Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 marko61

Hi Jowkon,
    14 cabinets are needed in Kells with 7 cabinets installed towards the end of 2013 and went live early 2014 but that only covers half the town but its enough for Eircom to show its available on the Eircom map. The 3 cabinets I mapped today were only installed in the last few weeks but only 1 of them is live. I'm hoping the last 4 will be installed very soon and I can at last get efibre.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Can someone explain how I should be reading the map at http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/eircom-fibre-network

Will I be connected to the line that seems to run nearly through my house, or to the one 1.1KM away in the middle of cratloe, either way it looks like I'll be getting a fairly bad connection for another few years. The line to limerick is about 10x as far as the distance to the cratloe NR.

948563E306254B099C4B7CA82C20E396-0000355618-0003553104-00800L-3E45CB96DBEA4FD59B817C8C990F9CE1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Neither, they're main fibre links. Customers dont connect to them directly.

It goes: Core network points - local exchange - local fibre cab - customer.

The fibre runs into that exchange in town to the north of you, they need to break cabs out of there then connect you to one of them. Then you get better speed. Its a small area, are you direct fed to that exchange do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ED E wrote: »
    Neither, they're main fibre links. Customers dont connect to them directly.

It goes: Core network points - local exchange - local fibre cab - customer.

The fibre runs into that exchange in town to the north of you, they need to break cabs out of there then connect you to one of them. Then you get better speed. Its a small area, are you direct fed to that exchange do you know?

That makes a lot more sense. I don't know what exchange I'm on, is there a way I can find that out? Currently on 7168 kbps /384 kbps with Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 35 dB /17 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 15 dB /29 dB
    That works out to something like 1.5km from the exchange? Which is probably the distance to that NR on the map from where we are, if it goes by the roads.

Be nice to get 1gbit up and down :cool: maybe in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

That makes a lot more sense. I don't know what exchange I'm on, is there a way I can find that out?

http://irelandoffline.org/mapbeta/
    Click phone from the menu and type in the number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jowkon

@bealtine Thanks for the info is there any way to find out which cabinet?

@marko61 I know your pain. Counting days for my upgrade. Hopefully this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

jowkon wrote: »
    @bealtine Thanks for the info is there any way to find out which cabinet?

No sure way that I know of at this time...sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 9 darchangel

Hi,

Ive just added two new VDSL cabinets for Monasterevin. I went back to Eircoms NGB Rollout map to check the date for rollout completion as the work appears to have stalled. Those two boxes have been there for a few weeks and there is no sign of further work being done. The rollout date has changed from April 2014 to August 2014 while other areas around us Rathangan, Portarlington have the services already up and running.

Are we being overlooked yet again ?

darch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hi darkangel, i saw a crew working on the cab opposite the garda station the week before last for a few days.
    I also saw a crew with a small digger working on the planned site at super valu crossroads at the lights also the same week.

This map has it lised as July http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/
    Have you another map with refernce to August?

Either way its incredibly frustrating since all towns around as are now live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi darkangel, i saw a crew working on the cab opposite the garda station the week before last for a few days.
    I also saw a crew with a small digger working on the planned site at super valu crossroads at the lights also the same week.

This map has it lised as July http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/
    Have you another map with refernce to August?

Either way its incredibly frustrating since all towns around as are now live.

The map above is inaccurate yet again! It is saying Clontarf has availability for e-fibre now which is incorrect as there are no cabinets even installed yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Don't take any notice of Eircom maps.
    My town in the South West was May then June & now July.
    Of course that could be 2015.
    If there's a way to f*** something up then Eircom will surely find it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

they have started to do summerhill now, hopefully finished before the stated july

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

my area pushed back to july now
    hate eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭skydish79

Kn vans working on main street in ardee co.louth this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Baneblade wrote: »
    they have started to do summerhill now, hopefully finished before the stated july
    I might be moving to summerhill co Meath the broadband in house 4mb it little out of summerhill village would I likely get 20mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

im in the other summerhill, dublin north city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jpgkells

marko61 wrote: »
    At last I spotted my first VDSL Cabinet in Kells Co. Meath at the top of Maudlin Street. I will check the town tomorrow for more and post photos.:)

Does anyone have an update on the rollout in Kells. I'm 6k from the town and only getting 0.4 Mbps on ADSL. eFibre might boost this at least to allow streaming. I'm registered for interest but no info. Tooway satellite now collapses in the pm due to contention. Appreciate if anyone has the inside track??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Looks like the Cabs in Shankhill have finally been switched on, got leaflets in the door last week and reps knocking around

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Managed to find some potentially good news for those of us living in Donore County Meath (just outside Drogheda)... Although given my experience with Eircom its probably false hope.

Using this map here - http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

It seems there is a fibre broadband cabinet planned for Donore:

DLK1_001: ''Fibre Broadband Cabinet is planned for this location''

My house is approx 1000 metres from that box.

1. Anyone know where I could find out some more info about that cabinet?
    2. If in the off chance its gets enabled and I am connected to it, what kind of Fibre speed should I expect given I would be 1000 metres away?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

Bit of work done in Rathangan this week, one cabinet spotted and the ground work done at the front of the estate. hope it gets going soon, the web is so bad here in the evenings can't even watch youtube sd videos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I added a cabinet to the map at Beech Rd in Carlow a while ago but it is only showing on the map and not in the list. it was Carlow-CRW1_077-Beech Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

cabinet in at the entrance to the estate, eircom say next month but then the bomb shell, you can expect speeds of 15mb. please do not tell me this is the fiber speed. 15mb would be a huge improvement but i can see the cabinet from my house 50m max.

any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

cabinet in at the entrance to the estate, eircom say next month but then the bomb shell, you can expect speeds of 15mb. please do not tell me this is the fiber speed. 15mb would be a huge improvement but i can see the cabinet from my house 50m max.

any ideas?

Wait until it's connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

any ideas?

The cabinet may be 50m from your house but there's no guarantee that the wires run straight to the cabinet from your house.

For all we know, if it's an old enough estate the wires could be running off up the road and back down to the cabinet, unfortunately the only way to truly know it wait till its available and order it, then run a speed test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

any ideas?

If you're in the estate I'm thinking you're in then you should nearly be getting 15mb on ADSL from the exchange (PB?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Saw the first signs of MMT1_003 being built last night in Rathnew/Wicklow. Painted lines about cab size, with "CAB" written in the middle on the pavement next to the existing cab. How long from here to it actually happening I have no idea. Also there's every chance I'm connected directly to the Merrymeeting exchange and this cab wont be of any use!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

oVOtnRSl.jpg

Brightwater House, Church Bay Road, Crosshaven Co. Cork

To be enabled 25th June according to Eircom Wholesale. Up to 70mbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jowkon

To be enabled 25th June according to Eircom Wholesale. Up to 70mbs.[/QUOTE]

Nice one devil. Where exactly did you find this info"To be enabled 25th June"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

MMT1_003 cabinate now in place (and mapped :))! Didn't take them long. Now to see how long until it goes live...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

jowkon wrote: »

To be enabled 25th June according to Eircom Wholesale. Up to 70mbs.

Nice one devil. Where exactly did you find this info"To be enabled 25th June"?[/QUOTE]
    As I posted a while back the other cab is on Castle Point opposite the boatyard gate. That'll be great if it doesn't slip from "June" like it slipped from "May". Vodafone are insisting there's no fibre on offer in Crosshaven at all in the near future!

Advertisement