Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knackers trying to scare people by shouting in faces.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

jimgoose wrote: »
    Oh I am well able to break some ****er's jaw with a fast clatter. I know how to hit someone hard. As a civilized, educated man I expect to not have to Chuck Norris my way down an ordinary street or road in broad daylight, mind you.

Good for you, not much to ask that you can walk down any street in any village, town, city in Ireland. As a civilised, educated man you will be able to identify the moment that the scumbags win because of the apathy, fear, cowardice of ordinary people and those that represent us.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Well Done Charles Bronson.

"No Dice"

Is there something you could be twitching your curtains at?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Good for you, not much to ask that you can walk down any street in any village, town, city in Ireland. As a civilised, educated man you will be able to identify the moment that the scumbags win because of the apathy, fear, cowardice of ordinary people and those that represent us.

Well, there are no votes in putting ill-bred and illiterate little feral brats in prison, so that's why "those that represent us" couldn't give a rattling furk. Film At Eleven. It is not, however, reasonable to expect the average Joe or Josephine Public in Western Europe to be able or willing to respond with physical violence to people who behave according to some sort of Law of The Jungle, and to speak of "a nation of cowards" because they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

wesf wrote: »
    Sorry but I laughed at that :D

But seriously, mandatory sterilisation of scumbags, i'm not even joking.

+1 on the sterilization!

Oh, it didn't take long for the "victim blaming" bs to roll out. Society is the problem, we are a nation with a high percentage of cowards. That is a serious issue.

Yep, so it's the fault of people just walking down the street, trying to live their lives without being bothered by knuckle draggers. Just don't complain when the tourists stop coming completely and Ireland loses out on all that money.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well, there are no votes in putting ill-bred and illiterate little feral brats in prison, so that's why "those that represent us" couldn't give a rattling furk. Film At Eleven. It is not, however, reasonable to expect the average Joe or Josephine Public in Western Europe to be able or willing to respond with physical violence to people who behave according to some sort of Law of The Jungle, and to speak of "a nation of cowards" because they don't.

The nation of cowards is accurate, it covers all aspects of what people are willing to put up with in this country. I wouldn't expect everyone to react with violence but I would expect them to stand up and be willing to point the finger at the guilty, as in turn I would expect the law keepers to respond accordingly. Failure to do so is cowardice,the scum feed on it.
    Whether it is a little scrote on a bmx OR a scrote in a BMW there is a willingness by the majority to cower away from the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Whether it is a little scrote on a bmx OR a scrote in a BMW there is a willingness by the majority to cower away from the right thing.

Well broadly speaking yes, we in this country tend to be a bit like that. I blame the Famine. Or The Irish R.M. or something. ;)

Yep, so it's the fault of people just walking down the street, trying to live their lives without being bothered by knuckle draggers. Just don't complain when the tourists stop coming completely and Ireland loses out on all that money.

My point goes beyond the knuckle draggers. If you witness a crime will you report it, stand in court and identify the perpetrator?

If not you are in my eyes a coward, it is failing the victim.

* not directed at you but in a more general sense, though I would like to know what you would do personally.

My point goes beyond the knuckle draggers. If you see witness a crime will you report it, stand in court and identify the perpetrator?

* not directed at you but in a more general sense, though I would like to know what you would do personally.

Do you know what happens most of the time when you report a crime?

Nothing.

You call the guards, they might interview you, and then you never hear anything about it ever again.

Do you think a tourist who has come to Dublin for a weekend, under the impression that it's a civilised city with decent people, is going to be willing to report the crime and return at a later date (at their own expense) to watch Anto or Jacinta be sentenced to cleaning up some graffiti for a week (if the case even reaches court)?

Get real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

My point goes beyond the knuckle draggers. If you witness a crime will you report it, stand in court and identify the perpetrator?

I think you'd probably find a lot more people willing to do this if they could be reasonably sure they wouldn't encounter said perpetrator around town the same afternoon as they're out on bail...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

What was the tango thing the OP mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

What does it matter? What does that have to do with Dublin being a kip and tourists not wanting to go there?

Are you small, foreign or disabled? If not, that might be why. Scumbags like to pick on people who look out of place and/or would have difficulty defending themselves, not those who 'show fear'. :rolleyes: Victim blaming is just another way of trying to dismiss how serious this issue is getting.

Have to disagree with you here based on my experiences.

I was working on the LUAS line at ballyogan road,repairing a damaged kerb,ergo, on all fours.Just from a cursory glance,I could see 2 12-13 year olds going by,all of a sudden I got a boot up the arse from one of them.

After a brief Bishop Brennan wtf moment I grabbed the wee scrote,pinned him to the wall whilst stabbing the lil' facker in the balls with my pointing trowel,some old bastaad who was passing and who had seen the episode warned me that if I didn't let him go he would get the guards and my employers straight away.

As I had infinitely more to lose than the punk kid,I left him go, but the fact that a 5 foot 3 scobe fancies his chances against a 6"1, 16 st man,and that there will be no consequences,says it all.As for the old man-I just hope that little weasel has robbed him by now

Nothing.

