Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being forced to use your "Irish" name at school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Tigger wrote: »
    Nollaig is a girls name think Noelle

true, both male and female. my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

stankratz wrote: »
    Ah I'm just focking around with ya OP. The concerns you outlined aren't as wild as some here have alluded to. It being a Gaelscoil that you opted your daughter into, find out the real translation and have a polite word with the principal. If this doesn't change things, send your daughter in wearing a poppy.

Or miniature union jack ;)

Real translation? Why would her name need one of those. Everyone I know knows what her name is? Why do her teachers have such a difficulty understanding things that aren't 'translated' for them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Fully convinced the OP has invented this entire situation for the sake of having a pointless debate.

In the real world this would be solved with a phone call to the teacher, if not them then the principal and of not them the school board.

If the OP genuinely gave a **** about this happening (if it ever happened) and he's allowed it to go on for 2 + years while it's pissing his daughter off so much (apparently), he's a terrible parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If you use Google translate you get December

And what would Noel Edmunds be called in a Gaelscoil?
    apart from cúnt that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

my teacher didn't make up the name seamus a chaca, a quick google of that will tell you he was known as that in the late 17th century.
    don't think my history teacher was that old.

You said he changed the names of some historical characters but not others. I asked what the deciding criterion was for him doing it. That's the question I'm looking for an answer for.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Fully convinced the OP has invented this entire situation for the sake of having a pointless debate.

In the real world this would be solved with a phone call to the teacher, if not them then the principal and of not them the school board.

If the OP genuinely gave a **** about this happening (if it ever happened) and he's allowed it to go on for 2 + years while it's pissing his daughter off so much (apparently), he's a terrible parent.

Thanks for that.

I don't supposed you have any strong feelings on the subject eh John? (knowing full well you do)

You said he changed the names of some historical characters but not others. I asked what the deciding criterion was for him doing it. That's the question I'm looking for an answer for.

he didn't change the name. he told us of a character that was given an irish name. stop trying to change what i've said.

Gatling wrote: »
    If you use Google translate you get December

Noel/Noelle from the french word for Christmas, in Irish the entire month of December s giving the name Nollaig, which comes from the same french word.

Basically people called Noel/Noelle are named after the french word for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,315 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I had a friend who's name Michael was pronounced 'Michelle' by the French.

Michelle is a girl's name.

Michel (pronounced Michelle) and Michäel (rare, pronounced Mick-ell) are boys names.

• Advertisement

You said:
    some characters did get that treatment. most didn't.

I want to know what criteria he used to decide which ones that did 'get the treatment'.

MadsL wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I don't supposed you have any strong feelings on the subject eh John? (knowing full well you do)

Er, that would be Shawn/Shaun, as pointed out already, Eoin would be John.

And I actually think it's stupid and the teachers need a dose of cop on, but if you've let it go on this long and it's really bothering your daughter, you're a crap dad, sort it out and stand up for your kid or else cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it.

Oh and by the way, I don't have strong feelings on it at all, I let people in South America and Spain call me Juan, Italians call me Gio (short for Giovanni) and people in the Balkans call me Ivan because they couldn't get their heads around how Seán was pronounced and kept calling me See-ann. It's not a big deal.

Er, that would be Shawn/Shaun, as pointed out already, Eoin would be John.

Sorry Mick.
    And I actually think it's stupid and the teachers need a dose of cop on, but if you've let it go on this long and it's really bothering your daughter, you're a crap dad, sort it out and stand up for your kid or else cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it.

I think you are being a tad judgemental. No harm in letting a kid stand up for themselves. Many of the teachers cop on to that, others are just jerks.

You said:

I want to know what criteria he used to decide which ones that did 'get the treatment'.

i meant some characters got that treatment historically, that wasn't decreed by one man in a school in the 1990s. he merely informed us of the alternative names.
    the 10th earl of kildare was given an unofficial name by the people of the time too (silken thomas), as was queen elizabeth the first (the virgin queen).

happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm still in secondary school now and my name is still spelled incorrectly on everything related to the school, which was quite worrying as I got a letter home to say that "DarrRen" has paid for the leaving cert. My parents have sent in two letters over the last 5 years and mentioned it in person once to the deputy head but still no change. It must be a lot of bother for them to change a name because they're resisting quite passionately to fixing what must have been a transcription error with the addition of an r. I'll have to change my name to match my leaving cert.

Sorry Mick.

I think you are being a tad judgemental. No harm in letting a kid stand up for themselves. Many of the teachers cop on to that, others are just jerks.

So it's not a big deal after all, but you're kicking up a fuss and making a big deal of it for no reason crap on AH for ****s and giggles?

i meant some characters got that treatment historically, that wasn't decreed by one man in a school in the 1990s. he merely informed us of the alternative names.
    the 10th earl of kildare was given an unofficial name by the people of the time too (silken thomas), as was queen elizabeth the first (the virgin queen).

happy?

I'm just trying to establish whether your school had a policy of misnaming historical personages in Irish or not. It appears they did not, though you did respond to my post asking whether any school did, which is why I've persevered to get to the bottom of this.
    I'm not aware of any school that does that, actually, gaelscoil or otherwise. That's why I'm baffled as to why they think it legitimate to misname their pupils.

I'm still in secondary school now and my name is still spelled incorrectly on everything related to the school, which was quite worrying as I got a letter home to say that "DarrRen" has paid for the leaving cert. My parents have sent in two letters over the last 5 years and mentioned it in person once to the deputy head but still no change. It must be a lot of bother for them to change a name because they're resisting quite passionately to fixing what must have been a transcription error with the addition of an r. I'll have to change my name to match my leaving cert.

It's "Darr Ren" Japanese root y'know. ;) It means Dear Lotus.

So it's not a big deal after all, but you're kicking up a fuss and making a big deal of it for no reason crap on AH for ****s and giggles?

But ****s and giggles are AH's primary directive :confused::confused::confused:

Then just admit that's what this thread is about, you starting a pointless debate and stop pretending it's about some moral or ethical issue and mistreatment of your child in an educational institution in Ireland.

Like I said, if you actually gave a ****e you'd have either sorted it or moved her long ago if she was actually being affected by it.

• Advertisement

I'm just trying to establish whether your school had a policy of misnaming historical personages in Irish or not. It appears they did not, though you did respond to my post asking whether any school did, which is why I've persevered to get to the bottom of this.
    I'm not aware of any school that does that, actually, gaelscoil or otherwise. That's why I'm baffled as to why they think it legitimate to misname their pupils.

search back, i did not enquire as to any other school's policy on renaming historical characters (that may or may not have been given another name, derogatory or otherwise, by the people who lived at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I think the real issue here is the consistent lack of dick jokes throughout the thread.

And to be honest I agree. Not enough dick jokes.

Then just admit that's what this thread is about, you starting a pointless debate and stop pretending it's about some moral or ethical issue and mistreatment of your child in an educational institution in Ireland.

Like I said, if you actually gave a ****e you'd have either sorted it or moved her long ago if she was actually being affected by it.

She dislikes the fact it happens. I support her dislike. Would she like me to go in and sort it? no. Teenagers eh?

Do I think we can have an interesting debate about it, yes. Do you? Clearly not.

Other threads ^^^^ >>>> <<<< if you don't like that.

search back, i did not enquire as to any other school's policy on renaming historical characters (that may or may not have been given another name, derogatory or otherwise, by the people who lived at the time).

No, if you search back you'll find that's what I did. I asked whether any schools misnamed historical personages into Irish the way they do pupils. You chose to answer. That may explain why I wanted to establish whether your school had a policy on the matter.

No, if you search back you'll find that's what I did. I asked whether any schools misnamed historical personages into Irish the way they do pupils. You chose to answer. That may explain why I wanted to establish whether your school had a policy on the matter.

ok, sound!

She dislikes the fact it happens. I support her dislike. Would she like me to go in and sort it? no. Teenagers eh?

Do I think we can have an interesting debate about it, yes. Do you? Clearly not.

Other threads ^^^^ >>>> <<<< if you don't like that.

What's to debate.

Question:
    If someone dislikes not being called by their given name, should people use their given name?

Answer: Yes, of course, they should stop being dicks.

My mate and his wife moved back to the US a few years ago, he and his wife named their son Tadgh.

He started school recently, the teacher wouldn't believe the kid that his name was proununced the way it was and started calling him "tadge" or something similar.

My friend went to the principal, explained the situation, told them to call him Tadgh (Tige) or tigger (which his dad calls him a lot), either of those was fine with the kid and he would respond positively to them.

Next day, after the teacher was informed of why the name was pronounced as it was and the fathers request the teacher starts calling the kid "tige", kid goes home happy.

Issue sorted in one 15 minute meeting.

I'd say they have some craic in American schools what with your ethnic names (Shaniqua, etc), names of immigrant pupils, and so on.
    There'd probably be a riot (or at least a law suit) if anyone tried to change the pronunciation of a single pupil's name there.
    Quite right too imho. Your name is your name, even if it is ridiculous.

Issue sorted in one 15 minute meeting.

Yeah, sure.

2nd generation to attend this school - doesn't work like that. American schools are quite a tad more 'accommodating'.

I'd say they have some craic in American schools what with your ethnic names (Shaniqua, etc), names of immigrant pupils, and so on.
    There'd probably be a riot (or at least a law suit) if anyone tried to change the pronunciation of a single pupil's name there.
    Quite right too imho. Your name is your name, even if it is ridiculous.

Same lad when he was in school himself in the 80's had a teacher who refused to spell his name properly (sean) and insisted on spelling it Shawn on every letter sent home until his Dad spoke to the school.

• Advertisement

Yeah, sure.

2nd generation to attend this school - doesn't work like that. American schools are quite a tad more 'accommodating'.

:rolleyes:

Go on, admit it, it's just another "look how backward and stupid Ireland is" thread, isn't it?

Advertisement