Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study of Radicalisation - 26 Irish Jihadis Fought in Syria

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No, insane for getting so emotional and saying that you would rather die than see Ireland become less multicultural - even though you havent lived here in years!

Thats mad, ted. But all that said, id love to go for a beer with you. You are an interesting character.

Why is saudi the "mothership" for Islamic countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

old hippy wrote: »
    You don't live in Saudi Arabia and yet you described it as "demonic" a few posts back.

What's your point, caller?

Ok for you to have views on the rest of the world but how dare an Irish person who lives in another country have a view on Ireland?

Oh it is though, just on Matt Cooper that they are going to surgically paralysis a 24 year old man who committed the crime when he was 14 he stabbed another person leaving them paralysised good old Islam's law an eye for an eye, also women are now allowed ride motorbikes there for pleasures as long as they are doing it for pleasure, have a male relative present and are fully covered head to toe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Oh it is though, just on Matt Cooper that they are going to surgically paralysis a 24 year old man who committed the crime when he was 14 he stabbed another person leaving them paralysised good old Islam's law an eye for an eye, also women are now allowed ride motorbikes there for pleasures as long as they are doing it for pleasure, have a male relative present and are fully covered head to toe!

Clearly trying to entice hen parties to visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Gyalist wrote: »
    What action should the Irish government take against an Irish citizen serving in a foreign army who was responible for the troops under his command firing at Irish troops carrying out their legally-mandated UN duties?

Cancel his passport and deport him if he ever sets foot in Ireland again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Nodin wrote: »
    By the look of things, these people have yet to master fire....

Such a fimble oppressed people i heard they can't even afford food.

Cars must be cheap though..

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »

Many of the dead are found with undigested leather automotive upholstery in their intestines....it's a tragedy we thought gone with the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭opinionated3

this thread has descended into farce. I think we have to agree to disagree. Waynemolloy, Spanish Harlem,myself.....we are clearly on the same page. nodin etc have completely opposite views. not sure where this is headed but I for one am not for changing and I am going to hazard a wild guess that nodin will stick to his guns also. deadlock in a thread connected to the middle east, Syria, Islam, Israel etc. who would have thought that could happen on boards!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Airitech

Gyalist wrote: »
    What action should the Irish government take against an Irish citizen serving in a foreign army who was responible for the troops under his command firing at Irish troops carrying out their legally-mandated UN duties?

If we at war with the foreign army the Irish citizen could be tried under the Treason Act 1939:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treason_Act_1939

Section 1 of the Treason Act provides that treason can be committed by anyone in Ireland, or outside Ireland by any citizen or resident of Ireland. It was a capital offence, until the death penalty was abolished in 1990.[2] The sentence now is life imprisonment, with parole in not less than 40 years.[3]

Section 2 states that anyone who "encourages, harbours, or comforts any person whom he knows or has reasonable grounds for believing to be engaged in committing treason shall be guilty of felony."

This wouldn't cover UN duties but there might be some remedy under international or local law as there generally shouldn't be any reason to attack UN forces on peacekeeping missions.

Peace enforcement missions like Liberia I think might be different as they allow more scope for offensive action by the UN to enforce peace. (I think they are called Chapter 7 missions, but someone in the Defence Forces will give a more accurate reply than me).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

pmcmahon wrote: »

Yeah Saudi Arabia looks class. Would love to go out on the pull there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Airitech

Augmerson wrote: »
    Yeah Saudi Arabia looks class. Would love to go out on the pull there.

I hear its a great place for going on the lash too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

No, insane for getting so emotional and saying that you would rather die than see Ireland become less multicultural - even though you havent lived here in years!

Thats mad, ted. But all that said, id love to go for a beer with you. You are an interesting character.

I'd rather die than see people like you hold sway in Ireland, it's called principles and protecting those who you love. Nothing insane about that. I'm as Irish as much as you are and just because I happen to live elsewhere doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

What do you suggest? Infiltrating the Irish Muslim community? Not allowing them a place of worship?
    What's your solution? Besides the ostrich approach of "I can't see anything to worry about with my head stuck in the sand"
    I'd rather die than see people like you hold sway in Ireland, it's called principles and protecting those who you love. Nothing insane about that. I'm as Irish as much as you are and just because I happen to live elsewhere doesn't change that.
    Thing is, I enjoy the good things in life. Beer, pork, gambling, the sight of a nice looking woman on the street, the ability to learn and the capacity to grow beyond whats written in a 1500 year old book of horror stories etc. As well as respect for those whose lives and circumstances are different to my own, e.g. homosexuals, Jews, ex-Muslims etc.

Problem is that these things are fundamentally and irreconcilably incompatible with extremist Islam. It's perfectly clear that we can either have all the above, or we can have extremist Islam. Not both.

SeanW wrote: »
    What's your (.....) have extremist Islam. Not both.

Yep, we're really in danger of being taken over by "extremist Islam" allright. Getting to the stage ye have to whisper "pork chops" to the Butcher in case they do a halal ambush on ye on the way home.

SeanW wrote: »
    What's your solution? Besides the ostrich approach of "I can't see anything to worry about with my head stuck in the sand"

Thing is, I enjoy the good things in life. Beer, pork, gambling, the sight of a nice looking woman on the street, the ability to learn and the capacity to grow beyond whats written in a 1500 year old book of horror stories etc. As well as respect for those whose lives and circumstances are different to my own, e.g. homosexuals, Jews, ex-Muslims etc.

Problem is that these things are fundamentally and irreconcilably incompatible with extremist Islam. It's perfectly clear that we can either have all the above, or we can have extremist Islam. Not both.

No room for moderate, everyday Muslims, then? Like most communities?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Imma totally raaaaadical yo!!

No room for moderate, everyday Muslims, then? Like most communities?

Lets take your current location, Britain.

- 78 percent of British muslims think those who draw cartoons of Mohammad, should be punished.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/14/opinion/main1893879.shtml&date=2011-04-06

- A third of British muslims believe anyone who leaves islam, should be killed.

http://www.civitas.org.uk/pdf/ShariaLawOrOneLawForAll.pdf

- 40 percent of muslim students in Britain, want sharia law.

http://www.socialcohesion.co.uk/pdf/IslamonCampus.pdf

- 28 percent of British muslims want Britain to become an Islamic state.

- Two thirds of young British muslims agree honour violence is acceptable.

- 68 percent of British muslims believe those who criticise Islam, should be punished and jailed.

Moderates, eh?

This is the sort of thing this country needs like a hole in the head.

- 78 percent of British muslims think those who draw cartoons of Mohammad, should be punished.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/14/opinion/main1893879.shtml&date=2011-04-06

- 68 percent of British muslims believe those who criticise Islam, should be punished and jailed.

Moderates, eh?

That oul gack again?
    http://www.islamophobia-watch.com/islamophobia-watch/2008/7/27/a-third-of-muslim-students-back-killings.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Moderates, eh?

Wasting your time with this lot.......

Yeah, a far left site that calls itself islamophobia watch doesnt cut the mustard, buddy. Ive told you this before. Official state sponsored documents/stats/sites or none at all.

Yeah, a far left site that calls itself islamophobia watch doesnt cut the mustard, buddy. Ive told you this before. Official state sponsored documents/stats/sites or none at all.

....but you just listed a load of gack that wasn't from any "official state" site.

• Advertisement

....but you just listed a load of gack that wasn't from any "official state" site.

You havent a clue, old man.

You havent a clue, old man.

You just listed a load of stats that did not comply with your own standard, ie "Official state sponsored documents/stats/sites". Why, therefore, should any refutation have to be based on that stipulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I believe any Irish citizen found to be fighting for any foreign army ought to lose their right to citizenship here.

I believe any Irish citizen found to be fighting for any foreign army ought to lose their right to citizenship here.

Why? It's a centuries old tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Why? It's a centuries old tradition.

So was slavery. So are plenty of things. Doesn't make it right.
    If you want to go and fight for somewhere that isn't Ireland, clearly that identity matters more to you, and that's the one you ought to adopt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

So was slavery. So are plenty of things. Doesn't make it right.
    If you want to go and fight for somewhere that isn't Ireland, clearly that identity matters more to you, and that's the one you ought to adopt.

I know its been mentioned before, but what then about all the Irish that fought and died in the two world wars? Should they have had their citizenship rescinded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

tigger123 wrote: »
    I know its been mentioned before, but what then about all the Irish that fought and died in the two world wars? Should they have had their citizenship rescinded?

They didn't come back spreading dangerous ideologies incompatible with Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

They didn't come back spreading dangerous ideologies incompatible with Irish society.

And where's the evidence that this is happening at the moment? I don't think I've seen any evidence to support the claim made by the OP. Just idle speculation, bar stool talk and paranoia. You must have little else to be worrying about OP.

Dangerous ideologies like the one's coming from Wayne?

• Advertisement

Moderates, eh?

To be fair, far right extremists such as yourself worry me more.

Advertisement