Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I hope it's 24 hour like before, t'would be handy for us nocturnal folks that need milk and bread at 4am.
    The sign on it says 24 hour anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Interesting one on GBFM

Applegreen may open on the former site of Hanley motors. There used to be a filling station there years ago (Maxol I think) and they will be completely modernising the site.

The proposal is to demolish at least some of the existing buildings (it's not clear if this includes the showrooms), construct new shops offices & car wash as well as put in new storage tanks & 4 pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Cookes is reopening this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

antoobrien wrote: »
    Interesting one on GBFM

Applegreen may open on the former site of Hanley motors. There used to be a filling station there years ago (Maxol I think) and they will be completely modernising the site.

The proposal is to demolish at least some of the existing buildings (it's not clear if this includes the showrooms), construct new shops offices & car wash as well as put in new storage tanks & 4 pumps.

Where is this site? Can't recall hanley motors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Where is this site? Can't recall hanley motors

I think it's the former Renault garage on the Tuam road.
    It was using the citygate name for a while, it has been closed for some time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Twas indeed the Citygate premises on the Tuam road. It was Hanley motors in a previous life.

Also on that same road at Flemings the site on the left (as you enter Flemings forecourt ) that was shuttered for the last 4 or 5 years seems to be underway again during the week.

Westy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

http://galwayindependent.com/20131030/business/new-xtra-visionhmv-store-now-open-S26610.html
    Commenting on the openings, Hilco Capital Ireland CEO, Larry Howard said that integrating HMV with Xtra-vision is a “very exciting way of bringing the HMV brand into towns all over Ireland”.

“Most of these towns have never had a HMV store located in close proximity, and Hilco is looking forward to delivering the HMV experience to these locations. We hope the people of Galway welcome and embrace the new Xtra-vision/HMV store in the town.”

I presume this is the where the existing extravision shop is (beside Happy Days I think, no mention in the article), seems to be a partnership/rebranding exercise to try to drum up custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

antoobrien wrote: »
    seems to be a partnership/rebranding exercise to try to drum up custom.
    No, Hilco bought both of these chains when they went bust and now they're trying to see if either of these dead ducks can fly again.

They had been converging anyway, with Xtra-Vision selling CDs and HMV selling videos, but online killed them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Preliminary works starting on the Monaghans site on the Tuam Road where Quinn's BMW will be, between their current dealership and the Galway Plate restaurant. Due to open early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

The new Evergreen store in Oranmore has opened, had a quick look a few minutes ago as I did the Tesco shopping its even bigger than the Headford road one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Paddy Fahy's pub on Bohermore is closed again.

No signs on the door, but it' s most definitely not open right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Paddy Fahy's pub on Bohermore is closed again.

No signs on the door, but it' s most definitely not open right now.

Been closed the last month at least. Cookes re-opening this or next week too as per FB.

Been closed the last month at least. Cookes re-opening this or next week too as per FB.

Yeah, I thought so: I've been past a few times in recent weeks at times when it would probably be open - except if it was on winter hours or somesuch. But seeing it closed at 5:30pm tonight was definite evidence, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

That 'Chip Inn' place on the headford road/woodquay is back open

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

CeX are opening in the former 02 store on Williamsgate Street. They are hiring 10 staff. Interviews will be held in GBC Restaurant on Williamsgate Street on Friday 7th November between 10am and 5pm.

CeX are a gaming and technology retail chain. They already have shops in Ireland.

I don't have a link but I know it was posted on official GMIT SU social media

De tang has closed down. I think it will be reopening as chi very soon though. Same owners but slightly different menu. Personally I prefered da tangs menu

Paddyfield wrote: »
    CeX are opening in the former 02 store on Williamsgate Street. They are hiring 10 staff. Interviews will be held in GBC Restaurant on Williamsgate Street on Friday 7th November between 10am and 5pm.

CeX are a gaming and technology retail chain. They already have shops in Ireland.

Holding interviews in the GBC? Doesn't sound like a very professional place to have interviews. And can get a bit busy at times

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

De tang has closed down. I think it will be reopening as chi very soon though. Same owners but slightly different menu. Personally I prefered da tangs menu

This was in the City Tribune.
    Da Tang are closing after many years as the owner has decided to pursue his lifelong dream of being an artist! Best of luck to him!

