Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study of Radicalisation - 26 Irish Jihadis Fought in Syria

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Says the lad who hasn't lived here in a decade.:D

You seem quite focused on my movements between the UK and Ireland.

Odd, isn't it - how you don't like emigrants commenting on Ireland's affairs but you happily use the UK as an example to further your agenda.

Make up your mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

old hippy wrote: »
    Yes, you're so normal. Wanting justice, sorry, money to carry out the murders of some murderers. Very Taliban style, indeed.

Btw, it seems you've sidestepped my question about what you've learned from the banned re-reg poster :D

Calling for the death penalty for the two cretins who set their own house ablaze and killed their own children is a tad bit different than declaring a jihad.

If you honestly cannot see the difference, then I give up.

What you call a lad who would rather die than see a country he hasnt lived in for a decade - become less multicultural?

Calling for the death penalty for the two cretins who set their own house ablaze and killed their own children is a tad bit different than declaring a jihad.

If you honestly cannot see the difference, then I give up.

What you call a lad who would rather die than see a country he hasnt lived in for a decade - become less multicultural?

Again, you seem quite obsessed with where I live. Why do you say I'm not as Irish as you are? Is it a competition?

Why is this, why do you use the UK as an example to back your agenda when you don't live there?

There is no difference between one set of headbangers calling for murder and the likes of those here who call for murder. All to be avoided.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

And what have you learned from the thrice banned re-reg, Moff?
    To be careful what you post and not upset the mods. :cool:

To be careful what you post and not upset the mods. :cool:

I'm very careful at posting. I have nothing but love and respect for those who deserve it.

Did you like the re-reg asking me if my father is a Jew?

• Advertisement

I seem obsessed with where you live?

Buddy, you messaged me to tell me that you lived in London! You constantly bring it up - I never asked.

There is a difference between calling for the death penalty to be used on convicted murders and waging a jihad against non believers. Quite a big difference, in fact.

Yes, you're so normal. Wanting justice, sorry, money to carry out the murders of some murderers. Very Taliban style, indeed.

Btw, it seems you've sidestepped my question about what you've learned from the banned re-reg poster :D
    I raised a point that the hangmen back in the day in England were well paid to do a dirty job which i agreed with. Would you expect people who do what is considered to be a very dirty job to do it for nothing or would that make them a crazed blood luster in your eyes?? You can't have your cake and eat it on this one so stop trying to move the goalposts to AGAIN suit your agenda because you have been exposed more than a few times over the last week or so.

I seem obsessed with where you live?

Buddy, you messaged me to tell me that you lived in London! You constantly bring it up - I never asked.

There is a difference between calling for the death penalty to be used on convicted murders and waging a jihad against non believers. Quite a big difference, in fact.

I messaged you because you posted something about me that needed clarification. It was this post of yours on the Cameron to curb welfare for migrants thread:
    You are a second generation immigrant that doesnt even live in Ireland?

After setting you straight; you then told me that I wasn't as Irish as you & that you were glad I left your country as it was never, ever my country.

As for bringing London up; you originally asked where multiculturalism works - I said London, despite all the negative press from right wing provocateurs such as yourself.

Now, back to Jihadi's - why do you equate multiculturalism with extremism, why do you use the UK model as the basis for your argument?

Would you agree that the U.K. has a problem with islam? Would you agree that Ireland tends to ape British society, albeit, at a slower pace? If they have problems with islam, and they do, then us pursuing the same policies that caused their problems - is most foolish indeed.

As for multiculturalism, if Ireland didnt practice multiculturalism for the last decade or so (when did we vote on that?), I dare say we would not have 26 Irish based muslims running around Syria shouting allah akbar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

As for multiculturalism, if Ireland didnt practice multiculturalism for the last decade or so (when did we vote on that?), I dare say we would not have 26 Irish based muslims running around Syria shouting allah akbar.

Seeing as wherever theres trouble theres usually at least one irish man involved somehow, I've no idea where ye got that notion.

• Advertisement

I'm very careful at posting. I have nothing but love and respect for those who deserve it.

Did you like the re-reg asking me if my father is a Jew?
    Bull**** like that has nothing to do with what we chat about on here in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

Now, back to Jihadi's - why do you equate multiculturalism with extremism, why do you use the UK model as the basis for your argument?
    Most sane people equate multiculturalism with Islamic extremism because multicultural leftists approve of Islamism either explicity, or implicitly by their silence.

For example, some months ago I posted a BBC video detailing the activities of the "Cultural Bureau of the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia in the United Kingdom and Ireland."

teach children in the United Kingdom and possibly Ireland, that Jews were cursed by God, that all religions other than Islam are false their practicioners bound for Hellfire, that homosexual should be killed (either by stoning, fire, or throwing off a mountain. They also teach children that thieves should suffer amputation with detailed instructions on how to do so in compliance with Sharia law.

The thread descended into a farce and the general feeling that I got from the multicultural left was:
    Meh, there's no opportunity to bash Israel so I'm not interested
    By refusing to condemn this insanity and the culture associated with it, completely and unequivacly, I surmise that the multicultural left has no issue whatsoever with Islamic Salafism, Wahabbism and such like extremism.

And as such you remind me of Ilmar Reepalu, mayor of Malmo (which is on its way to being Islamised) who said that the Jewish community of that city had been infiltrated by "anti-Muslim agents" and that Jews who wanted to be safe in Malmo (from anti Semitic violence by Muslims) should "reject Zionism." I.E. victim blaming, sort of like the "she was asking for it" defense that civilised society (but not Islamic society, even in multicultural Australia) has consigned to history.
    Hilali was quoted in The Australian newspaper Thursday as saying in the sermon: "If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside ... without cover, and the cats come to eat it ... whose fault is it, the cats' or the uncovered meat's?"

"The uncovered meat is the problem. If she was in her room, in her home, in her hijab, no problem would have occurred," he was quoted as saying, referring to the headdress worn by some Muslim women.
    Hilali is the top cleric at Sydney's largest mosque, and is considered the most senior Islamic leader by many Muslims in Australia and New Zealand.

He has in the past served as an adviser to the Australian government on Muslim issues, but triggered a controversy in 2004 for saying in a sermon in Lebanon that the Sept. 11 attacks were "God's work against the oppressors." Hilali said later he did not mean that he supported the attacks, or terrorism.
    You do not condemn this culture and religious extremism that goes with it, and believe that those who have a problem with this vile culture are right wing fear mongers, therefore I assume you consent by silence and the ostrich approach to Muslim anti-semitism, homophobia and extremism in general.

Bull**** like that has nothing to do with what we chat about on here in my view.

Good to hear. Someone's perceived background really should have nothing to do with any discussions here.

Well, well, well. Still class these lads as 'freedom fighters' - http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22095099

Would you agree that the U.K. has a problem with islam? Would you agree that Ireland tends to ape British society, albeit, at a slower pace? If they have problems with islam, and they do, then us pursuing the same policies that caused their problems - is most foolish indeed.

I find it odd you are commenting on the UK when you don't live there. Not that you can't, of course. It just seems strange when you get fired up that I don't live in Ireland :confused:

As for multiculturalism? Well, we appear to be running round in circles on this one. I was lucky to grow up in an Ireland where I had family outside of Ireland, friends at school from different races, creeds and countries. And later, friends, loved ones and colleagues from other parts.

The scaremongering is something that some here have taken to, apeing, if you like, the extreme right in the UK.

I don't buy into the hysteria. To me "multiculturalism" is being able to have friends and family and colleagues from elsewhere, without being hectored at. To be open to other cultures and enjoy them. To get on with your neighbours. To go to a Fleadh, or an opera, or a temple. To treat each person as your equal, without any hang ups over their religion or colour of skin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I've never seen such mis-informed nonsense presented as fact in a thread in a long long time.

Good to hear. Someone's perceived background really should have nothing to do with any discussions here.
    Debate is what makes the place good and not insulting parents. If a thread heads down that road i am off.

That said if anyone ever made a sweeping generalization that all dockers(The men who unloaded the ships in the 40'-80s) were thieving drunks i would have a serious issue with that.

That said if anyone ever made a sweeping generalization that all dockers(The men who unloaded the ships in the 40'-80s) were thieving drunks i would have a serious issue with that.

what has that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Well, well, well. Still class these lads as 'freedom fighters' - http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22095099

That's Al Nusra - classed a terrorist organisation by the US

One of them is actually an American.

It's an example of one of the more unpleasant groups to arrive in Syria, it is by no means a representation of all foreign fighters.

Christians are also fighting in Syria, I doubt they'd appreciate the Islamic extremist label.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

stmol32 wrote: »
    Agreed, this proves their up to something... all of them.

