Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather v Canelo Alvarez September 14th

Options
  • 30-05-2013 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) tweeted at 3:13 AM on Thu, May 30, 2013:
    I chose my opponent for September 14th and it's Canelo Alvarez. I'm giving the fans what they want. It will be at the MGM Grand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Holy ****. I was not expecting this to happen. Huge risk by floyd. Apparently both fighters need to make 152lbs and there's no rehydration limit...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

Wasn't expecting that at all! Can't wait

• Site Banned Posts: 5 Apollo Swordfish

Delighted this fight was made. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If this is tue and is serious then great!

I saw it mentioned somewhere that Garcia and Mathysse will be on the undercard. That would be class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Maybe I'm over-estimating the drawing power of this fight, but the MGM Grand seems a little cosy for an event like this?

Either way, so long as the fight actually happens, that's the important thing!

The MGM will do just nicely. The claim by PBF is also on his FB page! I wonder how significant that 2 lbs will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What does Canelo walk around at? I heard somewhere it was close to 170lbs, or did I hear it wrong?

If he loses Floyd will get a rematch and if he wins he'll likely fight the winner of Garcia and Mathysse.

Gintonious wrote: »
    What does Canelo walk around at? I heard somewhere it was close to 170lbs, or did I hear it wrong?

I would think that at this time Canelo finds it a struggle to make 154 lbs. He's growing and maturing into a MW. The 2 lbs could be significant. I would hazard a guess that he's at 165-175 lbs out of camp!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    I would think that at this time Canelo finds it a struggle to make 154 lbs. He's growing and maturing into a MW. The 2 lbs could be significant. I would hazard a guess that he's at 165-175 lbs out of camp!

Yeah, the reports were that he weighed 172lbs for the Trout fight.

One could then expect him to be most liklely a SMW come fight night vs. Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Hopefully this will be a good night.I think Saul the Irish warrior Alvarez will give Mayweather trouble but Mayweather to win on points

Reading this article from yesterday http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/209530.html?CMP=OTC-RSS the 2lbs could indeed be significant.

Canelo:
    "I'll fight at my weight [154] against Mayweather," Alvarez told Univision Deportes. "I cannot go lower than 154 because that's where I feel good. My team and I are ready to fight Mayweather."

el flaco wrote: »
    Reading this article from yesterday http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/209530.html?CMP=OTC-RSS the 2lbs could indeed be significant.

Canelo:

I can't read the article. What timeframe was this quote from Canelo?

So, is Floyd claiming he's fighting Canelo but also making the fight a very difficult one for Canelo to accept?

walshb wrote: »
    I can't read the article. What timeframe was this quote from Canelo?

So, is Floyd claiming he's fighting Canelo but also making the fight a very difficult one for Canelo to accept?

It doesn't say exactly when the quote was from but the article was posted yesterday. The gist very much being that Canelo was trying to get a fight with Mayweather. The article seem to have become quickly outdated given Floyds tweet just hours later!
    Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez is proving stubborn in his quest to fight undefeated welterweight star Floyd Mayweather Jr, stating that he will not drop below the 154lb pound mark to step into the ring with 'Money'.
    Unified light-middleweight champion Alvarez, who is undefeated in 42 professional bouts, has insisted he would not be prepared to drop any lower than his preferred level to fight the unbeaten American, leaving any chance of a potential clash looking less likely.
    "I'll fight at my weight [154] against Mayweather," Alvarez told Univision Deportes. "I cannot go lower than 154 because that's where I feel good. My team and I are ready to fight Mayweather."
    Alvarez weighed in at 172lbs before his unanimous decision defeat of Austin Trout in April, 25lbs heavier than WBC champion Mayweather Jr's desired 147lb welterweight level.

...one more post before I end up hi-jacking this thread :pac:

Canelo tweeted "The top is close on September 14 there will be a new king!" and a picture of him signing a contract beside De La Hoya.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

i like alvarez but hes still no were near the finished product. still abit rough around the edges and overrated. floyd takes this for me. decent fight though but cant see alvarez winning more than 2 or 3 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Has Canelo signed the contract? He had said there was no way he was going lower than 154. I guess the Mayweather fans are going to have to revise their views on catchweights.

Henno30 wrote: »
    Has Canelo signed the contract? He had said there was no way he was going lower than 154. I guess the Mayweather fans are going to have to revise their views on catchweights.

It's a done deal by all accounts. Richard Schaefer said told them last night that they either sign now or it doesn't happen as he was going to Amir Khans wedding. Got that from Dan Rafael's blog. He said it was very difficult to get a deal done due to them both having big egos but he finally got them to agree on a comprimise whereby Canelo accepts 152lb limit. Interesting to note there is no rehydration limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

I'd say Canelo will just aim for 154 and pay the fine for being 2lbs over the limit!

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    I'd say Canelo will just aim for 154 and pay the fine for being 2lbs over the limit!

Not sure that will be the deal. I reckon PBF will not have that in the deal. Make weight or fight is off. That's assuming the 152 lbs is in any fight deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Is 2lbs really that much of a difference he has plenty of time to come down in weight + he rehydrates to 170 on fight Night, the heaviest Floyd went into a fight was 156lbs.

TT09 wrote: »
    Is 2lbs really that much of a difference he has plenty of time to come down in weight + he rehydrates to 170 on fight Night, the heaviest Floyd went into a fight was 156lbs.

2 lbs is a lot for a man who probably already is so defined/ripped at 154 lbs. These guys today are treated like machines. So precise.

ooPabsoo wrote: »

The fine would be massive, millions per pound probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Yeeeees brillent omg so happy cant wait the fight everyone wanted, cant critacise Floyd for this at all especially if there is not limit on how much they can put on after the weigh in, Hugh risk for Floyd Canelo actually has a very good chance in this, think of how much he will outweigh floyd come fight night, Garcia Vs Matthyse on the undercard that would be amazing brillent night of boxing two fights everyone wants to see delighted Fair play Floyd you stepped up and did what the fans want

Yeeeees brillent omg so happy cant wait the fight everyone wanted, cant critacise Floyd for this at all especially if there is not limit on how much they can put on after the weigh in, Hugh risk for Floyd Canelo actually has a very good chance in this, think of how much he will outweigh floyd come fight night, Garcia Vs Matthyse on the undercard that would be amazing brillent night of boxing two fights everyone wants to see delighted Fair play Floyd you stepped up and did what the fans want

I just hope this goes ahead. If so, all you say I agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Haven't been looking forward to a Mayweather fight as much since Hatton...I'm really hopeful for an upset here...I think Canelo is probably the best man for the job atm eventhough he'd be better off fighting Floyd after one more high standard fight imo...I wonder how much Canelo will improve on in terms of speed and stamina which is vital if he's to get through this one...I hope he's in the best condition possible because I really want him to win this... It's the ultimate platform for him... I think Floyd will prepare impeccably for this one as realistically it's probably his last "big" fight as if he wins he'll probably avoid any difficult opponents and in fairness who could blame him...he's giving everyone what they want...and if he loses I'm sure he'll probably bow out...theres nothing left for him if he loses that record...

It's the best fight for Mayweather that could be made right now, that's for sure, but am I alone in not being overly impressed with Canelo? I thought Trout beat him, and while that's not really a knock on him I thought he gassed badly down the stretch which would be crucial against Mayweather.

I think he'll have to take it to Floyd early and stop him to tell the truth, or at least do some serious damage. Mayweather will be moving like he hasn't moved in years and if Canelo starts to run out of gas without having left his mark on Floyd, it'll be all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Maywetaher is very clever he is probably taking Alvarez now while he is young and a bit raw and alos under pressure from the tv networks to make the money for this. With canelos fanbase this fight will be massive commercially. If canelo waited another year it would have been ideal but with his massive weight advantage he may trouble mayweather

Advertisement