Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather v Canelo Alvarez September 14th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

wadacrack wrote: »
    Mayweather has alot more personality than many other boxers.Its why hes so popular on facebook twitter etc

Does he really? He seems to be on auto pilot, same spiel every time.

He very rarely strings a coherent sentence together, all soundbites and catchphrases. Hes not someone you can imagine sitting down with and chatting to about boxing.

Supremely talented but not the most interesting of characters.

As for the "followers" on twitter and facebook and the like, never before have I seen anyone attract as many gobsh*tes (who usually think they are a member of his gang or the "money team") who know sweet f-all about boxing. Its amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Does he really? He seems to be on auto pilot, same spiel every time.

He very rarely strings a coherent sentence together, all soundbites and catchphrases. Hes not someone you can imagine sitting down with and chatting to about boxing.

Supremely talented but not the most interesting of characters.

As for the "followers" on twitter and facebook and the like, never before have I seen anyone attract as many gobsh*tes (who usually think they are a member of his gang or the "money team") who know sweet f-all about boxing. Its amazing stuff.
    True.But what boxers are interesting to listen to ! Alot of fans like the brash arrogant type of personality its what Mayweather plays on

True.But what boxers are interesting to listen to ! Alot of fans like the brash arrogant type of personality its what Mayweather plays on

there are many that are interesting to listen to. Some use the trash talk as a marketing tool but behind all of the guff theres actually quite intelligent and interesting characters.

Mayweather doesn't have this

He is a simply magnificent boxer though, its just an observation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

No reason why he'd be dehydrated in the pic at ball, I reckon he is ready to rock and just has water weight to cut now, This is pretty standard anyway-I'm interested to seeing him been a bit more mobile and quick, Personally I think he's always a bit to stocky and it slow's him down, the main thing for me is whether he keeps his power or not-The increase in speed might make up for the decrease in weight.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

cowzerp wrote: »
    No reason why he'd be dehydrated in the pic at ball, I reckon he is ready to rock and just has water weight to cut now, This is pretty standard anyway-I'm interested to seeing him been a bit more mobile and quick, Personally I think he's always a bit to stocky and it slow's him down, the main thing for me is whether he keeps his power or not-The increase in speed might make up for the decrease in weight.

Do you think he's at 167 lbs in the foto?

• Advertisement

Does that Rafael (little runt of an owl fella) from Floyd's camp bug the **** out of anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

That's the cutman. The little b****x acts like a real moneyteam homey & it doesn't really fit right.
    Thanks to Floyd's talent he's had feck all to do over the years. I can't remember Floyd ever getting cut??

boxer.fan wrote: »
    That's the cutman. The little b****x acts like a real moneyteam homey & it doesn't really fit right.
    Thanks to Floyd's talent he's had feck all to do over the years. I can't remember Floyd ever getting cut??

what the hell are you on about? :rolleyes:

as opposed to those real "moneyteam" homies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

A real moneyteam homey....lol that was good...oh mercy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Mayweather has alot more personality than many other boxers.Its why hes so popular on facebook twitter etc

I follow him on twitter. All the feck he tweets is '#themoneyteam' or one promoting his gear every few days. Hardly alot more personality than most boxers on twitter. At least other boxers say something on the feckin thing.
    And the amount of retweets he gets for just '#themoneyteam' is comical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

If people think mayweather has personality and charisma, they need a wake up!

The man is a broken record, hard work dedication bla bla.
    Rolex's every time he's on tv. All his cars are white. Trains late at night. He's a pain in the bollix is all he is.

Other boxers are waaaaaaay more interesting. Cotto for one, great family guy who displays none of the distasteful trappings (except for his monstrous article truck he spins about in) of his wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Tyson Fury is easily the most entertaining fighter out there today. Any man who stands up after a fight and starts singing cheesy songs by Ricky Van Shelton is A-OK by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Any link to the 24/7 episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

walshb wrote: »
    Do you think he's at 167 lbs in the foto?

he's within his water cutting zone, that could be 10-20lbs over the set weight.

pretty standard.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Goose81

Is this on boxnation or btsport because the all access show was on bt sport last night?

Doesnt make sense for them to show that and not the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Mayweather has very little charisma, his fans are the most cringworthy in all sports, TMT ect as if they are in floyds group lol, same with Broner neither have much charisma just the same crap over and over, fighters with real charisma, Fury, Paulie ect these are guys with actual charisma that you just want to watch, both are guys who can talk and not just the same stuff over and over, you can also tell both have a real knowledge of boxing and i would love to have a chat with them about the sport it isnt just useless trash talk and crap about money.

Mayweather has very little charisma, his fans are the most cringworthy in all sports, TMT ect as if they are in floyds group lol, same with Broner neither have much charisma just the same crap over and over, fighters with real charisma, Fury, Paulie ect these are guys with actual charisma that you just want to watch, both are guys who can talk and not just the same stuff over and over, you can also tell both have a real knowledge of boxing and i would love to have a chat with them about the sport it isnt just useless trash talk and crap about money.

In fairness, Mayweather would have a great knowledge of boxing but I just don't think he is in the slightest bit articulate about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

Gorman700 wrote: »
    If people think mayweather has personality and charisma, they need a wake up!

The man is a broken record, hard work dedication bla bla.
    Rolex's every time he's on tv. All his cars are white. Trains late at night. He's a pain in the bollix is all he is.

Other boxers are waaaaaaay more interesting. Cotto for one, great family guy who displays none of the distasteful trappings (except for his monstrous article truck he spins about in) of his wealth.

He knows what he is doing. He has placed himself in the ideal position where half the people love him and the other half hate him. The traits you are moaning about draws other people in but either way people are not indifferent.

It's all an act and it is working. I would imagine he will be a totally different character once retired for real

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

I'm also confused what you find Cotto more intriguing? He is a family man that doesn't show of his wealth- so what?

By the way Cotto may be my favourite fighter

• Advertisement

fsfg wrote: »
    I'm also confused what you find Cotto more intriguing? He is a family man that doesn't show of his wealth- so what?

By the way Cotto may be my favourite fighter

So what?

It tells me he's a grounded down to earth guy. That is the kind of sportsman I like, no frills, real guy. I think your mistaken to think that Floyd will drop the flash when he retires. He'll still be at it, just won't be televised. He'll be broke by 50. Even 50 cent says he goes almost broke between fights! And he used to be his best mate!

I'm not hating on Mayweather as a boxer by the way, just as a man. He's everything I dislike but in the ring he is something we'll likely never see again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭TheKingslayer

Floyd's mental aspect is unmatched,whatever mistake he makes once he does not make again.The man is like a computer in the ring he calculates everything and whatever you think you are having success with he takes away. Add in to that he is down right tough,when you actually hit him he is disgusted with himself and wants to punish you,there is no fighter alive that can defeat him,NONE!!!.Floyd is the best and even at 36 is too fast,too crafty and too smart.He works harder than any fighter and on top of that he studies you,he knows your style better than you know your own style.Nobody can not beat this man....HE IS BOXING AND DEFINES EVERYTHING IT STANDS FOR. Floyd is an impeccable piece of boxing artwork, based on skills, ring IQ, mental strength, work ethics and accomplishments. Why I love Floyd? he is flawless,impeccable and an artist..he reminds me of what i could have been,talent with no ceiling,dedication with no slack,100 percent given at all times.This man lets nothing stand in the way of what he loves and anyone who follows this damn sport HAS to respect that..THE SPORT COMES BEFORE ANYTHING AT ALL TIMES!!!!! That's why he does not lose.

Floyd's mental aspect is unmatched,whatever mistake he makes once he does not make again.The man is like a computer in the ring he calculates everything and whatever you think you are having success with he takes away. Add in to that he is down right tough,when you actually hit him he is disgusted with himself and wants to punish you,there is no fighter alive that can defeat him,NONE!!!.Floyd is the best and even at 36 is too fast,too crafty and too smart.He works harder than any fighter and on top of that he studies you,he knows your style better than you know your own style.Nobody can not beat this man....HE IS BOXING AND DEFINES EVERYTHING IT STANDS FOR. Floyd is an impeccable piece of boxing artwork, based on skills, ring IQ, mental strength, work ethics and accomplishments. Why I love Floyd? he is flawless,impeccable and an artist..he reminds me of what i could have been,talent with no ceiling,dedication with no slack,100 percent given at all times.This man lets nothing stand in the way of what he loves and anyone who follows this damn sport HAS to respect that..THE SPORT COMES BEFORE ANYTHING AT ALL TIMES!!!!! That's why he does not lose.

He is everything boxing stands for inside the ring! Outside he slaps women around the place and is the most annoying and distasteful man I've ever seen!

Then he steps in the ring and I forget all that ****!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

there is no fighter alive that can defeat him,NONE!!!.

Well that's not close to even being true !, Wladamir Klitschko likely banjos him in a round. But of course he does, he's the Heavyweight champion of the World and Floyd is a Welterweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

On Floyd:

I don't see what everyone's problem with this man is. He rightly earned every dollar he flashes. If you don't like him because of that, then don't watch his fights or any of his 24/7 or All Access episodes. At least don't complain when you do so. Its as simple as that.

I personally believe Floyd to be a good character. But then again, I can only base my opinion on what I've seen of his interviews etc. It is very easy to see how he turns on the "Money Mayweather" side when shooting All Access episodes, in contrast with a lot of his interviews in which he seems to be a very down to earth, kind person. In this sense he is a very intelligent guy who knows how to hype up a fight at the right times to generate the most income- WHICH IS WORKING, IS IT NOT? Do you people really think that Floyd doesn't realize that cameras are pointing in his face when shooting such episodes. Boxing is a business and he makes the most out of it.

At day's end, only Floyd himself knows who he really is, and judging him from whatever limited interviews, 24/7, All- Access episodes are available is pointless. Instead, at least in my opinion, one should focus on actual boxing side of things.

Nevertheless, Floyd is a top class fighter who gives us a lot of entertainment- which is exactly what one looks for in boxing. Am I wrong? Like he says himself, whether you like him or not, you still watch his fights. Its true.

I think a lot of people who dislike him are jealous. He's undefeated ( I believe Canelo has a serious shot, although I said the same about Guerrero), filthy rich and a good looking guy at that.

Instead of focusing on things which can be perceived to be negative e.g flashing his money and cars, why not take the positive out of his story: hard work pays off (not only in boxing but in any field of work).

I'll admit that this whole TMT ****e can be very cringey at times, but I try not to focus on that and take whatever positives I can from him, because whatever it is that he's doing, it seems to be working.

ozzz wrote: »
    On Floyd:

I don't see what everyone's problem with this man is. He rightly earned every dollar he flashes. If you don't like him because of that, then don't watch his fights or any of his 24/7 or All Access episodes. At least don't complain when you do so. Its as simple as that.

I personally believe Floyd to be a good character. But then again, I can only base my opinion on what I've seen of his interviews etc. It is very easy to see how he turns on the "Money Mayweather" side when shooting All Access episodes, in contrast with a lot of his interviews in which he seems to be a very down to earth, kind person. In this sense he is a very intelligent guy who knows how to hype up a fight at the right times to generate the most income- WHICH IS WORKING, IS IT NOT? Do you people really think that Floyd doesn't realize that cameras are pointing in his face when shooting such episodes. Boxing is a business and he makes the most out of it.

At day's end, only Floyd himself knows who he really is, and judging him from whatever limited interviews, 24/7, All- Access episodes are available is pointless. Instead, at least in my opinion, one should focus on actual boxing side of things.

Nevertheless, Floyd is a top class fighter who gives us a lot of entertainment- which is exactly what one looks for in boxing. Am I wrong? Like he says himself, whether you like him or not, you still watch his fights. Its true.

I think a lot of people who dislike him are jealous. He's undefeated ( I believe Canelo has a serious shot, although I said the same about Guerrero), filthy rich and a good looking guy at that.

Instead of focusing on things which can be perceived to be negative e.g flashing his money and cars, why not take the positive out of his story: hard work pays off (not only in boxing but in any field of work).

I'll admit that this whole TMT ****e can be very cringey at times, but I try not to focus on that and take whatever positives I can from him, because whatever it is that he's doing, it seems to be working.

You should write to him and ask him to be your pen pal!

The man is a great boxer but also a f*uckin clown. He slaps women around the place in front of his kids. He's a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

As a boxer hes great and one of the best we've ever seen in the ring
    As a person he can be funny and intelligent but one of the worst people regards to money and violence towards women. All the mouthy stuff when he's trash taking is okay as it's boxing hype related. As a person he is a complete tool. I hope Canelo beats him. And would love to see him beaten bad.

ozzz wrote: »
    On Floyd:

I don't see what everyone's problem with this man is. He rightly earned every dollar he flashes. If you don't like him because of that,

Jeez, he tells us this every damn time he's on and now you're telling us?:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Lads, how do we watch this? Is it ppv on sky or whats the craic?

Advertisement