You call the guards, they might interview you, and then you never hear anything about it ever again.

Do you think a tourist who has come to Dublin for a weekend, under the impression that it's a civilised city with decent people, is going to be willing to report the crime and return at a later date (at their own expense) to watch Anto or Jacinta be sentenced to cleaning up some graffiti for a week (if the case even reaches court)?

Get real.

So it's more to do with the law and it's deficiencies, then why are the decent people lobbying their representatives to change the laws?

Afraid or apathetic? So it continues. You come across as exactly the type of person I am talking about, but you carry on defending the victims in your way, though I am still not aware of what your way is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Nothing.

Get real.

The scumbag infestation in our cities is having a negative effect on the economy, tourism and the quality of life for the majority. I really think that they have devolved over the years into a sub-species. They should be barred from all city centers.

wexie wrote: »
    I think you'd probably find a lot more people willing to do this if they could be reasonably sure they wouldn't encounter said perpetrator around town the same afternoon as they're out on bail...

Again this would require the "decent people" to make change happen.

So it's more to do with the law and it's deficiencies, then why are the decent people lobbying their representatives to change the laws?

Afraid or apathetic? So it continues. You come across as exactly the type of person I am talking about, but you carry on defending the victims in your way, though I am still not aware of what your way is.

It has to do with people acting like scum and the guards not doing enough to a) stop it when/before it happens and b) follow up.

I'm not sure how to say this any more plainly. Dublin is a kip and a lot of people have already stopped visiting because of it. If that's fine with you, grand. You sound like one of the apologists who make the whole thing even worse. I don't live in Ireland anymore. I can just see first hand how badly the tourist industry is affected because people often do not feel safe when they visit and come back telling other people not to bother going. People just won't go if they think they're going to get hassle and abuse, they'll go elsewhere. Simple.

It has to do with people acting like scum and the guards not doing enough to a) stop it when/before it happens and b) follow up.

I'm not sure how to say this any more plainly. Dublin is a kip and a lot of people have already stopped visiting because of it. If that's fine with you, grand. You sound like one of the apologists who make the whole thing even worse. I don't live in Ireland anymore. I can just see first hand how badly the tourist industry is affected because people often do not feel safe when they visit and come back telling other people not to bother going. People just won't go if they think they're going to get hassle and abuse, they'll go elsewhere. Simple.

Have a good day.

Have a good day.

You illustrate my point perfectly. My friend who was racially abused/attacked in Dublin 3 weeks ago was upset most of all by how nonchalant the locals seemed to be about it. Your attitude is a great message for worried tourists googling about scumbags in Dublin.

If you get attacked, it's all your fault for looking like a weakling and if you don't ruin the rest of your holiday by trying to report it, it's all your fault.

How lovely Ireland and the Irish are, eh? Why wouldn't anyone want to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

mitosis wrote: »
    It is no wonder so many people think Dublin is a grand place. All the aggravation seems to revolve around you and your missus - the rest of us aren't getting a look in.

In 25 years of living in Tallaght and Inchicore I haven't experienced so many incidents as you have in a few weeks.

Well lucky you. I've also lived in Tallaght and Inchicore, as well as Coolock and Blanchardstown/Clonsilla

In 31 years I've seen a lot but in the last 10 years it has definitely gotten worse, including a fun day out in the park which turned into me having my head kicked in by a gang of lads and a day in the hospital. Admittedly, the last few weeks we've had a bad run of luck but still... A lot of the random and ridiculous acts of violence and mischief I've seen and experienced in Dublin would simply not be tolerated in a lot of other places.

You illustrate my point perfectly. My friend who was racially abused/attacked in Dublin 3 weeks ago was upset most of all by how nonchalant the locals seemed to be about it. Your attitude is a great message for worried tourists googling about scumbags in Dublin.

If you get attacked, it's all your fault for looking like a weakling and if you don't ruin the rest of your holiday by trying to report it, it's all your fault.

I completely agree with this. It's not about how soft a target you look or how strong/weak you look in the eyes of the scumbags. This shouldn't be a factor. The fact that you have to be concerned about that when going about your daily business in your home city is the problem. It's not humane and this is the most disgusting thing about my city these days.

I've learned over the years to be vigilant and always aware of my surroundings because of what I have experienced and seen. The moment I leave my house I am ready to defend myself, but not everybody is the same and nobody should have to be worried that about that. It's simply not normal while out enjoying your day/evening to have some random person lash out at you, rob you at knife point, grab your phone out of your hand or threaten you.

Anyone who thinks this isn't happening MANY times a day in Dublin hasn't got a clue or who thinks it's normal and happens everywhere is seriously deluded.

**EDIT** I've also spoken to some friends on this, and I genuinely believe that people who drive a vehicle on a daily basis are slightly ignorant of a lot of the things I've highlighted. I STRONGLY believe (since just recently after my girlfirned was mugged) that driving your own car is the safest way to get around Dublin. It prevents people from seeing or experiencing a lot of this crap. I don't drive and either walk, cycle or use public transport. I'd urge anyone to do the same for a couple of weeks instead of driving into the City, and then see if they do not experience or see some of the crap myself and others have mentioned in this thread.

• Advertisement

Read my posts. When you read them you will see that my point is to advocate a change by the people of this country that will reclaim these fictional streets you and your ilk believe are being over-run by scum.

Your friend had the misfortune of this incident happening in the vicinity of the cowards I describe, not people of my ilk who will not stand by and let it happen. Hopefully these foreign googlers will see that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dizzymac

ilk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I'm thinking of offering a hug if this happens to me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

Valetta wrote: »
    Maybe a lot of people who live in Dublin actually see that this sort of behaviour is not as widespread as other people who don't live in Dublin seem to think.

Sorry, but as a resident in Dublin for the last 18 years, it's definitely getting worse.... and it's pretty widespread, just one stroll down O' Connell (for example) will testify to that.

True, other cities have their rough areas, but by-and-large, the tourist/commercial areas are protected / policed. This is not the case in Dublin. I rarely go into the city centre now. Not that I necessarily feel unsafe, but its just not a pleasant place to be.

.. and there's no point saying: "sure it's no different to any other large city". We should not accept other peoples standards, we should set our own based on the type of city / society that we want. Why not be the city that other aspire to??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It is all about a lack of respect for others and authority brought about by a lack if quality parenting.

I think the social welfare system in combination with the justice system here is a big part of it.

If kids know that a) the state will provide them with free money, housing and healthcare for life while they can b) accumulate multiple criminal convictions with little or no consequences, you end up with what is being described here:

Generations of kids with an absolute sense of entitlement, zero work ethic, zero respect for the law and zero respect for others.

They are safe in the knowledge that the state will take from the workers of the country and give to them , no questions asked.

Indeed, why would they respect such an immoral system?

I'm no church goer but when Catholicism was the order of the day in this country - at least there was some sense of a higher authority, something to be feared. Now that the church has crumbled, neither parents nor the state has stepped in to fill the void.

There are no consequences for these people.

Two words that might put a little manners on them: food stamps.

I've said it here before, the state is obliged to provide food, shelter, water and education. There is no UN human rights statute requiring the state to provide people with free cash.

Any misdemeanor should be attached to a persons SW entitlements or to the parents entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

kyub wrote: »
    **EDIT** I've also spoken to some friends on this, and I genuinely believe that people who drive a vehicle on a daily basis are slightly ignorant of a lot of the things I've highlighted. I STRONGLY believe (since just recently after my girlfirned was mugged) that driving your own car is the safest way to get around Dublin. It prevents people from seeing or experiencing a lot of this crap. I don't drive and either walk, cycle or use public transport. I'd urge anyone to do the same for a couple of weeks instead of driving into the City, and then see if they do not experience or see some of the crap myself and others have mentioned in this thread.

Yep, I've been trying to warn my sister about this. I've always done both, as in when I'm drinking, I've taken the nightlink or just used bus during the day if driving was a hassle but also have had to use the car a lot because the buses are so infrequent. When driving, I rarely have experiences like this, bar homeless people hassling you at the car park pay machine. But once you're in your car, lock the doors and you're pretty safe. I don't feel safe taking taxis with all the things that have happened to people I know and just waiting around for buses etc you can get dragged into fights or anything.

But my sister isn't confident enough to drive into town because she always gets lost, even with a Sat Nav and when taking the bus has often found herself lost and stranded somehow. Hopeless! Driving would be safer for her anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

You need a hand gun and you need to use it. Get a gun and blast the next person who gives you a fright... blast them in the fucking face.

and then this

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I would take issue with the fact that Dublin is a kip to be honest and I have lived amongst its rougher elements. Every captial city has its share of scumbags. In fact I think Dublin's crime rate is lower than a lot of captial cities. Yes of course there are scumbags and I don't think that the justice system tackles them properly but I think it's unfair to single out Dublin.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Every captial city has its share of scumbags.

At the end of the day, this is the same line that always gets pulled out of the bag, but I don't give a ****e about every other capital city. I care about my city and where I live. I've lived in Dublin my entire life. I've visited and spent time in a LOT of countries and cities including Manila, Cancun, Salt Lake City to name a few but never seen scumbags let away with the type of stuff that happens here with absolutely no repercussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

kyub wrote: »
    At the end of the day, this is the same line that always gets pulled out of the bag, but I don't give a ****e about every other capital city. I care about my city and where I live. I've lived in Dublin my entire life. I've visited and spent time in a LOT of countries and cities including Manila, Cancun, Salt Lake City to name a few but never seen scumbags let away with the type of stuff that happens here with absolutely no repercussions.

Well I think we can agree on that bit. I don't understand some of the sentences that are handed down to people.

Advertisement