Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schmidt confirmed as new Irish coach and the villagers rejoiced (except trouttrout)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

On BOD: "I'd certainly like to put some pressure on. The thing with Brian is that he's very much his own man. I'd like to see him continue."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

molloyjh wrote: »
    Missed it. Bloody work....

Anything of note come out of it?

Nothing.

Joe looked nervous but pleased. No news on a coaching team or if he is going on the US Tour. He would love it if Drico did another year, he said he had plants in the RDS on Saturday who started the 'One More Year' chant :).

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

What did he say at the very end? Something like "jeez this is a lot tougher than before"?

edit: hotter, not tougher!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Hagz wrote: »
    I like how he said BOD was pushing him towards the Irish role. I'd say Schmidt getting the Irish job will play a massive part in O'Driscoll's decision to stay on.

Well BOD said it himself, Joe's the "best coach" he's ever played under, for me that's more encouraging than Leinster style of play under Joe or them being the best passing team in Europe. Put into perspective, BOD is once of, if not the best Irish man to play rugby and his respect for Joe shows just how good a coach he really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

What did he say at the very end? Something like "jeez this is a lot tougher than before"?

I think he said the room was a lot hotter than he's used to. Or the questions were a lot hotter than he's used to. Or the women asking the questions were a lot hotter than he's used to. Something was definitely hotter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

Sounded to me like 'it's a lot hotter than before' but could have been tougher

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

I though he said something about it being hotter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Excellent appointment. Now I would expect to remain on for one more year at international and club level based in no small way on this appointment. The pressure is on Joe to bring home a 6 nations title next year, as he is very familiar with most of the players and has won the HK with half of them, theres also plenty of time between now and the next 6 nations campaign for him to settle in, so for me, 2014 coming 5 years since our last cam,paign success should herald a new era and a championship for Ireland, if it doesnt he can have no excuses. I wish him the best of luck and i believe he can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Kayless wrote: »
    I though he said something about it being hotter :pac:

SCHMIDT OFFICIALLY DECLARES IT THE START OF THE SUMMER. IRELAND REJOICES.

Edit: Conor George article tomorrow I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Kayless wrote: »
    Well BOD said it himself, Joe's the "best coach" he's ever played under for me that more encouraging than Leinster style of play or them being the best passing team in Europe. Put into perspective, BOD is once of if not the best Irish man to play rugby and his respect for Joe shows just how good a coach he really is.

The thing about international level is that Joe won't be doing much hands on coaching although he strikes me as someone who knows howget the best out of his players.
    Wish him all the best and hopefully a few guys will up their game once they are wearing the green shirt. A completely new coaching team should rejuvenate the entire team.
    It will be interesting to see when the coaching team is announced as he will be tied up with Leinster for the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Lyaiera wrote: »
    SCHMIDT OFFICIALLY DECLARES IT THE START OF THE SUMMER. IRELAND REJOICES*.

Edit: Conor George article tomorrow I'm guessing.
    *except trouttrout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

heybaby wrote: »
    Excellent appointment. Now I would expect to remain on for one more year at international and club level based in no small way on this appointment. The pressure is on Joe to bring home a 6 nations title next year, as he is very familiar with most of the players and has won the HK with half of them, theres also plenty of time between now and the next 6 nations campaign for him to settle in, so for me, 2014 coming 5 years since our last cam,paign success should herald a new era and a championship for Ireland, if it doesnt he can have no excuses. I wish him the best of luck and i believe he can do it.

No pressure Joe!!!

Personally would prefer to build to RWC 2015 which is across the pond so I expect it to be more high profile then the last one. If that means finishing 2nd or 3rd next year in the 6N with a good gameplan and more of an actual squad as opposed the the first XV no matter what!! Then that for me would be progress. That might be just me though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

heybaby wrote: »

I wouldn't say that, I would however have pressure on for four wins be that a championship or runners up isn't too important but four wins out of five would make me very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

One thing I think Joe will guarantee is that the team will improve year on year while under his guidance. Something which did not happen under previous management.

At 28/1, there are worse bets for the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'm. Just. So. Bloody. Happy.

He's the right man at the right time IMO.

I think he'll want to turn Ireland into the best passing team in the NH. He might not have the same amount of time with the players but the Irish camp get together for enough time to get the job done.

He's also a brilliant tactician, which is sometimes overlooked.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Interesting that he mentioned that he wanted to get Kiss into the Leinster set-up when he arrived first. I didn't know about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

JRant wrote: »
    I'm. Just. So. Bloody. Happy.

He's the right man at the right time IMO.

I think he'll want to turn Ireland into the best passing team in the NH. He might not have the same amount of time with the players but the Irish camp get together for enough time to get the job done.

He's also a brilliant tactician, which is sometimes overlooked.

Agreed, his gameplan in the away game in Clermont when Leinster were missing most of their backline was nothing sort of class, nearly paid dividends too!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

citizen_cane.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

So now that Schmidt has been installed, will the Leinster players and supporters finally put up and shut the hell up about the game plans not being good enough if the team falls flat on its ass....for too long too many Leinster players have played with more passion and pride in the blue jersey than the green...will they finally deliver on an international stage...i hope to god a Munster, Connacht or Ulster player stands up at the first get together and ask the question Kearney asked in 2008 of the Munster players....When will Leinster players show the same pride in the green jeresy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

brinty wrote: »
    So now that Schmidt has been installed, will the Leinster players and supporters finally put up and shut the hell up about the game plans not being good enough if the team falls flat on its ass....for too long too many Leinster players have played with more passion and pride in the blue jersey than the green...will they finally deliver on an international stage...i hope to god a Munster, Connacht or Ulster player stands up at the first get together and ask the question Kearney asked in 2008 of the Munster players....When will Leinster players show the same pride in the green jeresy

Please don't start that crap and please read the charter

• Advertisement

Agreed, his gameplan in the away game in Clermont when Leinster were missing most of their backline was nothing sort of class, nearly paid dividends too!

There are so many examples of it, the final against Northhampton showed he had a plan A, plan B and plan C all in place before the game.
    Even last weekends result against Biarritz showed just how clinical he is at analysing the opposition and explioting their weaknesses. Heaslip's first try off the lineout was a thing of beauty and simplicity but it worked because Joe identified a weakness and put a play together to target it.

I don't expect him to work miracles but I can see all the players buying in to his ideas, something that I feel wasn't happening under DK over the past couple of seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭eire4

Great appointment for Irish Rugby. He knows the game and the players we have and has shown himself to be very adept tactically during his time at Leinster. Lets hope Leinster can give him a great send off over the next month and finish his Leinster time on a real high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

There are so many examples of it, the final against Northhampton showed he had a plan A, plan B and plan C all in place before the game.
    Even last weekends result against Biarritz showed just how clinical he is at analysing the opposition and explioting their weaknesses. Heaslip's first try off the lineout was a thing of beauty and simplicity but it worked because Joe identified a weakness and put a play together to target it.

I don't expect him to work miracles but I can see all the players buying in to his ideas, something that I feel wasn't happening under DK over the past couple of seasons.

The try we scored last year in Bordeaux is another great example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

jacothelad wrote: »
    Great news. A word of caution though. What was the reaction to Deccie's appointment in 2008? Was there national jubilation?

Bit glass half empty there, Jaco.

The sun is shining outside, and the boards rugby forum is delirious.

I'm pretty optimistic myself, already quite intrigued to see what squad the new boss unveils for the AIs.

Off the top of my head, Ireland have Wales, Scotland & Italy at home next 6N, so that's 3 must-win games, and then at least 1 victory over the Frogs or les Rosbif would round out a pretty handy 6Ns.

Added to the defeats of Samoa & Aussie, and a narrow loss to NZ in the AIs, and it will be a great start...

The try we scored last year in Bordeaux is another great example.

It really was, add in the one against Bath off the lineout as well.

When you look at the players across all the provinces he can absolutely get us playing a great brand of rugby.
    We know the Leinster lads can do it, now he has POC, Zebo, Best, Gilroy, TOMMY BOOOOWE, Henshaw, Henderson, , Marmion, Marshall, Olding and Co. Just thinking of that, I'm going to have a cold shower.

Swiwi wrote: »
    Bit glass half empty there, Jaco.

The sun is shining outside, and the boards rugby forum is delirious.

I'm pretty optimistic myself, already quite intrigued to see what squad the new boss unveils for the AIs.

Off the top of my head, Ireland have Wales, Scotland & Italy at home next 6N, so that's 3 must-win games, and then at least 1 victory over the Frogs or les Rosbif would round out a pretty handy 6Ns.

Added to the defeats of Samoa & Aussie, and a narrow loss to NZ in the AIs, and it will be a great start...

Spot on, time for a bit of optomism but we need to be realistic in our expectations as well.

As a matter of interest, IF (and it's a big if) he was to lead Ireland to a first ever victory over the AB's, how do you think it would to received back in the land of the long white cloud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Spot on, time for a bit of optomism but we need to be realistic in our expectations as well.

As a matter of interest, IF (and it's a big if) he was to lead Ireland to a first ever victory over the AB's, how do you think it would to received back in the land of the long white cloud?

Unfortunately, I rather suspect there would be more focus on lashing the ABs for losing, rather than congratulating Ireland on their victory. The AB public tend to be relatively poor losers. In saying that, it would depend on the manner of victory. If NZ were poor, and Ireland were only a little less poor, the above would apply, but say NZ were great, and Ireland even greater, then the plaudits might well flow.

I personally think Ireland have a good chance, as I really think all AB resources will be focussed on beating England the week before. It will be in Ireland's interests that NZ wins handily enough against the English.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Really looking forward to the next Ireland game now (well, the AIs anyway), been a long long time since I could say that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I don't have the words to express my delight. This will have to do for now:

GOALKEEPER-CELEBRATION.gif

That's always the problem when you swallow a spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tox56 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to the next Ireland game now (well, the AIs anyway), been a long long time since I could say that

Yep! I'll have to retake my spot for the next few games after giving my ticket away for about 2 years in a row!

Advertisement