Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is it just me or does Conor seem to have come slightly unglued since the injury?
    He was a PR dream before it, but it seems to be going to his head just a bit recently, which is unfortunate if true.

Totally agree. Everything now is fcuk this and motherfcukin that.
    Seems totally different to his first UFC interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Think my head is stuck with a permanent frown from cringing for 25 mins watching that. Was he drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Is it just me or does Conor seem to have come slightly unglued since the injury?
    He was a PR dream before it, but it seems to be going to his head just a bit recently, which is unfortunate if true.

Gonna have to disagree with you here. I think some people haven't been following Conor long enough (not talking about you Jimmy) or else just forget he's always been like this for as long as I can remember.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=182209508573590&id=112090072144502

That link is to an interview with him for MMA junkie before he fought Dave Hill and maybe some people will say I'm wrong but I don't see much difference in his attitude then compared to now.

Feenix wrote: »
    Think my head is stuck with a permanent frown from cringing for 25 mins watching that. Was he drunk?

Seems the same as ever to me. He is getting better with the media bit by bit though, learning as he goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Anyone find it a bit classless that he keeps talking crap on the cage warriors champions that replaced him? In that intreview he called Jim Alers "rubbish" and said that he wants his belts back because everyone knows he's the true champ.

He's the one that decided to vacate the belts and sign with the UFC. If he wanted to stay champ of cage warriors he shouldn't have signed with the UFC, simple as. No need to cheapen their achievements, let them enjoy their success. I don't know if he has any previous history with the fighters but it seems very low to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Anyone find it a bit classless that he keeps talking crap on the cage warriors champions that replaced him? In that intreview he called Jim Alers "rubbish" and said that he wants his belts back because everyone knows he's the true champ.

He's the one that decided to vacate the belts and sign with the UFC. If he wanted to stay champ of cage warriors he shouldn't have signed with the UFC, simple as. No need to cheapen their achievements, let them enjoy their success. I don't know if he has any previous history with the fighters but it seems very low to me.

I tend to agree with you agree, but really, I don't think it's too big a deal. It just depends on how seriously you take him. Personally I couldn't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Chewabacca wrote: »

Hes had previous with Jim Alers which is why he was giving out about him. He praised the other new champion though. He was praising Cage Warriors as a promotion as well. All hes doing is s*1t talking about other fighters, doesnt matter if theyre in cage warriors or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

Feenix wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It looks like his next fight will be in Dublin, Andrew just tweeted it. Cole Miller could be a possibility after he called him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Gumbi wrote: »
    I tend to agree with you agree, but really, I don't think it's too big a deal. It just depends on how seriously you take him. Personally I couldn't give a ****.

I don't mind too much, it's just that Conor talking about them is probably the most publicity they've gotten in a while and it's all negative. Conor talking crap about them is the first time that almost all American fans will hear about the guys. He's the one that signed the contract and left his position as champ.

A fight with Cole miller would be great for Conor, a very winnable fight that will improve his position in the organisation without throwing him in at the deep end. I think he could stop Cole in a very impressive manner as long as he keeps it standing and can avoid subs for the first round if he does get taken down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

I quote ''I bumped into Jose Aldo Junior tonight. He didnt want any trouble.''

1379282_579382168796753_1488695007_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Cole Miller calling Conor out.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/26/5032220/cole-miller-colin-mcgregor-is-a-show-pony

I think Conor would put him away easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

seiphil wrote: »
    Cole Miller calling Conor out.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/26/5032220/cole-miller-colin-mcgregor-is-a-show-pony

I think Conor would put him away easily enough.

He called him out in the octagon after his match too. Called him McGoober or something.
    Smells a little like he is trying to piggy back Conor's media by making a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    He called him out in the octagon after his match too. Called him McGoober or something.
    Smells a little like he is trying to piggy back Conor's media by making a fuss.

If so, he's clever. But he does have a point. Cole is a beast and has nothing to prove to anybody. Whereas "Colin" is the new kid on the block. Totally understandable that (if) he's not pleased

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If so, he's clever. But he does have a point. Cole is a beast and has nothing to prove to anybody. Whereas "Colin" is the new kid on the block. Totally understandable that (if) he's not pleased
    Cole Miller is correct to point out that he has had 15 fights in the UFC, but he's lost 6 of them. Worse still, most of the losses are recent. He has lost 3 of his last 5 and 4 of his last 7.

He might have nothing to prove, but only because his place as an gatekeeper is set is stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Cole is a beast??? Haha Are you ****ing ****ing me

Mellor wrote: »
    Cole Miller is correct to point out that he has had 15 fights in the UFC, but he's lost 6 of them. Worse still, most of the losses are recent. He has lost 3 of his last 5 and 4 of his last 7.

He might have nothing to prove, but only because his place as an gatekeeper is set is stone.

9-6 is a perfectly respectable record.

Cole is never winning any World Titles but he's, as you said, a gatekeeper. He's a solid fighter and one who deserves to feel aggrieved if some new lad is calling him out.

I think a fight vs Miller is perfect for McGregor. It'd be exciting and against a recognisable name. Also, McGregor should win it.

9-6 is a perfectly respectable record.
    it's Not a bad record, that's not want I was saying. But Milker went in as if he was some sort of top dog.
    Cole is never winning any World Titles but he's, as you said, a gatekeeper. He's a solid fighter and one who deserves to feel aggrieved if some new lad is calling him out.
    I don't think Conor called him out or even mentioned his name until Miller brought it up. I'm sure he was annoyed with the comments about Lentz and Poirrier, but the way he went about it, especially with Gregor out for another 6-9 months, just sounds a bit desperate.
    I think a fight vs Miller is perfect for McGregor. It'd be exciting and against a recognisable name. Also, McGregor should win it.
    I don't dislike the fight at all tbh. Miller is decent fighter, a known fighter. His finish at the weekend was very nice.
    He's not top 10, but a win over him could propell Conor into top ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is it just me or have alot of Conor's recent interveiws been a bit all over the shop, like he's trying to say something intelligent and just doesn't no where to go with it, kind of rambles a lot,
    I also have a few friends who where sitting beside conor's sister and her friend's at the fight in boston and they where ribbing Conor for in there words "his new half american accent, ",

• Advertisement

Is it just me or have alot of Conor's recent interveiws been a bit all over the shop, like he's trying to say something intelligent and just doesn't no where to go with it, kind of rambles a lot,
    I also have a few friends who where sitting beside conor's sister and her friend's at the fight in boston and they where ribbing Conor for in there words "his new half american accent, ",

He is just speaking clearly so people can understand him. Probably a good idea don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It just sound very strange, but its working so all the best to him ,

Although it may sound strange to us, sometimes it's needed. I lived abroad for quite a while and as someone who has a strong enough Dublin accent it can be hard for people to understand you sometimes. Granted, I was living where English wasn't the language of the country but it happens. I remember when I came home people were asking me why I was speaking strangely and I hadn't noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm born and bred in Dublin, and sometimes other dubs can't understand a word I'm saying. I'm like Boomhauer from King of the Hill.

So I can understand why he feels the need to slow his speech down and speak as clearly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Diego Sanchez really doesn't like McGregor!
    "He's got the big mouth," Sanchez replied. "This all started when he put out a tweet that was disrespecting all the top 145ers in the world. And I was just, this is ridiculous. No one's going to talk back to him? You know, somebody has to put the dude in his place because he has a real mouth. The crazy thing about it is he really believes his own hype. I put out a tweet, notable victories. Who are they? Who are you notable victories? Who are your notable fights? Who are these guys who beat you? You have losses on your record and you act like you're the Muhammad Ali of Ireland. You have losses on your record. Who are they? C'mon. Why do you think you're freakin superman when you ain't done it. You gotta walk the walk before you can talk the talk. He fought two fights in UFC and he talks like he's champion? I think it's a bunch of crap."

The fighter who has been called both "The Nightmare" and "The Dream" was just getting warmed up.

"For a guy like him to disrespect me? I didn't disrespect him, I just told him how it was. .... He was talking s--- about Chad Mendes. Chad Mendes! This guy will eat you for lunch. You have not proved you can wrestle. You have not proved you are legitimate on the ground. What are you going to do when you have Diego Sanchez on top of you ground and pounding you? You have not proved that you are equivalent to that situation. It's a bunch of crap."

The TUF 1 middleweight champion also seized upon McGregor's "money" comments, saying that this demonstrated the difference between he and McGregor as fighters.

"He's all ‘I'm going to fight Diego. I like easy money. Oh, money, money, money. Money is my favorite,'" Sanchez mocked. "I'm not about the money, I'm about being a warrior and getting it in there and putting it down for my legacy, for what I was born to do. I fight. I ain't no little punk about money. I'm humble when it comes to that stuff. This dude, he's going to get humbled. If our paths cross eventually, I'm going to get him, if that's what the matchmakers in the UFC wants to do. I doubt UFC would let that even happen because there's money in this guy, he can bring the crowd to Ireland and Europe, they're not going to give him nobody like me who is going to destroy this guy. But the dude's eventually going to get his."

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Does anywhere in Dublin sell Dethrone gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Does anywhere in Dublin sell Dethrone gear?

There's that wrestling shop on top floor of Stephens Green S.C, i think they sell a lot of MMA shirts etc, dunno if they sell dethrone but you could always ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

A few fair points from Diego!!

scudzilla wrote: »
    There's that wrestling shop on top floor of Stephens Green S.C, i think they sell a lot of MMA shirts etc, dunno if they sell dethrone but you could always ask them

If it's specifically the McGregor tee you're looking for they have it. At least they did last week when I was in there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

He has Sanchez wound up to bits,he was snapping on the MMA hour good trolling from Conor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement