Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schmidt confirmed as new Irish coach and the villagers rejoiced (except trouttrout)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

rrpc wrote: »
    Thread title needs editing ;)

updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

updated

My confidence in the mods is shaken! twice now my posts have been edited to convey something I didn't say! :D

trouttrout wrote: »
    My confidence in the mods is shaken! twice now my posts have been edited to convey something I didn't say! :D

are you happy now then

are you happy now then

4 more years for Kidney! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Delighted for Joe and his family. He deserves the top job and he will have more time with his family which is great.

I'm also delighted for Irish rugby as a whole. There is absolutely no doubt that Joe brought Leinster from one of the best teams in Europe under Cheika to being arguably the greatest European side of all time. The rugby we played under his management was akin to watching the All Blacks, just superb - and as Blue tinted as my glasses always are, I honestly don't think that's an exageration.

I hope he is given free reign with Ireland and picks the best and most exciting players and I don't think he'll play any of the IRFU politics. He is a world class coach and I look forward to being excited to support Ireland again.

As a Leinster fan, I'm of course very disappointed to lose someone of Joes quality, but my joy for him and Irish rugby as a whole does outweigh it.

Best of luck Joe and thank you for all of the amazing memories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The fact that Joe and Jonny will continue to work together is huge IMO. And imagine what we'll see from Zebo in a Joe side. I'm actually giddy with excitement and the announcement of the worst kept secret in Irish rugby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

[Jackass] wrote: »
    arguably the greatest European side of all time.

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

A day of mixed emotions happy for Ireland sad for Leinster. Thanks for the last three seasons Joe.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Now that he has been confirmed, why can't Joe take the players on their summer tour instead of Kiss?

I think I've asked before, but can't remember the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

awec wrote: »
    Now that he has been confirmed, why can't Joe take the players on their summer tour instead of Kiss?

There is a lot if work that needs to be done for the summer tour, and Joe has a very busy couple of weeks coming up with Leinster. He doesn't have the time.

I would like to see him travel with them tho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

IBF had a very good answer to that question
    It has absolutely nothing to do with fairness. Schmidt should not take the summer tour.

He will have just worked nearly 11 moths straight and will be making a massive change in his life. He has a lot of stuff to manage at home. He will be leaving his job since 2010 at short notice and will no doubt be asked to help find his successor. Or at least to prepare some form of handover to whoever the successor is (I'm sure the IRFU will let him spend some extra time with Leinster in preseason to help with the handover).

Meanwhile that tour is already underway in that Kiss and Smal are already preparing for it. It is a lot of work that doesn't just start when they arrive in the States. So that workload is a workload that would have to be put on Schmidt as well. All while he is trying to win the Pro 12 and Amlin.

So no, he should not 100% take the summer tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 badnewsbear

First of all great appointment by IRFU. Any idea who Is going to be backroom team. Heard that johno Gibbs and Greg feeks may be staying on at Leinster with new coach who is rumoured to be matt o Connor at Leicester

:D:D:D:D

Not sure why that's funny. Plenty of neutral pundits were saying that after the HEC win last year.

Joe will have enough on his plate with Leinster to be able to do the squad selection and all the necessary prep work for the tour. He'll probably be involved in some way, shape or form though.

decisions wrote: »
    I would like to see him travel with them tho.

Him travelling would cause to much distraction and could undermine the decision of the coaches so can't see him travelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

What's the point of sending Kiss for the tour? Plenty of time for Schmidt, its a tour against second tier nations. If Kiss is being kept on maybe there'd be some grounds for it

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Great news. Exciting times to be an Irish fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

Brilliant news, as others have stated i'm dying to see Ireland play in the autumn internationals now (i know Rome wasnt built in a day but still ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

He was the obvious selection and I'm delighted that he looked for it and got it. Truely deserved. Looking forward to more success for the for Irish team.

Best of Luck Joe and the IRFU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

thiarfearr wrote: »
    What's the point of sending Kiss for the tour? Plenty of time for Schmidt, its a tour against second tier nations. If Kiss is being kept on maybe there'd be some grounds for it
    Read the quote above from irishbucsfan. It's not possible within the time frame, Kiss and the others have already been working on this for some time.

Joe's schedule for Leinster will take him right into June. Does the man not deserve a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I don't have the words to express my delight. This will have to do for now:

GOALKEEPER-CELEBRATION.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

jones wrote: »
    Brilliant news, as others have stated i'm dying to see Ireland play in the autumn internationals now (i know Rome wasnt built in a day but still ha)

against New Zealand. mmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Happy with my green cap on, sad with my blue one.

Delighted for Joe though

Just put 20 snots on Ireland to win next years six nations at 6/1!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

What's with the S-c-h-i-m-t in the new title?

Is it an in joke or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Good day for Irish rugby, bad day for Leinster fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

From one Kiwi to another "Good luck, Joe!".

I wish you every success...(please let's not bring a certain game in November into the mix)

Yours,
    Swiwi

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm not so sure it's all that sad a day for Leinster fans. Schmidt was always leaving the club after his present tenure and many had resigned themselves to this unfortunate but understandable decision. All that's really changed are (1) his departure has been brought forward a year and (2) rather than return to New Zealand (which looked odds on, only a few months ago), he will be taking the reigns of the National Team. So it's not as if Leinster's medium-to-long-term course has been drastically altered by this appointment, and the sweetener of Schmidt taking charge of Ireland should really be enough to cheer up anybody who might be feeling a bit blue, if you'll pardon the expression ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'll take three years of Joe having access to Leinster players with Ireland over just more year at Leinster, so even as a Leinster fan I'm not disappointed by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure it's all that sad a day for Leinster fans. Schmidt was always leaving the club after his present tenure and many had resigned themselves to this unfortunate but understandable decision. All that's really changed are (1) his departure has been brought forward a year and (2) rather than return to New Zealand (which looked odds on, only a few months ago), he will be taking the reigns of the National Team. So it's not as if Leinster's medium-to-long-term course has been drastically altered by this appointment, and the sweetener of Schmidt taking charge of Ireland should really be enough to cheer up anybody who might be feeling a bit blue, if you'll pardon the expression ;)

It's a fair point although I'm sure Leinster would have preferred a long notice period to line up a new coach (as they had when Schmidt came in to replace Cheika). They will be doing well to get anyone in the same class as Joe Schmidt.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'll take three years of Joe having access to Leinster players with Ireland over just more year at Leinster, so even as a Leinster fan I'm not disappointed by this.

Between the short notice period and the inevitable reduced exposure to Joe I'll have as a fan (he always made time to stop and talk to fans be it in the RDS, Donnybrook for the A games or wherever) there is still a little twinge of sadness at this announcement. But obviously the overriding feeling is positive.

Advertisement