Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cian Healy cited for biting

Options

Comments

If he's guilty he'll see 10-12 weeks ban minimum, especially given the cock up with the Stamping Ban and the fact that that was only recent.

Really, really scummy act to be associated with.

Hope it's all hot air and he's not that kind of guy, but I don't see why false accusations would be placed at his door tbh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Honest question...what if he's being deliberately fish-hooked?
    Is it acceptable then?

I'm not saying it is or it isn't, but curious to get people's view on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Carnegie wrote: »
    There has never been a serious injury in sport from biting apart from Tyson biting Holyfield
    That's okay then . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I think people should hold back until evidence or otherwise is presented

Exactly.

In the words of almost every post-match interview "I didn't see the incident" myself. Nipped out for a coffee then this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hearing pushed back further until late tonight Irish time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

fitz wrote: »
    Honest question...what if he's being deliberately fish-hooked?
    Is it acceptable then?

I'm not saying it is or it isn't, but curious to get people's view on it...

I would say yes. It's like if some dude is eye-gouging you, is it OK to punch him? Of course it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Buer wrote: »
    Hearing pushed back further until late tonight Irish time.

Friday morning (2300 Irish time) according to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I would say yes. It's like if some dude is eye-gouging you, is it OK to punch him? Of course it is.

Another example I believe is Roger Wilson, I think it was in a Churchill Cup Match where he was either sent off or cited for headbutting, but I think it was revealed at his hearing that the opposition player had grabbed hold off a rather delicate area and was squeezing hard and his only form of defence was to use his head. He still got a ban but as far as I can remember it wasn't that heavy given his offence so of course there are mitigating factors in such incidents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/5077894.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

vkid wrote: »
    BBCNews just showed a short clip...not of the bite, but showing Sheehan pointing at his forearm....fishooking looks unlikely in that case.

I'm not defending Healy here, I'm defending the act of biting if someone was getting fishhooked - which I feel is justified and obviously should a ban should be handed out, but I'd find it easier to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Looking at the evidence this is a joke of a citing.

* Scrumhalf claims he was bitten, points at his forearm
    * TMO reviews video during the game and says no foul play
    * Scrumhalf retracts the accusation at half time
    * Healy gets cited anyway
    * Video of the incident shows scrumhalfs fingers around the mouth area of a prone and immobilized Healy, Healy doesn't even move his head. Then scrumhalf shoves his forearm into Healy's face

Who knows, but in my mind you cannot find the player guilty based on the above - it is all a bit too murky. Unless there is some other piece of evidence out there.

• Advertisement

He did not retract his accusation. He said it may have been accidental. He then went on to make a statement to the citing officer at the game afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

.ak wrote: »
    We're not animals...

Well, technically, we are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Dub13 wrote: »
    A footballer does this and there is outrage. Barly got a mention on the news here.

Innocent until proven guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rudiger2.0

There was the Wannenburg-Hartley incident in the Heineken cup in 2011, I think. Wannenburg is clearly seen to bite Hartley but Hartley was trying some fancy decapitation move so everybody didn't really care about the bite, including Poite.

Though maybe that was because it was Hartley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

According to the Sky commentary, Sheehan is particularly famed for 'sledging'.
    His accusation reeks of this. Incidents where a player would be held down by a forearm across the throat are common. Placing your forearm into the open mouth of a player who does not wear a mouthguard looks suspiciously like pre-meditated.

One way or another, Healy's tour is over unless we lose the 1st Test and LH is a huge problem area, and Healy is fit again.

Very unfortunate for any player to miss out on Lion's Test debut in this way.
    Won't be the only injury before the 1st Test either.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Surely this is an easy call.

1. there would be 'confirmed' medical evidence of a bite
    2. there would be conclusive video evidence and / or witness statements (doubtful)
    3. there will be referees and assistant referees reports (doubtful)

see here for what damning evidence was used in Dylan Hartleys citing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Noopti wrote: »

* Video of the incident shows scrumhalfs fingers around the mouth area of a prone and immobilized Healy, Healy doesn't even move his head. Then scrumhalf shoves his forearm into Healy's face

Who knows, but in my mind you cannot find the player guilty based on the above - it is all a bit too murky. Unless there is some other piece of evidence out there.

Citing doesn't imply guilt, and by all accounts from what your saying they won't find him guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Grimebox wrote: »
    Citing doesn't imply guilt, and by all accounts from what your saying they won't find him guilty.

Absolutely correct.

But what if Sheehan's intention was to damage the Lion's chances against Australia by having Healy banned for biting ?

I know it sounds extreme that anyone would be that premeditated.
    It's not like a hooker & a centre spear-tackling the opposition's best player in the opening minutes of a Test.

Could a finding against Sheehan be made ?
    Or is only for or against Healy that a finding can be made ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Citing is the proper course of action here. Both sides will be given due process and that's all you can ask for in a situation like this.

If it was a case of fingers in the mouth then Sheenan has no one to blame but himself. In much the same way acidental contact with the eye area is a disciplinary matter, the differance being the eyes can't defend themselves unlike your mouth. Reminds me of the NFL player Jim Brown many years ago when he was brought before a disciplinary panel for biting a players fingers who jammed them in his mouth. When asked about it he said "well everything inside my mouth belongs to me", case closed.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Noopti wrote: »

He never retracted the accusation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

JRant wrote: »
    Citing is the proper course of action here. Both sides will be given due process and that's all you can ask for in a situation like this.

If it was a case of fingers in the mouth then Sheenan has no one to blame but himself. In much the same way acidental contact with the eye area is a disciplinary matter, the differance being the eyes can't defend themselves unlike your mouth. Reminds me of the NFL player Jim Brown many years ago when he was brought before a disciplinary panel for biting a players fingers who jammed them in his mouth. When asked about it he said "well everything inside my mouth belongs to me", case closed.

If you read the report on Hartley biting Ferris,it shows that it's not as simple as finger in mouth = permission to bite.Due to the nature of rugby,you can end up in uncomfortable positions,such as your hand being near someone's mouth.That does not give them the right to react in whatever manner they see fit.

I do agree that Healy's probably innocent on this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Swan Curry wrote: »
    If you read the report on Hartley biting Ferris,it shows that it's not as simple as finger in mouth = permission to bite.Due to the nature of rugby,you can end up in uncomfortable positions,such as your hand being near someone's mouth.That does not give them the right to react in whatever manner they see fit.

I do agree that Healy's probably innocent on this one though.

I agree completely, thats why I'm glad due process is being given to the matter. The disciplinary panel will have footage, medical reports and statements from both sides. I'm sure it will be dealt with accordingly.

I suppose the point I was trying to make was if you jam your fingers into someones mouth there's no point in complaining if they get bitten. Completely different to purposefully going looking for a nibble on an opposing player.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

For Paws wrote: »

One way or another, Healy's tour is over unless we lose the 1st Test and TH is a huge problem area, and Healy is fit again.

Very unfortunate for any player to miss out on Lion's Test debut in this way.
    Won't be the only injury before the 1st Test either.

Isn't Healy a loose head?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭Fits Morris

.ak wrote: »
    Just my 2c... I've been on the receiving end of a punch up before, I'm sure many of us have, but I'll gladly shake hands after a game... Probably have a pint too! But if somebody BIT me... It's just not on, it's something cowards do, lads that can't handle themselves or square up to another bloke, so they bite when the other person can't do anything? Absolute cowardly act, as bad as gouging IMO and could do as much damage depending where they bite and by how hard.

A punch to the head can kill, or at least break your jaw, or your nose, or your eye socket, maybe knock a few teeth in, or possibly leave you brain damaged.

I've yet to hear of somebody dying, or receiving serious injuries like the ones I listed, after being bitten.

You can't compare the Suarez incident to, say, Tuilagi punching Ashton in terms of seriousness. I certainly know which one I'd rather have been on the receiving end of if I had to pick. Hint - it's the one where the player received a longer suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Carnegie wrote: »
    There has never been a serious injury in sport from biting apart from Tyson biting Holyfield. There have been thousands of serious injurys in sport as a result of punching.

I don't remember anyone ever drowning from being spat on either, but like .ak said, I'd have a lot less respect for someone who did that to me than had a swing at me. It's about as base a thing as you could do without flinging your own poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

He's done. He can ring Dylan Hartley and ask for advice on how to deal with it.

How the hell is he "done"? Nothing has been shown to suggest that this citing will find him guilty

If it is true Healy will go down in my estimation. I gave him the benefit of the doubt after the Cole incident but there's no place for biting in rugby, regardless of someone putting a forearm in your face

Punching the head off someone and biting someone are both cowardly and pathetic. For some reason digging someone in the head is seen as macho and acceptable by many. Neither are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

trouttrout wrote: »
    How the hell is he "done"? Nothing has been shown to suggest that this citing will find him guilty

Sure we'll find out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Point take that my point may be early, I just seen this on the main page and noticed a distinct lack of the media wanting to run with this story.

Maybe you should put it in context of the amount of coverage that Football gets in general compared to Rugby, that might help clear it up for you. So strange for a Liverpool fan to have a chip on their shoulder :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Point take that my point may be early, I just seen this on the main page and noticed a distinct lack of the media wanting to run with this story.

Despite it being featured in every Irish broadsheet?

Also the coverage between soccer and rugby in Ireland is in no way comparable considering the tabloid sports sections have little if any rugby and are packed to the hilt with soccer

Not sure what your point is, but its gone very wrong for you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement