Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Paddyfield wrote: »
    The owner of the premises, Dermot Ryan, told me but he didn't tell me the name of the shop but he told me the type of shop it is.

Well what type of shop is it gonna be Paddyfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Spoted last weekend, a new antique shop on francis st beside oconnors cafe, and a new sex shop on upper abbeygate st just up from sally longs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Asia/Manila Store on Abbeygate St has crossed the road and taken over the former Olio and Farina shop unit. Fresh meat counter there too now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Spoted last weekend, a new antique shop on francis st beside oconnors cafe, and a new sex shop on upper abbeygate st just up from sally longs.
    A new sex shop :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

snubbleste wrote: »
    A new sex shop :eek:

Its needed. What else is there to do for people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Its needed. What else is there to do for people.
    dunno, be comfortable in their old sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There's a new charity shop being fitted out in St Augustine Street, near the Abbeygate St end, between an estate agent and a family planning place, for COPE. I think it used to be a clothes retailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Help Stock Our New Shop and Support COPE Galway

COPE Galway are excited to announce that we will be opening a shop at Lismoyle House, St. Augustine Street in October.

Help Stock Our Shop and fund our work in the area of homelessness, domestic violence and older people.
    Do you have any surplus, good quality Clothes, Accessories, Jewellery, Bric-a-Brak, Paperback Books or CDs?

Your donations fund our work with some of the most vulnerable and isolated people and families in Galway and provide them with a helping hand, a place to listen and vital support.

HOW TO DONATE your unwanted goods:

Drop at the shop at St. Augustine Street between 2pm and 6pm Monday to Friday

Drop at our offices at Calbro House, Tuam Road between 8:30am and 5:30pm Monday to Friday

Contact us for free collection at your home or workplace

It's great they have so many options to donate... the free collection service in particular will be handy.

Homestore and more is going in where Toy store was in Wellpark, between Woodies and PC World

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wowee

Just passed Cookes there and it was closed up. It would be very unusual for it to be closed on a Friday evening. Anybody know if its closed for good or not? Would be an awful pity if it had to close down. Sign of the times I know but it always had a nice crowd in it and the guy and his wife who ran it were very nice people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

What the actual ****, are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

<read post 1 about spreading rumours>

Oh I didn't know that. Was only in it a couple of times and was just surprised to see it closed. I would have been in it for a couple of drinks on a Friday evening early around five and that was it. No undesirables at that stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Well a friend of mine who tried to rent it was told its gone so im guessing It will be open soon enough under new management.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I think it's been closed for at least a week now (not sure). I was very surprised to hear it as well, but don't know the story behind this.

Yeah, just seems like a very sudden closure so especially with Arthur's Day coming up. Surely it would have been a chance to make some money if they had known they were going to close soon after? Strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Re Cookes: I heard it was closed 2-3 weeks ago, didn't post here because neither Mr O'B or I had seen it for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed, hence we kept it outside this thread for a bit. Several peeps have confirmed it's not open so added to main thread. We'll see if it's opening again and under who. If anyone has any news links that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sallybongers

D Trent wrote: »
    Homestore and more is going in where Toy store was in Wellpark, between Woodies and PC World

Any idea when exactly it will be opening... I've a few things I want to get there! Hope it's soon, would save me some petrol money :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sallybongers

Cheers :) saw a really nice bench on their website. It's on sale, so I'd probably be better off getting it now rather than waiting for the Galway store to open! No doubt I'll end up spending some money at the Galway one at some point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

wowee wrote: »
    Just passed Cookes there and it was closed up. It would be very unusual for it to be closed on a Friday evening. Anybody know if its closed for good or not? Would be an awful pity if it had to close down. Sign of the times I know but it always had a nice crowd in it and the guy and his wife who ran it were very nice people.

been closed for the last two to three weeks. Would have posted at the time but got banned from biko before for not providing links with posts so unfortunately the news is now out of date.

Cheers :) saw a really nice bench on their website. It's on sale, so I'd probably be better off getting it now rather than waiting for the Galway store to open! No doubt I'll end up spending some money at the Galway one at some point :D
    I Pm'd their facebook page to ask them and they replied today saying they hope to open in the new year, so I suggest you get the train to Dublin and Limerick and treat yourself to that bench:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Anyone know what's going on at fujifilm shop on shop st?

They have moved to Corbett court in eyre sq shopping centre opposite Shake milkshake bar and beside Timpson locksmith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

What's going into gujifilm tho. Doing work on it recently

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Malena72

Also work going on today in the unit beside Barratt's shoe shop in Eyre Square centre...

<snip> has applied for planning permission to <snip>

Mod note: this is a rumour until the poster has found a proper source.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Do <smip> already own it or have the master lease on that unit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

It'll be interesting to see if the *person* that objected to paddypower applying for a unit in the Trappers Inn on moral grounds will object to this one too.

Edit: for the benefit of those who have not heard of the frivolous nature of the objection (including the mod):
    A fourth appellant, Liam Madden of Vitruvius Hibernicus Limited, Convent Road, Longford has also objected to the development on moral grounds
    In a submission to city planners, Mr Madden said the planning enactments in the State are intended to “reflect the prevailing moral and cultural climate” and that gambling is considered a mortal sin in Islam, which he said is the fastest growing religion in the State.

He also suggested that gambling should not only be discouraged, but forbidden in Ireland, and that there is “no public merit whatsoever” to the proposal to develop the betting office at the Trapper’s Inn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement