Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schmidt confirmed as new Irish coach and the villagers rejoiced (except trouttrout)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

rrpc wrote: »
    Read the quote above from irishbucsfan. It's not possible within the time frame, Kiss and the others have already been working on this for some time.

Joe's schedule for Leinster will take him right into June. Does the man not deserve a break?

There's plenty of time, how do coaches pick things up when they're installed mid-season? As for a break, Ireland don't play again until November, and I'd imagine Joe might want to be involved anyway. Its not as if he has to prepare for a world cup, its the US and Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

thiarfearr wrote: »
    There's plenty of time, how do coaches pick things up when they're installed mid-season? As for a break, Ireland don't play again until November, and I'd imagine Joe might want to be involved anyway. Its not as if he has to prepare for a world cup, its the US and Canada

I'd rather he took the time off tbh. He's had a tough 3 years with Leinster, he deserves a break. Also Kiss probably deserves to redeem his name a little, and the experience may stand to him.

It is US and Canada as you say, and so we don't really need the best coach there for that....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Skid X wrote: »
    It's a fair point although I'm sure Leinster would have preferred a long notice period to line up a new coach (as they had when Schmidt came in to replace Cheika). They will be doing well to get anyone in the same class as Joe Schmidt.

True enough, though you'd imagine that their risk-management strategy would have been to monitor Kidney's continuing performance as Irish HC, given Schmidt would likely be the outstanding candidate in the event of the former's replacement. I would be very surprised and very disappointed with Leinster's administration if this hit them like a bolt out of the blue (again, pardon the expression).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

The thought of Schmidt coaching the likes of Gilroy, Zebo, Marshall and Earls is mouthwatering. My only worry will be how Schmidt copes with the reduced access to players that comes with the Irish job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The thought of Schmidt coaching the likes of Gilroy, Zebo, Marshall and Earls is mouthwatering. My only worry will be how Schmidt copes with the reduced access to players that comes with the Irish job.

I'd imagine we won't see any globetrotter stuff anyway. Probably a case of simple but very effective set piece moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

15: Kearney/Zebo/Fitzgerald/Jones
    14: Bowe/Gilroy/McFadden
    13: BOD...if anyone can get another year out of him it's Schmidt.
    12: Marshall/Madigan/Darcy
    11: Zebo/Earls/Fitzgerald/Trimble

The future couldn't be brighter! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Does anyone know if the press conference will be on the radio or tv? Soundcard on my laptop is in a jock so I won't be able to stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Any chance the mods could correct the title. No idea who Schimt is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Any chance the mods could correct the title. No idea who Schimt is.

they mightn't want to upset trouttrout :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

jimjamcos wrote: »
    15: Kearney/Zebo/Fitzgerald/Jones
    14: Bowe/Gilroy/McFadden
    13: BOD...if anyone can get another year out of him it's Schmidt.
    12: Marshall/Madigan/Darcy
    11: Zebo/Earls/Fitzgerald/Trimble

The future couldn't be brighter! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

victory-baby-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Does anyone know if the press conference will be on the radio or tv? Soundcard on my laptop is in a jock so I won't be able to stream.

It'll be on RTE News Now, if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭OldRio

On RTE News Channel now

Press Conference starting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

where on rte news?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

where on rte news?

rte news now (channel 200 upc) also available online

where on rte news?

News Now, Channel 200 on UPC Digital. It's also on Saorview but not Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Sh*te, only have Sky. Cheers anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Excited and worried all at the same time.

I'm sure hell do a good job and not do a kidney but picking another coach who managed a province kinda makes the irfu look weak. They have went for the obvious and safe option. Remember how good kidney was going to be after a good spell at Munster? Hopefully he does good for the sake of Irish Rugby.

No assistants named, and he doesn't want to speculate on his new coaching team for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

So Schmidt is travelling on the tour?

trouttrout wrote: »
    So Schmidt is travelling on the tour?

The hack who asked the question implied it that he would be (strangely), but Joe didn't answer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

He seems positive on BOD...YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

On BOD, "he's put some pressure on me"

Seems to imply that BOD was egging him on to take Ireland job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I like how he said BOD was pushing him towards the Irish role. I'd say Schmidt getting the Irish job will play a massive part in O'Driscoll's decision to stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Missed it. Bloody work....

Anything of note come out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

In Joe we trust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hagz wrote: »
    I like how he said BOD was pushing him towards the Irish role. I'd say Schmidt getting the Irish job will play a massive part in O'Driscoll's decision to stay on.

I like the sound of that. :)

Advertisement