As per their facebook...
    DEAR DA TANG FRIENDS........da tang noodle house will close on the 2nd of November........our chef/owner Han Tuo is tired making noodles and dumplings.......17 years is a long time........ he is going home to rest and then continue with his art work......

Da Tang's Sister Business CHI will be open in Middle street and continue to serve yummy Pan Asian food....opens on the 20th of November.........

aw wrote: »
    This was in the City Tribune.
    Da Tang are closing after many years as the owner has decided to pursue his lifelong dream of being an artist! Best of luck to him!

As per their facebook...

That paper has come in my door the last few weeks and I still haven't read a copy of it.

Holding interviews in the GBC? Doesn't sound like a very professional place to have interviews. And can get a bit busy at times

That's what I thought too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Are these open interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Who gives a sh1te? Jobs are jobs! I'm conducting interviews in the College Bar this week, don't think the candidates give a hoolies... I certainly don't

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Who gives a sh1te? Jobs are jobs! I'm conducting interviews in the College Bar this week, don't think the candidates give a hoolies... I certainly don't

Are you opening a retail store that is part of an international chain?
    or a small company probably with some ties to the college?

If I were a manager in the gbc i wouldnt be impressed with someone taking up seating all day to start their business while affecting mine. Will your interviewees be from the college? Probably be there or nearby anyway. Will the people going to these interviews be giving any custom to the GBC? I doubt it

Are you opening a retail store that is part of an international chain?
    or a small company probably with some ties to the college?

If I were a manager in the gbc i wouldnt be impressed with someone taking up seating all day to start their business while affecting mine. Will your interviewees be from the college? Probably be there or nearby anyway. Will the people going to these interviews be giving any custom to the GBC? I doubt it

I can only take an educated guess that there is an arrangement with the GBC to allow permission. No one in their right mind would think of doing so otherwise, as they'd be chucked out pretty quick. Who knows, the interviewing company may even have sandwiches/tea etc. set-up for the candidates that is obviously being paid for and GBC are happy that seats are being taken up as it's guaranteed revenue.

As for my business; it's none of yours. Why I said what I said was in relation to making an example re. noise pollution affecting the interview, not for you to stick your nose into

From GMIT Student Union Facebook page:

GMIT Students' Union
    Education · 7,355 Likes
    CeX is opening a store in Galway in the comings weeks and have teamed up with us here in the Students' Union.
    There will be interviews being held between 10am & 5pm Thursday 7th November in GBC cafe & restaurant on Williamsgate street.
    Looking for peeps with gaming & technology interests and a desire to work in retail.
    People interested can come with CVs on the day for open interviews! 10 STAFF REQUIRED!! #‎SUJobFairy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I can only take an educated guess that there is an arrangement with the GBC to allow permission. No one in their right mind would think of doing so otherwise, as they'd be chucked out pretty quick. Who knows, the interviewing company may even have sandwiches/tea etc. set-up for the candidates that is obviously being paid for and GBC are happy that seats are being taken up as it's guaranteed revenue.

As for my business; it's none of yours. Why I said what I said was in relation to making an example re. noise pollution affecting the interview, not for you to stick your nose into

And I made an educated guess that your business had a connection to the college so your choice of place to interview made sense for you. I don't think the GBC makes sense for a retail business opening in the city.
    If they are advertising through gmit su surely a venue neat gmit would make more sense

And I made an educated guess that your business had a connection to the college so your choice of place to interview made sense for you. I don't think the GBC makes sense for a retail business opening in the city.
    If they are advertising through gmit su surely a venue neat gmit would make more sense

'Cos it's not like centrally located, very near to where the shop will be, and with enough space (including upstairs) so that they can occupy a couple of tables all day and not cause problems. :rolleyes:

I've had a job interview for a multi-national in Galway in the Merryck. Overseas, I've had interviews in all sorts of places, including cafes. Didn't think twice about it, and certainly didn't make me think any less of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I've also had job interviews in hotels, and seen some conducted in cafes. Sometimes it does seem a bit cagey (like they're trying to hire someone without someone else's knowledge). Other times, like with a place that has no premises yet, it seems normal enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 galwayguy2005

ciano1 wrote: »
    That 'Chip Inn' place on the headford road/woodquay is back open

best deals in galway but havent tried it yet

• Advertisement

best deals in galway but havent tried it yet

I feel like sh1te so tempted to head down.... for scientific research

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement