Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schmidt confirmed as new Irish coach and the villagers rejoiced (except trouttrout)

Options
  • 27-04-2013 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

from IT's

Great news

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/irfu-expected-to-name-schmidt-as-coach-next-week-1.1375417?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The IRFU are expected to confirm Joe Schmidt as the new Ireland coach by Wednesday.

“I think they (the IRFU) are trying to get things done pretty soon,” said Schmidt after Leinster’s 44-16 defeat of Biarritz at the RDS to reach the Amlin Challenge cup final against Stade Francais on May 17th, again, in Dublin.

“Whoever it is going to be, I’m not sure who else they are talking to, but we have had a couple of chats, but there is nothing definitive. I hope one way or the other that there is something definitive by early next week.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I love the way the IRFU are saying nothing and Schmidt is saying "yeah, I've got the job".

Not the typical "yes man" that permeates the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

tolosenc wrote: »
    I love the way the IRFU are saying nothing and Schmidt is saying "yeah, I've got the job".

Not the typical "yes man" that permeates the IRFU.

Looks to me like he said everything but that!

I do love his handling of the media though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From that quote I don't see where Schmidt says he think he has it. To me he's acknowledged that he's been interviewed and still has to wait on the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

if he has, then he should lead the summer tour, there is no point in having the wrong dog barking, it should be used as a get to know you, while telling them the game he wants them to play.

flutered wrote: »
    if he has, then he should lead the summer tour, there is no point in having the wrong dog barking, it should be used as a get to know you, while telling them the game he wants them to play.

This has already been covered elsewhere. No way anyone but Kiss should take the summer tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

This has already been covered elsewhere. No way anyone but Kiss should take the summer tour.

Now that he's been given it yes, but it was silly to give it to him in the first place

Tox56 wrote: »
    Now that he's been given it yes, but it was silly to give it to him in the first place

Even if he hadn't it'd be a bad idea to give it to Schmidt. Wouldn't be fair at all. Someone else has to do it. And I think Kiss is the best option available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

great choice - big loss to leinster but sure Dawson will choose someone equally good - what happened to all the , he's returning to NZ definitly , I'm certainly not surprised , he seams to like Ireland , and if the right offer was made . More excited now by Irish rugby since the heady days of early BOD ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

thebaz wrote: »
    great choice - big loss to leinster but sure Dawson will choose someone equally good - what happened to all the , he's returning to NZ definitly , I'm certainly not surprised , he seams to like Ireland , and if the right offer was made . More excited now by Irish rugby since the heady days of early BOD ;-)

He said on the Late Late he would be returning to NZ unless he got the Irish job to spend more time with family etc. etc., but he said he'd stay if the Ireland job was offered to him because he could spend more time with them here as the Irish job isn't 6 days a week etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If he is appointed by Wednesday he should 100% take the summer tout. Its an invaluable chance to see some of the fringe players.

Fairness shouldn't come in to it, I'd feel for Kiss but he was just a caretaker at the end of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

.ak wrote: »
    He said on the Late Late he would be returning to NZ unless he got the Irish job to spend more time with family etc. etc., but he said he'd stay if the Ireland job was offered to him because he could spend more time with them here as the Irish job isn't 6 days a week etc.

I interpreted it differently to that, I thought he was saying that the Irish job had appeal because it would allow him to spend more time with his son whos unwell. Didn't think that had anything to do with his family back in New Zealand. Maybe I'm wrong though.

If he is appointed by Wednesday he should 100% take the summer tout. Its an invaluable chance to see some of the fringe players.

Fairness shouldn't come in to it, I'd feel for Kiss but he was just a caretaker at the end of the day

It has absolutely nothing to do with fairness. Schmidt should not take the summer tour.

He will have just worked nearly 11 moths straight and will be making a massive change in his life. He has a lot of stuff to manage at home. He will be leaving his job since 2010 at short notice and will no doubt be asked to help find his successor. Or at least to prepare some form of handover to whoever the successor is (I'm sure the IRFU will let him spend some extra time with Leinster in preseason to help with the handover).

Meanwhile that tour is already underway in that Kiss and Smal are already preparing for it. It is a lot of work that doesn't just start when they arrive in the States. So that workload is a workload that would have to be put on Schmidt as well. All while he is trying to win the Pro 12 and Amlin.

So no, he should not 100% take the summer tour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

So no, he should not 100% take the summer tour.
    Agreed that said he should have input into the tour even if he doesn't run it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Declan Kidney didn't take the 2008 Summer tour to Nz and Oz which was a smart move as he was so busy with Munster. Don't see why it should be any different for Schmidt.

Definitely. And if he wants to go over and attend games or anything the IRFU should cover that for him. But I'd like to think they'd put no pressure on him to do anything like that and just gave him time to get himself sorted, which I'm sure they will.

I'd say Kiss will communicate with him anyway. There's rumours he might stay on under Schmidt as defense coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There's rumours he might stay on under Schmidt as defense coach.

That's not something I'd have a problem with.

His effectiveness as a coach went downhill after he took on more than the defensive coach role. In that job though, he's top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Agreed. That said, he should have input into the tour, even if he doesn't run it

FYP. (I think.)
    Please, if you want readers to understand what you mean, punctuate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

I'd be concerned this would result in kiss's authority being undermined for the tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

wittycynic wrote: »
    I'd be concerned this would result in kiss's authority being undermined for the tour.

Is that sarcasm? If not... Who cares? What does it matter how much authority Kiss has?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

FYP. (I think.)
    Please, if you want readers to understand what you mean, punctuate it!

Maybe you should learn how to use full sentences and how to use parentheses before you start lecturing others on their use of grammar?

Back on topic, I think this will be a great appointment for Irish rugby.

• Advertisement

Enough of the grammar nazis...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm still refusing to get my hopes up about this until I see it confirmed.

Boy how sweet it would be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Worst kept secret ever.....it was a done deal from day one the minute Joe acknowledged his interest/intent re the managers position.

I too think he's the right man.....bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

When Joe gets named Irish coach, I'm signing up to Ireland supporters clup. Had no interest in it up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm still refusing to get my hopes up about this until I see it confirmed.

Boy how sweet it would be...

I think barring a massive massive u-turn from one side or the other I think you can get your hopes up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/

The BBC wouldn't have it as one of their lead sports stories if it wasn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bilston wrote: »
    I think barring a massive massive u-turn from one side or the other I think you can get your hopes up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/

The BBC wouldn't have it as one of their lead sports stories if it wasn't going to happen.

To the end of the 2016 season? Didn't see that one coming

Well, I suppose it kinda makes sense. Technically if it was 2015 his contract would be up before the RWC, and could be in line for another 2 year extension like Kidney was. This would show the IRFU have learned from their mistakes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Tox56 wrote: »
    To the end of the 2016 season? Didn't see that one coming

Yeah very surprised about that. Guess bringing up his kids in NZ wasn't as big a factor as some us thought. Just wanted more time to concentrate on his kid whether it was in Ireland or NZ and now he can even split some of his time between the two just like Gatland. Albeit if he does a Trapatoni and orders a brand new DVD player..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

.ak wrote: »
    Well, I suppose it kinda makes sense. Technically if it was 2015 his contract would be up before the RWC, and could be in line for another 2 year extension like Kidney was. This would show the IRFU have learned from their mistakes tbh.

Is that a pig I see flying past the blue moon? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

P_1 wrote: »
    Is that a pig I see flying past the blue moon? :eek:
    It's actually a squadron of pigs in perfect V formation ;)

Advertisement