Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

ED E wrote: »
    Its next gen as its on decent backhaul so it doesnt congest too much, compared to legacy DSL thats totally overloaded.

MRM isnt live at all yet it would appear:
    MRM1_002 due 06/08/14
    MRM1_003 due 06/08/14
    MRM1_009 due 06/08/14
    MRM1_010 due 06/08/14
    MRM1_005 due 06/08/14

By your description though you're on a direct fed line. Thos arent getting VDSL yet except trialists until comreg and the line ops come to a deal on how it will be sold. Give it a few months and theres a good chance youll get it.

Yeah I hear ya but they have flagged on standard coverage map that macroom is now live none of the cabinets are live and the main exch is not live, they say im on MRMA - and not any of the cabinets listed so i would have imagined that MRMA would be live before the cabinets as MRMA is the central exchange for the town. I have adsl and vdsl modems (With modded firmware) and can probe the exchange no vectoring is live on MRMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dbit wrote: »
    Yeah I hear ya but they have flagged on standard coverage map that macroom is now live none of the cabinets are live and the main exch is not live, they say im on MRMA - and not any of the cabinets listed so i would have imagined that MRMA would be live before the cabinets as MRMA is the central exchange for the town. I have adsl and vdsl modems (With modded firmware) and can probe the exchange no vectoring is live on MRMA.

MRMA is your AXE code I think, as in there would be MRM A, MRM B, and so on depending on size. Probably not many for a smaller town like macroom.

The exchanges are going live AFTER the cabs, as they have to work out how LLU or Local Loop Unbundling will work in those situations. Its highly regulated. Eircom have been getting ready for it but cant sell it until comreg says go.

Its annoying, but you'll likely have it soon unlike many who will be stuck on DSL for a few years more at least. Thats at least some consolation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cab nearest me is due to go live on 23rd,eircom and vodafone site are offering to take order.
    Not sure what to do,expect to be told of delay after i order since cabs arent actually live yet.
    Also unsure who to go with eircom of vodafone.
    I see vodafone offer a simply broadband ,im guessing which doesnt include phone,if i go with this will the bb be every bit as sold as with a phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Dcully wrote: »
    Cab nearest me is due to go live on 23rd,eircom and vodafone site are offering to take order.
    Not sure what to do,expect to be told of delay after i order since cabs arent actually live yet.
    They'll take an order, but the eircom wholesale system won't accept it until the 23rd. On the 23rd a port/installation date can be allocated.

ED E wrote: »
    MRMA is your AXE code I think, as in there would be MRM A, MRM B, and so on depending on size. Probably not many for a smaller town like macroom.

The exchanges are going live AFTER the cabs, as they have to work out how LLU or Local Loop Unbundling will work in those situations. Its highly regulated. Eircom have been getting ready for it but cant sell it until comreg says go.

Its annoying, but you'll likely have it soon unlike many who will be stuck on DSL for a few years more at least. Thats at least some consolation.

I would love to have the level of optimism you hold for Eircom's roadmap. They allowed someone on the support chain tell me I will never get it and NGB is all i can ever expect , daunting to see the cabinets going green and to have that feeling of - I wont be live for some months to come in relation to fibre. I moved to Macroom on the basis I would have firbre as per the site coverage maps. I Work as Virtual Datacenter / Cloud admin and throughput is so important NGB does not even come close to delivering with 76kbs upload .

Still you are correct i have not much to complain about when looking to others around the country , Cavans ESB tests are running nicely and the 1000MB to the home is not too far away poor poor Eircom's days are numbered. Moved away from upc int he city and man Ericoms network is still piss poor. ( Not to mention the support people and the types of things they say to people on the phone)

• Advertisement

I would love to have the level of optimism you hold for Eircom's roadmap. They allowed someone on the support chain tell me I will never get it and NGB is all i can ever expect , daunting to see the cabinets going green and to have that feeling of - I wont be live for some months to come in relation to fibre. I moved to Macroom on the basis I would have firbre as per the site coverage maps. I Work as Virtual Datacenter / Cloud admin and throughput is so important NGB does not even come close to delivering with 76kbs upload .

Still you are correct i have not much to complain about when looking to others around the country , Cavans ESB tests are running nicely and the 1000MB to the home is not too far away poor poor Eircom's days are numbered. Moved away from upc int he city and man Ericoms network is still piss poor. ( Not to mention the support people and the types of things they say to people on the phone)

Ignore whoever it was you spoke to, chances are they didnt have much of a technical background.

Going on the 900m cable path you appear to be on you should get a 30Mb sync.
    http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

At 30 Down that allows for 8Mb upstream which should be plenty for RDP/similar and the surrounding VPN. The lower latency of VDSL will help too as your first or second hop will be publicly routed.

EDIT:Forgot thats pre vectoring speeds. Go for 40 and 10 after vectoring, if not 50 and 10.

Cheers Ed E,

I am guestimating the distance , im guessing the MRMA is the main exchange in the village (Housed in the main exchange building) where the two back bone runs for fibre lines inter connect for macroom ( It is flagged as you say after the date for the cabinets so your info is accurate) , I may have a something closer if that is the case .

The lines im on are obviously over 30-40-50 years old hence why im routed down the main road into the village and not on one of the new shiny cabinets as those areas are newer with new housing estates etc..

My NGB has been hitting 17MB no worries and im tempted to bluff the stats via my modded modem to report false SNR and ERR rates so the dslam gives me more speed in. ( IT is my understanding that this is how the exchange unit determines your speed or connection config)- This will affect stability im aware but if i can knock it up ............

Cheers for your world of info very helpful Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Taken from over at the Talk to Eircom board.............

Regarding continuing delays in Askeaton, Co. Limerick

Alan, Eircom - "I have been in contact with efibre operations to see if they can offer me more information surrounding Askeaton, they did specifically mention that they cannot give a guaranteed date but in consideration of progress so far in planning they do feel that efibre should reach Askeaton by the end of September - although we would ask you to treat this timeframe as indicative at this stage."

So it gets pushed out by yet another month :rolleyes:

Had it out with the tweeters and Forum mods - ill be 2015 before i see efiber. Heres hoping ESB get their networks up lickity split. Ridiculous that the main street of a town gets over looked due to subscription rate ramp ups being higher in large housing estates versus old school Irish main through road village type towns, in that the subscription rates would be lower from long runs on older frameworks. Not to mention the cost to deploying correct LLU infuriating !!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Taken from over at the Talk to Eircom board.............

Regarding continuing delays in Askeaton, Co. Limerick

Alan, Eircom - "I have been in contact with efibre operations to see if they can offer me more information surrounding Askeaton, they did specifically mention that they cannot give a guaranteed date but in consideration of progress so far in planning they do feel that efibre should reach Askeaton by the end of September - although we would ask you to treat this timeframe as indicative at this stage."

So it gets pushed out by yet another month :rolleyes:

Courtown, wexford area just got pushed out by another 3 months. Wonder if the anglo boys are working in eircom now and just pulling timeframes out of their a**e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jowkon

logic wrote: »
    Courtown, wexford area just got pushed out by another 3 months. Wonder if the anglo boys are working in eircom now and just pulling timeframes out of their a**e

logic Courtown was pushed out about 6 weeks ago. That was 2 days Mr Alan from Eircom answered my doubts If July is still possible cos there are no cabinets yet. Hi said something like this "bla boa if there will be then there will be but if not then still will be bla bla and everything is great and OK" He ignored my question when I asked for more specific answer (yes or no?) 2 days later map changed - September :). This is useless as the map and eircom rep follow eircom policy: "blablabla we will see what happened, We are always right blabla!"
    Anyway we can only wait and there is no point for their speculations.
    BTW Im affright it will not be September yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Seansweeney

Whats the estimated time between the cabinets being active and people actually getting fibre broadband from them? I'm living in Celbridge and it has been green and active for about 2 months now.

Eircom still can't give me any sort of estimate of when I will get connected. Its only about 200m from my house too.

Push it ESB push it real good .!! Have always hated Eircom and stuck with them for now . Wont be long now , that'll do pig, that'll Do.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Anyone got any information on Clonakilty exchange. It is confusing me to see towns with a lower population like Skibbereen, Macroom, Kinsale, Bantry all fibre enabled (or due to be enabled) before Clonakilty.

Macroom is not ALL Live scumbags in eircom with LLU and deep greedy investor driven pockets . that is all . Burn Eircom to the ground .

What is it like 700 quid for a fibre bonding kit nearly knock on the door and do it myself dirt birts.

Macroom is not ALL Live scumbags in eircom with LLU and deep greedy investor driven pockets . that is all . Burn Eircom to the ground .

I guess you are on a direct fed line? It's a pain, but you'll have to wait until eircom wholesale, the ISPs and Comreg sign off on the processes after testing is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

griffzinho wrote: »
    Anyone got any information on Clonakilty exchange. It is confusing me to see towns with a lower population like Skibbereen, Macroom, Kinsale, Bantry all fibre enabled (or due to be enabled) before Clonakilty.

The latest map show October. But I wouldn't bet on it. They keep adding a few months every time the date gets near. I'd say half of the town of Clon are direct feeds from the exchange and they won't get fibre even when it arrives at the cabs until Commreg approves it. As you are aware the exchange in Clon has had fibre for years and years. I even saw the orange cable in the ducts (when they were repairing the lightning damage last December) heading off towards Skibb. Hard to know why we have therefore been bypassed. I am hoping that a town our size will get the ESB fibre in the second round. So Eircom's reign will end but not for a few years.

DDM cab 20 has its sticker now (within the last week), not RFO though yet.

jd wrote: »
    I guess you are on a direct fed line? It's a pain, but you'll have to wait until eircom wholesale, the ISPs and Comreg sign off on the processes after testing is finished.

Yup hangin off MRMA in the main exchange building in Macroom SNR's and aATTs are spot on .

Any body Know how to get on the test phase ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 d4lc

Eircom had my area as August, now changed to October, presumably in October this will change to January 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

d4lc wrote: »
    Eircom had my area as August, now changed to October, presumably in October this will change to January 2015

It is possible that your area could go live in October that is if you spot cabinets being put in and labelled with a yellow sticker. That's no guarantee that your line would be activated for possibly 6 months plus after that however if you're lucky.

Where my folks live in Kildare there are 2 cabinets on each end of their road. According to Eircom they have been live since April. However when they asked about connecting to eFibre they were told it would be at least October before the lines in their road would be enabled. Frankly I would not hold out much hope of that happening this year. The long and short of it Eircom are the most incompetent company to ever have dealings with and its a shame they are still trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

cunnijo wrote: »
    It is possible that your area could go live in October that is if you spot cabinets being put in and labelled with a yellow sticker. That's no guarantee that your line would be activated for possibly 6 months plus after that however if you're lucky.

Where my folks live in Kildare there are 2 cabinets on each end of their road. According to Eircom they have been live since April. However when they asked about connecting to eFibre they were told it would be at least October before the lines in their road would be enabled. Frankly I would not hold out much hope of that happening this year. The long and short of it Eircom are the most incompetent company to ever have dealings with and its a shame they are still trading.

If Eircom stop trading we have no fixed line communications system. The last thing Ireland needs is Eircom to change hands again and be further asset stripped. Considering the age/condition of the copper network I think Eircom have done a brilliant job.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

jca wrote: »
    If Eircom stop trading we have no fixed line communications system. The last thing Ireland needs is Eircom to change hands again and be further asset stripped. Considering the age/condition of the copper network I think Eircom have done a brilliant job.

OK I take your point. Just giving an opinion from the experiences we have had with them. The biggest mistake of all was for the state to sell Telecom Eireann lock stock & barrel. If it held the infrastructure and just sold the company then possibly it would be a different scenario.

However with the advent of cable, mobile, fixed wireless and potentially fibre using the existing power lines (ESB/Vodafone project) the need for a copper line infrastructure will become less and less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

finally getting it installed tomorrow after waiting over a year!
    now just hoping he turns up
    he said between 1pm - 5pm
    took day of work so if he don't show I'll show up ah his house :L
    seriously though just nearly a year, I feel bad for people who got pushed back even further I KNOW HOW IT FEELS.
    Only reason I have not switched is because I complained on the phone to them every month it got pushed back the closer it got to supposedly been live. They gave me a decent discount on a new contract for 18months so I took it, so if anyone else is still waiting I suggest you keep ringing them and threaten to leave until you get a good deal.

Anyhow, Drimnagh/Crumlin and Walkinstown Areas are now live, fair few cabinets within the d12 area are not live but most of the main road ones are or ones near the bigger estates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

it's the lies they tell, Enfield is live according to their efibre map, but not one of their cabinets is. There are no efibre customers live in the area. their own networks map shows every cabinet in progress.

Tell the damn truth and there would be a lot less ill will towards you Eircom.

it's the lies they tell, Enfield is live according to their efibre map, but not one of their cabinets is. There are no efibre customers live in the area. their own networks map shows every cabinet in progress.

Tell the damn truth and there would be a lot less ill will towards you Eircom.

I put in some Enfield addresses here and some are coming up as in a fibre related area. I presume this means that they are commissioned and eircom wholesale will accept orders from the retail isps within the next 28 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

back in June, a vodafone guy was going round the doors selling efibre, said as soon as you see a cabinet then its ready and just call up to activate it. Obviously that's not the case, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

logic wrote: »
    back in June, a vodafone guy was going round the doors selling efibre, said as soon as you see a cabinet then its ready and just call up to activate it. Obviously that's not the case, is it?

Not generally. Mine was only available to order several months after both power and cabinet had gone in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

My area has up its going live on the 27th of the month whats the best to do now eircom line checker says its enabled and taking orders i am with vodafone though and the line checker is saying not enabled.

Is it best to contact vodafone now to get my order in or does it matter if i wait till the 27th?

Advertisement