Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I had the interview for my latest job (proper official career type of shebang) sitting at the bar in the Huntsman. Boss (now) bought me a pint; it was savage!

Looking forward to CeX moving in. Gamestop have a gaming market strangehold for too long... <raises fist to the sky>

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Paddyfield wrote: »
    A little shop in Lower Salthill looks like it's getting ready to reopen. There's been a To Let sign attached to Kellehan's / Devon Stores for the last few years. But it looks like it is about to be occupied.

It's midway between The Warwick and The Cottage.

They're still working on it, but there's a sign outside saying that a new fish shop will be opening there soon. It might be Galway Bay Seafoods (I was driving by and I couldn't be sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Work also seems to be going on in the shop at Cooke's Corner (used to be Cahill's shop).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The also seem to have started site works on the new discount supermarket on the doughiska road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The shop on the corner of the Ballybane shopping centre (near SuperValu) has changed again, it's now a clothing shop called Allure. Seems to have better kit in than its predecessor, another clothing shop. Formerly it was a newsagent, and before that a greengrocer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

A unit near aib bank on tuam road is being fitted out and has a big sign saying electronic store opening soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

3 new shops opened this week in Corbett Court centre.

Sweet Dreams (sweet shop that used to be down Bridge Street)

Christmas shop selling decorations, lights, cards etc oh and Christmas jumpers!

A shop selling tablets/laptops and they also do repairs (don't know the name, downstairs beside the Christmas shop)

Nice to see all of the empty units being used, even if it is only temporary for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

magentas wrote: »

A shop selling tablets/laptops and they also do repairs (don't know the name, downstairs beside the Christmas shop)

Nice to see all of the empty units being used, even if it is only temporary for some.

Click, third different unit theyve occupied in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Think thats a seasonal thing. They seem to open at xmas in the shopping centre since closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Click, third different unit theyve occupied in there.

Nope, Click are in the Eyre Square centre. The one in Corbett Court is called Tablet Store and they're new to Galway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nope, Click are in the Eyre Square centre. The one in Corbett Court is called Tablet Store and it's they're new to Galway :)

Weird, as Click also moved in the last cupla weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Tesco Express will be opening in Salthill beside Seapoint. They will take over the O'Leary's supermarket who have just got permission to redevelop the building. I don't have a link but the current owner of the supermarket told me today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Tesco Express will be opening in Salthill beside Seapoint. They will take over the O'Leary's supermarket who have just got permission to redevelop the building. I don't have a link but the current owner of the supermarket told me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭buzz11

New dry cleaner shop open in Bohermore (where sports direct used to be) opposite "Bens Stores"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Homestore & More have leased a unit in Wellpark Retail Park, to open sometime next spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Homestore and more have leased a unit in Wellpark Retail Park, to open sometime next spring

This has been posted already
    D Trent wrote: »
    Homestrore and more is going in where the toy store used to be in wellpark, between Woodies and PC world

According to this 'in a few weeks'
    http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1411-triple-vote-of-confidence-in-galway-s-retail-sector
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

D Trent wrote: »
    This has been posted already:)

Bit of an update from "a few weeks"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

A little shop in Lower Salthill looks like it's getting ready to reopen. There's been a To Let sign attached to Kellehan's / Devon Stores for the last few years. But it looks like it is about to be occupied.
    Eeden wrote: »
    They're still working on it, but there's a sign outside saying that a new fish shop will be opening there soon. It might be Galway Bay Seafoods (I was driving by and I couldn't be sure).

That was Kenehan's quite a few years ago.

Galway Bay Seafoods are moving in. Chilled display unit installed, and finishing touches being put to plastering, wiring etc. I don't know what the expected opening date is, but it's a real asset to the area.

Gerry Loughnane a few metres down the road has the finest lamb, and now here comes the fine fish. GBS's prawns from Rossaveal -- frozen or fresh according to season -- are particularly good imo.

A new Apache pizza is opening where Sahi Palace used to be in Terryland.
    Sahi Palace has moved and only offers deliveries now.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

More of a reconfiguring, but according to Galway Bay FM Arch are closing the car sales section of their business.

Westy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

westgolf wrote: »
    More of a reconfiguring, but according to Galway Bay FM Arch are closing the car sales section of their business.

Westy
    Arch motors garage and Car sales are gone with the loss of 12 jobs, petrol station to remain open, very sad for the staff , closed last Friday

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Arch motors garage and Car sales are gone with the loss of 12 jobs, petrol station to remain open, very sad for the staff , closed last Friday

Thanks storm 10, I misheard the report on the radio evidently. As you say its very sad for the staff, especially at this time of year. approx 40 year old business

westy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Born are opening up a new shop beside Paco/opposite to Debenhams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Storm 10 wrote: »
    While I am very sorry for the staff, I have absolutely no time for any garage that sells clocked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

In fairness if you read the article it does say the following:

"The consumer agency did not find Arch Motors were actually clocking the cars."

From this I read it as Arch motors sold the clocked cars but were not found responsible for actually carrying out the clocking. I'd imagine a lot of dealers suffer the same by selling cars they cannot completely stand over but I may be wrong?

Also they are open this weekend with an everything must go sale till Sunday.

serfboard wrote: »
    While I am very sorry for the staff, I have absolutely no time for any garage that sells clocked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

From this I read it as Arch motors sold the clocked cars but were not found responsible for actually carrying out the clocking. I'd imagine a lot of dealers suffer the same by selling cars they cannot completely stand over but I may be wrong?
    Arch Motors didn't clock the cars themselves but they either looked the other way or failed to check.

Any garage could unknowingly sell a clocked car, but how come all garages aren't being charged?

If they were totally innocent why did they agree to compensate buyers?

To quote the head of the National Consumer Agency:
    They cannot mislead consumers by selling them clocked cars and expect to get away with it.

serfboard wrote: »

5 year old story, nuff said

Westy

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Martin Divilly’s butchers is 'coming soon' go the unit next to the newsagent at dunnes on the headford road.

apache pizza seems to be now opened on the headford road where sahi was. plenty of chairs and tables inside!

speaking of sahi palace, i ordered from them the other day, they only do takeaways now, but it took 1 hour and 25 mins. ive no idea where there cooking food now! wont order again. yes biko, i did complain to management and to 'whats for dinner' who i ordered from

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 galwayguy2005

swiftman wrote: »
    Martin Divilly’s butchers is 'coming soon' go the unit next to the newsagent at dunnes on the headford road.

apache pizza seems to be now opened on the headford road where sahi was. plenty of chairs and tables inside!

speaking of sahi palace, i ordered from them the other day, they only do takeaways now, but it took 1 hour and 25 mins. ive no idea where there cooking food now! wont order again. yes biko, i did complain to management and to 'whats for dinner' who i ordered from

They have a kitchen in the back of where apache is & there just operating out of a side door by mr price. There fairly slow at doing deliverys as i think there workin on minimum staff 2 staff. 1 of them doing deliverys and 1 cooking & doing phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

The only garage that I heard of clocking cars was <hearsay removed>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement