Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schmidt confirmed as new Irish coach and the villagers rejoiced (except trouttrout)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,833 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Swiwi wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I rather suspect there would be more focus on lashing the ABs for losing, rather than congratulating Ireland on their victory. The AB public tend to be relatively poor losers. In saying that, it would depend on the manner of victory. If NZ were poor, and Ireland were only a little less poor, the above would apply, but say NZ were great, and Ireland even greater, then the plaudits might well flow.

I personally think Ireland have a good chance, as I really think all AB resources will be focussed on beating England the week before. It will be in Ireland's interests that NZ wins handily enough against the English.

Cheers.

Should be an interesting enough encounter, plenty of intrIgue between then and now. I'm sure NZ are still smarting from losing to the Rosbif last year and will not want to lose two in a row against them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

5 questions for Joe

What will you do with Keith Earls?
    Will you keep SOB at 7?
    Who do you see as the longterm replacements for Darcy/BOD?
    Zebo, Gilroy, Bowe, Kearney - who misses out?
    Next prop off the rank?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Josef's reign of terror has begun!

Cower in his wake puny Paddies.

JRant wrote: »
    Cheers.

Should be an interesting enough encounter, plenty of intrIgue between then and now. I'm sure NZ are still smarting from losing to the Rosbif last year and will not want to lose two in a row against them.

Definitely not. And to then lose to Ireland would be unthinkable. Hence, why I think Ireland should hope for a NZ victory. With England vanquished, and half an eye on the beach/BBQs/beer, the scene would be set for an Irish ambush.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

5 questions for Joe

Will you keep SOB at 7?
    Next prop off the rank?

We probably know the answer to number 2, SOB at 7 is generally his choice when he plays for Leinster (think he actually played him there before Ireland did), having POM and Ferris at his disposal is unlikely to change that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

5 questions for Joe

Will you keep SOB at 7?
    Next prop off the rank?

Cave or Henshaw would be my stab at question 3b.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Tox56 wrote: »
    We probably know the answer to number 2, SOB at 7 is generally his choice when he plays for Leinster (think he actually played him there before Ireland did), having POM and Ferris at his disposal is unlikely to change that

If you give anexample of Leinster-Munster match where SOB was at 6 he was very quiet. He is never quiet when he plays 7. I think your right about it being Ireland that moved him to 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Coach for Leinster confirmed by end of week but Richie Murphy says no final decision made today but all signs point to the only person he mentioned in RTE interview who was Matt O'Connor.

Great day for Irish rugby and a new chapter for Leinster.

I wont expect miracles for the Autumn internationals but would hope for a good showing in the 6N and the push for the world cup is a real possibility to get into the last 4 and who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Actually thinking about the back 3 decision that will be fascinating and I can't wait to see what Schmidt comes up with. Zebo/Bowe/Gilroy/Kearney are the main men at the moment but Earls is an excellent 23 covering 11-15, and Fitzgerald is a player I'm sure he has a lot of time for given how well he fits in the Schmidt system

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Tox56 wrote: »
    Actually thinking about the back 3 decision that will be fascinating and I can't wait to see what Schmidt comes up with. Zebo/Bowe/Gilroy/Kearney are the main men at the moment but Earls is an excellent 23 covering 11-15, and Fitzgerald is a player I'm sure he has a lot of time for given how well he fits in the Schmidt system

For me I'd love to see Fitz, Zebo and Kearney as the back three. Fitz would work as he usually does, another pair of excellent hands into refix the defenses, Kearney as a strike runner, and Zebo causing headaches and getting behind that gain line. That has a lovely balance to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Schmidt on 2FM right now

EDIT: Donal Lenihan and Geordan Murphy now discussing

Definitely not. And to then lose to Ireland would be unthinkable. Hence, why I think Ireland should hope for a NZ victory. With England vanquished, and half an eye on the beach/BBQs/beer, the scene would be set for an Irish ambush.

Hopefully the star allign and we can ambush NZ ;)

Think it'll be horses for courses on a lot of the selections you mention.

I can see him going for a Henry type with SOB at 6 for away games, while reverting to POM in at 6 and Seanie at 7 for some home games (providing Fez in crock). Add in TOD, Jordi, Ruddock, Dippy, Lockie and a few others coming through the backrow should be in rude health.

Same for the wing spots.

Not sure about Earls to be honest. There's a few ahead of him on the wings and I'm not sure he's the type of 13 Joe likes but you never know.

Wrt props, it's hard to say. There's some good players coming through but there young and will need more exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Schmidt on 2FM right now

EDIT: Donal Lenihan and Geordan Murphy now discussing

Stream didn't work for me. Anything interesting said?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

.ak wrote: »

I didn't hear the Schmidt part but Donal Lenihan and Geordan Murphy gave the usual level of insight, "He's had Leinster playing really well and all the players speak highly of him." So nothing of note, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Nothing that hadnt been said earlier at the Press Conference (embeded below)

Lenihan and Murphy both endorsed the selection eluding to what everybody else has been saying really. Murphy didn't want to comment on MOC going to Leinster but said he was a great coach who would benefit any side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Made a few references to Plan Ireland and that he hoped it would resolve a lot of his concerns. Pretty much said that there would be changes to the player welfare system too, think the phrase he used was that they would "put a bit of science behind it".

He'll also travel to USA and Canada to observe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Made a few references to Plan Ireland and that he hoped it would resolve a lot of his concerns. Pretty much said that there would be changes to the player welfare system too, think the phrase he used was that they would "put a bit of science behind it".

He'll also travel to USA and Canada to observe.

you would think there was science behind it already. but then again looking at who was in charge of it before Joe. :pac:

JRant wrote: »

It's from the Associated Press, though, so probably Irish-authored. If an opinion article by a recognised Kiwi journalist appears in the NZ media, I'll post it on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

mfceiling wrote: »
    I can almost guarantee that the next irish coach will be someone irish and/or involved with irish rugby.

There is no way the blazers will look outside for a coach........i would nearly bank the house on this.

It wouldn't surprise me if brian mclaughlin, ruddock or even elwood got the offer.....seriously there isn't a snowballs chance of schmidt or someone of that level being offered the job. The blazers are too conservative and would baulk at the thought of an "outsider" getting the job. Mark my words...

You heard it here first folks.

Stay tuned for more of MF's insight and insider information.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

mfceiling wrote: »
    You heard it here first folks.

Stay tuned for more of MF's insight and insider information.

I wouldn't be too harsh on yourself, you can never rely on the IRFU to do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

danthefan wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too harsh on yourself, you can never rely on the IRFU to do the right thing.

Nothing would surprise me when it comes from the IRFU. I'm waiting for them to announce a contract extension for Schmidt until the 2019 World Cup before the end of the Rabo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Nothing would surprise me when it comes from the IRFU. I'm waiting for them to announce a contract extension for Schmidt until the 2019 World Cup before the end of the Rabo.

Well one can dream

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

IMO, I think his contract is a year too long. Unless he refused a contract that ended in 2015, it should have gone up to the World Cup and no further. Other than that, only the fact that he is leaving Leinster makes me in anyway not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

tolosenc wrote: »
    IMO, I think his contract is a year too long. Unless he refused a contract that ended in 2015, it should have gone up to the World Cup and no further. Other than that, only the fact that he is leaving Leinster makes me in anyway not happy.

Completely disagree. As far as I'm concerned the world cup cycle does not end with the World Cup, but rather with the finalising of the next rankings the following November.

If he's brutal it means a new coach will come in free to do what needs to be done, rather than under the thumb of WC Rankings.

I tend to agree. However, I'd be pretty certain that Joe's a man of honour, so if Ireland have a RWC nightmare, I think he'd resign. But I don't see that happening - if he reaches a RWC 1/4 final, he's already equalled all previous attempts, one step further and it's folklore. The key match is the pool encounter with France (assuming both sides beat Italy) - win that and it's probably Argentina, or maybe Tonga in the 1/4 final. Finish second in the pool, and it's probably NZ. Now I must say if Ireland knocked NZ out in the 1/4 finals there would be a fair amount of irony, and I'm sure "choke" would trend on twitter.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/news/newsid=2064686.html

Have you learned nothing at all from EOS and Kidney? Ended up in a situation where they were negotiating their next contracts and getting extensions before the RWC, which is madness.

I get really annoyed that people think we should base everything on a competition which, being honest, we are highly unlikely to win.

Completely disagree. As far as I'm concerned the world cup cycle does not end with the World Cup, but rather with the finalising of the next rankings the following November.

If he's brutal it means a new coach will come in free to do what needs to be done, rather than under the thumb of WC Rankings.

...if only you had spoken those soothing words to the NZ public in 91. And 95. And 99. And 03. And 07. But sure, we were delighted with our number 1 ranking the following November :)

NB: just to be clear, I'm being sarcastic...

danthefan wrote: »
    Have you learned nothing at all from EOS and Kidney? Ended up in a situation where they were negotiating their next contracts and getting extensions before the RWC, which is madness.

But surely Dan, all contract negotiations should be held back until post-RWC? If it's disaster, there are no contract negotiations, and if it's a success, then it's a mere formality.

• Advertisement

...if only you had spoken those soothing words to the NZ public in 91. And 95. And 99. And 03. And 07. But sure, we were delighted with our number 1 ranking the following November :)

I know your post is lighthearted but obviously NZ and Ireland have very different expectations going into a RWC. A gallant defeat in the knockout stages would basically be good enough for us.

Advertisement