Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preview Thread -RaboDirect Pro12 Final - RDS, 25th May, 1645 - live on RTE2/TG4/BBCNI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

Lads going to be in Belfast for the weekend can anyone recommend a good pub to watch the match?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

andrewdcs wrote: »
    Hurrah, I only get RTE / Irish channels of the web (no terrestrial TV signal) and freesat, which in fairness works just fine for me.

This will (im sure) be a Sky exclusive next year.

Sky deal only begins season after next.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

Leinster to lay their Rabo final hoodoo to rest?
    siochain wrote: »
    Lads going to be in Belfast for the weekend can anyone recommend a good pub to watch the match?
    Cheers

The bot on the Malone road should be good craic mate

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We really need Afoa to be fit. I expect he will start unless it's really bad but how fit will he be?
    Anyway assuming two full strength front rows there's not much in it. Healy is better than Court but Afoa is better than Ross and Best and Strauss are much of a muchness.

Second row may just be advantage Ulster, however Leinster have a slight edge in the back row.

Half backs cancel each other out, Ulster have a big advantage at 9 and Leinster have a big up at 10.

Olding v Madigan could be a really interesting side dish on the evening, however BOD over Cave gives Leinster advantages in the centres.

I do think the back three is the one area where we have a clear advantage so Im sure Leinster will be wary of that.

You know I have a feeling that with the changes iminent at Leinster and Munster rebuilding that next season Ulster might edge ahead as Irelands top province (the proof will be in the pudding), however we aren't there yet. This is the last games for the two JS's and IN and despite it being a neutral ground there is little doubt that Leinster will feel more at home than Ulster will. On the flip side will Ulster have a bit more gas in the tank in their last 10 mins, if it is tight then maybe that will help Ulster, but then Leinster weren't tested too much last week so it may not be an issue. I'm hopeful Ulster can do it but Im not expectant, if I was neutral Id back Leinster by about 6 points, but as an Ulsterman Im not going to go against my boys.

Ulster by 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

bilston wrote: »
    We really need Afoa to be fit. I expect he will start unless it's really bad but how fit will he be?
    Anyway assuming two full strength front rows there's not much in it. Healy is better than Court but Afoa is better than Ross and Best and Strauss are much of a muchness.

Second row may just be advantage Ulster, however Leinster have a slight edge in the back row.

Half backs cancel each other out, Ulster have a big advantage at 9 and Leinster have a big up at 10.

Olding v Madigan could be a really interesting side dish on the evening, however BOD over Cave gives Leinster advantages in the centres.

I do think the back three is the one area where we have a clear advantage so Im sure Leinster will be wary of that.

You know I have a feeling that with the changes iminent at Leinster and Munster rebuilding that next season Ulster might edge ahead as Irelands top province (the proof will be in the pudding), however we aren't there yet. This is the last games for the two JS's and IN and despite it being a neutral ground there is little doubt that Leinster will feel more at home than Ulster will. On the flip side will Ulster have a bit more gas in the tank in their last 10 mins, if it is tight then maybe that will help Ulster, but then Leinster weren't tested too much last week so it may not be an issue. I'm hopeful Ulster can do it but Im not expectant, if I was neutral Id back Leinster by about 6 points, but as an Ulsterman Im not going to go against my boys.

Ulster by 4.

I don't know about that. Kearney/Payne, Isa/Bowe, McFadden/Trimble. They're all pretty even at the moment

• Advertisement

Grimebox wrote: »
    I don't know about that. Kearney/Payne, Isa/Bowe, McFadden/Trimble. They're all pretty even at the moment

We'll agree to disagree then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

don't think their is a clear advantage in the back three for Ulster, maybe a slight one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Grimebox wrote: »

Kearney v Payne is a close one with Kearney coming back to form, I think Bowe looks more dangerous than Isa and Trimble has looked very sharp all season but the same can be said for Ferg. I'd call the back 3 advantage Ulster, but only just.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

decisions wrote: »
    Kearney v Payne is a close one with Kearney coming back to form, I think Bowe looks more dangerous than Isa and Trimble has looked very sharp all season but the same can be said for Ferg. I'd call the back 3 advantage Ulster, but only just.
    isn't ferg doubtful? Trimble Conway is advantage Ulster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

isn't ferg doubtful? Trimble Conway is advantage Ulster

Is he? We could really do with him.

Edit: just remembered the neck thing, nevermind.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

any clear advantage ulster have is in second row in my opinion. assuming toner and leo start, id be afraid of being a bit "beaten up" by the mass of tuohy and muller

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Can't wait for this, if it's anything like last year's Pro12 final then we're in for a treat.

I'd edge towards Ulster for this if Afoa is fit. The week off will have benefited them.

They had a couple of weeks off before the HC final last year too while Leinster went in battle hardened and look what happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Yeah I'd be more worried about the 2nd row than the back 3, Isa has been in ridiculous form since he announced retirement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd be more worried about the 2nd row than the back 3, Isa has been in ridiculous form since he announced retirement

Worry about both...:D

Mocker Gods don't fear me

So for what it's worth IMO

Front Row - Even
    Second Row - Ulster
    Back Row - Leinster
    Half Backs - Even
    Midfield - Leinster
    Back Three - Ulster
    Bench - Leinster

Bench might be the difference then, however maybe that just evens up the fact that Ulster will be a tad more rested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

So for what it's worth IMO

Front Row - Even
    Second Row - Ulster
    Back Row - Leinster
    Half Backs - Even
    Midfield - Leinster
    Back Three - Ulster
    Bench - Leinster

Bench might be the difference then, however maybe that just evens up the fact that Ulster will be a tad more rested.
    With O'Brien out do Leinster have an advantage in back row?

If I can peel off my Ulster tinted spectacles for a moment I would call it very close there.

..but i suppose overall your assessment is fair wink.png

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    With O'Brien out do Leinster have an advantage in back row?

If I can peel off my Ulster tinted spectacles for a moment I would call it very close there.

..but i suppose overall your assessment is fair wink.png

Yeah I said on another thread that SOB makes a big difference. He always plays well against Ulster too. I suppose I hadn't really considered that he would be unavailable when I was making that previous post. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Yeah I said on another thread that SOB makes a big difference. He always plays well against Ulster too. I suppose I hadn't really considered that he would be unavailable when I was making that previous post. We'll see.

I'm looking forward to seeing the two different styles of No.8 clashing. Heaslip V Williams - its gonna be epic!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I am seriously nervous about this one, I still remember the look of pain and disbelief in the Terrace last year looking around me, I don't want a repeat of that.
    I think mentally Ulster don't have that killer instinct just yet to close out a final/test game like this and I'm hoping that Leinster will be so fired up with it being the monkey on our back, Isa, Johnny, Joe et al last game that we can do this. But seriously sick with nerves over it. Should be a cracking day the RDS will be rocking.

pc7 wrote: »
    I am seriously nervous about this one, I still remember the look of pain and disbelief in the Terrace last year looking around me, I don't want a repeat of that.
    I think mentally Ulster don't have that killer instinct just yet to close out a final/test game like this and I'm hoping that Leinster will be so fired up with it being the monkey on our back, Isa, Johnny, Joe et al last game that we can do this. But seriously sick with nerves over it. Should be a cracking day the RDS will be rocking.

Weather set fair as well, that will suit both sides and should make for a cracking contest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2964574?day=2

The atmosphere should be brillant. Leinster fans can correct me but I imagine the RDS will have seen nothing like it before given the 50/50 mix of fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Weather set fair as well, that will suit both sides and should make for a cracking contest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2964574?day=2

The atmosphere should be brillant. Leinster fans can correct me but I imagine the RDS will have seen nothing like it before given the 50/50 mix of fans.

Can't remember the last game that was so 50/50 at the RDS. I love the fact they've split the allocation between north and south, and ofcourse the nordies get the north and the D4 brigade get the south. Hilarious. :P

.ak wrote: »
    Can't remember the last game that was so 50/50 at the RDS. I love the fact they've split the allocation between north and south, and ofcourse the nordies get the north and the D4 brigade get the south. Hilarious. :P

Is that correct? So if I'm in the north stand, I'm going to surrounded by Ulster fans? Riiiight, guess I'll have to tone it down a bit this week so.

I suppose that was probably the easiest way to distribute tickets but one of the best things about going to matches is everyone mingling in together.

Is that correct? So if I'm in the north stand, I'm going to surrounded by Ulster fans? Riiiight, guess I'll have to tone it down a bit this week so.

I suppose that was probably the easiest way to distribute tickets but one of the best things about going to matches is everyone mingling in together.

There'll be no toning it down. Just grab yourself one of these.

8394sombrero.jpg

I'm sure you'll be grand. I was with a group of six Ulster fans at the HEC final last year surrounded by Leinster fans and the craic was brillant. Of course the fact that we were getting hammered (and I'm not just talking about Ulster on the pitch:D) probably helped.

I'm sure you'll be grand. I was with a group of six Ulster fans at the HEC final last year surrounded by Leinster fans and the craic was brillant. Of course the fact that we were getting hammered (and I'm not just talking about Ulster on the pitch:D) probably helped.

I'll bring an extra hip-flask to smooth inter-provincial relations so.

First time being in the north/south stand and being out of my grandstand comfort zone. Not looking forward to going to the jacks and some lad nicking my seat :(

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Toning it down or not, they'll still be able to smell that southern musk off of you. You'll stick out like a sore thumb. :P

awec wrote: »
    Toning it down or not, they'll still be able to smell that southern musk off of you. You'll stick out like a sore thumb. :P

That's called deodorant. DEO - DOR - ANT. :cool:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'll bring an extra hip-flask to smooth inter-provincial relations so.

First time being in the north/south stand and being out of my grandstand comfort zone. Not looking forward to going to the jacks and some lad nicking my seat :(

If they have the extra seats in like last weeks amlin there will be no big screen for you to see replays in the south stand, so bring a radio to hear what's happening. I found it hard last week as it got dusky to know what was going on (no smart sure that's normal for you :)). I've a proper seat this week, ah its the little things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    That's called deodorant. DEO - DOR - ANT. :cool:

Class....and so it begins.

Are there many going with the sombrero look? I know a couple of lads who always do for the Ulster games. Was wondering how widespread it would be....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

As an Ulster fan I'm hopeful but not confident. It's a home game for Leinster and they've shown that they have the bottle for big games.

Im happier than i would have been if Ulster had of lost the game in March, but Sexton being back is a huge lift for them.

Really hope Ulster step up and put in a big performance. Fingers crossed for a great game.

Advertisement