And we've reached the popular consensus, that's formed my view, no more questions, kill them all!!

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    what has that got to do with anything?
    Nothing just like Old Hippy dad has nothing to do with any thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Jonny7 wrote: »
    That's Al Nusra - classed a terrorist organisation by the US

One of them is actually an American.

It's an example of one of the more unpleasant groups to arrive in Syria, it is by no means a representation of all foreign fighters.

Christians are also fighting in Syria, I doubt they'd appreciate the Islamic extremist label.
    By and large the Christians are keeping their heads down,wisely too,as whoever wins,Christians will be the whipping boys.

I have neighbours and friends who are syrian Christians (Assyrians/Suryoyo) and what they hear back from their families is that the militias are trying to purge them from their land. Some might say that it's just the Jihadi's, but the larger factions aren't doing anything to prevent it.

If anything,most would seem to back Assad, better the devil you know attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I don't think that it's a war to free Syria from Assad rule.

It's a war between sunni and shia. They hate each others guts.

Now Hamas distances itself from Iran

Hamas has never given “complete loyalty” to Tehran, said Bardawil, pointing out that Iran’s population is overwhelmingly Shia, whereas Gaza is Sunni. “The relationship was based on common interests.”

http://mg.co.za/article/2012-03-09-hamas-distances-itself-from-iranisraeli-tensions

It will come down to war in the Middle East, sunni countries vs shia countries.

For the 2 Irish boys killed in syria it was a trip of a lifetime their lifetime anyway.

They weren't fighting for their country(Ireland), they were fighting for some god that they believe "really" exists. Poor delusional boys.....now they're dead in the name of religion.

I wonder what allah must think of them killing each other in his name.
    Will both sides go to be with allah?, and the cost of supplying virgins for both teams must be pretty high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

old_aussie wrote: »
    For the 2 Irish boys killed in syria it was a trip of a lifetime their lifetime anyway.

They weren't fighting for their country(Ireland), they were fighting for some god that they believe "really" exists. Poor delusional boys.....now they're dead in the name of religion.

No, they were fighting in a popular uprising to displace a despotic dictator in the country they saw as their home, where the majority of their families still lived.

Were Irish who came home from the UK and US to fight in various uprisings and the civil war also as delusional as these two lads?

Seaneh wrote: »
    No, they were fighting in a popular uprising to displace a despotic dictator in the country they saw as their home, where the majority of their families still lived.

Neither of the two were from Syria. They were from Libya and Egypt, respectively. The Libyan was 16 and had never set foot in Syria beforehand. As per the Irish Times article - he had no family there.

Not too sure if the Egyptian had ever been there before or had family there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Seaneh wrote: »

Were Irish who came home from the UK and US to fight in various uprisings and the civil war also as delusional as these two lads?

They came home to fight for Ireland. No delusion there, Ireland is an actual place, not like god/allah which has not been proved to be actual.

The Irish lads who died in Syria were delusional because it's not a war to free Syria it's a war of sunnis vs shia's thinly disguised as a civil war.

They were doing jihad, that's why they were called jihadis.

Neither of the two were from Syria. They were from Libya and Egypt, respectively. The Libyan was 16 and had never set foot in Syria beforehand. As per the Irish Times article - he had no family there.

Not too sure if the Egyptian had ever been there before or had family there.

I'm fairly sure the Irish that fought in Spanish civil war never set foot in Spain before hand either.

They came home to fight for Ireland. No delusion there, Ireland is an actual place, not like god/allah which has not been proved to be actual.

The Irish lads who died in Syria were delusional because it's not a war to free Syria it's a war of sunnis vs shia's thinly disguised as a civil war.

NOWHERE in the quran is a sunni fighting a shia mentioned.That isn't jihad,they are labelled jihaddis by the west but that is not jihad.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the Irish that fought in Spanish civil war never set foot in Spain before hand either.

Yep. Whats your point caller?

The Irish, as Europeans, have been involved in most wars that involved Europeans. We have never really got involved in arab or african civil wars. Up until now. And we never really brought warped, backward and intolerant ideologies - such as militant islam, back home with us. Up until now.

• Advertisement

The lads that died (may they RIP) were based in Ireland. They were not born here. That is all.

This island has produced enough violent terrorists, as is. F*ck if I am taking the blame for this shower.

Advertisement