Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study of Radicalisation - 26 Irish Jihadis Fought in Syria

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Yep. Whats your point caller?

The Irish, as Europeans, have been involved in most wars that involved Europeans. We have never really got involved in arab or african civil wars. And we never really brought warped, backward and intolerant ideologies - such as militant islam, back home with us.

We haven't be involved in arab or afican conflicts no?,well that's news to me.I could've sworn we've been in Chad,Labanon,Iran,Iraq,Somalia,Eritrea,Sinai and the Congo.You could probably argue Bosnia also.Please show me where this militant islam is spreading here in Ireland.And since you know so much about militant islam surely you could quote me some verses from the quran which are compatible with murder and attacks on the west.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

pmcmahon wrote: »
    We haven't be involved in arab or afican conflicts no?,well that's news to me.I could've sworn we've been in Chad,Labanon,Iran,Iraq,Somalia,Eritrea,Sinai and the Congo.You could probably argue Bosnia also.Please show me where this militant islam is spreading here in Ireland.And since you know so much about militant islam surely you could quote me some verses from the quran which are compatible with murder and attacks on the west.

Peace keepers, buddy. Not combatants.

Attack when you have been attacked but don't be the aggressor? sounds like a very islamic principle to me.

Attack when you have been attacked but don't be the aggressor? sounds like a very islamic principle to me.

7/7, the Madrid bombings, 9/11, the attempted Glasgow bombing, the murder of Europeans who spoke up against militant Islam, the muslim riots over the mohammed drawing - would paint a very different picture.

7/7, the madrid bombings, 9/11, the murder of Europeans who spoke up against militant Islam, the muslim riots over the mohammed drawing - would paint a very different picture.

Ah you see,all those instances in fact oppose islam.You don't understand islam,i'm guessing you never read the book either,so what you have done is you have looked at these crackpots who stated to be doing the work of Allah and painted all muslims with the same brush.If you can show me in the qu'ran where it says it is permissible to murder civilians i will forfeit the argument to you and hate muslims just as much.

• Advertisement

Ah you see,all those instances in fact oppose islam.You don't understand islam,i'm guessing you never read the book either,so what you have done is you have looked at these crackpots who stated to be doing the work of Allah and painted all muslims with the same brush.If you can show me in the qu'ran where it says it is permissible to murder civilians i will forfeit the argument to you and hate muslims just as much.

Who said I hated muslims? Are you a recent convert?

Do you really want me to start linking from passages from the Quran? Look, passages from the Bible and Torah are also backward as f*ck - difference is very few take it literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've been in plenty of combat while on peace keeping missions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bein in the middle is worse than bein on one side or the other, some would say.

Did you go over there specifically to be a combatant? Or a peacekeeper? Did you come home and spread militant Islam?

I'm fairly sure the Irish that fought in Spanish civil war never set foot in Spain before hand either.

I doubt the few lads that went to fight for the croats were fluent in serbo-croat either. Or the lads that helped the PLO in Arabic, or the heads who aided the ANC in jaysus knows.

• Advertisement

Who said I hated muslims? Are you a recent convert?

Do you really want me to start linking from passages from the Quran? Look passages from the Bible and Torah are also backward as f*ck - difference is very few take it literally.

Well you seem to have a fear of groups of muslims coming Ireland.I'm not a convert myself (don't think i ever will be either) but i know quite a bit about islam.

All muslims are expected to take the Qu'ran literally,and so are chrisitians with the bible,jews with the torah etc etc.The problems arise when people start bending the words in the books to suit themselves and transgress against others.The problem isn't with islam or muslims,the problem is with the redneck muslims who seem to hump the media over here portraying islam as being a backward violent religion when it's not.Islam is actually quite progressive.

Did you go over there specifically to be a combatant? Or a peacekeeper? Did you come home and spread militant Islam?

have you any proof that any have come back and spread "militant Islam"? And what odds why anyone went?

Well considering he most likely isn't a muslim i'm guessing he didn't.:rolleyes:

Well you seem to have a fear of groups of muslims coming Ireland.I'm not a convert myself (don't think i ever will be either) but i know quite a bit about islam.

All muslims are expected to take the Qu'ran literally,and so are chrisitians with the bible,jews with the torah etc etc.The problems arise when people start bending the words in the books to suit themselves and transgress against others.The problem isn't with islam or muslims,the problem is with the redneck muslims who seem to hump the media over here portraying islam as being a backward violent religion when it's not.Islam is actually quite progressive.

Where can I find moderate muslims that dont hate homosexuals, that dont hate the west, that dont hate non believers, that are tolerant of other religions....

Where in Ireland can I find such muslims. Not in clongriffin, cause I looked.

Well considering he most likely isn't a muslim i'm guessing he didn't.:rolleyes:

...ye never know. He might have a secret beard somewhere.....

Where can I find moderate muslims that dont hate homosexuals, that dont hate the west, that dont hate non believers, that are tolerant of other religions....

You interviewed every muslim that attends the yet to be built clongriffin mosque? This is fascinating stuff. Tell us more.

You do know there isn't an islamic centre in Clongriffin (i think there's a small masjid/mosque though amirite?),that's where you're going wrong for starters.Take a trip down to Clonskeagh or South circular and your worries will be eased.The last time i went down there i came back with all my limbs so i'd imagine you'll be fine also.

Did you go over there specifically to be a combatant?

Yes, within five minutes of crossing the Lebanese/Israeli border I was given an FN rifle with 120 rds of ammo, a flakker and helmet.. Within days I'd seen the first (to me) casualties of war.

Or a peacekeeper?

Train for war, pray for peace.. What is a 'peace keeper' in an area of operations devoid of peace?.

Did you come home and spread militant Islam?

I came home and read the quran, no lie, although I didn't really study it.. I didn't believe Island was violent.

Last time I came home from the middle east I was convinced Island was violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

I've never seen such mis-informed nonsense presented as fact in a thread in a long long time.
    I'm not sure which post you were referring to, but if it was mine, everything I posted is real, has happened or is likely ongoing.

Yes, within five minutes of crossing the Lebanese/Israeli border I was given an FN rifle with 120 rds of ammo, a flakker and helmet.. Within days I'd seen the first (to me) casualties of war.

Train for war, pray for peace.. What is a 'peace keeper' in an area of operations devoid of peace?.

I came home and read the quran, no lie, although I didn't really study it.. I didn't believe Island was violent.

Last time I came home from the middle east I was convinced Island was violent.

You may know me da. Hes a bollocks but he served with on UN based Irish peacekeeping missions. Anyway, have you ever visited islamic countries as a tourist? Without the shoootah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Jonny7 wrote: »
    That's Al Nusra - classed a terrorist organisation by the US

One of them is actually an American.

It's an example of one of the more unpleasant groups to arrive in Syria, it is by no means a representation of all foreign fighters.
    The "Good terrorists/bad terrorists" defence.
    Christians are also fighting in Syria, I doubt they'd appreciate the Islamic extremist label.
    Overwhelming majority of Christians are fighting alongside the legitimate Syrian Army against the foreign, NATO backed terrorists.
    The FSA have fought alongside Al Nusra Front (Al Qaeda) and praised them. 2 sides of the same coin.
    The Syrian opposition is a mirror of the U.S backed Contra rebels in Latin america of the 80's.
    They were painted as plucky rebels by the media initially also....until the truth came out.

I know which side I'm on. And it's not Salafist fascists.

You may know me da. Hes a bollocks but he served with on UN based Irish peacekeeping missions. Anyway, have you ever visited islamic countries as a tourist? Without the shoootah?

Well I've been to Lebanon, Jordan, Syria and Eygpt while on UN leave and thats about it tbh.

If you mean more radicalized like Saudi, Yemen, Somalia etc then no I haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Lot of people mentioning the Spanish Civil War.
    It was illegal under Irish law for Irish citizens to partake in the Spanish Civil War under the Non-Intervention Act of 1937.
    As far as I know that law has not been revoked, yet returning Irish Jihadis are not being arrested.
    They're invited onto the Late Late Show for a soft soap interview like they're Medicine Sans Fronteres ffs.
    These people are engaged in a blatant sectarian conflict in Syria against Allawites, moderate Sunnis, Druze, Christians, and none of the above.

Well I've been to Lebanon, Jordan, Syria and Eygpt while on UN leave and thats about it tbh.

If you mean more radicalized like Saudi, Yemen, Somalia etc then no I haven't.

And whom do you think is financing these poorer countries? Saudi, Qatar, Yemen, etc.

They dont forget their muslim beliefs when they land in Dublin airport and go for a pint/bowl of coddle.

A sixteen year old muslim kid, who had never set foot in Syria - was enticed to fight there by radicals, and lost his life.

Is that not a cause for concern?

Wayne I'm not being an ass, but I've to hit the sack. I'll probably forget about the thread tomorrow so excuse my ignorance please.

I do have a lot of concerns re. the growth of Islam into Europe but I'm absolutely exhausted.. Gn, and regards to your father.

And whom do you think is financing these poorer countries? Saudi, Qatar, Yemen, etc.

They dont forget their muslim beliefs when they land in Dublin airport and go for a pint/bowl of coddle.

A sixteen year old muslim kid, who had never set foot in Syria - was enticed to fight there by radicals, and lost his life.

Is that not a cause for concern?

'Young lad does something risky shock'

How did ye go about meeting all them muslims in the non-existent clongriffin mosque wayne?

Have you any proof that any have come back and spread "militant Islam"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Perhaps you should have taken your obvious blinkers off first and looked a little harder.
    My accountant is Muslim, he doesn't hate non believers, doesn't hate the west, and like my most business associates we dont discuss sexual preferences as we don't need to.
    My niece converted to Islam, neither she nor her husband and his family certainly dont hate the west, get on very well with us "non-believers" in the family and friend circle including those gay members of it!
    The only extremism she encounters is being called names, assaulted, and spat on by right wing thugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Yep. Whats your point caller?

The Irish, as Europeans, have been involved in most wars that involved Europeans. We have never really got involved in arab or african civil wars. Up until now. And we never really brought warped, backward and intolerant ideologies - such as militant islam, back home with us. Up until now.

Other than Roman Catholicism!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

26 :pac: There's probably more than 26 people in my town who want Cork to secede from Ireland! Sure haven't we had plenty of Jihadis in our midst for over 100 years? They're called the IRA and some of them are still fighting a religious war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I think within the UN umbrella Irish soldiers have three different roles Buddy :

Unarmed UN observers.

Peacekeepers where they soldiers will fire in self defence

Peace enforcement where soldiers will shoot first to get peace i.e. use whatever means to get peace.Chad,Somalia and Liberia were examples.

Advertisement