Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA Sports UFC - Game

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I'm around and on pretty much every night. Will be on tomorrow night and Saturday. Working Sunday but may be around late. When you around Blobby?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Axwell wrote: »
    I'm around and on pretty much every night. Will be on tomorrow night and Saturday. Working Sunday but may be around late. When you around Blobby?

I'll be on tomorrow night.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Fought the other night. Another win for Blobby. Good fights.

Was talking to sheehy about mixing this up a bit. Maybe 2 groups of 4. Round robin style where you fight everyone in your group. Get points for the win, bonus points maybe for a sub or tko. Say 2 for a sub, 1 for a tko and then 3 for the win. Top 2 from eqch group go through to play each other. What do people think, might change it up a bit and people get a few more fights out of it.

Fought the other night. Another win for Blobby. Good fights.

Was talking to sheehy about mixing this up a bit. Maybe 2 groups of 4. Round robin style where you fight everyone in your group. Get points for the win, bonus points maybe for a sub or tko. Say 2 for a sub, 1 for a tko and then 3 for the win. Top 2 from eqch group go through to play each other. What do people think, might change it up a bit and people get a few more fights out of it.

Sounds good.
    But don't involve the Womens division.. There's not enough fighters in it to make it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah Jaysus BBlobby won again! Something has to be done about that. Yeah, that sounds good. I think we should include all Divisions this time, give it a right mix up.

How's the latest patch? I only had one fight with it before my joypad broke. It's been wit Sony for a week, might be another 2 or 3 weeks before I get it back so might miss the next tourney. I'll sign up if ye haven't stated by the time it comes back.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say I got a replacement joypad. Any sign of a new tourney/league going ahead?

Yeah lets definitely get it going.

How about:

2 groups of 4 - everyone plays everyone in their group in a best of 3.
    Each person picks a weight class. If it goes to a 3rd then they use HW always.

Top 2 go through from each group and we draw for the semis and final.

3 points for a win by TKO or Sub
    1 for a win on points decision

If theres a tie for the top 2 places they have a single fight at HW to decide it.

The last tournament dragged out so if people are signing up could they please try commit to playing or making an effort to arrange a time with others on here or psn to fight. It holds it up for everyone involved and most people are on all the time so it should be easy enough to get them out of the way. People will also need to post the results up here so we can keep things updated. Its a small bit more effort on everyone's part but it should make the tournament more fun and people wont be out so quickly either.

Sounds good sign me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Havent played this in ages, was actually going to trade it in Friday for Fifa but might keept it a while longer if yer having another tourney

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Actually think the game against Blobby was my last game of this. It just didn't grab me like the original THQ effort. it's a bit samey! opefully EA can improve on it next time out!

• Advertisement

Lads EA running a class competition at the moment, play as Conor vs poirier, take a pic of the fight results and email it to them. Closest fight to the actual real one on saturday wins a fight pack.

Gonna go for conor win 1st round left hand ko between 3 and 4 minutes.

http://o.ea.com/27785

Looks like the new Patch details were leaked. GUNNNNIIIIII!!

New and Updated Content
    Addition of 3 new fighters. 1 in Welterweight: Gunnar Nelson, 1 in Middleweight: Tim Kennedy and 1 at Light Heavyweight: Anthony Johnson
    Added Nick Diaz to Middleweight Division
    Updates to fighter records

Gameplay
    Finish the Fight 2.0 – Rush down the opponent with a flurry of punches when they are wobbled.
    Added Guillotine Takedown Reversals. To initiate, deny a takedown with the R1/Rb button and Right Stick Down. Must be done with a fighter who has Guillotine in Full Guard.
    Added more variety to Takedowns based on denial and input times. Perfect takedowns will end in Half Guard and late denials or inputs will end in Full Guard.
    Added new Submissive Side Control transition to Side Back Mount

Gameplay
    Added animations for fatigued kicks during Health Events or low stamina
    Slips – Back slips procedurally hold longer to avoid strikes, side slips have improved evasive properties
    Strikes will now interrupt kicks if landed early in the kick animation
    Increased stamina tax on slips and lunges
    Adjusted movesets of a few fighters
    Fixed transition denial inputs for certain clinch positions.
    Fixed issue with clinch steering
    Fixed an issue with fighters freezing on the ground
    Fixed an issue with fighters clipping through the cage
    Tuning –
    Tuned priority logic on the ground and in the clinch
    Tuned Strike combo branching
    Clinch transition timings have been tuned
    Takedown denial timings have been tuned
    Parry timing has been tuned.
    Referee stand up time has been tuned for more dominant positions
    Judge logic tuned
    Stamina has been tuned.

Fixed an issue with offline save data triggering Championship presentation online

Miscellaneous
    Fix unsupported characters for Russian in Origin Flow

=======================================

And an indepth combo explanation from a dev

https://twitter.com/tallUNLIMITED/status/514863628130861056

This will likely be my last patch spoiler, and we've saved the best for last.

Summary

We have completely revamped the striking combo system in EA Sports UFC. The new system will provide the following:

faster strike combos at the high end

slower strike combos at the low end

a combo system that is driven by stamina

a combo system that is much more skill and timing based

a combo system that rewards realistic combos and punishes unrealistic combos

It's hard to convey how big a change this is in terms of control and responsiveness, but the difference should be pretty noticeable once you pick up the controller. And it will require skill to master.

Details

Faster strike combos at the high end

Every single strike in our game has had its combo windows re-tuned with the new combo system in mind. The result is the ability to combo faster than ever before, and this in turn makes the striking feel much more responsive.

Slower strike combos at the low end

In addition, the branch window variance for all of the strikes have been greatly exaggerated, so when you are gassed your combos will throw a lot slower than they used to.

Combo system is more heavily influenced by stamina

By exaggerating the difference between these combo windows, stamina will now matter more when it comes to combo speeds. When you have full stamina, you combos will be faster than ever. When you are gassed, you might as well stop throwing combos because it's going to be slower than resetting and throwing the next strike from scratch. This should punish mindless spamming and force players to be more strategic with their striking output.

Left/Right combos and timing now matter more than ever

We've changed how we branch between strikes, and the results mean that throwing a left/right combo will result in two strikes landing considerably faster than a left/left combo (for the most part). This was true before this patch, but it has been completely redone to maximize its effect. Because you can branch sooner, timing will help determine how fast your strikes throw. The sooner you press the button, the sooner the strike will land. But because we only queue up one strike at a time, pressing the buttons too fast could end up killing your combo speed.

For example, if I want to throw a left/right/left combo I need to press "Left"-"Right"-"Left" button inputs to make that happen. If I press them too fast, I will kill one of the buffered strike inputs and I'll get a left/left combo which will execute slower. If I press the buttons too slow, I will be introducing a delay between strikes that wasn't necessary. It's only if I time my combos in that sweet spot that I'll get the fastest possible strike output. Rhythm is key here.

Some more details on how this works:

A punch animation can be broken down into the following parts. Lets use the back hook as an example.

Start (frame 0)

Windup (frame 14)

Contact (frame 32)

Follow Through early (frame 35)

Follow Through mid (frame 46)

Follow Through late (frame 62)

Follow Through end (frame 76)

Let's assume you have full stamina and you are throwing this back hook and want to follow up with a lead hook.

When you first throw a strike, you start at frame 0 and play the animation. If you successfully hit your opponent at the contact frame, the earliest you'll be able to start a combo is on the follow through early frame (35), and only if you request a lead strike.

If you request a back strike, the earliest that a strike can start is at the follow through late frame (62). That's almost a 30 frame speed advantage just for properly throwing a left/right combo!

Now, the earlier you time your follow up punch, the less your follow up punch has to wind up so it can branch into the animation earlier. In the case of the back to lead combo here, the earliest branch will shave off the animation from the start to the windup frame for another 14 frame savings.

What does this mean?

It means the game is going to feel much more responsive, and there will be a real incentive to mix up your punches and throw left/right combos as they will fire much faster than before. Also, timing your follow up punch correctly can shave time off your punch, which could mean the difference between combo multiplied damage, or a blocked strike.

Rewarding realistic combos and punishing unrealistic combos

We also built a system that allows us to fine tune the branch timings when you combo between specific strike types. This allows us to add a small penalty when switching between head and body shots, adding a big penalty when spamming the same spinning kick over and over, and lots of other subtle differences you'll have to discover on your own.

What about ratings?

Ratings still come into play, but they impact the base strike speed only (along with stamina). As in how fast the animation itself plays.

Stamina, strike choice and timing are now the sole drivers of combo speed.

Prior to this patch the three were all tied together making heavyweights feel too slow, and forcing us to water down the effects of the branch windows.

Now that control is put in your hands, we can make the difference drastic and the results lead to a remarkably responsive, fluid and satisfying striking system.

I found this one hard to articulate well, so if you have any questions fire away and we can discuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That is an absolute monster of a patch! Can't wait to use Rumble Johnson, he should've been added in the first patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

martyos121 wrote: »
    That is an absolute monster of a patch! Can't wait to use Rumble Johnson, he should've been added in the first patch.

How realistic is Johnson's addition? Can he fight in the Women's divsion? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

MrStuffins wrote: »
    How realistic is Johnson's addition? Can he fight in the Women's divsion? :)

Haha totally forgot what happened, that's why he should've been added in the first patch, before all this scandal!

Yeah lets definitely get it going.

How about:

2 groups of 4 - everyone plays everyone in their group in a best of 3.
    Each person picks a weight class. If it goes to a 3rd then they use HW always.

Top 2 go through from each group and we draw for the semis and final.

3 points for a win by TKO or Sub
    1 for a win on points decision

If theres a tie for the top 2 places they have a single fight at HW to decide it.

The last tournament dragged out so if people are signing up could they please try commit to playing or making an effort to arrange a time with others on here or psn to fight. It holds it up for everyone involved and most people are on all the time so it should be easy enough to get them out of the way. People will also need to post the results up here so we can keep things updated. Its a small bit more effort on everyone's part but it should make the tournament more fun and people wont be out so quickly either.

Lads any more interest in this - need to get the numbers up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Lads any more interest in this - need to get the numbers up a bit

Yeah I'm in. Just don't see why a tie breaker MUST be HW. Why not one of the more popular weight classes like WW??

Because thats how we have done it before and the HWs guarantee a bit of a slug fest for the decider. You can choose the division you prefer before that in the fight you host.

How many have we so far?

Because thats how we have done it before and the HWs guarantee a bit of a slug fest for the decider. You can choose the division you prefer before that in the fight you host.

It gives an unfair advantage to anyone who regularly uses the HW division. Is there any way of randomising it to keep it fair??

Surely that's better than deciding the outcome with a 'slug-fest'??

• Advertisement

I think HW is one of the least used divisions and most of the smaller guys can be used across multiple divisions. If we picked a smaller weight for the decider fight, chances are you will still be able to pick the fighter you just used previously. HW has a good mix of ko and sub artists and makes the game feel different.

John_D80 wrote: »
    It gives an unfair advantage to anyone who regularly uses the HW division.

Your logic to use WW makes no sense if thats the case as someone who uses it a lot would have the advantage. HW up until the previous patch was unplayable as they were too slow and their stamina just disappeared after a few punches. Id say as Sheehy says it was the least used division, most people play in the lower ones and having HW as the decider mixes it up a bit. If you dont like HW then its in your interest to win the first 2 fights or start using them and find one you like. To be honest if you play the game regularly you should be familiar with all divisions and be able to pick fighters from any division and use them..

Your logic to use WW makes no sense .......

I only said WW as an example. What I actually proposed was some form of randomisation which would really be the only truly fair way of doing it and could leave no room for complaint by anyone.

I don't play HW very often (or WW either, for that matter) but what if you have a guy whose fave division is HW?? And he chooses HW for his pick?? Then if there is to be a decider it is automatically going to be in his best weight division again??

Sure, no harm in randomising a weight division before the league starts.

Devs said the new patch will be out soon and that will be the last major gameplay updated as they will be moving onto EA UFC 2 full time then. This game will get continued support for fixes etc.

Glad they are working on 2, all the new gameplay is class but not many modes to use it with. Sick of online except friendlies (and not-so friendlies) with yerselves. I hope they put in a story mode mode into 2 like Fight Night Champion, they really have to break the mold of the usual MMA career mode.

2 of the best sounding things in the new patch are 1- Guillotine someone if they shoot for a takedown (only certain fighters have it) and

2- Finish the fight 2.0.
    The high speed pursuit locomotion and striking is all contextual, and only available if:

-you have enough stamina
    -your opponent is wobbled
    -you are pressing the left stick towards your opponent

You will continue to pursue as long as you keep striking fluidly. You will pursue faster if you alternate left/right punches. The force of your punches will drive him backwards until you reach the cage or he gets knocked down.

Defensively nothing has changed, except the stakes are higher. You can parry these strikes but they must be timed well. A well timed parry has a good chance of taking you out of the health event.

This is meant to eliminate the frustration players were feeling in trying to chase down their opponent when they were wobbled. This is not an all purpose run mode.

More of a fun new way to capitalize on the wobbled health event, not something I expect to see happen all the time.

Devs said the moment below was inspriation for this.

wanderlie-silva-vs-vitor-belfort.gif

I don't have the game right now so unfortunately i'll have to retire :pac:

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I don't have the game right now so unfortunately i'll have to retire :pac:

Booooooo Until EA UFC 2 then!

Also announced Rumble has been taking out of then new patch :pac: :(
    EA SPORTS UFC Fans,

On Friday, September 19, 2014, Anthony “Rumble” Johnson was indefinitely suspended by the UFC. Consequently, Johnson will not be part of the EA SPORTS UFC roster or the upcoming content update as originally planned. Details of the patch were released in error and steps are currently being taken to remove Johnson from the game, thereby delaying the content update. Further details to come.

-The EA SPORTS UFC Team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Haven't gone near this in ages. Been too busy watching MMA instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

is it worth buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

D.Q wrote: »
    is it worth buying?

Great presentation and all that, but I found the control scheme overly complicated. That's not to say it's not enjoyable. I suppose it suffers for being their first outing on the new consoles.

Visually stunning, knock-outs look epic, but it's kind of light in other areas. Career mode is basic enough. Not that it would bother me, but you can't create a female fighter, despite there being half a dozen or so fighters. What I'm getting at is that it could have been fleshed out a lot more.

One small thing that I found weird and immersion breaking was when the fighters have entered the cage and they are pacing about waiting for their opponent or the start of the bout, their pacing animation goes around the in the same figures of 8 path, over and over. Every fighter seems to do that.

For the next one, I'd like to see the controls a bit less complicated and the roster and modes filled out.

I didn't buy it on a whim, but I was swayed by Conor being in it and also because I was trying to get into MMA more. I was hoping to get more comfortable with all the terminology and that. I haven't really played it enough though.

Might have a better chance to now, so hopefully I'll be able to get my head around the complicated controls.

Played online a few times but got McGregor'ed every time. Not a criticism, just hadn't played it enough.

Be nice to get his ivory suit as an alt costume. Make it an achievement to KO someone in it in the first, without being taken to ground or being in a clinch. Dana, make it happen. Speaking of Dana and co, bit funny that him and EA are all luvvy dovey after them treating the sport like it was aids for years.

You can see the roster here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

One small thing that I found weird and immersion breaking was when the fighters have entered the cage and they are pacing about waiting for their opponent or the start of the bout, their pacing animation goes around the in the same figures of 8 path, over and over. Every fighter seems to do that.
    Same for the animations when the results are announced

Advertisement