Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preview Thread -RaboDirect Pro12 Final - RDS, 25th May, 1645 - live on RTE2/TG4/BBCNI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Leinster are taking the home dressing room. Interesting.

Anyway, Ulster are flagging the shit out of their fans for tomorrow, so any Leinster fans attending need to bring every bit of blue kit they can possibly get their hands on.

That's interesting. Is it done based on a coin toss?

Also apparently Ulster are trying to get Ulster fans to join in the biggest Guard of Honor ever by paving the route from the Shelbourne to the RDS with Ulster fans with flags for when the team bus makes its way to the grounds. Ambitious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

.ak wrote: »
    That's interesting. Is it done based on a coin toss?

Also apparently Ulster are trying to get Ulster fans to join in the biggest Guard of Honor ever by paving the route from the Shelbourne to the RDS with Ulster fans with flags for when the team bus makes its way to the grounds. Ambitious...
    That's very far!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why the hell have Leinster got the home dressing room?

I'd have took the home dressing room and declared the away dressing room out of order, and made yous change in a portacabin in the field out the back of the anglesea. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

awec wrote: »
    Why the hell have Leinster got the home dressing room?
    Maybe ulster didn't want to be in a dressing room full of pictures of Leinster's greatest achievements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Off to this game, first time I see Ulster play live, that'll tick the box for the 4 provinces. Am hoping for a cracking atmosphere...and dry weather! Love the RDS compared to the Aviva, I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 escape m1

Ulster as the home team apparently had the choice of dressing rooms and were perfectly in their rights to move Leinster to the away one, which i can only imagine isn't as nice.

My only guess is that they have had some good times in that away dressing room recently and want to keep it.

escape m1 wrote: »
    Ulster as the home team apparently had the choice of dressing rooms and were perfectly in their rights to move Leinster to the away one, which i can only imagine isn't as nice.

My only guess is that they have had some good times in that away dressing room recently and want to keep it.

Or that Leinster have had bad times in the home dressing room, particular in finals! :P

Swiwi wrote: »
    Off to this game, first time I see Ulster play live, that'll tick the box for the 4 provinces. Am hoping for a cracking atmosphere...and dry weather! Love the RDS compared to the Aviva, I must say.

I hope you'll be wearing white and red Swiwi, flying your flag and joining in with the "GIMME A U".

So annoying that this is on a bank holiday (UK). Meant that it was cheaper for me to fly home and attend both finals last weekend than it was to get flights and tickets for this one!

Will be nervously watching on BBC NI cursing those biased commentators!

(probably the least biased ones about, but when it's "them" vs "us" it's a different bag of tricks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

You could always try listening to RTE commentary on 2FM via the web and mute the tv, might be tricky to get it sync'ed properly though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

awec wrote: »
    If yous know what it is why the lack of wearing it? :P

What's with this sombrero thing? Explain the joke!

From the old song. "South of the border, down Mexico way."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Leinster to lay their Rabo final hoodoo to rest?
    So annoying that this is on a bank holiday (UK). Meant that it was cheaper for me to fly home and attend both finals last weekend than it was to get flights and tickets for this one!

(probably the least biased ones about, but when it's "them" vs "us" it's a different bag of tricks)

Ah they're pretty bad but when you're only serving one isolated area you're allowed to be, RTE on the other hand have an obligation to be more impartial... but let's just say that isn't always the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Just to get everyone in the mood :pac:

Tox56 wrote: »
    Ah they're pretty bad but when you're only serving one isolated area you're allowed to be, RTE on the other hand have an obligation to be more impartial... but let's just say that isn't always the case

I have found them excellent this season tbh.

Have really enjoyed the BBC NI coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Tox56 wrote: »

I take it this is a joke......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

jacothelad wrote: »
    I take it this is a joke......

The obligation part or the impartiality part?
    Because they certainly have an obligation compared to BBCNI for eg.

Grimebox wrote: »
    Just to get everyone in the mood :pac:

Actually, suddenly I just remembered why it could be so important SOB plays...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

John Afoa will start at tighthead in the only change to the Ulster team that defeated the Scarlets a fortnight ago for tomorrow's RaboDirect PRO12 Final against Leinster at the RDS (kick off 16.45).

The All Black prop missed the Play Off with a hamstring strain but has been passed fit for the end-of-season finale.
    Afoa will join this summer’s Ireland captain, Rory Best, and Tom Court in the front row, while Ulster Captain, Johann Muller, continues his partnership with Dan Tuohy in the second-row. Robbie Diack and Chris Henry start either side of the scrum with the RaboDirect PRO12 Players’ Player of the Year, Nick Williams, selected at Number 8.

Ruan Pienaar starts at scrumhalf, with Paddy Jackson named at outhalf. 20 year-old Stuart Olding partners Darren Cave in midfield with British and Irish Lions winger, Tommy Bowe, joining Andrew Trimble and Jared Payne in the back three.

Commenting on his selection, Ulster Head Coach, Mark Anscombe, said: ‘It’s great to be able to welcome John back into the starting line-up. John and players like Ruan (Pienaar) and Johann (Muller) have been part of World Cup winning squads. When the big moments come, they are cool heads under pressure and you can’t put a price on that. When you put them together with our Ireland internationals and our excellent young players like Stuart Olding then you have a great mix.

‘However, Leinster are a quality team and we have a huge amount of respect for them. They will ask a lot of questions of us and we will have to play at our very best to beat them.

‘This is a massive match, a local derby and it is an occasion that everyone at Ulster is looking forward to. In recent seasons Ulster have been the bridesmaids too often. We have done our learning – it’s now time to step up and to prove that we are good enough.’

Ulster XV and replacements to face Leinster, RaboDirect PRO12 Final, RDS, Saturday 25th May 2013 (kick off 16.45);

(15-9): J Payne, A Trimble, D Cave, S Olding, T Bowe, P Jackson, R Pienaar;
    (1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (C), D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry, N Williams;
    Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, D Fitzpatrick, I Henderson, M McComish, P Marshall, M Allen, P Nelson.

SUFTU

AFOA! AFOA! AFOA!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's huge for Ulster. An impressive pack with Henderson to come on.

• Advertisement

What a few months it has been for Stuart Olding. At the start of the season he was helping Ulster win the U20 Inter Pros and playing for Belfast Harlequins in the AIL, 9 months later he's preparing to play in the Pro 12 final with a tour with the senior Irish squad around the corner. Obviously a combination of injuries and sadly tragedy have worked in his favour but in a way he's been the find of the season in Irish rugby, certainly him and Henshaw anyway, the reason being that only real anoraks had heard of him at the start of the season. I hope he builds on his fast growing reputation tomorrow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

So fricken nervous and excited about this one I'm hoping the noise levels are unreal!!! Its going to be carnage, this will be my first live Ulster game as couldn't make the last home one. From all reports the banter should be good. Any of their games I've watched on tv the fans seem excellent.

The only chink I can see in that team is the backs on the bench. Allen and Nelson are fine players, with Allen especially has a lovely jink in his step, but at this level they may be found wanting. I think Ulster will be hoping for a solid 80 minute performance from their backline. Other than that it's a super squad. I'd defo say better than the one that took to field in Twickenham last year.

That's huge for Ulster. An impressive pack with Henderson to come on.

Henderson stands out a mile on our bench, Marshall offers something different too (not always in a good way) and Herring, Black and Allen all have something to give if needed but in truth the bench is an area where I think Leinster will have an obvious edge.

They'll have Cronin, Toner/Roux, Jennings/Ruddock/Ryan, and maybe even Madigan depending on the selection.

Now I'm worried, that's a very strong Ulster side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Afoa fit could be the difference. Healy handled him very well in Twickenham but I think Ross has gone backwards since then, and if Ross is in trouble Healy will have a huge job trying to contain Afoa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

decisions wrote: »
    Now I'm worried, that's a very strong Ulster side.

Impressive Ulster side but the bench isnt as strong as Leinster will have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Impressive side. Would like to see Ulster win tbh..

chris85 wrote: »
    Impressive Ulster side but the bench isnt as strong as Leinster will have

But they are coming into this fresh, in the last 15min that's going to count.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    The only chink I can see in that team is the backs on the bench. Allen and Nelson are fine players, with Allen especially has a lovely jink in his step, but at this level they may be found wanting. I think Ulster will be hoping for a solid 80 minute performance from their backline. Other than that it's a super squad. I'd defo say better than the one that took to field in Twickenham last year.

Actually that's given me the idea to compare and contrast Ulster 2012 with Ulster 2013

15 Terblanche vs Payne
    14 Trimble vs Trimble
    13 Cave vs Cave
    12 Wallace vs Olding
    11 Gilroy vs Bowe
    10 Jackson vs Jackson
    9 Pienaar vs Pienaar
    1 Court vs Court
    2 Best vs Best
    3 Afoa vs Afoa
    4 Muller vs Muller
    5 Tuohy vs Tuohy
    6 Ferris vs Diack
    7 Henry vs Henry
    8 Wannenberg vs Williams

The only place we're weaker is probably at 12 and even then I've no concerns about Olding, however Wallace was great for us last season. I'd even go so far as to say we're stronger at 6 because Fez wasn't fit in the final last year, plus Diack and Henderson give us more line-out options. Bowe is better than Gilroy and Payne is better than Terblanche.

Most crucially though Jackson is a year more experienced and despite the criticism he's got on an Ireland level he's been good for Ulster this year with the odd exception, as you'd expect from a 21 year old out half. I certainly don't expect him to implode tomorrow. Besides he'll have a point to prove, but then so will the entire squad.

IIRC Henry wasn't fully fit last year either and for all the talk of Jackson etc etc Ulster were schooled at the breakdown in the HEC final. That's what we've got to get right tomorrow and why I await with intrigue as to the make up of the Leinster back row.

Advertisement