Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

BandMember wrote: »
    Ha! I knew it!! All the dates have been completely pushed back from Jan-Mar 2016 to "within one year"! What an absolute joke!! :mad::mad::mad: Also, how can that map tell a completely different story to the fibre where and when map?? :confused:

The company may have a new name, but it looks like the same old story to me....

I think the old map was misleading - in that they coloured the whole exchange boundaries as green which lead to people incorrectly thinking that they could get efibre. Perhaps the time scales where too optimistic as well.

If they have slowed down or scaled back FTTC/eVDSL work, then I hope they have started to move to FTTH work...(for my sake) :D

Would be a shame to think they have sat back a bit now they have a x % foothold in areas. But like you say it's stil good old 'Eircom' underneath...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

The Cush wrote: »
    2.3 Km is still too far, max from a vectored cab is 2Km and about 1.7Km from an exchange.
    Thanks but my ambitions are very modest. I just want to be able to have something more than my current 1MB in order to be able to stream TV. I have long given up on ever getting more than 10MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

How does this work exactly? Im looking at the map for the Headford area (county Galway) and it shows one Live box for 330 premises....but then theres another cabinet planned?

How near do you have to be as it seems a bit odd they need two cabinets for one small area?

joe123 wrote: »
    How does this work exactly? Im looking at the map for the Headford area (county Galway) and it shows one Live box for 330 premises....but then theres another cabinet planned?

How near do you have to be as it seems a bit odd they need two cabinets for one small area?

In Headford only the Exchange has VDSL. The other two (FTTC) cabinets are planned as you saw. I know where the South one is supposed to go and only the green telephone cab is there (no VDSL cab yet). That kinda makes sense not to be done in a hurry as I'd imagine there is very little connected from there. Perhaps the newish estate that still has unfinished houses.

The one along the main st towards Shrule though should be done as there must be many houses beyond connecting to it - (well you'd have thought anyhow..)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,490 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Thanks but my ambitions are very modest. I just want to be able to have something more than my current 1MB in order to be able to stream TV. I have long given up on ever getting more than 10MB.

Input your phone no. here and post the exchange details, someone will be able to advise further.

• Advertisement

Input your phone no. here and post the exchange details, someone will be able to advise further.

Thank you, but I have tried numerous versions of this and most say UP TO 24mb. Actual line tests by 2 ISP's show I should receive 4mb. Sadly even that is incorrect as it becomes unstable unless I am capped at 1mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm only 200m from a cabinet. Fierce annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,490 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Thank you, but I have tried numerous versions of this and most say UP TO 24mb. Actual line tests by 2 ISP's show I should receive 4mb. Sadly even that is incorrect as it becomes unstable unless I am capped at 1mb.

My brother is 4km from the local exchange, line checker says 10mb, modem syncs at 7168, attenuation 41dB (Vodafone), best speed about 6mb but this can drop way down to 1mb evenings/weekends.

You're about 6.6km from the exchange, what's your downstream attenuation reading from the modem stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Hi guys,
    A new cabinet (small-ish green box!) was newly installed in my estate a couple of weeks ago, next to the old larger green cabinet. However, on the Eir rollout where/when map, it still says "planned" for this cabinet. If I look at Eir's new rollout map (https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/) it actually says "available within 1 year"!

Surely if they've installed the new cabinet, it should be available in a matter of weeks or am I hopelessly optimistic? What's the typical lead time between new cabinet being put in place to actually going live?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Surely if they've installed the new cabinet, it should be available in a matter of weeks or am I hopelessly optimistic? What's the typical lead time between new cabinet being put in place to actually going live?

How long is a piece of string?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hi guys,
    A new cabinet (small-ish green box!) was newly installed in my estate a couple of weeks ago, next to the old larger green cabinet. However, on the Eir rollout where/when map, it still says "planned" for this cabinet. If I look at Eir's new rollout map (https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/) it actually says "available within 1 year"!

The one outside my window has had commenced on it for months now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

hmmm, so I could be in for a bit of a wait then... :(

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

hmmm, so I could be in for a bit of a wait then... :(

The one beside me was 9 months from installation to activation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

ED E wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string?

Shirely Like !. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Be careful what you wish for, if your eagerly awaiting so called eir fibre.
    From the checker a few posts back.

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 7 MB

LLU Enabled: No

LAd sits beside me here in work lives in Douglas area of cork city got the FTTH conection the other day ,its being sold as 1GB fiber and he is only getting 500MB off the sucker . Seems Eir may be reserving the higher speeds for an extra bit of mulla.

dbit wrote: »
    LAd sits beside me here in work lives in Douglas area of cork city got the FTTH conection the other day ,its being sold as 1GB fiber and he is only getting 500MB off the sucker . Seems Eir may be reserving the higher speeds for an extra bit of mulla.

Only 500Mb... how is he surviving....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

MBSnr wrote: »

How much is he paying is what I would like to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

MBSnr wrote: »

What's he using to measure, could easily nd the limit of the hardware

HE is a tekkie and has done all the tests correctly , paying 80 euro and is about to call them about it . Tested with 1 GB nic direct no wifi or EOM blocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

HE is a tekkie and has done all the tests correctly , paying 80 euro and is about to call them about it . Tested with 1 GB nic direct no wifi or EOM blocks.

Holy fark! €80? Really, is it worth it? I think not.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Holy fark! €80? Really, is it worth it? I think not.

I certainly dont think so .

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭paddyman

A 1 GigaBit NIC is limited to about 125MB. I dont see how you can test a 1GB line on one.

paddyman wrote: »
    A 1 GigaBit NIC is limited to about 125MB. I dont see how you can test a 1GB line on one.

Mbit not Mbyte its the way isps sell broadband knocks the translation about in your head .

IE upc 240 MB line will transfer @ 24MBs or if testing that on speedtest.net will show 240Mbits 8 bits in a byte.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

paddyman wrote: »

Ah we know what we meant! Case is important though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Has anyone who has the 1GB service actually got the full speed? Without the full speed I will stick with UPC 240Mb. I dont really need the 1GB, but I want it for bragging rights!

Has anyone who has the 1GB service actually got the full speed? Without the full speed I will stick with UPC 240Mb. I dont really need the 1GB, but I want it for bragging rights!

You won't get it. Not until you move to 10Gb kit, NIC and CPE. Right now thats probably €400 worth of parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

ED E wrote: »
    You won't get it. Not until you move to 10Gb kit, NIC and CPE. Right now thats probably €400 worth of parts.

Do you have any more info on these parts? I have no problem spending unlimited amounts on my PC.

Why do I need 10Gb kit when its a 1Gb service?

Do you have any more info on these parts? I have no problem spending unlimited amounts on my PC.

Why do I need 10Gb kit when its a 1Gb service?

Because nothing in life is 100% efficient.

100Mb links give you about 90-95Mb, same applies to 1GB links.

Amazon will give you a 10G NIC. Getting a GPON ONT with 10GB port, no idea.

• Advertisement

My brother is 4km from the local exchange, line checker says 10mb, modem syncs at 7168, attenuation 41dB (Vodafone), best speed about 6mb but this can drop way down to 1mb evenings/weekends.

You're about 6.6km from the exchange, what's your downstream attenuation reading from the modem stats?

Sorry for late reply but was waiting for my switch over to SKY to complete

I am getting 50dB down and 25dB up. So I thought I should get around 4mb

Advertisement