Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather v Canelo Alvarez September 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

strobe wrote: »
    Lads, how do we watch this? Is it ppv on sky or whats the craic?

It's on Boxnation, sir.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Shorc

Feeling sick right now, rang my hotel
    In liverpool that weekend, they don't have boxnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

Gorman700 wrote: »
    So what?

It tells me he's a grounded down to earth guy. That is the kind of sportsman I like, no frills, real guy. I think your mistaken to think that Floyd will drop the flash when he retires. He'll still be at it, just won't be televised. He'll be broke by 50. Even 50 cent says he goes almost broke between fights! And he used to be his best mate!

I'm not hating on Mayweather as a boxer by the way, just as a man. He's everything I dislike but in the ring he is something we'll likely never see again!
    I don't think he will drop the flash stuff, nor do I think he should. I doubt he will be broke either- a lot of his money is invested into tmt stuff. He is at least always planned long term income post retirement.

Post fight Floyd is not a bad guy, he calms down all his ott behaviour and is respectful to everyone (from what I have seen). That is what I expect to see when he retires.

We will see.

Like it or not he draws people in and makes it an event.i respect Cotto but if he fought an unknown fighter he would struggle to sell out the arena, Floyd would still make PPV. I don't think they are miles apart in terms of talent and yet Floyd is known as an all time great and a master of the ring.

I respect Cotto more but as a show (especially build up and hype etc) he is not as interesting.

Mayweather is in a good position because he fights in Vegas, lives in Vegas, spends his money in Vegas and is reinforcing the idea that Vegas = Money. He speaks about his Hugh gambles all the time and he is the perfect Vegas promoter- his flashy image is perfect for this. That is invaluable to the city and the boxing commission in Nevada which ensures that barring a knockout, he will remain undefeated.

I don't mind people disliking him but to question his intelligence as some here have is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

fsfg wrote: »
    I don't think he will drop the flash stuff, nor do I think he should. I doubt he will be broke either- a lot of his money is invested into tmt stuff. He is at least always planned long term income post retirement.

Post fight Floyd is not a bad guy, he calms down all his ott behaviour and is respectful to everyone (from what I have seen). That is what I expect to see when he retires.

We will see.

Like it or not he draws people in and makes it an event.i respect Cotto but if he fought an unknown fighter he would struggle to sell out the arena, Floyd would still make PPV. I don't think they are miles apart in terms of talent and yet Floyd is known as an all time great and a master of the ring.

I respect Cotto more but as a show (especially build up and hype etc) he is not as interesting.

Mayweather is in a good position because he fights in Vegas, lives in Vegas, spends his money in Vegas and is reinforcing the idea that Vegas = Money. He speaks about his Hugh gambles all the time and he is the perfect Vegas promoter- his flashy image is perfect for this. That is invaluable to the city and the boxing commission in Nevada which ensures that barring a knockout, he will remain undefeated.

I don't mind people disliking him but to question his intelligence as some here have is crazy.

Not sure people are questioning that, more so point out that he is generally not a very nice person. Being a racist and a woman beater will generally open yourself up to endless abuse, deservedly so as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

fsfg wrote: »

Good read this: If all these hangers on have their way then PBF could well see a serious depletion.

123 million in his ONE bank account!

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9630673/floyd-mayweather-last-great-prizefighter-espn-magazine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Mayweather will end up broke, and then probably earn some money back from TV appearances etc and live the rest of his life in and out of financial security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Mayweather will end up broke, and then probably earn some money back from TV appearances etc and live the rest of his life in and out of financial security

I don't think he will. But he needs to kop on. He talks about the hangers on as family. When in reality they are there for an easy ride. He had so much money and with his promotion company he will make more. Although most of his fighters aren't in the ppv league. Watching him Flash his money around is funny as he comes across as a massive dick head. I don't think he realises what he looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

I don't think he will. But he needs to kop on. He talks about the hangers on as family. When in reality they are there for an easy ride. He had so much money and with his promotion company he will make more. Although most of his fighters aren't in the ppv league. Watching him Flash his money around is funny as he comes across as a massive dick head. I don't think he realises what he looks like.

He's just a big kid who seeks validation and wants to be loved, wants the affection he never got from his parents. He also boxes quite well

walshb wrote: »
    Good read this: If all these hangers on have their way then PBF could well see a serious depletion.

123 million in his ONE bank account!

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9630673/floyd-mayweather-last-great-prizefighter-espn-magazine

That's one of the best pieces I've read in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

el flaco wrote: »
    That's one of the best pieces I've read in a while.

I enjoyed it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

walshb wrote: »
    I enjoyed it too!

Other than unveiling to the nearest million how much money Floyd Mayweather has in his bank account it didn't really tell us anything new.
    However the way the piece was written did indeed make it a captivating read, I'll have to keep an eye out for Tim Keown's boxing pieces in future !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The guy is making a guaranteed purse of 41.5 Million that is astonishing, meaning with the buys on top probably above 2 million he will earn around 60 or 65 million, amazing money making machine, i'm actually surprised he doesn't have more then 123 million, i mean he has been making 30 or 40 million since Oscar and with the Canelo fight that will be 8 fights where say he earned 40 million a fight, he should have at least 300 million then surely and tbh for the last 2 or 3 its most likely been closer to 50 million a fight. Anyone know how much Canelo is guaranteed i would guess about 15 million and he will probably get about 20 or maybe 25 for the fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

The guy is making a guaranteed purse of 41.5 Million that is astonishing, meaning with the buys on top probably above 2 million he will earn around 60 or 65 million, amazing money making machine, i'm actually surprised he doesn't have more then 123 million, i mean he has been making 30 or 40 million since Oscar and with the Canelo fight that will be 8 fights where say he earned 40 million a fight, he should have at least 300 million then surely and tbh for the last 2 or 3 its most likely been closer to 50 million a fight. Anyone know how much Canelo is guaranteed i would guess about 15 million and he will probably get about 20 or maybe 25 for the fight

I could be wrong but my understanding of the article is that Floyd was showing his bank balance as being 123m and then he followed up by saying that was just one account. Meaning he has other millions in other bank accounts. Thanks for the link walshb. Very interesting read and it goes to show what a crazy life he leads.

Of course a lot of Mayweather's money will also be tied up in a lot of assets - property, jewellery, cars etc. So his net worth is probably considerably more than that bank balance.

Reports are that Canelo is earning more than $10m.
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9635925/floyd-mayweather-jr-guaranteed-415m-purse-saul-alvarez-bout

As an aside, Dan Rafael mentioned that the referee (Kenny Bayless) will make $10k for this fight and the judges will receive $8k each.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Boxing is dead.

HA!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Bayless is only getting 10k i mean i knew referees dont get much but i honestly thought for such a mega fight he would get like 50k and the judges about 25k delighted Bayless is the ref the best ref around in my view great call to have him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

How are the ref and judges selected for a fight like this does anyone know?

Aboit the boxnation thing... What's the deal there? I'd planned on heading over to my brother's place to watch the fight. He has Sky digital, will he have Boxnation as default? Will I have to get him to order the station? Can you just order it for the one month so we get this fight or is it like a 6 month pr one year cobtract or whats the jazz?
    Couldn't find it on their site....

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gonzales177

strobe wrote: »
    How are the ref and judges selected for a fight like this does anyone know?

Aboit the boxnation thing... What's the deal there? I'd planned on heading over to my brother's place to watch the fight. He has Sky digital, will he have Boxnation as default? Will I have to get him to order the station? Can you just order it for the one month so we get this fight or is it like a 6 month pr one year cobtract or whats the jazz?
    Couldn't find it on their site....

Thanks.

You will have to set up a subscription with boxnation through pay wizard. It's straight forward enough. It costs €12.50 to register and €12.50 for the first month. You can cancel your subscription through pay wizard then. So 25 euro in total unless you can find a promotional code or something and register for free.

Go to boxnation.com, it's explained there if in any doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

I've got a feeling this will be an absolute barn-stormer of a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

Bayless is only getting 10k i mean i knew referees dont get much but i honestly thought for such a mega fight he would get like 50k and the judges about 25k delighted Bayless is the ref the best ref around in my view great call to have him

Genuinely shocked to see that! 10k is pathetic for such an event.

Kenny has been the best ref since Mills Lane, never rated that idiot Cortez, he tried to become his own kind of celebrity with his rubbish "I'm firm, but I'm fair". Bayless is probably the best I've seen really, he lets a fight evolve and flow, he also makes good decisions and I've never seen him be questioned.

Would love to see some of the British refs get a run in Vegas, Howard Foster and Victor Loughnan(?) are excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

Hi has anybody on here managed to subscribe successfully to boxnations website for the 7 day pass? think its priced at 14.99 euro which is good enough value for the 14th of sept card...

Im just finding it rather difficult to navigate their website tbh , has anybody managed to do it so far? cant subscribe via tv provider(upc)...

edit:
    found this in there Q&A section:

"Is BoxNation available online?
    Yes, you can subscribe to watch BoxNation online now if you're based in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
    You can either pay £10 per month for full access (minimum three months + £10 signing on fee for new customers only), or get seven-day access for just £15."

cant find the online sub now at all(15) could swear it was there a few days ago...

Senor Frog wrote: »
    Hi has anybody on here managed to subscribe successfully to boxnations website for the 7 day pass? think its priced at 14.99 euro which is good enough value for the 14th of sept card...

Im just finding it rather difficult to navigate their website tbh , has anybody managed to do it so far? cant subscribe via tv provider(upc)...

edit:

Yes, you can subscribe to watch BoxNation online now if you're based in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
    You can either pay £10 per month for full access (minimum three months + £10 signing on fee for new customers only), or get seven-day access for just £15."

cant find the online sub now at all(15) could swear it was there a few days ago...

If you click the 'watch online' link at the top of the site it will bring you to the livesport.tv site where you can sign up. I think you can use the likes of PayPal which is a lot handier than having to set up a pay wizard account.

Senor Frog wrote: »

edit:

The seven day access couldn't include the mayweather fight. Could it?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

el flaco wrote: »
    If you click the 'watch online' link at the top of the site it will bring you to the livesport.tv site where you can sign up. I think you can use the likes of PayPal which is a lot handier than having to set up a pay wizard account.

when i do that the form comes up alright, but it says there are currently no subscription options available! I'm sure this wasn't the case as little as three days ago , when I last checked. I was waiting for the mayweather fight to be within the seven day window and then planned on subscribing. Doesn't look like that is possible now though.

Does anyone think the weight will be difficult for Canelo? Mayweathers people claiming on all access that they only agreed on the weight because Canelos team said theyd go that low to get the fight. Thats bollox from them. I heard Canelos team claim six months ago that they could go to 154 at the lowest as Canelo is so big. Fukking excuses from mayweather to weight drain Canelo

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    I've got a feeling this will be an absolute barn-stormer of a fight.

And don't forget Danny Garcia v Lucas Matissee on the undercard. It will be quite a night. For a change im going to go to bed for a few hours at about 9pm and wake at 1 or 2 instead or trying and failing to last the whole night. Last thing I want is to fall asleep as the boxers in the main event are coming to the ring. Thats exactly what happened to me the night of Hatton v Mayweather. :pac:

ThunderCat wrote: »
    And don't forget Danny Garcia v Lucas Matissee on the undercard. It will be quite a night. For a change im going to go to bed for a few hours at about 9pm and wake at 1 or 2 instead or trying and failing to last the whole night. Last thing I want is to fall asleep as the boxers in the main event are coming to the ring. Thats exactly what happened to me the night of Hatton v Mayweather. :pac:

Ha, yes! That's my usual approach :pac: It works wonders.
    It's going to be more difficult this time though because Hughie Fury and Kid Galahad are on Channel 5 that night and I want to watch them. Plus this card is the boxing version of Christmas so it might be difficult to actually fall asleep! Skipping some of the undercard isn't even an option with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Has anyone tried to watch boxnation online?

From what I can see it says uk only on the q & a on the website

Anyone else see the third episode of access all areas last night? I've never seen a lifestyle like Floyds. It's crazy, it's seems at all times he has 20+ people with him. Obviously not fond of his own company and who can blame him. But his cars, shows of weath and women are incredible.
    On the other side of the coin it showed Canelo up in Big Bear Mountains going about his business. The two contrasting training camps reminded me a bit of Rocky 4.
    Can't wait for this now. I'm hoping Canelo does the business but I think Floyd will be too smart for Canelos brawn and will win on points.

• Advertisement

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Anyone else see the third episode of access all areas last night? I've never seen a lifestyle like Floyds. It's crazy, it's seems at all times he has 20+ people with him. Obviously not fond of his own company and who can blame him. But his cars, shows of weath and women are incredible.
    On the other side of the coin it showed Canelo up in Big Bear Mountains going about his business. The two contrasting training camps reminded me a bit of Rocky 4.
    Can't wait for this now. I'm hoping Canelo does the business but I think Floyd will be too smart for Canelos brawn and will win on points.

Very similar to Naseem v Barrera. Naseem living in a mansion while Barrera trained in a local gym. But floyd is so intelligent I think he knows when to turn it on. But I hope Canello beats him up badly.

Advertisement