Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with your parents at 25.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

It mightn't go too well OP

"Hi Mrs. Karpops,nice to meet you"
    "Hello,And you are?"
    "Ilik Urgee"

"Why yes please."

Don't say I didn't tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

shortie111 wrote: »
    There's not much point in moving out for the sake of moving out and then having to return living back with the rents within a couple of months when the funds go!

+1 Many people feel they should move out once they've reached a certain age. Move out when you're good and ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

OneArt wrote: »
    Forties!? That has to be bollocks.

Absolutely not and even older.

It's not uncommon at all in rural Ireland with families who run farms as a business that everyone would be living under the one roof for most of their lives.

As for this being the only country where this happens, it is extremely common in Asia for siblings, parents to share apartments of any age. People are quite frugal with the cash they earn, and if living under one roof cuts costs then so be it, there isn't any snobbery about it, it's seen as the most logical sensible option.

I remember in the 80's, Ireland being in a similar situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

My nephews live at home with their parents and i cannot see it changing any time soon, they all get along great, im a bit envious sometimes when i call and they are all cooking, laughing,the hustle and bustle of family life.
    I go home to a quiet house and while it's great i miss the family atmosphere, sitting around the kitchen table chatting and all those little moments you cherish. I think a family home is important and if kids want to stay, leave and return again then so be it, it's their home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I don't see the ish, really? True, it's better to live away from home, but if you have a good relationship with your folks, I don't see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

shortie111 wrote: »
    There's not much point in moving out for the sake of moving out and then having to return living back with the rents within a couple of months when the funds go! If you are seriously planning to emigrate in August, best to save whatever money you have and put it towards that!

Ah no, I'll be finished my postgrad then so I'll have a better shot of a job over in the UK, hopefully on a permanent contract. I'm just weirding myself out about the whole thing because I've two cousins the exact same age as me who have all moved out long ago (both with babies and mortgages at the moment) and I had to deal with my overly eager relatives asking me about my plans for the future.........................bleugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I love my parents but moved out when I was 19.

I couldn't imagine living through my twenties living with my folks.

It wouldn't have been half as much fun as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't see the ish, really?

I found when I moved out of home it helped me cease using annoying abbreviations.

Karpops, as a fella who moved out when he went to college & only moved back for a bit before going again, I'll say it's up to *you* when you move out. If you feel the need to go, go. If you feel the need to stay, stay. I've family in their 30s who stayed & others in their late 10s who left, and they both made their own way on life.

If you're going to move out, let it be because you want to. Not because of how old you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I think living independent of your family is a great experience and it's best to go for it once you can afford it. I see nothing wrong with staying at home tbough if everyone is happiest with that and you make a fair contribution once you can.

A lot of those who are quick to judge and go on about moving out at 18 were living off handouts or being subsidised by their parents. In a lot of cases they put their parents under much more financial pressure just to boast about their independence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I think it's ridiculous to live with your parents as a grown adult.

They are more than parents - they are a couple in their own right and should be given some privacy to live as a couple once they have their family reared. You wouldn't move in with another adult couple would you?

Move out and give then their lives back.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I'm 23, lived away for 2 years and moved home this year to save up, I hope eventually to go mainland Europe for postgrad and just live there, so as I have an end in sight it's not weird at all living here for the next year or 2! And I work , mum cooks and I don't do thaaat much around the house or contribute as much as I should to the housework sometimes.... It's still tough moving back after having 2 years of crazy 20s freedom, but it's worth it now saving up so I can feck off, and I'll be just about your age by the time I leave the nest for good. Mum's quite keen for me to get going though I think! By 25 I'll be gone but in your case I wouldn't rush at all if you're still studying and looking for work! Relish it, for the next 50 years then you'll be doing your own washing and cooking and everything, enjoy it while it lasts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

CaraMay wrote: »

They are more than parents - they are a couple in their own right and should be given some privacy to live as a couple once they have their family reared. You wouldn't move in with another adult couple would you?

What's ridiculous about it? Not everyone can afford to move out. I know plenty of people in their 30's still living at home. People working part time, people living on farms etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

And if the couple don't want or need an empty house?

Why must you dictate how others should think, feel and live their lives?

Actually I did live with another couple, I rented a room in their apartment when I was in college.

Also, I have three younger siblings at home who are all also in college. All of us make a part time wage, nowhere near enough for deposits/rent/bills. My parents privacy is not dependant on me.

It's them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

But what if they cant afford it? Is it still ridiculous?

Im back living with my parents after finishing college, more than likely i wont be moving out again for another year. I cant afford to move away at the moment. i only have a part time job plus saving for a masters on top of that.

Im grateful that my parents will have me back. They know im stuck. I pull my weight and give them rent too. I may hate the fact im back here but I dont think its ridiculous, if it will help me out in the long run.

Id rather live with my parents and save rather than be stuck struggling with bills and rent and pretty much go through my savings to keep my head above water.

sure im 25 next month and i plan at stay at home everyone pays there fair share

what a stupid thread

sure im 25 next month and i plan at stay at home everyone pays there fair share

what a stupid thread

So why are you here? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Karpops wrote: »
    So basically I turned 25 this week and I am still living at home with my parents. It's not uncommon in my circle of friends, we're almost all graduates getting by on part time or seasonal work but not enough for a year's lease on a place. However, I still partially feel like I should have left the nest at least a year ago and I'm a really big loser by still being here. :confused:

Thoughts?
    Jesus I was married 2 years at your age. Like yourself I didn't have enough money to support myself and my new wife but guess what? I just got on with it, took on deliveries at night, Christmas work in shops etc. My "parents" I'm using the term loosely were too busy drinking themselves to death to worry about my problems. One survives the other didn't. Fair play to you for posting on a public forum but I think you should get a place of your own, for your own self esteem if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Circumstances in Ireland have changed fairly drastically in the last few years. In case you haven't noticed we've just seen our economy crash and burn in a style not witnessed since the Great Depression !

If you've a roof over your head and can find something to keep your CV fresh, be thankful !!

There are plenty of others saddled with mortgages they'll never be able to pay off who are facing into years of insolvency and being "mammied" by faceless bureaucrats in some government insolvency agency that will be counting how many sheets of toilet roll they used !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Why is it seen as ridiculous, it's a place to eat and sleep, it's not like everyone is there 24/7 never leaving the house.

Parents are well used to the lack of privacy and know how to work round it.

There are some parents who do not want their kids to move out, kids keep some marriages together, once the kids grow up and leave parents can sometimes drift apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hotbunny

I think it would be a different answer for different people really. If you get on with your parents then there's no problem with it. If its something that's getting you down then maybe think of a house share? I certainly think your parents wouldn't have a problem with you being there anyway. Better to know your there and happy rather then living in a place where you can't afford the bills :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I wouldn't like to be living at home at 25 but fore some people circumstances dictate otherwise. Im away at college so im home at weekends and during holidays but I dont want to go back permanently if I can help it.

Im 28, lived at home until 24 and to be honest I'd probably be still living at home if I was working near home rather than wasting money on rent. I get on really well with my parents and we have a big house all with our own rooms (my sister lives at home as she works near home). I have plenty of friends still living at home that are working, now some of them are in progress of building houses etc and they just never bothered moving until they move into their own houses.

I really think this opinion on boards that people "should move out" or "get of your ass and move out" is absolute nonsense.

Also places like Italy and Spain have a much higher number of people living at home well into their 30's so people saying Ireland is the only place are talking nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I lived at home until I was 27. Oh the shame. I did spend a couple of summers away though.

I was so much in debt, that I couldnt get away properly. I couldnt afford too. I was living from week to week, paying loans. I was in a job I hated that made me miserable. I just wasnt happy. I decided to go back to college. So moving out and staying in a job I hated didnt make any sense.

So I spent a good two or three years paying loans and saving. It was only when I had some savings at 27, I moved out and went to college for 2 years.

Im 30 and back at home now after finishing the course. Im applying for work and its quite depressing at home.

I want to be free. Im working on it. Im either going to australia or the uk in a few months. Maybe somebody can help me decide? Do I go to oz for a year and come back? Or the uk, or europe where I can stay working?

Im lucky I still have savings, which is enough for the australian bank account. But australia is expensive and il be back after a year. Or do I go and use what i've got in savings and get set up in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

To each their own!

I'll be 28 this year and still at home. The thought of leaving has never really crossed my mind. I've no siblings, it's just me and my mam. I work 10 mins away so it's handy. Plus it's my home and I like it. I'm able to save this way and spend money on nice things (got a brand spanking new car last year). I have no plans to move out and tbh I can't ever see it happening unless I meet someone I really like and we decide to live together. I couldn't give a toss what other people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I don't know why people waste their time with college, for the good life all you need is a drug addiction.

Solair wrote: »
    There are plenty of others saddled with mortgages they'll never be able to pay off who are facing into years of insolvency and being "mammied" by faceless bureaucrats in some government insolvency agency that will be counting how many sheets of toilet roll they used !

It's a great point and when looking deeper quite true.

On another note, I know of some married couples who had to move home with parents, lost the plot during the boom or have hit hard times, no job, no income and have to start all over again.

I wouldn't be at all judgemental about them, it wasn't their plan but that's life, you got to suck it up sometimes to start moving forward again.

As for those who judge, leave your snobbery at the door, life has a strange way of levelling the playing field and dealing out the medicine when you least expect it to.

Im 30
    I want to be free. Im working on it. Im either going to australia or the uk in a few months. Maybe somebody can help me decide? Do I go to oz for a year and come back? Or the uk, or europe where I can stay working?

Well, based on your age, this is your last chance to apply for the working holiday visa which will give you a free pass into Australia for a year. So you could go there and see how things work out.

If it doesn't work out you can always come back to the UK which is always open to your options.

You would want to start applying for that holiday visa now though as we are already in April and there is big demand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

books4sale wrote: »
    Well, based on your age, this is your last chance to apply for the working holiday visa which will give you a free pass into Australia for a year. So you could go there and see how things work out.

If it doesn't work out you can always come back to the UK which is always open to your options.

You would want to start applying for that holiday visa now though as we are already in April and there is big demand.

Is there a set number of working holiday visa's they hand out? Thought I have until im 31, which is in september. I was going to apply in june or july. Is that time enough?

Advertisement