Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cian Healy cited for biting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A general question, if Healy is given a suspension will it run during his expected period of injury or will it be postdated (for want of a better word!) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

A general question, if Healy is given a suspension will it run during his expected period of injury or will it be postdated (for want of a better word!) ?

How would that work? Leinster say he's fit to play a few weeks before he actually is? Would be interesting but of course I hope it isn't true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He's done. He can ring Dylan Hartley and ask for advice on how to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Tox56 wrote: »
    How would that work? Leinster say he's fit to play a few weeks before he actually is? Would be interesting but of course I hope it isn't true

I don't know.

But this happened before when someone in the Aviva Prem got banned while picking up an injury in the same game.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

The ban has to be independent of any injury a player is carrying. Whether the player is injured or not during the time they're banned from playing has to be irrelevant in the judicial process. It wouldn't make sense to have it any other way. It wouldn't get very far past any player's lawyers to announce that they're guilty and have to serve a 6 week ban but it will be from some point in the future when they're in good condition. That's discriminatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think they'll have to have it run instantaneously given they won't know the extent of his injury for another day or two.

In relation to the incident, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to Healy at the moment. No footage I've viewed shows any biting. The accuser is on the record as saying he was going to try a few things to get under the skin of the Lions and get a reaction. In the only still image I've seen, his hand is placed down across Healy's face at a ruck. Why is his hand there? Healy's reaction straight away suggests he felt that Sheahan had tried to shove his hand into Healy's mouth.

If there's an angle or footage that shows Healy taking a bite at him, then, yes, ban him for the rest of the tour and deservedly.

I also believe the hearing will be in Brisbane so Sheahan won't be there to provide evidence. Hopefully that works for Healy although who knows what he said in his statement to the citing commissioner straight afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

They should have brought some horse burgers with them, to prevent incidents like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Easy, just get the same citation commissioner that sorted POC out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Buer wrote: »
    I think they'll have to have it run instantaneously given they won't know the extent of his injury for another day or two.

In relation to the incident, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to Healy at the moment. No footage I've viewed shows any biting. The accuser is on the record as saying he was going to try a few things to get under the skin of the Lions and get a reaction. In the only still image I've seen, his hand is placed down across Healy's face at a ruck. Why is his hand there? Healy's reaction straight away suggests he felt that Sheahan had tried to shove his hand into Healy's mouth.

If there's an angle or footage that shows Healy taking a bite at him, then, yes, ban him for the rest of the tour and deservedly.

I also believe the hearing will be in Brisbane so Sheahan won't be there to provide evidence. Hopefully that works for Healy although who knows what he said in his statement to the citing commissioner straight afterwards.

Doesn't make a differencee if Healy did bite him. I'd say there is decent evidence of bit marks on Sheahan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

They should have brought some horse burgers with them, to prevent incidents like this.

A footballer does this and there is outrage. Barly got a mention on the news here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

personally speaking, if he did bite someone, it is a particularly scummy thing to do.
    He should get a very long ban if true and would have no sympathy for him,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Dub13 wrote: »
    A footballer does this and there is outrage. Barly got a mention on the news here.

What utter crap.

You do know he's been 'cited', not found guilty?

Unless you have some Suarez esque footage of Healy up your sleeve? :rolleyes:

Is this your first post on the rugby forum by the way?

Pretty bad when a 'mod' is acting the seagull.

What utter crap.

You do know he's been 'cited', not found guilty?

Unless you have some Suarez esque footage of Healy up your sleeve? :rolleyes:

Is this your first post on the rugby forum by the way?

Pretty bad when a 'mod' is acting the seagull.

First I am not a mod here. Yes I know he has only been cited and maybe this is not the correct place to bring this up but bitting has happened before in rugby and it does not seem to get the same press as the Suarez incident.

First I am not a mod here. Yes I know he has only been cited and maybe this is not the correct place to bring this up but bitting has happened before in rugby and it does not seem to get the same press as the Suarez incident.

You're not a mod here indeed, but perhaps you should know better?
    And you're right, it isn't the right place to be bringing up your gripes about how rugby is perceived compared to soccer.

You're taking an incident which hasn't been proven yet as a reason to bring up a personal gripe about a sport. Is this your first post on the forum? As I say, acting the seagull.

Doesn't make a differencee if Healy did bite him. I'd say there is decent evidence of bit marks on Sheahan.

Well, yes, that would mean he bit him.

There have been incidents of players shoving their hands into opposition players mouths though.

That is because so far there is little substantiation and it would be out of character. To be honest, that is a pretty stupid comment, don't know where you are coming from because the most recent incident of a soccer player biting was backed up with a lot of video evidence on top of an individual with plenty of prior's.

Really daft comment, deserving of a Ban imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Well even if Healy did bite him (which i highly doubt he'd be stupid enough to do), theres a difference between doing what Suarez did and somebody sticking their fingers into healys mouth while on top of him.

Context is a great thing.

You can't honestly think that this incident would get the same coverage as a game in the UK, where half of our available TV and media is based that occurred in what is vastly the most popular sport in the world?

It's like complaining that the presidential election in Norway didn't get as much coverage as the presidential election in the U.S.

Ok, so if he is found guilty tomorrow we should expect the same kind of outrage. Thats the point I am making.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Uh huh.

• Advertisement

Ok, so if he is found guilty tomorrow we should explicit the same kind of outrage. Thats the point I am making.

Eh ok? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

What the hell are you on about.

Ok, so if he is found guilty tomorrow we should explicit the same kind of outrage. Thats the point I am making.

And there will be but not to the same level of coverage for aforementioned reasons.

Point take that my point may be early, I just seen this on the main page and noticed a distinct lack of the media wanting to run with this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm sure we'll be told to stop discussing this comparison shortly, but I suspect that the reason there's a lot more coverage and outrage is that soccer is a lot more popular - in general - across the world than rugby. Far more people watch it. Therefore when something happens there (in soccer), it's more of a story, since it's relevant to more people - it also attracts more media hype because of this, and the amounts of money involved. Soccer, generally, is more sensationalist and events/reactions are bigger across the board simply due to the numbers of people interested.

But anyways, is there a clip of the alleged incident, to bring us back on topic? Didn't see it live.

Ok, so if he is found guilty tomorrow we should expect the same kind of outrage. Thats the point I am making.

Well. Yes?

Maybe not on the same level because Rugby's populatiry doesn't spread as far but it would destroy his reputation and rightly so.

What point are you attempting to make?

Do you just not like Rugby, or Rugby supporters?

This is baffling.

Point take that my point may be early, I just seen this on the main page and noticed a distinct lack of the media wanting to run with this story.

Why do you even care? Is it perhaps because you're a Liverpool fan and have a bee in your bonnet over the Suarez incident? Will a level of 'media outrage' similar to Suarez incident appease you like?!

Childish stuff tbh. Maybe we should take the advice of the soccer forum and have a post limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Just watched it back, absolutely nothing in it. Looks like the Aussie dude shoved his hand in Healy's mouth. Why, I have no idea.

It's on the front page of the BBC Sport website and has been for several hours, what more do you want? The Suarez incident was clear for all to see and happened in the most popular sport in the world to one of the sports most notorious players. This happened at the bottom of a ruck with little to no footage in a relatively low key game in a substantially less popular sport, and absolutely nothing has yet been proven, the incidents aren't remotely alike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sheehan admitted at half time it may have been accidental!! Can't have been that hard if he was willing to admit that.

I'd say Sheehan just got too close to Healy's mouth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement