Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cian Healy cited for biting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Carnegie

Healy is a hard player and there was the stamping and he's thrown a fair few punches but nothing as low as biting. In that sense it would be out of character.

Punching is much worse than biting. You can't do any serious damage by biting someone unless you bite their ear, nose or lips. But punching someone can cause broken bones, concussion or death.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hearing isn't on until evening local time so it will be lunch at least before a verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Carnegie wrote: »
    Punching is much worse than biting. You can't do any serious damage by biting someone unless you bite their ear, nose or lips. But punching someone can cause broken bones, concussion or death.

That statement is bordering on retarded.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    That statement is bordering on retarded.

how so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Buer wrote: »
    In the video though, it didn't look like the forearm was near the mouth at all

Havent seen anything more than that,.

I do think the argument that he put his hand/arm in Healys mouth to frame him or whatever is weak at best tbh...

Why would you bother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

That is because so far there is little substantiation and it would be out of character. To be honest, that is a pretty stupid comment, don't know where you are coming from because the most recent incident of a soccer player biting was backed up with a lot of video evidence on top of an individual with plenty of prior's.

Really daft comment, deserving of a Ban imo.

biting might be out of character but he has previous like his recent cowardly stamp which he had a ban for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

vkid wrote: »

I do think the argument that he put his hand/arm in Healys mouth to frame him or whatever is weak at best tbh...

Why would you bother?
    because he said before the game that he would do anything he could to get under the Lions skin and piss them off and hoprefully get a few to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

vkid wrote: »

Why would you bother?

Normally I'd agree but this guy explicitly came out and said before the match he was going to try and get under Lions players skin, and he'd been involved in niggly incidents throughout the match. It's easily possible he was intentionally shoving his arm/hand where he shouldn't have

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Buer wrote: »
    In the video though, it didn't look like the forearm was near the mouth at all

I think the forearm came into contact at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

how so?

Because a human bite is disgusting and dangerous and can transmit all types disease, bacteria or viruses contained in the human mouth. You would need a tetanus shot or booster and it's a cowardly and disgusting thing to do to someone. Have you ever played contact sport? You can defend yourself from a punch.

• Advertisement

maybe, as I said anything is possible.. I don;t buy it myself tho

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Folks, drop the snide remarks and jabs, and the back seat modding too. Bans have been issued.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Because a human bite is disgusting and dangerous and can transmit all types disease, bacteria or viruses contained in the human mouth. You would need a tetanus shot or booster and it's a cowardly and disgusting thing to do to someone. Have you ever played contact sport? You can defend yourself from a punch.

Nonsense, players regularly have blood tests to ensure they do not have diseases/viruses that can be transmitted to others. When was the last time you heard of someone being seriously injured or dieing as a result of a bite? Exactly- never!!!! When was the last time you heard of someone breaking their nose or jaw or dieing as a result of a punch- on a regular basis. I find it fascinating how people seem to think biting is worse than punching, despite the vast wealth of evidence that punching is worse than biting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Just watched it back, absolutely nothing in it. Looks like the Aussie dude shoved his hand in Healy's mouth. Why, I have no idea.

Just like when Dave Kearney shoved his face into POC's boot, nothing in it. I still cant figure out why Kearney did such a stupid thing..:D

Nonsense, players regularly have blood tests to ensure they do not have diseases/viruses that can be transmitted to others. When was the last time you heard of someone being seriously injured or dieing as a result of a bite? Exactly- never!!!! When was the last time you heard of someone breaking their nose or jaw or dieing as a result of a punch- on a regular basis. I find it fascinating how people seem to think biting is worse than punching, despite the vast wealth of evidence that punching is worse than biting.

Just my 2c... I've been on the receiving end of a punch up before, I'm sure many of us have, but I'll gladly shake hands after a game... Probably have a pint too! But if somebody BIT me... It's just not on, it's something cowards do, lads that can't handle themselves or square up to another bloke, so they bite when the other person can't do anything? Absolute cowardly act, as bad as gouging IMO and could do as much damage depending where they bite and by how hard.

Which is why Healy, if he is guilty, deserves a lengthy ban.

However, I don't think he will, the SH has gone back on his word by the sounds of it and the citing commissioner is just doing his job by following it up and passing it onto the judiciary. It's completely out of character for Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What happen to the scrum half now if it is found that Healy didn't bite him?

Fairly serious accusation to make if you then back track on it and there is no evidence of it happening be it video or referee's vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

mfceiling wrote: »

Fairly serious accusation to make if you then back track on it and there is no evidence of it happening be it video or referee's vision.

They won't find that Healy didn't bite him. They might find a lack of evidence suggesting he did, but that's still very unlikely.

.ak wrote: »
    Just my 2c... I've been on the receiving end of a punch up before, I'm sure many of us have, but I'll gladly shake hands after a game... Probably have a pint too! But if somebody BIT me... It's just not on, it's something cowards do, lads that can't handle themselves or square up to another bloke, so they bite when the other person can't do anything? Absolute cowardly act, as bad as gouging IMO and could do as much damage depending where they bite and by how hard.

Which is why Healy, if he is guilty, deserves a lengthy ban.

However, I don't think he will, the SH has gone back on his word by the sounds of it and the citing commissioner is just doing his job by following it up and passing it onto the judiciary. It's completely out of character for Healy.

You can't do anything if someone throws a sucker punch at you either, its just as cowardly. If someone jams their hand in your mouth then biting is nothing but an act of defence and perfectly acceptable.

There has never been a serious injury in sport from biting apart from Tyson biting Holyfield. There have been thousands of serious injurys in sport as a result of punching.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You can't do anything if someone throws a sucker punches you either, its just as cowardly. If someone jams their hand in your mouth then biting is nothing but an act of defence and perfectly acceptable.

There has never been a serious injury in sport from biting apart from Tyson biting Holyfield. There have been thousands of serious injurys in sport as a result of punching.
    FFS, biting is cowardly. If you have an issue, take it up with someone face to face rather than face to finger. Its something a 5 year old would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Why is it cowardly to bite and not cowardly to punch? From what I've seen if it happens at the bottom of a ruck, either thing, you do it with the intent of not letting the other player hit back, and each are equally as cowardly. If you bite in open play, you probably actually have more of a chance of being hit back at than if you get a decent punch in, because the punched player will be floored or winded or whatever.

• Advertisement

Because if someone wants to punch me fine, but I'll be punching them back. If someone bites me first off, it's aLOT more painful, and secondly is it acceptable I bite them back? No. We're not animals...

Because if someone wants to punch me fine, but I'll be punching them back. If someone bites me first off, it's aLOT more painful, and secondly is it acceptable I bite them back? No. We're not animals...

You won't be punching them back at the bottom of a ruck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

mfceiling wrote: »

it's a case for CSI sydney :D

matthew8 wrote: »

I will once I get up! But no, I get where your coming from, but I agree that attempting to injure somebody when they can't defend themselves is cowardly. But biting/gouging is the worst kind IMO. It's only ever done by weak minded people I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Punching is clean and the forces used are less than what is one the pitch, also it is clearly considered less reprehensible than biting.

@Carnegie
    I've heard more times per action about bites causing problems than punchs btw.
    Also ya, you are listing tyson as the only major issue for biting that caused a problem. Fair enough, now how many times have there been high profile bites. You say there have been 1000s of incidents serious injuries from punch and we can assume that the ratio per incident is somewhere far above that of biting in terms of serious injury (and death apparently). With this in mind can you please give me examples of punches having these devasting effects in sport or else examples of bites beyond those which i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

matthew8 wrote: »

Punching someone at the bottom of a ruck is completely different from what we were talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

Dub13 wrote: »
    A footballer does this and there is outrage. Barly got a mention on the news here.

ehh lets not start derailing the thread.

Call yourself a moderator. Back on point!

The footage is not clear so if he recovers from the injury he will have a part to play in the tour.

If found guilty he has let Irish rugby down massively.

Hothead!

Punching someone at the bottom of a ruck is completely different from what we were talking about.

How is it different? The idea is that a bite at the bottom of a ruck is more cowardly than a punch at the bottom of a ruck is wrong I think, because really you don't get a chance to hit back at either until the ruck ends and both players get up, and typically the offender will have run back to his own team by then. Any foul play on an unaware player is just as cowardly as the next.

If you're comparing biting at the bottom of a ruck with a punch in open play you're not comparing like with like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think people should hold back until evidence or otherwise is presented. An accusation doesn't mean sh*t... I could now accuse AK of touching my sensitive parts, it doesn't make it true. I think people are jumping the gun a bit.

In terms of the sport also, whilst a bite is a terrible crime, lets not forget Quinlan trying to rearrange Leo Cullens eye ball or Hayes' attempt to open Healy's skull for public viewing before we get all high and mighty...

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »

In terms of the sport also, whilst a bite is a terrible crime, lets not forget Quinlan trying to rearrange Leo Cullens eye ball or Hayes' attempt to open Healy's skull for public viewing before we get all high and mighty...

Some nice whataboutery there. The issue is healy, not quinlan or hayes from years gone by
    For my mind, any player biting is the lowest of the low but each to their own....we'll find
    Out soon enough what healys fate is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement