Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I'd be very surprised if he didn't headline. Also I'd want him to headline. Anyone remember Cage Warriors 47? The atmosphere after the McGregor fight for the main event was pure ****e. Crowd was drained, and 1/4 had left meant for poor atmosphere for main event. I envisage a similar thing happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Can't see how he would headline tbf. He's only had 2 prelim fights...

Tim Kennedy just headlined a show after just 1 UFC fight.

Gegard Mousasi headlined in his first UFC fight.

The Singapore fight card in a few weeks will have Tarrec Saffedine headlining in HIS first UFC fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Give him a top 10 FW and he will sell out the O2 singlehandedly in one day if he's headlining ! The buzz leading up to that would be so awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Give him a top 10 FW and he will sell out the O2 singlehandedly in one day if he's headlining ! The buzz leading up to that would be so awesome.

Give him Kermit the frog and it'll still sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The 02 has already sold out for UFC quickly before without Mc Gregor and with one Irish fighter on the card in Tom Egan.

This will sell out in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Tim Kennedy just headlined a show after just 1 UFC fight.

Gegard Mousasi headlined in his first UFC fight.

The Singapore fight card in a few weeks will have Tarrec Saffedine headlining in HIS first UFC fight.

Big names who have big fights under there belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If Conor hadn't have got injured, won maybe 2 more fights then he could have headlined against a Top 5 guy, as it stands though i reckon he'll be the co-main

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

scudzilla wrote: »
    If Conor hadn't have got injured, won maybe 2 more fights then he could have headlined against a Top 5 guy, as it stands though i reckon he'll be the co-main

This would of been ideal.

I'd actually prefer for them to put of coming to Ireland till much later in the year to allow Connor to get in a fight or two beforehand so he can be the main event here.

billy2012 wrote: »

Connor is a "big name" too in a way and also the biggest name in MMA in Ireland right now. Makes sense to have him headline here.

Also, Kennedy & Mousasi aren't big names at all. Perhaps to MMA fans but to "UFC" fans, most wouldn't even know who they are!

Kennedy wouldn't have been headlining a card had the special circumstance not been the fact he's a Marine fighting on the Fight for the Troops card. Connor headlining would be similar.

For the record, I don't think he should headline either. I think it would be better to have Connor in a Co-Main.

yeah well fair enough it would have been ideal alright if he'd been grand and taken out a couple more guys...but... it is what it is and his media momentum has continued so he'd prob be the first to say strike while the iron is hot whether circumstances are ideal or not, and if he comes back to fitness the way he is intent on then he'll be ripe to headline the Irish UFC return. He's far too mental to allow a little thing like a career threatening injury get in his way : )

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

billy2012 wrote: »

Tim Kennedy is a big name?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Tim Kennedy is a big name?

Didn't he have a title fight in strikeforce??

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Didn't he have a title fight in strikeforce??

And who's heard of Strikeforce, besides hardcore fans? MMA is UFC, whether you agree or not. That's the mainstream perception. The same way pro-wrestling is WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,604 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think Fedor would disagree :)

sheehy83 wrote: »

If you asked 10 "UFC" fans, at most, half of them would've heard of Fedor and less of them would've ever seen him fight.

Also, he made his name in Pride. At the time, big names in Pride wouold've been big names in MMA. But, again, most "UFC" fans would barely know what Pride was either.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If you asked 10 "UFC" fans, at most, half of them would've heard of Fedor and less of them would've ever seen him fight.

Also, he made his name in Pride. At the time, big names in Pride wouold've been big names in MMA. But, again, most "UFC" fans would barely know what Pride was either.

yeah, which is sad

Just goes to show how much the sport (and UFC brand) has exploded over the past 2/3yrs

Still think fedor was overated though (am i really opening that can of worms in this thread?)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,604 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just don't think strikeforce fighters should be written off because they werent in the ufc.

Anyway back to conor, surely someone tweeted puff daddy today?

sheehy83 wrote: »

That makes no sense. He got paid more than he drew in Strikeforce, Affliction, Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye, and Bodog. He essentially put 2 of those promotions out of business due to his high pay packet vs. what he actually drew for them.
    He's not a star - sorry. Hardcore fans know him, and some worship him, and yes he was amazing - but most casual MMA fans have never heard of him. You may find this shocking, but you're in a bubble. If that wasn't the case, then Affliction would still be around, having drawn consistent huge PPV numbers. They lost millions on their first 2 shows and were only too happy to cancel the 3rd show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Fuck up about the Fedor stuff already, it's been done to death on this and every other MMA forum.

weemcd wrote: »
    Fuck up about the Fedor stuff already, it's been done to death on this and every other MMA forum.

You a mod, bro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Ah play nice lads!

well I'm just gona throw my Fedor comment in for the laugh anyway ; )

at his Peak
    Fedor would be a tough challenge to Cain Valasquez now (although I think Cain would beat him 2 out of 3 fights)
    and I reckon he would have beaten Junior Dos Santos AND every other HW in the world now - at his peak i.e. 2002 - 2006

His 15 consecutive wins in Pride from June 2002 to end of 2006 which included beating Peak Mark Coleman twice, Peak Big Nog twice and Cro Cop, Hunt and 9 others has him tying with Cain for greatest HW of all time, IMHO.

If Cain beats Werdum and Barnett or Browne then he is the best HW ever but it's not a done deal yet, not for me anyway.

That's my two cents n anyways !

and for anyone interested here is every one of his fights in one video !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqa3-M7yECc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Am i the only one in Ireland who thinks McGregor come across as a bit simple??

He is undoubtedly a talented fighter but i find all of his interviews quite cringe, he comes across as a real "poor paddy" really making a point label dropping the whole time about things he bought! I mean does anyone really care he has a pair of ray bans now or bought a suit, its not that impressive in fairness? I feel like he is letting it all go to his head now and it will be his downfall... running around making videos the whole time, what happened to stay ready?

Also i thought slating everyone in the division bar Aldo was a really unprofessional thing to do and as much as i hope he goes on to do great things in the sport i think that will come back to haunt him! 1 loss now to a half decent fighter and he will look like a thick after all his mouthing! If he was put in with a decent wrestler next he would be beaten but Dana White and The UFC won't do that yet as they see the money making potential in building him up slowly!

I'm all for making your own publicity to get a name for yourself but in reality he has done **** all yet to be slating UFC veterans! A good hiding will soon set him straight and make him appreciate how hard some of those fighters have worked to be in the position they are for as long as they are! There are hundreds of fightes on the UFC books but only a certain amount are household names and they got that way by kicking ass not running there mouths before they have even proven anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I will be very surprised of McGregor doesn't headline. Look at the calibre of headliners on UK cards before. Is McGregor gonna be co main event while they try hype up two guys like Struve and miocic on the main event? How do you see those press conferences going? Conor will be main event and don't be surprised to see Normy as co-main.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'd go purely because it's in Dublin, i went to every UK/IRE card from 70 through to 93 but have just about given up now because they're charging the same prices as the top U.S cards and giving us much lower standard fighters.

He could well be the main event but i doubt it, co-main is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Xlami wrote: »
    I will be very surprised of McGregor doesn't headline. .
    They had said that they weren't aiming for Conor to headline. And that was before the injury. Selling out the O2 is irrelevant. It will sell out without Conor. And regardless the value for UFC comes from promoting it around the world, not to locals.

Parke will prob appear on the card. And maybe 2 or 3 others have a chance of a call. (TUF 19 dependant)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

scudzilla wrote: »
    Ihey're charging the same prices as the top U.S cards and giving us much lower standard fighters.

Ah come on, wee exaggeration? ;)

I've been to 2 top US cards, and the highest tickets were $1000 which at the time was about €750. Went to 99 in Germany and the dearest seats were €270 I think.

I paid around $300 each time for the 2 Vegas events I've been to and they were only about 2 sections better than the nosebleeds.

I agree about the crap cards though, as you know. That and the general mistreatment of European Fight Club fans has long been one of my gripes.

I'm all for making your own publicity to get a name for yourself

Clearly you're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Am i the only one in Ireland who thinks McGregor come across as a bit simple??

He is undoubtedly a talented fighter but i find all of his interviews quite cringe, he comes across as a real "poor paddy" really making a point label dropping the whole time about things he bought! I mean does anyone really care he has a pair of ray bans now or bought a suit, its not that impressive in fairness? I feel like he is letting it all go to his head now and it will be his downfall... running around making videos the whole time, what happened to stay ready?

What's the best thing a UFC fighter can do with his time while he's injured?
    Also i thought slating everyone in the division bar Aldo was a really unprofessional thing to do and as much as i hope he goes on to do great things in the sport i think that will come back to haunt him! 1 loss now to a half decent fighter and he will look like a thick after all his mouthing! If he was put in with a decent wrestler next he would be beaten but Dana White and The UFC won't do that yet as they see the money making potential in building him up slowly!

That's the point; he's committed in a way that few dare. Makes for interesting viewing though doesn't it? Hence the love, rise and wealth.
    I'm all for making your own publicity to get a name for yourself but in reality he has done **** all yet to be slating UFC veterans! A good hiding will soon set him straight and make him appreciate how hard some of those fighters have worked to be in the position they are for as long as they are! There are hundreds of fightes on the UFC books but only a certain amount are household names and they got that way by kicking ass not running there mouths before they have even proven anything!

He is winning the game they are playing and getting paid for it. Good for him.

And I think he'll headline alright, it comes down to this:

Q: Who is the fighter Irish people are most likely to pay money to see?
    A: Conor McGregor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement