Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being forced to use your "Irish" name at school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Oisinjm wrote: »
    I'd only every post for 14+ pages on a thread unless I cared about the subject being discussed a great deal. I guess we're just different there. I won't make that assumption again.

I bet you also criticise posters who start a thread and then don't post in it. ;)
    No, I hadn't seen it. Could you have a phone conversation/meeting with someone in charge? I'd say they'd be willing to do that.
    I'm not sure I'm willing to do that yet.
    You daughter is being called a translation. Hypothetically they'd be called completely new/made up names.
    Does your college teach through the medium of English? Please ask all your lecturers to call you Fawn from now on.
    We're talking about gaelscoils here. You knew this was the case when you sent your daughter here, that's why I don't feel that your daughter can feel annoyed about it. You both knew this was going to be the case from day one, yet still attended the school.
    Where did I say this was an issue worth pulling her out of school? You criticise my sense of perspective then go nuclear yourself :confused:
    It's always been done and to do the reverse now would be a headwreck is what I said. Also, as said previously, there should be no issue with foreign visa officials unless there's a criminal record or something along those lines.

What headwreck? To cal someone their name instead of a makey-up one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

And was his penchant of misnaming historical characters school policy? And did it extend to all historical characters? (In which case we're back to the question I posed above, re Winston Eaglaiscnoc.)

do you not agree that james 2 was referred to as seamus a chaca by the irish after the battle of the boyne??

http://www.historyextra.com/blog/king-danger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

MadsL wrote: »
    Two years. She has tried and tried. All the documentation that the school have is in her "translated" name. I suspect this may cause future problems with emigration. Her passport also has an additional surname.

What? How will that cause any problems for her in future. Its secondary school for god sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

Oisinjm wrote: »
    I've a few nicknames I'm not 100% fond of, but I don't make a big deal out of them as there's no malice there. Pretty much the same thing. This also happened in primary school for a short time when people realised the translation of Oisín.

Fair enough but if you were told to use one of those as your name during school for five years would you still be ok with that?

I've yet to come accross an indian in ireland called manmeet or baldeep but I think he might be happy(his choice of course ;) ) in an irish secondary school with an abbreviation or translation in his case :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Gatling wrote: »
    Well its a gaelscoil after all ,
    I'll have the same problem my daughers name doesn't translate to Irish when spelt with a capital letter ,but in normal letter at the start of her name you get a total different translation ,
    I suggest talking with the teacher and explain there translation is wrong

I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense at all. How can the case of a letter have any bearing on a names translation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I haven't read this thread from end to end, so pardon me if I've missed something. But I would like to know what the experience of people has been in classes re other languages. My recollection from a long time ago is that our Spanish teacher addressed John as Juan, Michael as Miguel etc, simply as part of the process of familiarising pupils with the Spanish version of English names and to imprint them in our minds.

I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense at all. How can the case of a letter have any bearing on a names translation?

Nollaig = Noel

nollaig = christmas

just one example, can't think of a female version at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

do you not agree that james 2 was referred to as seamus a chaca by the irish after the battle of the boyne??

http://www.historyextra.com/blog/king-danger

I have no opinion on the matter. I'd rather you answered the questions I asked, to be honest.

OP do these posts reflect what's going on?

Her name has Hebrew, Romanian and Irish roots.
    Her name could be pronounced in Irish the way her name is spelled, but mostly it is "correctly" pronounced differently in Irish and spelled very differently.

She hates the common Irish pronunciation.

Her teachers seem to feel she has difficulty pronouncing her own name. They also seem to think because I don't speak Irish I can't either. I have conversations at parents meetings.

Ah you are X's dad.
    Yes, Z's dad.
    X, yes.
    No, Z.
    X, yes.
    Z.

feargale wrote: »
    I haven't read this thread from end to end, so pardon me if I've missed something. But I would like to know what the experience of people has been in classes re other languages. My recollection from a long time ago is that our Spanish teacher addressed John as Juan, Michael as Miguel etc, simply as part of the process of familiarising pupils with the Spanish version of English names and to imprint them in our minds.

Did your teacher also do that whilst speaking to you in English outside of the class?

• Advertisement

What? How will that cause any problems for her in future. Its secondary school for god sake.

it won't. as was pointed out to the OP a few pages ago, the name used in 3rd level can be changed at registration. i thought it was based on the application form (CAO) but another poster had different experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

What's karol ( a popular name in my generation ) in Irish
    Cos because it was the popes name the teachers didn't bother Irishing it

Cathal would be my best guess

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Her name has Hebrew, Romanian and Irish roots.
    Her name could be pronounced in Irish the way her name is spelled, but mostly it is "correctly" pronounced differently in Irish and spelled very differently.

She hates the common Irish pronunciation.

Her teachers seem to feel she has difficulty pronouncing her own name. They also seem to think because I don't speak Irish I can't either. I have conversations at parents meetings.

Ah you are X's dad.
    Yes, Z's dad.
    X, yes.
    No, Z.
    X, yes.
    Z.

That totally confused the situation they think she can't pronounce her name properly and she complain's there not getting the name right in Irish,plus a friend whom wont answer because her name is ugly

What's the issue with the passport surely what's on her birthcert decides that

What if she transferred to a US high school under her own name, and requested school records? They'd be thinking they sent the wrong records.

She has three names
    Birth Cert & Passport
    School "name"
    Own First name(non-Irish version of her name) and Irish surname.

God knows what name will end up on her degree cert.

The day I look to AH for parenting advice, or any other non-Doctor Phil affiliated forum, will be a bleak one indeed.

Seriously though OP, there's a problem with your daughter at school and your first port of call is AH?? You've been around a fair while here, so I suspect your post might have ulterior motives of some description. Either way, just look up the true translation of the name and drop some education on the teacher in question.

AH answer: Pics or GTFO.

I have no opinion on the matter. I'd rather you answered the questions I asked, to be honest.

it's been almost 20 years since i sat in a history class in an english speaking school. there was no reason for history lessons to refer to Charles de Gaulle as Seamus Gaul or whatever.
    what i gave was an example of where a person from history was given an irish name by people at the time. some characters did get that treatment. most didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Did your teacher also do that whilst speaking to you in English outside of the class?
    No, and it is pretty well universally regarded as a common courtesy that people and places should be named as they wish to be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

stankratz wrote: »
    The day I look to AH for parenting advice, or any other non-Doctor Phil affiliated forum, will be a bleak one indeed.

Seriously though OP, there's a problem with your daughter at school and your first port of call is AH?? You've been around a fair while here, so I suspect your post might have ulterior motives of some description. Either way, just look up the true translation of the name and drop some education on the teacher in question.

Or failing that ring the principal and politely but firmly tell her where to ram his/her cultural imperialism.

Gatling wrote: »
    That totally confused the situation they think she can't pronounce her name properly and she's complain's there not getting the name right in Irish,

Yeah. I can see how they get confused with they way she keeps saying her name is "Z" when they know so much better than her.
    What's the issue with the passport surely what's on her birthcert decides that

No if she decided to use her z name and Irish surname she could change that. It requires 2 years worth of name records to do that though, so even though she would like to do that and use her irish surname the school are not helping (Ironically they are preventing her from bringing her Irish surname into use)

it's been almost 20 years since i sat in a history class in an english speaking school. there was no reason for history lessons to refer to Charles de Gaulle as Seamus Gaul or whatever.
    what i gave was an example of where a person from history was given an irish name by people at the time. some characters did get that treatment. most didn't.

What was the deciding criterion as to whether an historical character was misnamed or not?

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »

Ah, dammit. My pretence at actually having a daughter is blown. :o

Still a better thread than threads about threads.

What if she transferred to a US high school under her own name, and requested school records? They'd be thinking they sent the wrong records.

She has three names
    Birth Cert & Passport
    School "name"
    Own First name(non-Irish version of her name) and Irish surname.

God knows what name will end up on her degree cert.

she puts the name she wants to be referred to for the rest of her life on her third level application form/registration.
    i know plenty of people who have their degree in irish and passports in english with no issue.

if the worst comes to the worst, go to a commissioner for oaths, and get a form signed and stamped saying that they are the same person.
    the name used at school is not a big deal, officially, believe me.

it may be a pain in the hole for you now, but my name on my birth cert & leaving certificate is different to that on my degree/passport/professional governing body registration. i've never had an issue.

What was the deciding criterion as to whether an historical character was misnamed or not?

who was misnamed?

Look over there it's Patrick Pearse, wait...Pádraic Pearse, I mean Pádraig Pearse...Paddy Pearse, Patty Pearse...oh fuck.

who was misnamed?

You tell me. You're the one who had a teacher making up names for historical characters.

she puts the name she wants to be referred to for the rest of her life on her third level application form/registration.
    i know plenty of people who have their degree in irish and passports in english with no issue.

if the worst comes to the worst, go to a commissioner for oaths, and get a form signed and stamped saying that they are the same person.
    the name used at school is not a big deal, officially, believe me.

it may be a pain in the hole for you now, but my name on my birth cert & leaving certificate is different to that on my degree/passport/professional governing body registration. i've never had an issue.

Have you ever applied for citizenship of another country?

You tell me. You're the one who had a teacher making up names for historical characters.

my teacher didn't make up the name seamus a chaca, a quick google of that will tell you he was known as that in the late 17th century.
    don't think my history teacher was that old.

Still a better thread than threads about threads.

That is your opinion, not a fact. Where is the evidence to outline this statement?

Ah I'm just focking around with ya OP. The concerns you outlined aren't as wild as some here have alluded to. It being a Gaelscoil that you opted your daughter into, find out the real translation and have a polite word with the principal. If this doesn't change things, send your daughter in wearing a poppy.

Have you ever applied for citizenship of another country?

no, although i do live in another country.
    in that case, that would be where commissioner for oaths comes in.

when you get into college in ireland, you're pretty much known by your CAO number. the version of your name you want to go with that is up to you.

seriously, i can't think of any reason why i'd need any records from secondary school for anything ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Nollaig = Noel

nollaig = christmas

just one example, can't think of a female version at the moment!

Nollaig is a girls name think Noelle

Advertisement