Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

This thread drives me mad. People who know people who are opening shops get told off for not having links. People who post without links are sometimes let off and people who back up remarks with links get infractions.

Can a mod please confirm what exactly is ok and what's not ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What we want is for people to post about new openings and long term closings.
    What we don't want is to help spread a rumour about a shop that was just closed for refurb or something else.

"I heard down the pub the Big Company is closing, too bad they were a good company" is not ok (and even if it is it will be in the papers before long).
    Same for "Taco Bell are thinking of opening franchises in Galway, so I heard I did".

If someone walks past a shop and sees a sign saying "closed forever" they can post about it but just walking past a shop and the light are off doesn't mean the shop is in liquidation.

Generally, discuss posted news links or first hand info (what you yourself saw).
    Not every single scenario can be covered so it's sometimes a judgement call.
    Hope that all makes sense.

And note that mods don't always read every post in a thread so if you want mod attention you should either PM or report a post.

biko wrote: »
    What we want is for people to post about new openings and long term closings.
    What we don't want is to help spread a rumour about a shop that was just closed for refurb or something else.

"I heard down the pub the Big Company is closing, too bad they were a good company" is not ok (and even if it is it will be in the papers before long).
    Same for "Taco Bell are thinking of opening franchises in Galway, so I heard I did".

If someone walks past a shop and sees a sign saying "closed forever" they can post about it but just walking past a shop and the light are off doesn't mean the shop is in liquidation.

Generally, discuss posted news links or first hand info (what you yourself saw).
    Not every single scenario can be covered so it's sometimes a judgement call.
    Hope that all makes sense.

And note that mods don't always read every post in a thread so if you want mod attention you should either PM or report a post.

fair enough I just wanted to know what the story is as the post about Ladbrokes without a link seems to be a rumour and since a post replying to it got a yellow card I just often find it impossible to know if I can post things here or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sound, if you think a post should be actioned or just have a question about it, feel free to report it.
    All forum mods will get a notification and decide if it should be actioned or not.

As for the rumour above, name is removed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

A little shop in Lower Salthill looks like it's getting ready to reopen. There's been a To Let sign attached to Kellehan's / Devon Stores for the last few years. But it looks like it is about to be occupied.

It's midway between The Warwick and The Cottage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭thesandeman

D Trent wrote: »
    <snip> has applied for planning permission to <snip>

Mod note: this is a rumour until the poster has found a proper source.

Brilliant! It's about time we had a proper Vasectomy Clinic in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Taco Bell are thinking of opening franchises in Galway, so I heard I did

Taco Bell are coming to Galway? Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

As for the rumour above, name is removed now.

You should reinstate it as PP applications are public record.

http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=13257
    Applicant Name: Ladbrokes (Irl) Ltd.
    Permission for proposed Change of Use of an existing Retail Unit (Class 1) to a Licensed Betting Office Unit (Class 2) to include for all associated internal alterations and associated signage together with a new South facing satellite dish and all associated site development works at
    Unit 29/30, Galway Shopping Centre, Headford Rd., Galway

antoobrien wrote: »
    You should reinstate it as PP applications are public record.

http://gis.galwaycity.ie/planenqlite/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=26a-13257&FromList=true

well the rest of his post was a rumour as well.

well the rest of his post was a rumour as well.

Ladbrokes have applied for change of use, so the existing retail can not remain if the permission is granted. Sounds pretty factual.

I guess we'll find out in three weeks if Ladbrokes will get to take over.

• Advertisement

Ladbrokes have applied for change of use, so the existing retail can not remain if the permission is granted. Sounds pretty factual.

I guess we'll find out in three weeks if Ladbrokes will get to take over.

where in that application does it state the current tenent is unhappy with the situation or is closing down. its all a rumour until its confirmed and a little unfair on the current lease owner who's business may be affected by the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FWIW, I was (one of several, perhaps) had a problem with the "nasty X are kicking out Y" connotations in the post that has been snipped. So I reported it and the mods here did their stuff.

Saying "X has applied for planning to open in the site where Y currently is" is quite different to "X is kicking Y out":
    They may be testing the water to see if planning would be given
    Y may be moving to a better place (or just one with cheaper rent
    Possibly the landlord is putting the rent up: it's hardly X's fault if Y doesn't want to pay.

FWIW, I was (one of several, perhaps) had a problem with the "nasty X are kicking out Y" connotations in the post that has been snipped. So I reported it and the mods here did their stuff.

Saying "X has applied for planning to open in the site where Y currently is" is quite different to "X is kicking Y out":

Not really, the request for change of use planning permission (from class 1 retail to class 2, whatever the hell that means) shows definite intent to make an alternative use of the site that the business of the current tenant is incompatible with.

If, as seems to have been suggested the tenant is unhappy with that, then "kicking them out" is a pretty accurate description of the situation.

where in that application does it state the current tenent is unhappy with the situation or is closing down.

Well the closing down bit would be the change in use that would prevent the current business from selling. As for the tenant being happy, with all due disrespect that has very little to do with the planning application. the tenant does have the option to object (before the close of business today I think), so that is where their opinion will be noted, not in the initial application.
    its all a rumour until its confirmed and a little unfair on the current lease owner who's business may be affected by the post.

Considering that planning applications are required to published in newspapers before the application is made and have the details of the application at the site in question (i.e. the shop), it's hardly unfair to point out that there is a planning application that has been submitted, which could result in the shop being closed.

And if the customers of said shop are unhappy about the situation and didn't know about it (despite the requirement for a sign at the shop), they now have a chance to object to it which they would not have had before the DTrent did us a public service and stated that there was a PP application in.

And if said

Let's not turn this thread into another bitchfest which gets closed down.

I was guilty of posting rumours here but I now abstain after a deserved slap on the wrist. Speculation is what it is.

Move back on topic before the padlock appears.

Well the closing down bit would be the change in use that would prevent the current business from selling. As for the tenant being happy, with all due disrespect that has very little to do with the planning application. the tenant does have the option to object (before the close of business today I think), so that is where their opinion will be noted, not in the initial application.

Considering that planning applications are required to published in newspapers before the application is made and have the details of the application at the site in question (i.e. the shop), it's hardly unfair to point out that there is a planning application that has been submitted, which could result in the shop being closed.

And if the customers of said shop are unhappy about the situation and didn't know about it (despite the requirement for a sign at the shop), they now have a chance to object to it which they would not have had before the DTrent did us a public service and stated that there was a PP application in.

And if said

there are planning permission given for hundreds if houses around the town but a lot of them don't get built. Planning permission application is not confirmation that a business is opening and A Planning permission application does not mean the current lease holder is closing down his business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

http://galwayindependent.com/20130908/news/new-bookies-planned-S24037.html

I have found this thread to be ridiculous of late, its actually a joke all this nit picking and this will be my final participation.
    What I will say is it will become noticeably quieter now without my contribution of information regarding new businesses opening & existing ones closing etc and maybe that's what some of you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

New clothes shop 'Style Kloset' has opened in Westside Business Park, haven't been yet but hope it goes well for them.

there are planning permission given for hundreds if houses around the town but a lot of them don't get built.

Pretty much irrelevant, the landlord (Ladbrokes) wants the current business out so they can use it for their own ends. Stating that is not putting the current in danger, any more than the article in the paper stating that it may happen.
    Planning permission application is not confirmation that a business is opening and A Planning permission application does not mean the current lease holder is closing down his business.

There is proven intent to open a business, as evidenced by the application to change the use of the building. What that means for the leaseholders business is pretty much irrelevant to the thread (it does say opening/closing).

Now consider this: if they can get somewhere with a lower lease it may even be a boon to the business as their cost base will reduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

There's an amazing new Asian shop open across from Sally longs! Delighted !! It's huge :)

• Advertisement

Now consider this: if they can get somewhere with a lower lease it may even be a boon to the business as their cost base will reduce.

That's the whole point the business may not be closing.

That's the whole point the business may not be closing.

But there is also a new business that wants to open.

But there is also a new business that wants to open.

rumoured to be opening

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 TimWigan

New paint & wallpaper shop in eastside gate

rumoured to be opening

So press releases & PP applications are rumours now, what a laugh.

Explain this then:

Ladbrokes has applied for permission to open a betting office at the Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road.

The bookmaker is seeking permission for proposed change of use of an existing retail unit at the shopping centre to a licensed betting office unit, including all associated internal alterations and associated signage together with a new south facing satellite dish and all associated site development works at Unit 29/30 in the Galway Shopping Centre, currently occupied by William’s Motor Warehouse.

Link: http://galwayindependent.com/20130908/news/new-bookies-planned-S24037.html

ArtyC wrote: »
    There's an amazing new Asian shop open across from Sally longs! Delighted !! It's huge :)

I love spicy food but have never been to an Asian food shop. What do you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Paddyfield wrote: »
    I love spicy food but have never been to an Asian food shop. What do you recommend?

Its been there since the beginning of summer has it not? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So press releases & PP applications are rumours now, what a laugh.

Explain this then:

Link: http://galwayindependent.com/20130908/news/new-bookies-planned-S24037.html

No.

A planning application is just that. The fact is that planning has been applied for. The specualtion based on it is that a new business is definitely opening..

Just because someone has asked for planning does not mean that:

a) planning will be granted, or
    b) they will agree and sign a lease.

Sure, some businesses may have a lease-condiional-on-planning, but I'll bet that lots don't too.

A while back, I thought about starting a thread called "New planning applications" for discussing interesting ones - because I saw an app to replace the houses on Middle St wehre the short-lived Social Space was. Never quite got around to it ... maybe someone else should.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Asia/Manila Store on Abbeygate St has crossed the road and taken over the former Olio and Farina shop unit. Fresh meat counter there too now.
    ArtyC wrote: »
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    Its been there since the beginning of summer has it not? :P

Ahem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Paddyfield wrote: »

Mostly noodles, rice, hot sauce and sushi making stuff... Just try different stuff. There was a good thread about Asian markets in the cooking and recipes forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement