Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being forced to use your "Irish" name at school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Seaneh wrote: »

My friend went to the principal, explained the situation, told them to call him Tadgh (Tige) or tigger (which his dad calls him a lot), either of those was fine with the kid and he would respond positively to them.

Tiggers like their names

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I went to an all Irish school. Some teachers used the Irish version of my name I used my English version. I never argued it or pulled them up. I spoke in Irish the rest of the time but always said my name how it is in every other language and they soon started using my name. I did use my Irish surname though.

America and other contries however have found my name very hard to pronounce but the Irish Americans understand that link between the Irish version and English versio of my name which is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Back in my school days they just added an O before my Surname, then stuck in a couple of fadas to make it more Irish sounding I guess :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

LordSutch wrote: »
    Back in my school days they just added an O before my Surname, then stuck in a couple of fadas to make it more Irish sounding I guess :(

Tiarna Ó Sútch?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

:rolleyes:

Go on, admit it, it's just another "look how backward and stupid Ireland is" thread, isn't it?

Some vinegar for that chip on your shoulder?

• Advertisement

Tiarna Ó Sútch?

go raibh maith agat, Uaimh Cnoc Ó Dearg.

I think :D

LordSutch wrote: »
    go raibh maith agat, Uaimh Cnoc Ó Dearg.

I think :D

Agus ciúnas bothar cailín bainne to you too!

Now you've lost me,

Goodnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

MadsL wrote: »
    Some vinegar for that chip on your shoulder?

you're the one whinging about something that apparently doesn't even matter.

I reckon it's you that needs the polyfilla to patch up the chip fella.

you're the one whinging about something that apparently doesn't even matter.

And yet here you are...
    I reckon it's you that needs the polyfilla to patch up the chip fella.

What chip would that be? You brought up "backward and stupid" not me? Wonder why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

I've been asked countless times at work and in Uni what my name is in English, even had a police officer ask me to translate it before, I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen to someone with an Indian or Polish name

Anyway thread reminded me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

queen elizabeth the first (the virgin queen).
    There is a difference between a name and a description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

OP i'm not having a pop at you ok, i just find this funny so don't shoot (excuse the pun) but......

What i find terribly amusing is the fact the OP here on another thread came out in support for arming teachers in America after the Sandy Hook incident.

So teachers with guns = mmmkay

Translating a name into Irish, in a GAELSCOIL! = no dice

In my school back in the day, rollcall was taken in Irish. I never once heard of anybody saying anything other than 'anseo'. If your name is James and you're read out as Seamus, you're still feckin James. Just say you're here and get on with it!

By the way, do you have a problem with other peoples names being translated into Irish? So, for example, if during a history lesson in IRISH, Michael Collins is read out as Mícheál Ó Coileáin, do you have a problem with that too? It's not his name, am i right?!

Your girl is in the wrong school if you've got a major gripe over this (or rather she has). If a friendly word with the Principle yields no dividends, it's either move school OR have a word with her and say it's just a translation of your given name, no biggie. Which it really isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

21 pages I'm sure what I'm gonna ask has been answered.

Wasn't she called her Irish name in primary school so why now a problem?

Also isn't john changed to Sean?

I went to an Irish school, never had a problem with the name change, actually some friends parents still call me by it.

OP i'm not having a pop at you ok, i just find this funny so don't shoot (excuse the pun) but......

What i find terribly amusing is the fact the OP here on another thread came out in support for arming teachers in America after the Sandy Hook incident.

So teachers with guns = mmmkay

Translating a name into Irish, in a GAELSCOIL! = no dice

Except that wasn't my position, I trust you have the intelligence to understand that there is a difference between allowing former cops and military personnel who now teach to have access to their personal carry firearm on school premises and how that is different sending out a pistol to every teacher, but feel free to completely make a cartoon out of my position on that.
    In my school back in the day, rollcall was taken in Irish. I never once heard of anybody saying anything other than 'anseo'. If your name is James and you're read out as Seamus, you're still feckin James. Just say you're here and get on with it!

...and a clip round the ear too?
    By the way, do you have a problem with other peoples names being translated into Irish? So, for example, if during a history lesson in IRISH, Michael Collins is read out as Mícheál Ó Coileáin, do you have a problem with that too? It's not his name, am i right?!

Well if he were actually there I guess it would be polite to ask if he prefers Michael or Mícheál? I guess he might express a preference. If he did it would be pretty rude to continue calling him by the other one don't you think?
    Your girl is in the wrong school if you've got a major gripe over this (or rather she has). If a friendly word with the Principle yields no dividends, it's either move school OR have a word with her and say it's just a translation of your given name, no biggie. Which it really isn't.

Where did I say this irritant was a major gripe? And I'd be damned to see her move school over it, that's absurd. I find it ironic those suggesting I'm making a fuss then suggest drastic measure!!!

Anyway, Shirley, thanks for the input. And for dragging up another topic. And misrepresenting my position on that topic and this one. Real pleasure...

Oranage2 wrote: »
    21 pages I'm sure what I'm gonna ask has been answered.

Wasn't she called her Irish name in primary school so why now a problem?

She doesn't HAVE an Irish name. She was called by her name in primary.
    I went to an Irish school, never had a problem with the name change, actually some friends parents still call me by it.

If you didn't like the name and you asked them to call you by your given name, and they didn't - would you feel entitled to be peeved?

She doesn't HAVE an Irish name. She was called by her name in primary.

If you didn't like the name and you asked them to call you by your given name, and they didn't - would you feel entitled to be peeved?

At that age I got peeved off if my shoe laces were too long.

Actually there was one girl who insisted on only using her own name, she turned out very weird. FYI

At that age I got peeved off if my shoe laces were too long.

At 15-16?
    Actually there was one girl who insisted on only using her own name, she turned out very weird. FYI

How weird, using her real name at all times instead of meekly and obediently taking one 'assigned' by a teacher and using it part-time. What a freak.

At 15-16?

How weird, using her real name at all times instead of meekly and obediently taking one 'assigned' by a teacher and using it part-time. What a freak.

So she has already gone through 2 plus years of her Irish name, has she always had a problem with it or is it just now?

I think your negativity to the situation is influencing her, its really not a big deal. Life is about conforming, better teach her the life lesson early or else the real world is gonna be hard on her.

And the girl brought a wigy board to school, and other stuff, I can't confirm whether the name thing had anything to do with it but its the only link I see.

So she has already gone through 2 plus years of her Irish name, has she always had a problem with it or is it just now?

I think your negativity to the situation is influencing her, its really not a big deal. Life is about conforming, better teach her the life lesson early or else the real world is gonna be hard on her.

...and you just lost me, thanks...conforming eh? Best stamp out this thinking for herself nonsense too...

And the girl brought a wigy board to school, and other stuff, I can't confirm whether the name thing had anything to do with it but its the only link I see.

I see. Take an Irish name or the divil will get ya.

Good grief...!

• Advertisement

...and you just lost me, thanks...conforming eh? Best stamp out this thinking for herself nonsense too...

I see. Take an Irish name or the divil will get ya.

Good grief...!

Are you trolling, do you even have a daughter?

Tell her to get over it, I can just imagine her in 5 years working somewhere, "I don't want to wear black shoes"

Thread by mads

'my daughter doesn't want to wear black shoes I don't think she should have to'

Are you trolling, do you even have a daughter?

Tell her to get over it, I can just imagine her in 5 years working somewhere, "I don't want to wear black shoes"

Thread by mads

'my daughter doesn't want to wear black shoes I don't think she should have to'

She wears her uniform without complaint.

However I would like to think that standing up for yourself in the workplace if you are being bullied is an important social skill.

Because her resistance to being called something that isn't her name isn't about wearing a uniform, it is standing up to a (admittedly mild) form of sanctioned institutional bullying. It is irritating, not upsetting to her; hence why I don't feel a parent should get involved. She's dealing with it.

But that might be too subtle for you if you think ouija boards use is the logical outcome of not conforming.

She wears her uniform without complaint.

However I would like to think that standing up for yourself in the workplace if you are being bullied is an important social skill.

Because her resistance to being called something that isn't her name isn't about wearing a uniform, it is standing up to a (admittedly mild) form of sanctioned institutional bullying. It is irritating, not upsetting to her; hence why I don't feel a parent should get involved. She's dealing with it.

But that might be too subtle for you if you think ouija boards use is the logical outcome of not conforming.

Ah yeah those gaelscoils, worst than a nazi prison camp, if she doesn't want this 'institutional bully' then why not change schools, its clearly very upsetting for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Why is she in a Gaelscoil at all then? Im not on for them, but that seems part and parcel of the "deal". She/You should also find out what your actual Irish name is and not some reverse Anglicisation "sounds like" nonsense.

Your actual name, in any language, is the name on your birth certificate. That's the long and the short of it. If it's an Irish name, then you've got an Irish name, if it's not an Irish name, then calling you by an Irish translation of the rough approximation of your name is NOT calling you by your name. If your name is John, then your name is John. It's NOT Sean in Irish, it's John whatever language you're speaking

Ah yeah those gaelscoils, worst than a nazi prison camp, if she doesn't want this 'institutional bully' then why not change schools, its clearly very upsetting for her.

I see your reading comprehension is poor. I'll repeat what I said, irritating, not upsetting. Every other aspect of her education is top-notch. Why would I expect she would change schools?

But tell me, if a manager in a workplace called her "Pammy" every day rather than her given name, would that be something she should just conform to, even if she had asked the manager repeatedly not to do that?

I see your reading comprehension is poor. I'll repeat what I said, irritating, not upsetting. Every other aspect of her education is top-notch. Why would I expect she would change schools?

But tell me, if a manager in a workplace called her "Pammy" every day rather than her given name, would that be something she should just conform to, even if she had asked the manager repeatedly not to do that?

If she signed up to a job knowing that she was going to be called pammy before hand then I see no problem.

Their school their rules, next she'll not be wanting to speak Irish

If she signed up to a job knowing that she was going to be called pammy before hand then I see no problem.

Funny how that "rule" only applies if your name somehow 'translates' to something probably/possibly Irish or stretched to make it Irishy. Oh, and isn't written into any rulebook or policy. And is exempted if you have a different ethnicity.

next she'll not be wanting to speak Irish

Hang on...you are the guy who wanted Irish teachers to change how pupils say good morning so as not to offend atheists!!!

Priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

This name "translation" business has always annoyed me, it do feel it is wrong to insist John is suddenly called Séan, just as it would be wrong for Séan to be called John, Hans, Janez, Ivan or any one of the many forms of the name.
    No one has the right to insist they call someone by anything other than their given name, and if I could "live my life again" I would refuse to answer to the stupid* translation of my own first name in school.
    P.S. I love Irish and speak it.

*Stupid not because it was translated, but because the "real translation" doesn't change the sound (only the spelling) so they added a few extra letters and made what in English is actually quite a "posh" name resulting in me getting the piss taken out of me.

• Advertisement

No school is entitled to rename a child. They do not have the remit in law or in morality to do so. So whether it's 'their rules' or not (and I suspect not), they aren't entitled to do it.

Advertisement