Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cian Healy cited for biting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Isn't Healy a loose head?

Quite correct, my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

This is the best angle of the incident I've seen and easier to view as a gif. Not sure on the situation still but Sheahan undoubtedly mashes his forearm into Healy's face on the deck. Time will tell.

diapo1c5476abec235ac5699378202ea5faa3.gif

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Seems to be an index finger sticking out just before Healy hits the deck. Can't see much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

looks like sheehans hand and then forearm came into contact with healys faces, id suspect it wasnt accidental either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Seems to be an index finger sticking out just before Healy hits the deck. Can't see much else.

That's what I saw, his finger is in Healy's mouth for whatever reason (he has a clear view of Healy's face so I suspect he knew what he was doing) and the forearm "mashing" looks like a reaction to the bite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Tox56 wrote: »
    That's what I saw, his finger is in Healy's mouth for whatever reason (he has a clear view of Healy's face so I suspect he knew what he was doing) and the forearm "mashing" looks like a reaction to the bite

Except that the bite is alleged to have been on his forearm, wasn't it? Sheehan certainly seemed to be trying to show a mark on his forearm to the ref. Although the mark would obviously also be there if you jam your arm into someones mouth, as it looks like in the replay.

Sheehan has plenty of previous for being a mouthy fella anyway, and playing very close to the edge. He basically withdrew the accusation at half time by saying it was possibly an accident, so make of that what you will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    Except that the bite is alleged to have been on his forearm, wasn't it? Sheehan certainly seemed to be trying to show a mark on his forearm to the ref. Although the mark would obviously also be there if you jam your arm into someones mouth, as it looks like in the replay.

Sheehan has plenty of previous for being a mouthy fella anyway, and playing very close to the edge. He basically withdrew the accusation at half time by saying it was possibly an accident, so make of that what you will

Jamming your forearm in to someone's face wouldn't leave no marks on your forearm. That would only happen in the person decided to bite down on your fore arm. He also never withdrew his accusation. He said it could have been accidential or on purpose, he wasn't sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Jamming your arm into someone's half open mouth does leave a mark, but it looks like his hand was in Healys mouth before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Disgraceful accusation to make if not true. It looks like Sheehan was pushing his finger towards Healy's mouth. It doesn't even look in his mouth. Set up imo.

It looks like Sheahan was shovin his hand into Healy's face/mouth and then his forearm. Both Healy's hands were on the ball, he was falling the opposite direction so essentially it was near impossible for him to go for Sheahan or attempt to bite him. However, if Sheahan got his finger/arm into Healy's mouth and Healy bit him I still expect a ban to follow. You cannot bite someone even if their hand/finger/arm is pressed into your mouth. It's mitigation but still a ban.

• Advertisement

decisions wrote: »
    Jamming your arm into someone's half open mouth does leave a mark, but it looks like his hand was in Healys mouth before that.

It would leave a mark for a minute at most. You'd need to able a lot of pressure and doing that while jamming your forearm in a person mouth would be very very difficult.

Jamming your forearm in to someone's face wouldn't leave no marks on your forearm. That would only happen in the person decided to bite down on your fore arm. He also never withdrew his accusation. He said it could have been accidential or on purpose, he wasn't sure.

If you jam your forearm into my open mouth it will leave a mark I can assure you

Tox56 wrote: »
    If you jam your forearm into my open mouth it will leave a mark I can assure you

*Mashes forearm into teeth*

Yup. Visible teeth marks that remain after a few minutes.

Secondly, ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Buer wrote: »
    It looks like Sheahan was shovin his hand into Healy's face/mouth and then his forearm. Both Healy's hands were on the ball, he was falling the opposite direction so essentially it was near impossible for him to go for Sheahan or attempt to bite him. However, if Sheahan got his finger/arm into Healy's mouth and Healy bit him I still expect a ban to follow. You cannot bite someone even if their hand/finger/arm is pressed into your mouth. It's mitigation but still a ban.

There is such as think as gouging in an opponents mouth. I remember after the Ireland -Argies game about 8-9 years ago, the one Ireland won in Lansdowne with a ROG drop in the last minute, that Simon Easterby (i think) complained after the game about the Argies constantly gouging mouth/eyes and one of the Argies picked up a lengthy ban.

The gif image above exonerates Healy IMO. Cant see how it would be deemed deliberate and therefore a ban would be a wrong decision.

Interesting to see the Lions take a totally different approach to the Woodward led circus of 8 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Nothing concrete in the gif tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If anything, it looks more like deliberate contact with Healy's face.

neilmulvey wrote: »
    There is such as think as gouging in an opponents mouth. I remember after the Ireland -Argies game about 8-9 years ago, the one Ireland won in Lansdowne with a ROG drop in the last minute, that Simon Easterby (i think) complained after the game about the Argies constantly gouging mouth/eyes and one of the Argies picked up a lengthy ban.

The gif image above exonerates Healy IMO. Cant see how it would be deemed deliberate and therefore a ban would be a wrong decision.

Interesting to see the Lions take a totally different approach to the Woodward led circus of 8 years ago.

Since when? People are banned all the time for accidential gouging, biting is no different. He'll get a lesser sentence but he'll still be banned if they think he did bite and rightfully so.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,103 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Since when? People are banned all the time for accidential gouging, biting is no different. He'll get a lesser sentence but he'll still be banned if they think he did bite and rightfully so.

Accidental biting???

That's stretching it a bit...

*Mashes forearm into teeth*

Yup. Visible teeth marks that remain after a few minutes.

Secondly, ouch.

Glad I wasn't alone in trying this :o;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Of course biting an arm is not the same as eye gouging. One can blind, the other can ..... Leave bite marks on your arm.

With eye gouging you are supposed to realise that you are touching an eye. There is no such expectation if someone sticks their arm in your mouth. If that were the law people would try choke the opposition with fingers in mouth knowing the other party would be cited if they bit.

• Advertisement

Of course biting an arm is not the same as eye gouging. One can blind, the other can ..... Leave bite marks on your arm.

With eye gouging you are supposed to realise that you are touching an eye. There is no such expectation if someone sticks their arm in your mouth. If that were the law people would try choke the opposition with fingers in mouth knowing the other party would be cited if they bit.

huh? Why would you do something that would get yourself cited just to get some else cited?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

All the video's I have seen show a clear yellow card offence for the Aussie (deliberate forearm smash to the head) and stop just before the point where Healy would have bitten his forearm if he did. If there is no better video than this then any conviction will be based on other evidence. Given that the ref and the assistant refs didn't see anything I'd be surprised if he is found guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Eoin wrote: »
    If anything, it looks more like deliberate contact with Healy's face.
    Healy was "fish hooked". Sheehan himself could be in trouble too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

huh? Why would you do something that would get yourself cited just to get some else cited?

Don't be dim. I was responding to your claim that "accidental" , or any case of, biting should be an offence. I was opposing that idea. The guy trying to choke you may not have been visible, bite marks would be. In short I was merely saying that biting is a valid response to "I was being choked"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

accidental biting? hahaha

Kalyke wrote: »
    Healy was "fish hooked". Sheehan himself could be in trouble too!

Wasn't cited so can't be in any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Wasn't cited so can't be in any trouble.
    Is there a time limit on citing?

Don't be dim. I was responding to your claim that "accidental" , or any case of, biting should be an offence. I was opposing that idea. The guy trying to choke you may not have been visible, bite marks would be. In short I was merely saying that biting is a valid response to "I was being choked"

But it's not. Same way gouging someone if you are being gouged isn't a valid response.

Kalyke wrote: »
    Is there a time limit on citing?

48 hours generally but the nature of Lions tours means the reviews are done very quickly. I believe he reviewed the footage of the Healy incident and also the Murray non-stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

But it's not. Same way gouging someone if you are being gouged isn't a valid response.

Tbh if you're deliberately being choked, as in you're unable to breath, I think basically anything is a proportional response.

Not that that's what happened here or anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement