Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Not all the money is coming from Europe. We have to stump up a fair whack of it AFAIK. Also I think Digital Agenda target isn't mandatory, more of a guideline.

Anyway - do you honestly think that a SF/AAA/PBP majority is going to let this project get off the ground??? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    what the likely hood of them getting into power it mainly between FG and FF and they both promised fibre.The 30mb and 6mb is the guideline speed but not the target and most the bidders are offering higher speeds than the 30mb in there submissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

This question isn't really related to the broadband rollout but does anybody know what mapping technology OpenEir use on their maps? The satellite overlay is much higher resolution than what you get on google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

xxyyzz wrote: »
    This question isn't really related to the broadband rollout but does anybody know what mapping technology OpenEir use on their maps? The satellite overlay is much higher resolution than what you get on google maps.

http://www.bing.com/maps/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

They don't actually use Bing Maps - they use Google along with Mapbox. Google's satellite imagery is more up to date with their API than it is on the own site.

• Advertisement

They don't actually use Bing Maps - they use Google along with Mapbox. Google's satellite imagery is more up to date with their API than it is on the own site.

Thanks, the area I was looking at is much higher resolution on bing maps than google maps anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Hi, I have been given the choice of a Samsung UE43J5500 (2015 model) and a UE40H6400 (2014 model). Both cost €489.00. I am wondering which I should get. The 40-43 inch screen size does not bother me but I am wondering about getting apps like RTÉ Player and everything. I know the UE43J5500 does not have it yet but RTÉ say the app is in its late stages of development. My question is should I get the 2015 one with the new Tizen OS and have it that bit more future proofed or would it be more beneficial to go to the 2014 model seeing as it is that bit smarter with voice control and 3D etc. Also can anyone say which one is better for someone like me. I just want to use saorview, scart for old skybox and watch RTÉ Player and 4oD (is 4oD available in Ireland on either the old or new OS?) from time to time. Also does anyone know does the 2D-3D converter actually work on the 40H6400?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Sorry I pasted this into the wrong thread. Anyone here got any advice anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

daraghwal wrote: »
    Sorry I pasted this into the wrong thread. Anyone here got any advice anyway?

You should probably just go with the ALBA, you'd be getting great amount of cash left over and still reaping the rewards of having your own telly.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3595048/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/3|cat_19780832|Televisions|14419667.htm

It's a snip at that price, you'll be thanking me later, I know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Waiting 5 months now for the exchange to be enabled after turning to green on the map. Wouldn't mind but it has bad congestion at peak hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Waiting 5 months now for the exchange to be enabled after turning to green on the map. Wouldn't mind but it has bad congestion at peak hours

We've been waiting since our cab went live in 2013.
    Eventually some houses on the road got FTTC, but about 75% cant. And its totally random. One next door neighbor gets it, then 6 months later the other neighbor gets it, but you dont, then another few months later a few more houses further down the ine get it, but all the time you cant.
    Its so frustrating.

Changed from 6 months when I enter my number to 6 weeks today, so I'm hopeful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭BandMember

Don't be! The exchange I'm waiting on has bounced from within 6 weeks to 6 months to within a year and back around again at least 7 times in the last year!! Gone to within 6 weeks again now (think that's about the 5th time in the last 6 months!) but I have no faith in that map or Eir until I see the exchange officially live. If you look at the where and when map, they've pretty much changed all the "in progress" exchanges/cabs back to the planning stage all over the West coast. I think they're stalling on the NBP bid to be honest.

Anyway, sorry to be so negative, but all I can say is don't get your hopes up yet... :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AidenL

I have a cabinet 1km away, half the members on the road have been upgraded, the other half, nothing, and no indication as to when they might be.

Seems the cabinet is mainly to serve the housing estate closes to it, and a spur out the road, but its not going to where is indicated on the map, only halfway instead.

Ive lost all faith in maps and guides to be honest. I'll believe I have fibre the day I see it being connected up !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A ridiculous amount of exchanges were changed to within 6 weeks today. I'd reckon only a handful will actually be done within these 6 weeks but I'll remain optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

marno21 wrote: »
    A ridiculous amount of exchanges were changed to within 6 weeks today. I'd reckon only a handful will actually be done within these 6 weeks but I'll remain optimistic.
    Yea, including mine....for the 5th or 6th time in the last 12 months.....really ****ing annoying....I actually put in a complaint to the advertising authority specifically about the inaccuracy of the map..... Waste of time, but strangely therapeutic :-)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mine has changed to within 6 weeks and before it was always within 1 year etc.

Work has started at the exchange, as I live across from it I can see vans whenever I'm passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,527 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My local exchange went to availability within 6 weeks in early Jan but by mid Feb had gone back to 6 months, checking today it's now back to 6 weeks.

The exchange is ready according to eir's techs on the ground over the last 2 months, just waiting for the fibre to be connected to the exchange. KNN/MCS have been running the fibre to the exchange over the last few weeks which appears to be complete now except for the manhole work to be completed, a few of those blue KN barriers lying on manholes and in one location over a bridge 2-3m of the cable still exposed and surrounded by a number of barriers.

Fiddlesticks. :(

The Cush wrote: »
    My local exchange went to availability within 6 weeks in early Jan but by mid Feb had gone back to 6 months, checking today it's now back to 6 weeks.

The exchange is ready according to eir's techs on the ground over the last 2 months, just waiting for the fibre to be connected to the exchange. KNN/MCS have been running the fibre to the exchange over the last few weeks which appears to be complete now except for the manhole work to be completed, a few of those blue KN barriers lying on manholes and in one location over a bridge 2-3m of the cable still exposed and surrounded by a number of barriers.

If you hover over your actual exchange cabinet on fibrerollout.ie is it Fibre Build Commenced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,527 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

is it Fibre Build Commenced?

Back in Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭BandMember

If you hover over your actual exchange cabinet on fibrerollout.ie is it Fibre Build Commenced?

The exchange I'm waiting for has said that since last summer. I don't even see it going live this summer to be honest.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

my date for the cab going live has jumped to 2099 crazy stuff

Screenshot_2.png

curryman wrote: »

Screenshot_2.png

Perhaps they're rounding up the nearest hundred :pac:

System is a mess alright

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

curryman wrote: »

Screenshot_2.png

Stop using the eir retail site. Use OpenEir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

My local exchange has said "Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress" since I first checked it November last year. WHo knows how long before that it had that status.

When that is due to be completed is anyone's guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

My local exchange has said "Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress" since I first checked it November last year. WHo knows how long before that it had that status.

When that is due to be completed is anyone's guess.

It could be completed, Eir have to wait three months after completion before they're allowed to sell on it. The regulator insists on this so all providers have an even chance to sell and Eir don't get an advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

It could be completed, Eir have to wait three months after completion before they're allowed to sell on it. The regulator insists on this so all providers have an even chance to sell and Eir don't get an advantage

So there is a 3 month delay after completion? Thats just ridiculous, a couple of weeks for others to be updated, thats all it should require.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

So there is a 3 month delay after completion? Thats just ridiculous, a couple of weeks for others to be updated, thats all it should require.

That's set by Comreg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The RAP notice period is 1 month not 3 I'm reasonably sure.

Advertisement