Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with your parents at 25.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

That's it, grow up and have an opinion like yours and those who oppose shall be concentrated into camps...by the way your 'tache looks like Chaplin's.
    You really need to move out...... I'd say Mammy and Daddy have a great time when you're pontificating.:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Carson10 wrote: »
    Move out when ever suits you or when you feel you need to, not just cos every1 thinks you should.

Iam 28 and happily live at home and dont have a clue when il move out. I could afford to rent my own place, but iam not just going to do that just for the sake of saying i dont live@home.

Its the same mentality that has every1 in massive debt cos they were brainwashed into buying homes they couldnt afford in the last few years even when they didnt have a family/married etc.

2007, oh john doesnt live at home and has his own house.

2013 John is bankrupt, still young, had to move back home, house repossed. Worse off than ever!

Irish rule book = must be in a relationship by 25, move out soon after. married with kids by 30. age 31 realise you dont love ur chubby wife anymore and you didnt make the most of your late youth, Sit in and never go out anymore. BORING.....

mY Rule book = kiss my ass, live for now, do what i want, not just people think i should conform to a certain life pattern

This really made me laugh. Cringe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

people who live at home after 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I have to wonder how many mammies and daddies are out there secretly wishing their little 'independent children' will feck off out of home so they get get back to banging 24/7 like teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

hoodwinked wrote: »
    I have to wonder how many mammies and daddies are out there secretly wishing their little 'independent children' will feck off out of home so they get get back to banging 24/7 like teenagers.

I'm secretly counting down the days :o

• Advertisement

I'm secretly counting down the days :o

Me toooo ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I'd rather be living with my parents at 25, and not living in my own house with a massive mortgage.

I'd rather be living with my parents at 25, and not living in my own house with a massive mortgage.

Or you could simply rent like most people do...

People can live at home all they want but don't go convincing yourselves that the rest of us are debt-laden in negative equity married before 30 with 5 kids. There is a middle ground you know.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    he is now working in an area totally irrelevant to his degree after being unemployed for over a year
    Fair play to him for getting back into employment no?
    and is about to get into huge debt building a house. is happy lounging around playing playstation.
    Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I think it depends on the 25 year old.As in the op case I think it's fine.He's working towards something and is in a employment situation that he didn't create i.e the economy.He's at home where he can save up money and plan and think his next move.

Now there's another type I know of.I know a 26 year old who thinks it's his parents right to house him until he's bothered shaking a leg.He has a job in retail has for years.Tried college once or twice.No joy.The second time was 4 years ago.Tried emigrating But he got homesick and hated it over there (Canada where in general he could have just moved to a different area in canada because he was in some small isolated town) He's lazy, causes hassle and needs a kick in the rear.Now don't get me wrong.He's nice enough but he has it too good. This lark of people talking on this when they're ready don't rush.Ok don't rush but don't use it as an excuse to delay and delay.

I will probably be studying till I'm 25.I went college late at 21. I want to be at least out renting for my final year in a nice settled part time job. Then away to lands afar to explore and fight nazis over relics of power the year after I finish studying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

People who live at home with parent over 21 should receive much less welfare if the parents earn over 60K combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

In the past few years there are more and more people in their 30s and 40s living with their folks and it's not getting any easier out there.

I had to move home when i lost my job in 2010, i was 32. I'm out again (have my own place) because i have money again and i have a job.

I think nobody should be at home with parents if they have a Job or have a longterm girlfriend or boyfriend. Two people supporting each other could easily manage the rent.

Single people with no job and trying to rent. That would be hard when you have no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

As soon as I hit 18 I moved out of home. I returned when I was 30 and only planned to stay for 6 months to a year. I finally bought my own place at 35 and moved out permanently. It suited my needs at the time, my mum was on her own and was delighted to have me there, I paid my share of the bills/expenses and I had my own sitting room so we weren't in each others faces all the time. I couldn't care less what people may have thought about Me at the time.

If it suits your needs and your parents aren't on your case to get out then stay until it suits you to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I had to move home when i lost my job in 2010, i was 32. I'm out again (have my own place) because i have money again and i have a job.

I think nobody should be at home with parents if they have a Job or have a longterm girlfriend or boyfriend. Two people supporting each other could easily manage the rent.

Single people with no job and trying to rent. That would be hard when you have no money.

I moved out at 25, then my job had to let staff go, got a part time job but had no money left after rent and bills. I could not afford to feed myself so I had to move back home after 18 months as I got really sick and lost a lot of weight from lack of food. Didn't go out at the weekends, had no holiday in two years, heck haven't left Dublin in two years. I have no choice until I can get 30k a year job to move back out. I can't share with other people as I need my own space or I suffer from chronic anxiety being in constant contact with people.

It's not easy and with the cost of rent in Dublin going up with bills going up and wages dropping in the next month or so again. It's a death spiral, I can see why people are leaving the country and I will be as soon as I can as I can't afford to live here anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

I moved out at 25, then my job had to let staff go, got a part time job but had no money left after rent and bills. I could not afford to feed myself so I had to move back home after 18 months as I got really sick and lost a lot of weight from lack of food. Didn't go out at the weekends, had no holiday in two years, heck haven't left Dublin in two years. I have no choice until I can get 30k a year job to move back out. I can't share with other people as I need my own space or I suffer from chronic anxiety being in constant contact with people.

It's not easy and with the cost of rent in Dublin going up with bills going up and wages dropping in the next month or so again. It's a death spiral, I can see why people are leaving the country and I will be as soon as I can as I can't afford to live here anymore.

Spoke to a few people today who described Dublin just like you did

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

26, living at home, looking for work, and saving where/if possable. I moved out for about 18months when I was 23/24, had to move back home because of personal reasons though.
    I pay for my own food, cook for myself, do whatever household chores I need to do for myself, and anything I need for myself comes out of my own pocket.
    Living at home is a comfortable existance for most, if not all, im not disputing that imho you should always have your own little goal in your head of "i want to be moved out by this time/age" etc etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

We are all in the same boat!!
    Thanks to those greedy ............. who ruined this country and now we have to
    pay!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

My advice would be to get out, while you're young!

..then come back when you're older.

I moved out at 17 could not wait to have a house to myself, Bloody wish they would let me back in now.

By the way moved in with partner now have a 3 year old son.!

I wish i could stay in playing Xbox all day in a room upstairs having ma make dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Move out when ever suits you or when you feel you need to, not just cos every1 thinks you should.

Iam 28 and happily live at home and dont have a clue when il move out. I could afford to rent my own place, but iam not just going to do that just for the sake of saying i dont live@home.

Its the same mentality that has every1 in massive debt cos they were brainwashed into buying homes they couldnt afford in the last few years even when they didnt have a family/married etc.

2013 John is bankrupt, still young, had to move back home, house repossed. Worse off than ever!

Irish rule book = must be in a relationship by 25, move out soon after. married with kids by 30. age 31 realise you dont love ur chubby wife anymore and you didnt make the most of your late youth, Sit in and never go out anymore. BORING.....

mY Rule book = kiss my ass, live for now, do what i want, not just people think i should conform to a certain life pattern.

So basically; you have no social skills by the time you are almost 30 so no girl\bloke will have you so you have no idea when you'll move out.

Everyone in Ireland is in debt except for you. The rest of the Irish are imbeciles. Especially those people who have no interest in a 28 year old who gets their ma to wash their clothes for them and cook the dinner.

No worries, at least your steak will be cut into pieces for you when you get home tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

So basically; you have no social skills by the time you are almost 30 so no girl\bloke will have you so you have no idea when you'll move out.

Everyone in Ireland is in debt except for you. The rest of the Irish are imbeciles. Especially those people who have no interest in a 28 year old who gets their ma to wash their clothes for them and cook the dinner.

No worries, at least your steak will be cut into pieces for you when you get home tomorrow.

No need to post this. Your other posts in this thread showed a balance. Everyone knows both types e.g. one who wants to move out but can't afford it or inbetween places and the other who is basically waiting till their parents are dead.

• Advertisement

If you're living at home and pulling your weight and have plans to leave down the line and it genuinely suits everyone, then I see no problems but I do think standing on your own two feet when you're in a position to do so is good for you as your parents won't be around forever.

I have a brother who lived at home well into his 30s and contributed nothing and it almost tore my parent's relationship apart. It took a long time to get him to the point of independence but he's there now but it was a matter of letting him sink or swim. It would've gone on forever had my step mam not threatened to leave. I suppose after all the heartache, I'm a little biased but I can see how this is not how it is for everyone.

It is common here in Spain but the people I know who are are doing this are taking the piss (working full time and almost 40 and have never lived outside the home and in a position to move out) and it's not seen positively by everyone. There's a phenomenon in Spain right now of young people called the "ni nis" meaning "ni estudia, ni trabaja" (don't study, don't work) who are completely enabled by their parents. They get everything bought for them and have no reason to at least try. This I can not understand and genuinely question the parents motives when they bring up their kids to be so helpless. They won't be around forever.

As I said though, every case is different and the current situation has made it impossible for many and if it genuinely suits all parties and no one is taking the piss, then fire away. And living away from home and moving home is not the same as never having left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Im 26 been living at home since i left college, that was 4 years ago. Yes i do play ps3, yes i do have a job. Ive been working the last 3 years, spent 1 on the dole (mad laugh, then u get very bored). My gf moved in with us 2 years ago(both of us work, QFA and Teacher), and cos were getting married next year and are trying to save we cant really afford to move out. There are 101 reasons why we havent moved out, not just the economy.
    Even after we get married im sure we will stay until we get our shít together. Dont really see anything wrong with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

mY Rule book = kiss my ass, live for now, do what i want, not just people think i should conform to a certain life pattern.

I like your thinking. If you're not taken, will you marry me?

And take him away from Mammy? No chance girl...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I had to move home when I was 26 to finish saving for a mortgage. It was hard for everyone involved but we got through it.

Once you're over the age of 20 you should be looking to move away from home and stand on your own 2 feet for a while and if circumstances dictate you can always move home for a short period

His thinking is ridiculous though. He classed everyone (yes! everyone!) as debt-ridden. That's simply absurb. I'm renting, living within my means (always have) and don't owe anyone anything. Most of my friends are the same. When i moved out I shared bedroom with a friend and paid very little rent at the time.

I don't know anyone who fits this description. It's hardly common. Sounds like someone is justifying their lack of get up and go (no plans at all to move out? Really?). I'm 32, renting, not planning on kids and marriage any time soon. Living with your parents is not going against the grain for the love of god!

That's fine if it doesn't suit him to move out but don't make out like it's his way or mortgage, kids, a sexless, loveless marriage with 5 kids before 30. That's plan stupid and why anyone thanked his post I don't know. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I lived away from home 18-27 then moved back when I lost my job and wasn't in a good head space. My parents were great and it was the foundation and support needed to build myself up again financially and emotionally. Bought my own house last year so v grateful to them.

It's good to know that your parents are there and in turn you can be there for them. I wouldn't go setting any hard and fast rules on people or cast judgements cos everyone has different things at different times in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The sheer disinformation of many posts in this thread is disheartening.

To start off, it's usually a matter of character between individual and individual; You WILL definitely find the waster that wants to keep living with his/her parents so they don't have to take responsibility for anything, pay rent or bills and just have money to go and get drunk at the week end.

Then again, there are also a lot of people that, like the OP, simply decide to do things the right way - be it a degree, a postgrad or finding a decent job before moving out. Getting "your own place" when there are no suitable means of financial sustenance is just about the stupidest thing anybody could do, especially for a proud/independent individual that is dead set on standing on his/her own feet. The potential for devastation is great - from a simple blow to their self-confidence to crippling debt.

Finally, there's the worst scenario - the total waster that wants to keep living as a kid for her/his entire life. Doesn't study and doesn't want to; Doesn't work and doesn't look for employment. If anybody asks, they reply with "sure there are no jobs around!". They usually spend their days between the couch and the Sky box.

As you can see, it's not possible nor fair to paint everybody with the same brush.

As for the comments about Italy, again very little information there. The situation is very simple - Italy is a gerontocratic country that largely prevents young people from achieving anything, unless they are football players. The average salary young people can expect in there doesn't allow them to live out on their own; and that is, when it is paid at all: there is a widespread tendency for companies to immediately suspend paying salaries as the very first thing they do as soon as any type of financial trouble hit them. There will be money for a new company Mercedes, but the employees go home empty handed.

In many cases, Italian young people living out of home result in their parents having to contribute to their rent/bills, not because their children are irresponsible or piss-takers, but because they either get paid too little or not paid at all in their jobs.

Just to give you a measure of things, the last salary I received in Rome was 1250 euro a month, for a full time job as a software developer - we are talking hourly rates that would be barely above minimum wage here in Ireland, but for a job that is considered quite a qualified one, even in Italy itself. And yes, I was living out of home and getting to the end of the month paying everything was quite a messy struggle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

I was able to live on 22k a year, 400 rent for a one bed apartment, have a car, go out and get drunk on weekends. Why would you need 30k, I think you could manage it on 25k getting 1800 a month unless your living out of your means

• Advertisement

joetoad wrote: »
    I was able to live on 22k a year, 400 rent for a one bed apartment, have a car, go out and get drunk on weekends. Why would you need 30k, I think you could manage it on 25k getting 1800 a month unless your living out of your means

If your home is near where you work though and you like living there why would you just move out for the sake of it. Its just throwing money away, which you could either be saving up for buying/building your own house or simply just have more disposable income for spending on yourself every month.

As Im studying for a postgrad I'm living on a good bit less than 22k per year (though I get some extra money from my parents if I need it), have a nice car (though savings helped buy it) and pay for rent/going out but I would without doubt live at home if I was close enough to where I study and save myself a few 1000 every year in rent.

If I was on 50k a year and worked near home there is a good chance I would still be living at home to be honest and save the price of rent towards getting my own place down the line.

Advertisement