Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA Sports UFC - Game

Options
  • 29-04-2013 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭

Posted this in the Games forum but might have more interest here. I know a few people here liked EA MMA a lot and it's great to see EA have the UFC license now.

Anyway, been very quite since it was announced but looks like it will have a display at E3 in June.

So, did ye prefer the striking/grappling in Undisputed/EA's game? I know a game will never be able to replicate the complexity of the ground game in MMA but hope they have a good system for it.

I'd like the striking from Undisputed mixed with a more advanced ground game from EA MMA. EA MMA had a great sub system so keep that and the career mode was much better in EA MMA. Will be very insteresting to see if there is a TUF mode that will be integrated into career mode also.

Most importantly though, will Conor McGregor be in it???!!! If not, that would be DLC I would gladly buy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

I thought ea mma was far superior to undisputed 1 and 2. I think thq finally got it together for undisputed 3 though, that was a very fun game. I never was able to play them on my own though.

The only problem is that because its EA I imagine everything will be paid dlc. EA arent going to give us pride mode or TUF for free. I absolutely hate EA and probably won't buy the game until we see how much of it we have to pay extra. As if forking out 50 plus euro for a game isn't enough already.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I agree that EA MMA was a far superior game and the way they intergrated all the different submission techniques was really good.
    Looking forward to seeing what they do with this

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well looks like this won't be out until March 2014. At least it increases the chance of Conor Mcgregor being in it and should be a next gen game. Still hoping for some gameplay reveal at Xbox unveiling / E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Yeah, hopefully its good, never played their original MMA game but always heard good things.

PauloConn wrote: »
    Yeah, hopefully its good, never played their original MMA game but always heard good things.

You can get EA MMA fordirt cheap, saw it for 12 euro in gamestop once, and well worth it for an MMA gaming fix.

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    You can get EA MMA fordirt cheap, saw it for 12 euro in gamestop once, and well worth it for an MMA gaming fix.

Yeah seen it a few times and wondered if it was worth getting or if the new version was coming out. Reckon i can give it a few months attention by the looks of it

EA will have 'the first news of EA Sports UFC' tomorrow with the new xbox reveal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Yeah seen it a few times and wondered if it was worth getting or if the new version was coming out. Reckon i can give it a few months attention by the looks of it

Just thought id let you know. Online Servers are shut down for that game for a while now. Shame as online had some super clever features, such as fighter share, online tournaments, online belts, and PPVs you could watch, where they were commentated over by the real life strikeforce commentary team.

Hopefully they introduce these back into the new UFC game.

EA MMA is well worth picking up though. Good graphics, and gameplay.

Tinie wrote: »

Hopefully they introduce these back into the new UFC game.

Yeah, really hope they have the live online matches. I'd say we will see very little today. I'd say the gameplay will be shown at E3 but at least we are getting something today.

Keep me posted on any updates, looking forward to it.
    Going to grab a 2nd hand copy of the game at lunch and get stuck into it after work. Can't wait. Any tips, tricks etc or will there be something in another forum?

• Advertisement

Keep me posted on any updates, looking forward to it.
    Going to grab a 2nd hand copy of the game at lunch and get stuck into it after work. Can't wait. Any tips, tricks etc or will there be something in another forum?

Had a fairly big thread on it here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055979886&page=20

Skip the tutorial on the main menu and jump into career mode where the one and only Bas Rutten coaches you, teaches how to play the game and gives advice through your career. Pity the online servers were taken down but the career mode is way better than the UFC Undisputed games.

Great stuff, looking forward to trying it out already

Well not much at all other than CGI of Pettis kicking Bendo.

Just saw EA MMA is on sale on the Playstation Store today for 9.99 euro.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/games/ea-sports-mma/cid=EP0006-NPEB00577_00-EASPORTSMMA00000

Sale price will go live later today

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just saw EA MMA is on sale on the Playstation Store today for 9.99 euro.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/games/ea-sports-mma/cid=EP0006-NPEB00577_00-EASPORTSMMA00000

Sale price will go live later today

If you dont have it, its worth getting. I really enjoy it.

Having some fun with the EA MMA game, thanks for the call lads. Picked it up for 6 quid, quality game and even though the servers are down, it looks like a solid game. Good way to develop the fighter and the fighting seems fluid and good.
    Still getting used to the takedowns and the transitons, using the moves from UFC so need to de-programme.
    But defo looking forward to the new model of the game if this is the start of it.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

One of the best things I thought at the time you could was transitioning from one submission to another.
    I don't think you could do that in the UFC game at the time,I remember going from 1 sub attempt to another 3 times...it was awesome.

So EA say they will be announcing 8 features in the game at E3 in 2 weeks. They are releasing a pic every day for the next 8 features with a clue to each feature. The 1st is 'Witness the effort' and the pic below. Dunno, sounds like they wil have flexed muscles and pumping veins but doesn't really sound a like a feature :confused:

EASPORTS-UFC-Gameplay-Features-1.jpg

It is the only game were i have had 5 round battles were as i dont think i have seen round 3 in the UFC games. I also like the fact its hard to punch. But you can catch a nice one two, when timed right.

First ingame shot released (work in progress). Some graphics!

EASPORTSUFC-First-Look-Fighter-Render-Final.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

That does look pretty sweet for in game graphics

Graphics are nothing spectacular going by that. I am still holding out for gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The EA MMA game was tremendous but if this is full of payed DLC then i will pass.

Unless Conor Mcgregor is paid DLC, EA will have Ireland by the balls.

Teaser trailer revealed. Full trailer on Monday

Fulltrailer out but all CGI and worst of all, Bendo ducks Pettis' kick :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Yeah, I chuckled when he avoided it. Very cheeky, EA.

Bendo must be helping EA out a lot or something. I was mad to see him get the head kicked off him. Strange they pick that scene though, wasn't even UFC and I highly doubt you will be able to do that move in the game.

Hope they show some gameplay during E3 but if it's not out til Spring next year, then unlikely.

Turns out you can use the cage to kick opponents. List of features released. Sounds very impressive, hope they can pull it off.

Unprecedented Fighter Likeness

EA SPORTS UFC will set a new bar for character likeness and emotion in gaming. Every single licensed fighter in the game has been created from high resolution 3D head and body scans to deliver revolutionary character likeness and authenticity. Powered by EA SPORTS IGNITE, new facial animation technology delivers more expression, emotion and will communicate greater sense of awareness and intelligence in the Octagon™.

ufcfeaturepage_feature1_asset1.png?cb=2013-06-06T22:07:28+0000

MMAi

A mixed martial artist’s mind is as important as his heart. Every licensed fighter in the game will have changing goals and fight plans, based on their real-life tendencies and each fight situation. Stop their Plan A, and they will adapt to Plan B or C. Down on the scorecards, look for the AI to end the fight with a knockout or a submission. A smarter opponent equals a more challenging and unpredictable fights.

ufcfeaturepage_feature8_asset1.png?cb=2013-06-02T21:18:13+0000

Full Body Deformation

Until now, simulation of physical contact between fighters was limited to bodies that barely made contact with each other; as a result, they looked and behaved like action figures made of plastic rather than elite athletes. The team that revolutionized sports by bringing authentic physics to Fight Night changes the game again with an all-new, full-body deformation system that moves and displaces the fighter’s flesh in real time. For the first time, the strength of every submission and power of every strike will truly make an impression.

ufcfeaturepage_feature3_asset1.png?cb=2013-06-06T22:07:31+0000

Real-Time Exertion

A UFC bout is one of the most physically demanding sports on the planet requiring martial artists to give it their all with every movement. Real-Time Exertion brings each moment of that action to life in your gameplay experience. Through real-time vein popping, skin discoloration, muscle flex, as well as signs of fatigue setting in through the course of each round, you will witness the effort it takes to be one of the best fighters in the world.

ufcfeaturepage_feature4_asset1.png?cb=2013-06-02T21:09:28+0000

Precision Movement

MMA is a sport of inches, where every step counts and every movement matters. Powered by EA SPORTS IGNITE, the Precision Movement locomotion system grounds the fighters, eliminating unrealistic slipping and sliding across the canvas. More realistic physics-driven movement delivers more realistic action as the overall transfer of energy from the ground up delivers more impactful and believable strikes and takedowns.

ufcfeaturepage_feature5_asset1.png?cb=2013-06-06T22:07:25+0000

Strategic Submission Battles

To own the belt, you have to be dominant on your feet and on the mat. EA SPORTS UFC re-invents the ground game to create a battle for position and control that captures the strategy of a submission battle. Like the real sport, in EA SPORTS UFC fighters will work through multiple stages as they work to advance or escape from a fight-ending submission.

ufcfeaturepage_feature6_asset1.png?cb=2013-06-02T21:14:13+0000

Real Damage

Every fighter knows that one good shot can ruin your day. EA SPORTS UFC introduces a non-linear damage system which can result in big damage coming from a single strike. The system produces a greater variety of cuts and contusions that is true-to-life and has never been possible in a simulation fighting game.

ufcfeaturepage_feature7_asset1.png?cb=2013-06-06T22:07:42+0000

Dynamic
    Striking

A mixed martial artist uses the environment to his advantage and for the first time in a UFC game, you can too. A dynamic environment allows you to pull off jaw-dropping moves using the Octagon™, including roundhouse kicks, superman punches and much more. Combine those abilities with the best striking technology in the industry and that one perfect strike could change the fight.

• Advertisement

The guys at Middleeasy (who are huge EA MMA fans) got to see a private demo of this at E3. This guy fointed out the faults with UFC 3 and EA MMA so I'd say it's not just all hype talk. Reading it, Spring 2014 is way too far away!

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11120%3Awe-were-shown-ea-ufc-behind-closed-doors-at-e3-and-this-is-everything-we-can-tell-you&catid=34%3Aorganizations#addcomment

Disclaimer: What we saw here was a pre alpha build of EA UFC. It was hands off, but I can assure you, it was gameplay. You're going to have to trust me. On to the aforementioned bulletpoints:
    • No more floating hands. When you take someone down in EA UFC, you actually grab them, and the collision between two human bodies is obvious. The transitions and the way the bodies react to the impact is truly, truly next gen. If anyone follows me on Twitter, you know I've been begging for next gen gameplay, and not just graphics -- this is next gen gameplay. This is two bodies reacting to each other, not just two characters on screen with the same simple set of actions and reactions ready to trigger the next canned animation.
    • The footwork: No more ice skating! It was the big complaint of EA MMA, and UFC 3 did a good job of trying to fix it, but with the Ignite engine, every step is planted firmly on the mat. Weight is thrown behind the punches, and the fight is more realistic because of it. As Duke, the EA UFC PR dude told us, imagine throwing teep kicks and distance creating strikes that are actually there simply to keep another fighter at bay. I can't begin to tell you how impressive the footwork alone is.
    • The cage is fully animated and bends and reacts to every situation.
    • Anyone can do the showtime kick (well, almost anyone). They showed Bendo Showtime kicking Pettis, and vice versa. They also showed the reactions of the cage while a fighter is backed up in the clinch and against it.
    • The blood and facial damage... My GOD the blood and facial damage. They showed a set of five or so fighters post-fight and beat up as hell next to each other, and I'm being 100% honest when I say this: The only reason I could tell a certain fighter picture was not real because I know this certain fighter has never been beat up to the degree he was shown here. So in other words, the damage is simply unbelievably amazing. Picture perfect. You can almost push in the blood and fluid gathering underneath a fighter's eye, it looked so real. Brian explained that the damage is now 3D in nature, and is no longer treated like a hitbox, where a little cut opens, and then opens more, and you see the same blood or damage over and over. This is some serious stuff. Small bumps, hematomas, swelling of the face, black eyes and cuts are all picture perfect and look so, so real. Even at this pre alpha stage. Imagine the best possible damage effects in a fighting game ever. That's what you have here. And the coolest thing, as Brian said, it's all random, like a real fight. If you get taken down in the first 20 seconds and take a sharp elbow to the head, 1 strike can be the difference between you and a pool of blood.
    • The AI is much smarter apparently, with it reacting in real time to the challenges you present it. No longer will a wrestler simply spam takedowns. It's a dogfight now. And your opponent thinks.
    • OK, the real time body deformation. We were shown a picture of a fighter in a body triangle as someone worked in a rear naked choke on their back. Then we were shown this in EA MMA and it's 'floaty-ness' was obvious. Then we saw it in EA UFC. Alright, so the stomach of the dude who is getting body triangled, is getting pushed in. His neck veins are bulging and he's straining to get free. All of this is happening in real time, and their bodies are reacting accordingly. This is extremely hard to explain as far as how impressive it was, but trust me; it's really impressive.
    • Submissions are HUD free right now, and it's gotten way more realistic. It seemed to me that EA MMA and UFC 3 would probably be the high watermark for submission systems, then EA UFC goes and blows those out of the water with something so intricate and simple, it was a true derp moment. As Brian explained, one doesn't simply press a button and attempt a submission, it's worked for. You inch your way into the submission. So take that real time deformation that I wrote about above into account here: as you are sinking in a rear naked choke for example, your opponent's face is going to turn red, as he stuggles to breath. He's going to eventually turn purple as he gasps for air, and I cannot stress this enough: It looks incredible.
    I will eschew the bulletpoints for this point that isn't a bullet: I'm not hyperbolizing here. Everything we saw was pre alpha, and it looked better than anything you could imagine. The individual pores on a fighter's face look like they could form a bead of sweat at any moment. The eyes looked creepily real, and as Zeus tweeted, Ben Henderson will randomly brush the hair out of his face as the fight goes on. Back to the points of bullet. These images don't do the renders justice.
    • We were given control of Cain Velasquez, Ben Henderson and Jon Jones' heads that were running in real-time on the EA UFC engine, and I don't really know what to say besides the level of detail they can show of these fighters is through the roof. They told us it was because of the fact that it was only two people on screen, rather than the ten plus refs in an NBA Live or Madden. Bruce Buffer was shown the faces right in front of us, and I couldn't make out everything he said, but his enthusiasm was at the level of a Dan Hardy intro.
    • The mat inside the Octagon gets appropriately disgusting. You see the water stains from the red and blue corner. Blood is in splotches, or drops, but it's very different from EA MMA or UFC 3, where the blood on the mats was slightly odd. It will be a smudge there, a pool here, or a collection of splatters. It's all very versatile and the diversity was rather shocking. I can't remember if it's in our interview below, but a fighter will react to blood in a fight like a real fighter would. If he's gushing like Carlos Condit vs. GSP, the fighter will wipe it out of his eye and face, smearing the blood.
    I can't recall much else, and I'm pretty sure Brian and Duke will think I did a pretty good job of committing all of this to memory while in the midst of a cornucopia of flashing lights, loud noises and booth babes. But, as a final, stamp, I want to reiterate a few things:
    • The planting of feet and the distribution of weight is amazing.
    • The facial damage is incredible.
    • The real time deformation is one of the most fascinating technological improvements I've ever seen. Since gaming has gone 3D, it's been 'floaty.' This changes everything.
    • As a fight goes on, the sweating, and veins bulging in a fighter is just so realistic it's weird.
    • Everything down to the tape on the gloves seems to shift. It's hard to explain, but you have to look at the character model as more of a complete being now. The shorts react to the fighter and the fighters actions, and I know that's nothing new, it's how it's implemented into this that makes it so different and awesome.

Advertisement