Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schmidt confirmed as new Irish coach and the villagers rejoiced (except trouttrout)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Excellent appointment. The outstanding candidate for the job. I look forward to the shape he puts on the team, lots of good youngsters about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

danthefan wrote: »
    I know your post is lighthearted but obviously NZ and Ireland have very different expectations going into a RWC. A gallant defeat in the knockout stages would basically be good enough for us.

But it doesn't have to be. Ireland have beaten France before, and the game will be on neutral territory. The Irish fans support their teams fantastically well, maybe the best in the world, just look at the numbers who travelled to Euro 2012, even though the Irish soccer team was on a hiding to nothing. And the HEC game is amazing the way fans find all sorts of ways to get tickets and support the provinces. I'm sure whatever stadium Ire & Fra play in will be awash with green. Win that game, and Ireland will probably face Argentina in a 1/4 final - once again definitely winnable. Then it's a semi with Aussie, Eng or Wales. I agree that would be extremely tough, even NZ would not be confident, but those teams will have had an arduous pool, maybe shipped some injuries, and as NZ well knows anything can happen in knockout matches. Ireland should dare to dream.

And yes, I was being deprecating, it's impossible these days to support the ABs at RWC without a gallows sense of humour. Heck, we even just about blew a final on home soil at Eden Park where we hadn't lost since 1994 against a French team that couldn't beat Tonga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Swiwi wrote: »
    But it doesn't have to be. Ireland have beaten France before, and the game will be on neutral territory. The Irish fans support their teams fantastically well, maybe the best in the world, just look at the numbers who travelled to Euro 2012, even though the Irish soccer team was on a hiding to nothing. And the HEC game is amazing the way fans find all sorts of ways to get tickets and support the provinces. I'm sure whatever stadium Ire & Fra play in will be awash with green. Win that game, and Ireland will probably face Argentina in a 1/4 final - once again definitely winnable. Then it's a semi with Aussie, Eng or Wales. I agree that would be extremely tough, even NZ would not be confident, but those teams will have had an arduous pool, maybe shipped some injuries, and as NZ well knows anything can happen in knockout matches. Ireland should dare to dream.

And yes, I was being deprecating, it's impossible these days to support the ABs at RWC without a gallows sense of humour. Heck, we even just about blew a final on home soil at Eden Park where we hadn't lost since 1994 against a French team that couldn't beat Tonga.

The path you've laid out there for Ireland, it's certainly possible to make a final maybe but I'd still say the chances of winning the thing are obviously very slim. Honestly, if we play a SF against Aus a give a good account of ourselves, I can accept that. We didn't do that at all against Wales last time out, which was bitterly disappointing. I just don't think Ireland need to be working on RWC cycles, that's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Now I must say if Ireland knocked NZ out in the 1/4 finals there would be a fair amount of irony, and I'm sure "choke" would trend on twitter.

Well, it'll have been over 12 World Cup games without choking at that stage, so you'd be well overdue...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

.ak wrote: »
    Stream didn't work for me. Anything interesting said?

You can listen back to the 2FM interview with Schmidt here

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=1%3A20196065%3A0%3A%3A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The path you've laid out there for Ireland, it's certainly possible to make a final maybe but I'd still say the chances of winning the thing are obviously very slim. Honestly, if we play a SF against Aus a give a good account of ourselves, I can accept that. We didn't do that at all against Wales last time out, which was bitterly disappointing. I just don't think Ireland need to be working on RWC cycles, that's my point.

Don't agree with this, why shouldn't we aim to win? We aren't so far behind other international teams (with the exception of NZ) that we should be content with a moral victory or anything like that. In the last 5 games we've played against the Aussies, they've only beaten us twice. If Leinster were going into a H Cup semi-final I would never be content with simply a "good effort", I'd want a win. Ireland aren't the Leinster of intl. rugby I know, but we are perfectly capable of mixing it with anyone, particularly in a one off game (again, NZ possibly accepted)

Yeah I agree, the RWC is great but it has completely changed the dynamic of rugby - for the worse. All these experimental selections, resting of players etc in the leadup completely devalues the game. And like yourself, I was disappointed in the display v Wales.

However, let's not get away from this being the thread about a new coach for Ireland, which seems full of promise, and I really hope Joe delivers the goods - just not in November v NZ - but otherwise as much as possible!

Tox56 wrote: »
    Don't agree with this, why shouldn't we aim to win? We aren't so far behind other international teams (with the exception of NZ) that we should be content with a moral victory or anything like that. In the last 5 games we've played against the Aussies, they've only beaten us twice. If Leinster were going into a H Cup semi-final I would never be content with simply a "good effort", I'd want a win. Ireland aren't the Leinster of intl. rugby I know, but we are perfectly capable of mixing it with anyone, particularly in a one off game (again, NZ possibly accepted)

NZ are like any team - liable to fold under pressure. Only in 91 were they definitely not the best, although you could debate 99 & 03. If it weren't for their tough draw, I would favour Eng to win 2015, but I definitely am not confident about NZ repeating their 2011 success. One of Schmidt's biggest challenges is to get Ireland believing they can beat any team on their day. It's a widely held belief in NZ (and I think several key matches prove it) that the Celtic Nations don't quite think they can beat NZ, and fade with the finishing line in site. Eng always believe they can beat anybody, which is why I never take them lightly. If Schmidt can instil genuine self-belief, that's half his job done. Ireland has some world class players, some other very good ones, and although injuries can be crucial, should be winning more matches than they have been doing. Ireland should aim to make the Aviva a fortress, which it definitely isn't at the moment, home games in the 6N should be considered non-negotiable victories. Here's hoping anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Looking forward to some exciting rugby and hopefully a little consistency going into next season.

Plenty of young talent coming tough for Joe to influence.

Excited to see what impact he can have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Have you learned nothing at all from EOS and Kidney? Ended up in a situation where they were negotiating their next contracts and getting extensions before the RWC, which is madness.

I get really annoyed that people think we should base everything on a competition which, being honest, we are highly unlikely to win.

I truly despise the focus on the RWC. You have people suggesting Ireland sacrifice 6N to prepare for it when out success rate in the 6N is frankly pathetic and is by far the more important tournament. I'd take a 6N win over anything except a RWC win, which is completely unlikely to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I know your post is lighthearted but obviously NZ and Ireland have very different expectations going into a RWC. A gallant defeat in the knockout stages would basically be good enough for us.

Not for me. I actually believe that that sort of thinking is the reason we often don't do as well as we should. We have the players to win a World Cup but the nature of the competition needs you to run with a bit of luck. It will happen eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Teferi wrote: »
    Not for me. I actually believe that that sort of thinking is the reason we often don't do as well as we should. We have the players to win a World Cup but the nature of the competition needs you to run with a bit of luck. It will happen eventually.

I too don't like the notion of sacrificing a six nations to prepare for a world cup. We simply don't have the squad for it. On our day we have the players to beat anybody but in order to win one we'd have to have our starting fifteen fit and firing on all cylinders for the entire tournament. It's just not feasible.

Bigger teams like NZ, SA, France and England can rotate their squads without dropping too much in quality. Teams like us and Wales probably have a starting fifteen as good as most of them but the second anyone gets injured we usually have a sizeable drop in quality when moving to the second choice in most positions. England could field their second choice pack and they'd still beat up most teams. If we fielded our second choice pack we'd be in serious trouble in an international test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Strange that this point hasn't been made yet, but the only NH team to win a RWC did so after winning a 6 Nations Grand Slam.

Surely the only way to build to a successful world cup is to compete strongly in the 6 Nations anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

molloyjh wrote: »
    Strange that this point hasn't been made yet, but the only NH team to win a RWC did so after winning a 6 Nations Grand Slam.

Surely the only way to build to a successful world cup is to compete strongly in the 6 Nations anyway?

good point there are two 6N between now and next world cup. So we should aim to win GS in 2015 and then top it off with W/C semi (at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Good interview here. He discusses some of his plans for Irish rugby.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/matchdaytv?play=media&id=15235

It's from the Associated Press, though, so probably Irish-authored. If an opinion article by a recognised Kiwi journalist appears in the NZ media, I'll post it on boards.

As promised...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/8616059/Schmidt-from-Palmerston-North-to-Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

They need it, having finished last in the Six Nations and slipped to ninth on the world rankings, which saw Declan Kidney removed and Schmidt head off Australians Les Kiss and Ewen McKenzie for the role.

I've blocked out that 6n, but did we lose a place somewhere. :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

errlloyd wrote: »
    I've blocked out that 6n, but did we lose a place somewhere. :P
    joint last on points makes the article more sensationalist to simply call it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

if he gets Ireland playing anything like leinster , it will be a joy supporting Ireland - best of luck - lets hope for a WC semi (sometime in my lifetime - could BOD &POC be still playing - they deserve to be part of history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Tox56 wrote: »
    ... Ireland aren't the Leinster of intl. rugby ...

Which is something that appointing Schmidt will make the average fan think unfortunately. IMO Schmidt was the only man for the job. I'm looking forward to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Have you learned nothing at all from EOS and Kidney? Ended up in a situation where they were negotiating their next contracts and getting extensions before the RWC, which is madness.

I get really annoyed that people think we should base everything on a competition which, being honest, we are highly unlikely to win.
    Spot on. The important things are the 6 Nations, ERC and rabo.

Advertisement