Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being forced to use your "Irish" name at school

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ficheall wrote: »
    This is almost as mindless ...

Yet here you are dragging up the thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

MadsL wrote: »
    Yet here you are dragging up the thread...

You could at least aim your sneering at the right person. It was not Ficheall who "dragged up" the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You could at least aim your sneering at the right person. It was not Ficheall who "dragged up" the thread.

And you are back too! Thread keeps giving.

mwah!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Ficheall wrote: »
    This is almost as mindless as the "Let's count to a million" threads...

Have we found out what the OP's daughter's name is yet?
    Because divulging minors' names on the internet is something you get a kick out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

But to be fair, he was directing his sneering at someone who was very sneery to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

MadsL wrote: »
    My daughter attends a second-level gaelscoil that insists on calling her by a translation of her actual name that sound similar to her actual name but is in fact a different Irish name. She hates it and has frequently resisted it by saying to her teacher 'that's not my name'. Her teachers continually 'correct' her if she asserts that her name is her name by repeating the translated name back to her.

Should she put up with this? What does AH think?
    Just saw this now.
    I wonder how long has this been going on for? Is she in 1st year, or further along?

If she's in an upper class, she should be able to deal with it herself, and ask to have her choice respected. If she is in 1st or 2nd year, I'd say you should talk to the school management, and to the teacher in question if there is only one of them doing this, and ask to have your/her choice of name respected.

Another possibility has also struck me, which is that your daughter has acquiesced in this for some years now, and has now reached that stroppy teenage phase that so many teenagers go through, where they want everyone to bow down to their every whim. If this is the case, I wish you well, but can't help you!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

bluewolf wrote: »
    Your name is your name; as has been pointed out, you don't get called a different one when you go abroad and they have another language. Contact the school and have this cleared up and her docs corrected.

Your name is your name; I think the point is that you do get called by your Irish name in a Gealscoil. If you don't accept that or like it don't send a child to a Gealscoil.

Advertisement