game and post about the game, rather than you both just having an argument over the and dedi servers in FPS

On topic : Is there any way I can get access to this beta or is it full/finished with signup ?

It was a topic raised in the Xbox one forum that got merged in here, that's why it seems off topic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

My 2 cents on the game thus far...

I think it's a great concept - the parkour, the wall-running, the jet packs, even the Titans contribute immensely to the fun aspect. That being said, I think Respawn should include a few bits and bobs to really make it stand out.

Firstly, there needs to be a game mode along the lines of Bare Bones. A mode specifically for those that wish to fight without the Titans on the map. This is critical. Me? I like them but I can understand those that just want pilot gun on gun.

Secondly, the bots piss me off at times. The AI is retarded. I get it, trust me I do - they're there to bridge a gap, to ease the flow so to speak. However, there is literally zero fun in mowing down 10 of them one after the next. It is not impressive whatsoever. It's kind of a downer tbh....

I trust West and Zampellas opinion on keeping it 6v6 and shoving bots in all over the place but nothing will compare to human intelligence. I'm not saying the current set-up doesn't work - it does. But 12v12 would be even better I feel. It's just my opinion and everyone is entitled to one - this is mine. The game needs more players.

I'm continually baffled at how the player count issue keeps coming up.

From what I am seeing alot of people saying 6v6 is too little haven't even played the beta. Having racked up about 600 pilots kill and 202 titan kills in the little time I've been playing I think 6v6 is plenty.

Gameplay is frantic enough at times without adding in more players. More isn't always better.

Case in point I played Titanfall for an hour last night then switched onto Battlefield with 64 players on Siege of Shanghai and it seemed amazingly slow and empty in comparison despite that magical 64 players number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Does the beta have 360 controller support on the PC?

Few mates knockin over for a game of it later and they cant use M+K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

miju wrote: »
    From what I am seeing alot of people saying 6v6 is too little haven't even played the beta. Having racked up about 600 pilots kill and 202 titan kills in the little time I've been playing I think it's safe to say 6v6 is plenty.

Gameplay is frantic enough at times without adding in more players. More isn't always better.

Case in point I played Titanfall for an hour last night then switched onto Battlefield with 64 players on Siege of Shanghai and it seemed amazingly slow and empty in comparison despite that magical 64 players number.

IMO I'd like to see larger maps with more players and less / no bots!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

EoinHef wrote: »

Yes.

I read someone playing it with the DS4 on PC so I'm sure the 360 controller would work.

Noxin wrote: »
    IMO I'd like to see larger maps with more players and less / no bots!

I would like to see a purely infantry only map or mode alright. The bots are actually required to level the gameplay I feel.

Another example, like I said earlier me and 5 other clan mates were literally ripping up the opposite teams all night last night. Quite a few of those games the players on the opposing teams were going 0 kills 10 deaths or so.

If they can't kill bots to reduce their Titanfall times and we have ours in quickly how are they supposed to put up any kind of fight?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Why? Have they no hands? Are they afraid of the ONE TRUE CONTROL METHOD WAY? :p</trolling>

6v6 + creeps, based on the 2 maps we've seen and the mechanics of the game is brilliant. It makes it more manageable if you want to have a competitive scene too (although I don't think this is where they're going with this). I'd happily leave that alone or maybe allow some adjustment for the map. As people have already said, the Fracture map being much more open would possibly lend itself to 8v8, but I'll wager they already tested it and found that the 6v6 was better.

It's something that I think we should acknowledge, there seems to be a good deal of polish on this game - which one should expect as a bare minimum for a AAA game, but given that 2013 will be remembered (by me at least) as the Year of the Unfinished Game (Sim City, BF4, CoD, Arkham Origins, etc), it's genuinely refreshing to see someone finally say "no, we're not releasing an unfinished product" especially when it's the studio's first major release - just look at the virtual kicking WB Montreal are receiving after bolloxing up Arkham Origins (thankfully, I managed to avoid most of the bugs on that one).

Isn't it a shame that you now have to point out when companies are doing what they're supposed to do and not fking us over as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Cool, thanks for that.

Played first few hours last night, enjoyed it. I can see why so many people describe it as fun, it does put a grin on your face:)

Ran very well on PC, I did have to disable crossfire though. No support for that in the beta.I can live with that though. I was running it at 1440p on 1 7950 (with an overclock)and with 2xmsaa and 16x antiscopic and everything else to max i was getting between 50-60fps. Altgough the game doesnt have the best graphics ive seen it looks nice enough that you would expect it to be more demanding. Especially with all the quick movement/frantic action going on. The source engine holds up very well here imo

Im gonna put a few more hours in before the beta closes to get a better feel for the game.

My only concern at the moment would be will the game have enough depth to keep me interested in the long term, have to see what sort of content will be in the full release and there plans for dlc. Although I need more game time to get a better idea.

But the gameplay I found quite fun, although I doubt ill pick it up on release,Id say I will probably pick it up cheap at some point, gotta love cheap games on PC. (Pre order is already going for €33 on one key site I checked:))

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've got crossfire running and have no problems with it. Curious...

Ok so i got an eamil back saying I was accepted to the beta!Yeah:pac:

But when I log into origin where do I go to download it?

EDIT: got it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Should be under 'My Games' on Origin.

I think it's good but the AI is criminally bad. Just stand there to get mown down. Takes a bit of the fun out of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Played it again for another couple of hours.

I'm really growing to like it. It reminds me som much of a cross between the aspects of COD I lied and Unreal Tournament which I loved.

A ton of fun.

Should be under 'My Games' on Origin.
    yeah i just had to refresh the page :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They should replace the bots with human players, but limit the number of titans on the map at any one time. Angel City would be ridiculous with 64 players! Its not that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

MadYaker wrote: »
    They should replace the bots with human players, but limit the number of titans on the map at any one time. Angel City would be ridiculous with 64 players! Its not that big.
    64 players? Whats with this talk?

z2Lq8by.jpg?1?9114

Pushtrak wrote: »
    64 players? Whats with this talk?

z2Lq8by.jpg?1?9114

I searched Youtube for '64 is the magic number' to find something funny to reply to you as a joke.

I found this. I'm not displeased at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's gotten to the point where every time I read a complaint about the player count I stubbornly reinforce my own admiration for Respawn's decision and dedication. I'm a horrible person :(

Advertisement