Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Am i the only one in Ireland who thinks McGregor come across as a bit simple??

He is undoubtedly a talented fighter but i find all of his interviews quite cringe, he comes across as a real "poor paddy" really making a point label dropping the whole time about things he bought! I mean does anyone really care he has a pair of ray bans now or bought a suit, its not that impressive in fairness? I feel like he is letting it all go to his head now and it will be his downfall... running around making videos the whole time, what happened to stay ready?

Also i thought slating everyone in the division bar Aldo was a really unprofessional thing to do and as much as i hope he goes on to do great things in the sport i think that will come back to haunt him! 1 loss now to a half decent fighter and he will look like a thick after all his mouthing! If he was put in with a decent wrestler next he would be beaten but Dana White and The UFC won't do that yet as they see the money making potential in building him up slowly!

I'm all for making your own publicity to get a name for yourself but in reality he has done **** all yet to be slating UFC veterans! A good hiding will soon set him straight and make him appreciate how hard some of those fighters have worked to be in the position they are for as long as they are! There are hundreds of fightes on the UFC books but only a certain amount are household names and they got that way by kicking ass not running there mouths before they have even proven anything!

Awful smell of jealousy there. U idiot. Cop on will ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Am i the only one in Ireland who thinks McGregor come across as a bit simple??

He can't be that simple if what he's doing is clearly working in his favor so you might not be the only one in Ireland but I'd say you're part of a very small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

What's the best thing a UFC fighter can do with his time while he's injured?

That's the point; he's committed in a way that few dare. Makes for interesting viewing though doesn't it? Hence the love, rise and wealth.

He is winning the game they are playing and getting paid for it. Good for him.

And I think he'll headline alright, it comes down to this:

Q: Who is the fighter Irish people are most likely to pay money to see?
    A: Conor McGregor.

That's because he is the only Irish fighter on the card and to be honest id much rather go see Anderson Silva vs Anyone/GSP/Any heavyweight title fight then McGregor, even Jose Aldo! I don't think he deserves to headline a card yet, why should he just because he is in Ireland? There are fighters from all around the world in the sport does that mean they too should all headline when they fight at home?
    Ray Mond wrote: »
    Awful smell of jealousy there. U idiot. Cop on will ye

Good man, solid input right there! No jealousy at all? Jealous of what? I already said I hope he goes on to do great things if you bothered to read my post properly, and i also stated i thought he was a great fighter, there's no denying that i just don't like like his personality? Everyone's entitled to an opinion!
    He can't be that simple if what he's doing is clearly working in his favor so you might not be the only one in Ireland but I'd say you're part of a very small minority.

Yup you're dead right, what he is doing IS working and what i feel he is doing is coming across to American's as their idea of a stereotypical Paddy and the yanks are lapping it up! Spitting, cursing, fighting! Even when Tubridy was interviewing him and don't get me wrong i think Tubridy is a tit but he didnt quite "get" what Conor was on about and half the time he was too busy talking about how flash he looked to notice he was the only one laughing, even the crowd were cringing from what i could see!

Good man, solid input right there! No jealousy at all? Jealous of what? I already said I hope he goes on to do great things if you bothered to read my post properly, and i also stated i thought he was a great fighter, there's no denying that i just don't like like his personality? Everyone's entitled to an opinion!

The guy has a fantastic personality for what he's doing, it couldn't be better. This is why 99% of people love him right now, including the press.

You should just be happy and proud we have a competitive guy finally on the scene in the UFC from Ireland, and enjoy it all. Theres plenty to enjoy

The guy has a fantastic personality for what he's doing, it couldn't be better. This is why 99% of people love him right now, including the press.

You should just be happy and proud we have a competitive guy finally on the scene in the UFC from Ireland, and enjoy it all. Theres plenty to enjoy

I'm delighted to see an Irish fighter... and an extremely good Irish fighter at that in the UFC that was never my point! I think Cathal Pendred should be fighting in the UFC to be fair though and i think he comes across much better in any media coverage I've seen him in! I hope he get's the opportunity soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That's because he is the only Irish fighter on the card and to be honest id much rather go see Anderson Silva vs Anyone/GSP/Any heavyweight title fight then McGregor, even Jose Aldo! I don't think he deserves to headline a card yet, why should he just because he is in Ireland? There are fighters from all around the world in the sport does that mean they too should all headline when they fight at home?

Well, yeah. Why not? It's good business.

When you're trying to build a market, having a popular fighter to headline the show is a huge bonus. We've had UK shows headlined by Bisping, Swedish shows headlined by Swedes, Australian shows headlined by Aussies, Brazilian shows headlined by Brazilians.

Having McGregor headline will serve many purposes. It will sell tickets, it will get a lot of attention in the media, it will grow the Irish MMA fanbase, it will boost the profile of and promote one of the UFC's most marketable and hyped fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I wouldn't have issue with McGregor headlining as such, but the problem is bigger than that.

If an event is headlined by a guy outside the top 10 and only 2-0 in the UFC, what kind of slop are they going to fill the rest of the card with?

But as I've said before and everyone seems to be ignoring, Dana has said on a number of occasions that Conor WILL NOT headline in Dublin.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well, yeah. Why not? It's good business.

When you're trying to build a market, having a popular fighter to headline the show is a huge bonus. We've had UK shows headlined by Bisping, Swedish shows headlined by Swedes, Australian shows headlined by Aussies, Brazilian shows headlined by Brazilians.

Having McGregor headline will serve many purposes. It will sell tickets, it will get a lot of attention in the media, it will grow the Irish MMA fanbase, it will boost the profile of and promote one of the UFC's most marketable and hyped fighters.

True but how many fights had Bisping had in the UFC before he headlined in the UK? He was a household name from going through TUF straight into the big leagues! McGregor has still only fought in the prelims so far? How many fights have Aldo, Silva etc all had to prove themselves before headlining! That's a massive skip the queue job if he all of a sudden got a main event!
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    If an event is headlined by a guy outside the top 10 and only 2-0 in the UFC, what kind of slop are they going to fill the rest of the card with?

THIS +1

As i said earlier too, stick him in with a good wrestler... Mendes or Edgar would go through him IMO! All the ****e talk backfires after you get taught a lesson by someone you slated! You should be humble on the way up, run your mouth when you have cleaned house at the top!

I wouldn't have issue with McGregor headlining as such, but the problem is bigger than that.

But as I've said before and everyone seems to be ignoring, Dana has said on a number of occasions that Conor WILL NOT headline in Dublin.

We're gonna get a slop card in any case! Connor in the co-main, and some sort of match up of Journeymen in the Main event. I'd half expect Rich Franklin to be fighting Brandon Vera or somehting.

We're gonna get a slop card in any case! Connor in the co-main, and some sort of match up of Journeymen in the Main event. I'd half expect Rich Franklin to be fighting Brandon Vera or somehting.

Fuck paying 250+ snots for that card so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

If he was English you'd be calling him an arrogant twat.

He's the Irish version of Dan Hardy until he proves otherwise.

threeball wrote: »
    If he was English you'd be calling him an arrogant twat.

Fact! Nailed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

And I think he'll headline alright, it comes down to this:

Q: Who is the fighter Irish people are most likely to pay money to see?
    A: Conor McGregor.

I like Conor and I hope he does well, but there are a lot of fighters that I would like to see fight live instead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

This card will not be to far off a Cage Warriors standard except 5 times the price. The fans will pay for the brand. The UFC is akin to Panadol here. There will be no less than 4 Irish guys on this card. Could be as many as 7. And no more than 1 fighter inside the top 10. People will cry and moan about it all day long but they're the facts. I'm open to admit I might be wrong but I would be very very surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hate to disappoint, but you're not going to see a name like that in a card like Dublin, not at this stage at least.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Hate to disappoint, but you're not going to see a name like that in a card like Dublin, not at this stage at least.

Ah of course i know this, i was just using it as an example when someone said who would Irish people most like to see fight?I could think of a lot of fighters i've been watching for a long time who i'd like to see fight before McGregor if i had the choice!

Xlami wrote: »
    There will be no less than 4 Irish guys on this card. Could be as many as 7

who dya reckon?

Paddy Holohan, Pendred, Killing Fields (STILL most hilarious yet un-PC name out there), Conor, Ais the Bash?, Roddy? eh your man from Lucan MMA Henry Fadipe? Obviously the Northern lad can't think his name off UK v Ozz TUF - Stormin Norman that's it... who dyez reckon will be on the Dublin card, prelims or whatever?

who dya reckon?

Paddy Holohan, Pendred, Killing Fields (STILL most hilarious yet un-PC name out there), Conor, Ais the Bash?, Roddy? eh your man from Lucan MMA Henry Fadipe? Obviously the Northern lad can't think his name off UK v Ozz TUF - Stormin Norman that's it... who dyez reckon will be on the Dublin card, prelims or whatever?

Neil Seery?

yeahh won 6 of last 7 KO's and Subs all over the shop... didn't realize he was a Flyweight actually, ah I'd say he prob can do either 125 or 135??

J.M.S. or Tommy Don Frye Quinn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

who dya reckon?

Owen Roddy is retired. Announced it on Severe last week.

Think it's really make or break with this Gomez fight for Neil Seery next month

I suspect Norman will be on the card

I doubt the 115lb women's division will in the UFC by then but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

SevereMMA wrote: »
    Owen Roddy is retired. Announced it on Severe last week.

Think it's really make or break with this Gomez fight for Neil Seery next month

I suspect Norman will be on the card

I doubt the 115lb women's division will in the UFC by then but you never know.

What weight did Ais fight Rosy at?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

scudzilla wrote: »
    What weight did Ais fight Rosy at?

125lbs but Ais is planning on 115 i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Bisping headlining it is so :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 DerpKehoe

scudzilla wrote: »
    Bisping headlining it is so :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    What would be wrong with that? More than likely mean a top 10 clash to main event which would be better than most fghts we could get

DerpKehoe wrote: »
    What would be wrong with that? More than likely mean a top 10 clash to main event which would be better than most fghts we could get

If you've been into MMA for any length of time you'd get pissed off wit Bisping being wheeled out at nearly every UK event, if he aint fighting he's doing the Q&A

Ah come on, wee exaggeration? ;)

I've been to 2 top US cards, and the highest tickets were $1000 which at the time was about €750. Went to 99 in Germany and the dearest seats were €270 I think.

I paid around $300 each time for the 2 Vegas events I've been to and they were only about 2 sections better than the nosebleeds.

I agree about the crap cards though, as you know. That and the general mistreatment of European Fight Club fans has long been one of my gripes.

Should have rephrased my post, We pay the same, if not more than most numbered U.S events outside Vegas.

And compare the UK Fight Night prices to U.S Fight Night prices, it's nearly double the price over here, yet still the sheep buy the tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bisping was on 3 UK cards before he headlined, and by then he was a big name.
    The brazilian cards are headlined by the likes Maia, Belfort (repeatedly), or the champs Silva & Aldo.
    The Australians cards weren't headlines by aussies. From memory it was Cain v Nog, Penn v Fitch, and Alves Kampmann. The exception being the Smashes finale.
    Australia is a pretty good example, the markets are similar and I'd expect a similar card. Hopefully its more like the inital numbered events.
    ?How can people keep saying it will sell tickets?
    There won't be a single extra ticket sold if Conor headlines. Even if he doesn't appear it will be the same sales.

Don't get me wrong, he'll do some great media days, and promo work for the event. He'll hype the whole card, and he could well be key to making this a numbered event due to transatlantic interest. But generating tickets sales with the locals is not relevant.

Conor..Yes
    Norman...Yes
    Pendred...Probably, depending on TUF 19 timing and progress
    Fields... As above
    Paddy...Maybe. If he isn't called up he should still stay ready as a replacement.
    Ais... No, she is two divisions below.
    Roddy...No. Retired
    Henry...Not yet at that level imo.

The person who speculated 7 could appear on the card was a bit optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Mellor wrote: »
    Australia is a pretty good example, the markets are similar and I'd expect a similar card. Hopefully its more like the inital numbered

The person who speculated 7 could appear on the card was a bit optimistic.

Don't see a similar approach to Australlia as they have a much larger market. As you say the O2 would sell out regardless. So why waste a fight that can be used on a PPV for this card. This card would sell out if there was 22 guys making their debuts. The fans are thirsty for the brand.

And as for 7 it's optimistic but not unrealistic. Conor and Norman are certs.

Chris and Cathal will both be figuring on a UFC card this year.

If Seery beats Gomez I think he's s offered a fight.

Holohan has a great chance if getting on the card.

If Redser can win on NYE and then after training in alliance I think he's a great chance of being on the card.

Then there's a few with an outside chance like Philpott.

I would also like to see Gunni on the card. So it'll be similar enough to a lot of cards that have been on here before except larger crowds and tickets will be 4 times to cost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement