Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with your parents at 25.

Options
  • 01-04-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

So basically I turned 25 this week and I am still living at home with my parents. It's not uncommon in my circle of friends, we're almost all graduates getting by on part time or seasonal work but not enough for a year's lease on a place. However, I still partially feel like I should have left the nest at least a year ago and I'm a really big loser by still being here. :confused:

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

If your parents had any decency, they would deposit themselves into an old folks home so you could par-tay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

looooooooooooooooooser looooooooooooooooooooooser, to cool for school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Karpops wrote: »
    So basically I turned 25 this week and I am still living at home with my parents. It's not uncommon in my circle of friends, we're almost all graduates getting by on part time or seasonal work but not enough for a year's lease on a place. However, I still partially feel like I should have left the nest at least a year ago and I'm a really big loser by still being here. :confused:

Thoughts?

You're not alone OP.

The vast majority of posters on AH are living in granny flats in their parents house. Posting about atheism and criticising the government for cutting their dole. and playing Xbox games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

My advice would be to get out, while you're young!

..then come back when you're older.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

In the past few years there are more and more people in their 30s and 40s living with their folks and it's not getting any easier out there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Thoughts?

So 1 year.

Random unimportant People will call you a loser = (- 10 ) happiness points for maybe a day.

One day when your parents pass away and youre looking back you will realise you will have spent hundreds of days more with them than if you had moved out 1 year earlier = +10000 happiness points

(being mammied every day = priceless)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

There is nothing wrong with it OP, if you are happy and your parents are happy that's all that matters. Make sure you do stuff around the house to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It was all going fine until someone posted about atheism in post #5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

If your relationship with them is good then enjoy it while you can. I've been in and out of my folks for ten years. They are both getting on now and I had to come back for awhile and will be here till May and I love every second of it. Its good to cook for them now and do crap I would never do when I was a kant of a teenager.

We piss each other off at times still but sure its grand. You have plenty of time for chicks and parties when you move out and graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

get the f##k out and give them a rest
    this must be one of the only countries where the children NEVER leave home. find somewhere your parents have looked after you for long enough----i bet if your working you give your mam 50 euro a week and think thats enough for food -getting your washing done etc, pack tonight and don't come back.
    yours sincerley,
    Dad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

decky1 wrote: »
    get the f##k out and give them a rest
    this must be one of the only countries where the children NEVER leave home.

Cue response to this from Irish people living in Spain.

"People here live with their parents till they are in their thirties. It's normal. You are still young here in your thirties. I'm in my thirties. I'm still young".

No. No, you're not. Now, get out your Werthers Originals and start sucking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

This is just me, but I certainly wouldn't want to live with your parents at twenty-five.

Don't even know them. Imagine how awkward it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

You're not alone OP.

The vast majority of posters on AH are living in granny flats in their parents house. Posting about atheism and criticising the government for cutting their dole. and playing Xbox games.

This needs more thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Get out OP. Wont bore you with I was out by..... but I wouldnt like my kids living with me at 25. If you cannot earn a wage to support independent living at 25, then widen your horizons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

In the past few years there are more and more people in their 30s and 40s living with their folks and it's not getting any easier out there.

Forties!? That has to be bollocks.

I wouldn't be too surprised, considering the economic situation at the moment. In recent times many people have, in fact, moved back in with their folks because of money worries.

That doesn't mean you should be complacent though, if you can find an opportunity to flee the nest, then do so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Its people like you OP that sicken me to the teeth.
    You and your friends need to get off yer arses and get in the property ladder and get this economy moving again.
    Ye are worse than the developers who were duped into over building by you sitting around waiting for the right apartment to come along stagnating the housing market.
    Every 50 euro to your mum is 50 euro that could have an apprentice plumber plumb you house and not kicking stones down the street.
    For Shame.
    Ps Iv a couple of cheep units coming up later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

You're not alone OP.

and whinging when there old folks telephone allowance is cut- no more bb!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

Karsini wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too surprised, considering the economic situation at the moment. In recent times many people have, in fact, moved back in with their folks because of money worries.

That doesn't mean you should be complacent though, if you can find an opportunity to flee the nest, then do so. :)

Oh believe me, I'm trying!! I graduated from college three years ago, and the situation then was dire, so I ended up in part-time retail for two years whilst still furiously applying for full-time work that wasn't a dole-internship thing. Now I'm back in college doing a postgrad trying to give myself an extra addition to my CV so I can emigrate (possibly) in August once I'm finished. I'm barely earning enough from my part-time work to pay off my college fees, let alone save up a deposit and FLEEEEEE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

The way the economy is, I don't think that's in any way weird. A lot of people just can't afford to move out at the moment - I know quite a few people in their twenties who won't be able to leave any time in the forseeable future, just because it's hard to find work that pays well enough to cover a lease.

Like other posters have said, I only think it's a problem if the person is sitting around all day playing xbox and letting their parents do everything for them. If your parents are ok with it, and you're working/trying to find work/saving and contributing to the house in whatever way, then I don't see any problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

Its people like you OP that sicken me to the teeth.
    You and your friends need to get off yer arses and get in the property ladder and get this economy moving again.
    Ye are worse than the developers who were duped into over building by you sitting around waiting for the right apartment to come along stagnating the housing market.
    Every 50 euro to your mum is 50 euro that could have an apprentice plumber plumb you house and not kicking stones down the street.
    For Shame.
    Ps Iv a couple of cheep units coming up later in the year.

Go home Lando, you're drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Nothing wrong with it! Each situation is different. As long as you are helping out either financially, with housework or otherwise then its ok. Only gets weird if you still act like a lazy teenager and don't do anything to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

This thread has made me feel a bit better about living with the OP's parents. Cracking bit of shepherds pie tonight eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Go home Lando, you're drunk.

When I was your age Sony boy I had two or three houses bought and another one or two off the plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Didn't do my mate Norman any harm, what was his last name again,... oh Bates that's it :)

Joking aside, don't let society's expectations make you feel like a loser, it's that same society that shows you adverts that that insinuate any 25 year old bloke ought to be a cross between Russell Brand and Brad Pitt with sleeve tattoos, three days of stubble and girls quivering in their wake, some people even move back to their family homes in their 30/40's if things like marriages or careers don't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

When I was your age Sony boy I had two or three houses bought and another one or two off the plans.

Your Great!

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/36903911.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

My niece is 26 going on 27, and she lives at home with her parents. Nice enough kid, but Lord she is the laziest lump on the planet ! Even if we were still in the Celtic Tiger days & banks were throwing money at her to get home and a mortgage of her own, I bet she would still be living at home & letting her mammy do everything for her. She has a decent enough job. Her company have offered to send her on courses to improve her educational level in general, and her promotional chances at work. She has turned them all down as she just couldn't be arsed. Plus, it would mean not getting home from work until *gasp*... 8pm 2-3 nights a week....oh the horror ! :eek:

It's a terrible shame, as she is by far the brightest kid in her family. She is far brighter than her two siblings who both have multiple degrees to their name. She could really, really go far if she had just a bit of get up and go. She works for a financial services company but she has no clue about money or budgeting. As long as she has money to go out on the piss at the weekend, that's all she cares about. Best thing that could happen to her would be for her parents to kick her out and make her stand on her own two feet for a change. Her Da would be into doing that, but the mammy would never stand for it. It's a pity really as they are not doing her any favours at all by letting her cling onto the apron strings as long as she has.

Her mother was the eldest child in a very big family, all of whom were made leave school and go out to work at age 15/16. They had it very hard. I often think that parents that mollycoddle their kids are working out issues of their own, and go flat out to give the kids the kind of lives that they never had. It's totally understandable, but you'd wonder sometimes what long term harm they are doing to their kids in the process. Oh well.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,To make you feel a bit better,It is very common in Italy for the "kids" to be still at home well into adulthood.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/19/third-italians-live-with-parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shortie111

There's not much point in moving out for the sake of moving out and then having to return living back with the rents within a couple of months when the funds go! If you are seriously planning to emigrate in August, best to save whatever money you have and put it towards that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Im jus going 25 and still at home, many of my friends would be too. As much as I would love to move out, i simply haven't the money!

I've one more year studying an then hopefully I will be able to, I work but only part time an that wouldn't pay fck all!

Advertisement