Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Being so close to England this will sell out regardless tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

don't care about the international quality or top 10's on the card just wana see Irish lads get a shout personally coz the buzz would be bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

don't care about the international quality or top 10's on the card just wana see Irish lads get a shout personally coz the buzz would be bananas

Having been to my first MMA event a week or so ago (Battlezone 9) I can only confirm this. A UFC event would be that x 10. It'd be insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Gumbi wrote: »
    Having been to my first MMA event a week or so ago (Battlezone 9) I can only confirm this. A UFC event would be that x 10. It'd be insane.

You would be surprised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

UFC 93

from 0:15

Gotta Love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XdcBrdw-bk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Arawn wrote: »
    You would be surprised

Why? I was at ufc in sweden and the place erupted when the swedish guy came out against Mousasi. Its was unbelievable. So can ye imagine the o2 when Conor would come out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ray Mond wrote: »
    Why? I was at ufc in sweden and the place erupted when the swedish guy came out against Mousasi. Its was unbelievable. So can ye imagine the o2 when Conor would come out

yep, the welcome Marcus Davies got at 93 and he's a plastic paddy!!, Tom Egan also got a huge welcome.

Going back to Belfast for 72 and the roof came off when Big Col Robinson and Stevie Lynch came in, oh for an extra minute in the 1sdt round of Colins fight, he would have won

• Registered Users Posts: 39,129 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Xlami wrote: »
    Don't see a similar approach to Australlia as they have a much larger market.
    Sure they've a much larger population as a country as a whole. But NSW (where most were held is about the same pop as RoI & NI). You have to take the size of the place into account, interstate fans might as well be in a different country. Perth fans are a 4 or 5 hours flight away, NT further. That's like most european cites are closer than that to Dublin. Even Melbourne is sydney is the same as Dublin-London.

As you say the O2 would sell out regardless. So why waste a fight that can be used on a PPV for this card. This card would sell out if there was 22 guys making their debuts. The fans are thirsty for the brand.
    Because its not about selling tickets. PPV is the earner,
    UFC 93 did $1,300,000 gate.
    Buy rate was $350,000, at $50 a pop thats like $17,500,000

They can push Conor/Ireland in the US a lot better than Manchester, or Stolkholm. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I think it'll be a good card. Maybe a PPV.
    Conor and Norman are certs.
    Agree.
    Chris and Cathal will both be figuring on a UFC card this year.
    My TUF dependent, I meant the finale might not have aired by may, if either make it they'd be out of a dublin card. If they get knocked out they'll probably be on it.
    If Seery beats Gomez I think he's s offered a fight.

Holohan has a great chance if getting on the card.

If Redser can win on NYE and then after training in alliance I think he's a great chance of being on the card.

Then there's a few with an outside chance like Philpott.
    Paddy has the best chance here imo.

Prob the only one, but I'm hoping Conor isn't ready by May and the event is pushed back to 3rd quarter, say September.
    Mainly because I don't want to see a rushed recovery, and also I'll be in Ireland later in the year. Obviously not wishing him any badness or anything, still feels a bit bad hoping for longer wait though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Mellor wrote: »
    Prob the only one, but I'm hoping Conor isn't ready by May and the event is pushed back to 3rd quarter, say September.
    Mainly because I don't want to see a rushed recovery, and also I'll be in Ireland later in the year. Obviously not wishing him any badness or anything, still feels a bit bad hoping for longer wait though.

+1 to this.

I'll be home in October so hopefully it's on then. Not arsed making 2 trips home next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I hope he is ready soon and fights April at latest, he will prob want another fight be Sept. Don't want him getting rusty. If it is going as well as he says that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Still hoping for Connor V Jeremy Stephens fight:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sure they've a much larger population as a country as a whole. But NSW (where most were held is about the same pop as RoI & NI). You have to take the size of the place into account, interstate fans might as well be in a different country. Perth fans are a 4 or 5 hours flight away, NT further. That's like most european cites are closer than that to Dublin. Even Melbourne is sydney is the same as Dublin-London.
    This is true, but they do have a far larger fan culture behind it because most of the PPV events are on Sunday afternoons over there and on in the majority of pubs. From about October - March the NRL and AFL are out of season also which gives very little for the UFC to compete with in those timeslots.

There's also the fact that the NSW/ACT have a combined population of about 7.5mn, most of which is within a 5-6 hour drive of Sydney (which to Australians isn't all that long).

Of course as you brought up PPVs, and that is where we have an advantage over Australia in relation to our timezones and the USA's.

Billy86 wrote: »
    This is true, but they do have a far larger fan culture behind it because most of the PPV events are on Sunday afternoons over there and on in the majority of pubs. From about October - March the NRL and AFL are out of season also which gives very little for the UFC to compete with in those timeslots.
    Sunday morning, starting at 10am or 12pm (depending on daylight savings) so NFL and AFL aren't are in those slots during season any way.
    It's definite more accessible in Oz and more of a social sport due to timing. It will pick up casual viewers in that way but I don't necessarily think that it means there's more fans who would be willing to go see it.

FWIW Depending on the pub, a hug number of the fans will be Irish.
    There's also the fact that the NSW/ACT have a combined population of about 7.5mn, most of which is within a 5-6 hour drive of Sydney (which to Australians isn't all that long).
    That was exactly my point. The markets are very similar.
    NSW/ACT 7.5 million within driving distance.
    Ireland (RoI/NI) 6.4 million within driving distance.

Like I said, very similar markets.
    Of course as you brought up PPVs, and that is where we have an advantage over Australia in relation to our timezones and the USA's.
    Not really. Australian events are on Sunday morning local time also. Same routine for locals, and same time on Saturday in US. There's no change from normal events.

That's the biggest obstacle for euro cards imo.
    Pushing the euro start back lessens the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

That's the biggest obstacle for euro cards imo.
    Pushing the euro start back lessens the impact.

Just wondering and these times aren't perfect but say roughly UK and Ireland cards start at half 6 til 11 Irish time. Half 1 til 6 Eastern time. Is there anything to stop the UFC making the cards half 9 til 2 Irish time; which is 4 til half 9 eastern time.

Is this possible or does compromise suit neither Europe or US?

Just wondering and these times aren't perfect but say roughly UK and Ireland cards start at half 6 til 11 Irish time. Half 1 til 6 Eastern time. Is there anything to stop the UFC making the cards half 9 til 2 Irish time; which is 4 til half 9 eastern time.

Is this possible or does compromise suit neither Europe or US?

That's roughly what I was thinking by pushing them back, 8 to 1 even.
    I don't think irish/european culture has an issue with it being later. Out until 2,3,4am is pretty standard. There might be a concern that later start = drunker fans, but i'm not sure its an issue, I'm sure plenty of shorter start at 8 or 9.

There might be noise issues with the council, but its a fairly industrial area so should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

That's roughly what I was thinking by pushing them back, 8 to 1 even.
    I don't think irish/european culture has an issue with it being later. Out until 2,3,4am is pretty standard. There might be a concern that later start = drunker fans, but i'm not sure its an issue, I'm sure plenty of shorter start at 8 or 9.

There might be noise issues with the council, but its a fairly industrial area so should be grand.

Don't think they are allowed to have anything on in the o2 past like 11.30 or something. That many people spilling out onto the streets at 2/3am doubt they would allow it. It probaly wont be a PPV anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

srumball wrote: »
    Don't think they are allowed to have anything on in the o2 past like 11.30 or something. That many people spilling out onto the streets at 2/3am doubt they would allow it. It probaly wont be a PPV anyway

God forbid people might try and go to the pubs/clubs that are already closed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Cole Miller Vs. Sam Sicilia early January. Miller likes to stay active if he wins this wonder if he'll look for Conor again.

http://themmareport.com/2013/11/ufc-fight-night-35-set-for-january-15th-in-atlanta/

• Advertisement

Sunday morning, starting at 10am or 12pm (depending on daylight savings) so NFL and AFL aren't are in those slots during season any way.
    It's definite more accessible in Oz and more of a social sport due to timing. It will pick up casual viewers in that way but I don't necessarily think that it means there's more fans who would be willing to go see it.

FWIW Depending on the pub, a hug number of the fans will be Irish.
    Do you now which timezone in the US that is on - east or west coast?

Just curious since I remember going into Churchills in Kingsford a few times around 1-3 and seeing it on (if you're ever there, the bakey with the crazy-looking Vietnamese guy and the chicken in the Korean BBQ chicken place are outrageously tasty, across the road just by IGA).

Trust me I know - I spent the guts of my time there avoiding Scruffy's, the Tea Gardens, Cock and Bull, etc like the plague. :p

Also didn't know that about Australian cards being on in the morning over there, they only had one when I was over. Still, they're such a morning bunch it might work to an extent but still I think would hurt the atmosphere a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Cole Miller Vs. Sam Sicilia early January. Miller likes to stay active if he wins this wonder if he'll look for Conor again.

http://themmareport.com/2013/11/ufc-fight-night-35-set-for-january-15th-in-atlanta/

Hope Miller wins this, he is a big enough scalp for Conor early on in his UFC career

Billy86 wrote: »
    Do you now which timezone in the US that is on - east or west coast?

Just curious since I remember going into Churchills in Kingsford a few times around 1-3 and seeing it on (if you're ever there, the bakey with the crazy-looking Vietnamese guy and the chicken in the Korean BBQ chicken place are outrageously tasty, across the road just by IGA).
    Not sure about the US timezone what ever the normal time is for UFC events.
    I know churchhills well, I used to live behind it.
    Trust me I know - I spent the guts of my time there avoiding Scruffy's, the Tea Gardens, Cock and Bull, etc like the plague. :p
    Haven't watched one in scruffys, but I quite like TeaGardens for fights, lots of screens and the sound is up
    Also didn't know that about Australian cards being on in the morning over there, they only had one when I was over. Still, they're such a morning bunch it might work to an extent but still I think would hurt the atmosphere a bit.
    I think evening cards would be better for athmosphere, but the morning isn't bad simply because its routine.
    Basically you watch the UFC and then go for pints. Also by the time the ME is on, you've most of a session drank.

Tea Gardens can be handy for that, I just hate the whole Bondi Jn area in general really, too many people in denial that they're in another country, ha! Cheers would probably be another good bet?

Think I know the street you mean behind Churchills, small world - we were at the top of Meeks Street - absolute nightmare to tackle on after work on a humid day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Just saw an interview where Connor states he is looking for one (easy) fight before he fights in Dublin in a 'meaningful fight'.

The easy fight he wants is Sanchez at 155;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

UFC won't allow it Diego would shred him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Diego would unleash the yes cartwheel from hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭omeatheopian

Himself and Norman Parke were having a go at eachother on Twitter yesterday. Started by Conor of course.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Himself and Norman Parke were having a go at eachother on Twitter yesterday. Started by Conor of course.....

What did Conor get in trouble for?? Something he tweeted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Anyone care to summarise for us twitter-phobes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement